PDA

View Full Version : Any theories as to where this new London accent

7sisters
07-27-2018, 01:06 PM
came from ? Easy to say it’s a black thing but I don’t recall the likes of Daley Thompson or Kenny Lynch pronouncing the word, plate as pleet.
Or, night as nayyyte. Does this twang have a name ?
I mean, is old skool cockney now confined to the fringes of the Home Counties, with the higher concentrations along the sarfend arterial ?

Sir C
07-27-2018, 01:08 PM
came from ? Easy to say it’s a black thing but I don’t recall the likes of Daley Thompson or Kenny Lynch pronouncing the word, plate as pleet.
I mean, is old skool cockney now confined to the fringes of the Home Counties, with the higher concentrations along the sarfend arterial ?

Everyone sounds like Ali G to me. I assume they're taking the piss.

Arks. That's the thing that really boils my píss. Don't arks me why.

Ash
07-27-2018, 01:25 PM

You mean fringes (outer boroughs) of London and the home counties, I presume. Of course there are older people in the inner boroughs who are still a bit 'ave a banana. Cockney actually came in from Essex, as it goes. The original London accent may have been a flatter, more neutral sort of RP, ISTR, according to an eminent London historian whose name currently escapes me.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
07-27-2018, 01:33 PM

Prince Buster

The first thing she arks, "Did you have your brush?
If you have your brush, you can avoid the rush."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbpTqvi08x4

Sir C
07-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Prince Buster

The first thing she arks, "Did you have your brush?
If you have your brush, you can avoid the rush."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbpTqvi08x4

Ah yes, the old school stuff, nice one.

Absolute shíte, of course.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
07-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Ah yes, the old school stuff, nice one.

Absolute shíte, of course.

As a black Jamaican identified your casual racism infuriates me. Next you'll be telling me that my beloved Ska music is simply a load of old pidgin english bawled repeatedly over a repetitious, slightly out of kilter beat, recorded on a crackly 50's tape deck in a Trenchtown hovel!

Ash
07-27-2018, 02:03 PM
As a black Jamaican identified your casual racism infuriates me. Next you'll be telling me that my beloved Ska music is simply a load of old pidgin english bawled repeatedly over a repetitious, slightly out of kilter beat, recorded on a crackly 50's tape deck in a Trenchtown hovel!

Ska is ace! :thumbup:

Sir C
07-27-2018, 02:04 PM

I'm no racist. I'm a keen admirer of soul music, blues music and the other Great Black Music - Tanzanian hip hop, known of course as Bongo Flava :cloud9:

SWv2
07-27-2018, 02:12 PM

Some tremendous stuff came from Trojan.

:nod:

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
07-27-2018, 02:17 PM

Exactly.

Pwoppa skin'ead choons.

SWv2
07-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Exactly.

Pwoppa skin'ead choons.

Don Letts did a very good documentary on either Sky Arts or BBC4 on the whole Skinhead thing, was excellent how he charted the path from origin to the racist thuggery of later years.

And I say this a no fan of DL.

7sisters
07-27-2018, 02:23 PM

Ah. But let’s not forget these chaps while we’re trapesing about in the green and gold

https://youtu.be/UhH1Lxv-8sA

Ash
07-27-2018, 02:37 PM
Don Letts did a very good documentary on either Sky Arts or BBC4 on the whole Skinhead thing, was excellent how he charted the path from origin to the racist thuggery of later years.

And I say this a no fan of DL.

80s skinheads :shudder:

They were obviously racist but they were also capable of issuing indiscriminate beatings to anyone.

IUFG
07-27-2018, 02:37 PM

They were obviously racist but they were also capable of issuing indiscriminate beatings to anyone.

equal opportunity beatings?

Ash
07-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Ah. But let’s not forget these chaps while we’re trapesing about in the green and gold

https://youtu.be/UhH1Lxv-8sA

:thumbup: If we keep going like this Headgear might turn up.

Ash
07-27-2018, 02:38 PM
equal opportunity beatings?

:nod: Absolutely.

SWv2
07-27-2018, 02:43 PM

Not unknown as a young Mod to be chased around Belfast by skinheads.

There was one in our town, even tried the NF thing even though it was slightly futile given the demographic. Used to get his shít kicked in on a regular basis but as much to do with being a Protestant as his extreme left wing leanings.

eastgermanautos
07-27-2018, 02:59 PM

Haha, you Old Man you.

With that being said, nothing is quite as awful as my accent.

redgunamo
07-28-2018, 11:10 AM
:nod: Absolutely.

Yes, you can't say fairer than that really, can you.