PDA

View Full Version : Nice of Greece to steal Sweden’s forest fire thunder.

Billy Goat Sverige
07-24-2018, 08:31 AM
I see Japan has declared a natural disaster as well because of the 40’C heat. Global warming, AWIMB.

Brentwood
07-24-2018, 08:38 AM
Oslo has hardly dropped below 30 since May

Burney
07-24-2018, 08:41 AM
I see Japan has declared a natural disaster as well because of the 40’C heat. Global warming AWIMB.

It's snowing in Australia, apparently. Mad times, bgm

IUFG
07-24-2018, 08:43 AM
I see Japan has declared a natural disaster as well because of the 40’C heat. Global warming AWIMB.

Would global warming happened during the times when humans were not around?

I mean, sure, we'll fúck the planet up, but is this just an event that would have happened in a 1000's-1000000's year cycle anyway?

:tinfoilhat:

But quite frankly, who cares? I'm enjoying the weather.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
07-24-2018, 08:52 AM

I mean, sure, we'll fúck the planet up, but is this just an event that would have happened in a 1000's-1000000's year cycle anyway?

that was unchanged for 20 million years before by introducing 10 million* tons of lead particulate into it. This will have had no effect whatsoever on anything and attempts to say otherwise are just the mischief making of lefty troublemakers who want to stand in the way of man's progress (oil company profits).

*this figure could be a wild guess

Billy Goat Sverige
07-24-2018, 08:55 AM
Oslo has hardly dropped below 30 since May

We went from 4 1/2 feet of snow in April to mid twenties within three or four weeks. It’s been warm ever since then (apart from one week around midsummer) and now it’s baking hot and in the 30s. Hardly any rain as well since the winter which is why everything is burning.

Burney
07-24-2018, 09:02 AM

I'm sitting under a sunshade at my garden table working on my laptop. Could be worse.

Peter
07-24-2018, 09:10 AM
I'm sitting under a sunshade at my garden table working on my laptop. Could be worse.

I'm sat in an air conditioned office pretending to work on my iPad.

COuld be worse, I could be at the police station being accused of racism.

IUFG
07-24-2018, 09:32 AM
working on my laptop

Working. :hehe:

Burney
07-24-2018, 09:44 AM
I'm sat in an air conditioned office pretending to work on my iPad.

COuld be worse, I could be at the police station being accused of racism.

Ah, yes. Is that still going on? What kind of foreigners are these that you've been racist to, anyway, p?

Rich
07-24-2018, 09:47 AM
I see Japan has declared a natural disaster as well because of the 40’C heat. Global warming, AWIMB.

I appreciate it may come across as insensitive, but how do so many people die in a forest fire? It's not like it moves at the speed of light, is it? Surely people see the fire encroaching upon their home and leave, realising that throwing buckets of water on it would be futile.

Why stay & try and defend it? This is what home insurance is for.

Burney
07-24-2018, 09:49 AM
I appreciate it may come across as insensitive, but how do so many people die in a forest fire? It's not like it moves at the speed of light, is it? Surely people see the fire encroaching upon their home and leave, realising that throwing buckets of water on it would be futile.

Greeks, r. Probably too lazy to get out of the way.

Peter
07-24-2018, 09:50 AM
Greeks, r. Probably too lazy to get out of the way.

And the worst part was in a coastal resort. Cant you just go on the beach and maybe get in a boat?

Is the fire going to chase you into the ocean??

Sir C
07-24-2018, 09:52 AM

I bet you pop into the shed from time to time to spanner one off, don't you?

Rich
07-24-2018, 09:52 AM
And the worst part was in a coastal resort. Cant you just go on the beach and maybe get in a boat?

I despair. What is wrong with people?!

Peter
07-24-2018, 09:56 AM
I despair. What is wrong with people?!

I suppose you get caught up in a panic and dont know what you are doing.

Run like **** would be my default position and I would definitely head towards water. I suppose some got caught out.

Burney
07-24-2018, 09:58 AM
I bet you pop into the shed from time to time to spanner one off, don't you?

Lord, no! It's far too hot for self-abuse. And the shed is full of garlic.

Besides, the cleaner's here. :-(

Burney
07-24-2018, 10:00 AM

We must assume they were all asleep (again, Greeks) and were overcome with noxious fumes, I suppose.

IUFG
07-24-2018, 10:01 AM

Perhaps the massive consumption of oxygen by the massive fcking fire can deprive living animals of a basic requirement for life.
Fúcks sake, perhaps we can get a primary school child to explain the fundamentals of existence to you, r.

Sir C
07-24-2018, 10:03 AM
Perhaps the massive consumption of oxygen by the massive fcking fire can deprive living animals of a basic requirement for life.
Fúcks sake, perhaps we can get a primary school child to explain the fundamentals of existence to you, r.

He claims to be a fúcking doctor, i.

A doctor.

IUFG
07-24-2018, 10:07 AM
He claims to be a fúcking doctor, i.

A doctor.

incredible innit

Rich
07-24-2018, 10:10 AM

This theory assumes that the fire had got incredibly close. Indeed, close enough to burn you as well.

You would think that one of the following things may have happened prior to that:

i) You know there is a forest fire in the vicinity & are therefore watchful over its progress (even at night).
ii) You are awoken by a neighbour/the fire service/the police as they see the fire rapidly progress towards your property.
iii) You know the fire is close to choose to move elsewhere until all is said and done.

Something doesn't add up & I cannot fathom what.

Burney
07-24-2018, 10:10 AM
incredible innit

To be fair, you do have to get pretty close for it to eat all your oxygen. This does speak of a certain lack of vigilance on the part of our now-departed bubble chums imo.

Rich
07-24-2018, 10:14 AM
To be fair, you do have to get pretty close for it to eat all your oxygen. This does speak of a certain lack of vigilance on the part of our now-departed bubble chums imo.

Thank you, B. IUFG's post enforces my belief some humankind simply lack the intelligence to put the massive forest fire racing towards them & potential death together & make a logical decision based on it.

IUFG
07-24-2018, 10:18 AM
Thank you, B. IUFG's post enforces my belief some humankind simply lack the intelligence to put the massive forest fire racing towards them & potential death together & make a logical decision based on it.

or perhaps the local weather conditions, changed by the massive fúcking fire, cause the fire to circle around on itself and trap animals (all of which have an survival instincts) within?

I admit that, say, a racoon, doesn't try and rescue its fúcking ipad from a burning house before beating a hasty retreat.

Rich
07-24-2018, 10:20 AM
or perhaps the local weather conditions, changed by the massive fúcking fire, cause the fire to circle around on itself and trap animals (all of which have an survival instincts) within?

I admit that, say, a racoon, doesn't try and rescue its fúcking ipad from a burning house before beating a hasty retreat.

Perhaps the weather conditions did change. But if that is the case, why did the Fire Service/Police not evacuate people based on the forecast? It stinks of incompetence/laziness.

IUFG
07-24-2018, 10:20 AM
This theory assumes that the fire had got incredibly close. Indeed, close enough to burn you as well.

What close enough to kill? I think we've arrived back at the start, haven't we?

Rich
07-24-2018, 10:27 AM
What close enough to kill? I think we've arrived back at the start, haven't we?

No. We have reached the stage where all concerned are surprised that one of the aforementioned scenarios (all of which would have mitigated the loss of life) had not come to fruition prior to the fire being close enough to asphyxiate/burn.

Burney
07-24-2018, 10:27 AM

To be fair, you're just hypothesising now, though, aren't you?

No, for me, there's no excuse for getting killed by a forest fire in this day and age. I can't imagine what they thought they were up to.

IUFG
07-24-2018, 10:33 AM

No, for me, there's no excuse for getting killed by a forest fire in this day and age. I can't imagine what they thought they were up to.

I am actually.

Fundamentally the terrain and wind speed are the things that make the fire unpredictable.

A strong wind fuels the fire which in turn creates a strong wind, which fuels the fire...

The unpredictability of the fire is what kills.

That and gross stupidity

Rich
07-24-2018, 10:33 AM

We are assuming that the Fire Service are battling the fire 24 hours a day. However, we cannot rule out the possibility that 16:00 comes & they simply down tools and head off for some raki. 'We'll pick this up in the morning, lads'.

barrybueno
07-24-2018, 11:38 AM
I suppose you get caught up in a panic and dont know what you are doing.

Run like **** would be my default position and I would definitely head towards water. I suppose some got caught out.

Maybe they were following our London Fire Brigades advice of staying put, the fire is more scared of you than you of it etc. Or is that spiders?

Peter
07-24-2018, 11:59 AM
Maybe they were following our London Fire Brigades advice of staying put, the fire is more scared of you than you of it etc. Or is that spiders?

Yeah. Run like **** tends to work for me in all sorts of scenarios.... Fire, snakes, relationships.....