PDA

View Full Version : So with hindsight (and as England didn't win it) I'm happy to say that was probably

Burney
07-16-2018, 01:57 PM
the best World Cup I can remember. Lots of incident, remarkably few really tedious games, not too many games decided on pelanties and the best team won it. Most satisfactory - for international football.

PSRB
07-16-2018, 02:00 PM
the best World Cup I can remember. Lots of incident, remarkably few really tedious games, not too many games decided on pelanties and the best team won it. Most satisfactory - for international football.

All very enjoyable and has certainly filled that tedious summer gap.

We also appear to have picked up some decent additions whilst I've been away

Sir C
07-16-2018, 02:01 PM

:-( No Oranje, no party b.

Otherwise it was fun, I grant you. Especially seeing the likes of Argentina and Germany going home so early :hehe:

Burney
07-16-2018, 02:04 PM
:-( No Oranje, no party b.

Otherwise it was fun, I grant you. Especially seeing the likes of Argentina and Germany going home so early :hehe:

Yes. I'm also prepared to concede that England having a decent run gave it an extra piquancy it might otherwise have lacked.

I did think the Dutch thing was a shame, but the fact is that they're a bit dogsh1t at the moment. :-(

Peter
07-16-2018, 02:05 PM

It all seemed a bit meh in the end. France were the best side but at the same time they didn't really look very good.

Germany going out early made it a good world cup :)

Lots ofSpurs players went deep into the tournament, most of ours were home nice and early. That's nice

Peter
07-16-2018, 02:05 PM
Yes. I'm also prepared to concede that England having a decent run gave it an extra piquancy it might otherwise have lacked.

I did think the Dutch thing was a shame, but the fact is that they're a bit dogsh1t at the moment. :-(

I missed Italy's rank negativity.

Burney
07-16-2018, 02:08 PM
I missed Italy's rank negativity.

I would argue that Italy's absence was a major factor in its watchability. I think they ought to be banned permanently from World Cups.

Sir C
07-16-2018, 02:10 PM

:nod: And no sign of anything changing, really.

Bosman killed Dutch football. :-( Belgian prick.

Ash
07-16-2018, 02:12 PM

Yup, splendid World Cup. :nod: I can't remember enjoying one so much for ages. And most of our players back at home getting ready to win the league while most of Spurs' first team only came home yesterday. wd Belgium and England for going so far. :-)

Shame about all the violence and racism of the barbaric, inhospitable locals though, as we were warned about. Oh wait. None of that was true.

Sir C
07-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Yup, splendid World Cup. :nod: I can't remember enjoying one so much for ages. And most of our players back at home getting ready to win the league while most of Spurs' first team only came home yesterday. wd Belgium and England for going so far. :-)

Shame about all the violence and racism of the barbaric, inhospitable locals though, as we were warned about. Oh wait. None of that was true.

Have you spent much time in Russia, a?

Burney
07-16-2018, 02:16 PM
:nod: And no sign of anything changing, really.

Bosman killed Dutch football. :-( Belgian prick.

:-( We should let the top Dutch teams join the Premier League imo.

Sir C
07-16-2018, 02:19 PM
:-( We should let the top Dutch teams join the Premier League imo.

I think the advantage they had for all those years was having a system that was geared to producing footballers for whom technique was ingrained, from the age of 6 onwards. Technique, technique, technique. Teaching kids to love the football and to bend the ball to their will.

Now every **** does it. :-(

Burney
07-16-2018, 02:22 PM
I think the advantage they had for all those years was having a system that was geared to producing footballers for whom technique was ingrained, from the age of 6 onwards. Technique, technique, technique. Teaching kids to love the football and to bend the ball to their will.

Now every **** does it. :-(

:nod: Just like our advantage used to be that Wenger knew how good the Clairefontaine academy was and basically gave us the pick of every French player coming through it for several years - until everyone else cottoned on. :-(

Ash
07-16-2018, 02:45 PM
Have you spent much time in Russia, a?

No, but I did have breakfast in Belvedere on Saturday, and went into a pub in Crayford. So my life isn't entirely free of adventure.

Sir C
07-16-2018, 02:51 PM
No, but I did have breakfast in Belvedere on Saturday, and went into a pub in Crayford. So my life isn't entirely free of adventure.

Belvedere? :shudder: Talk about barbaric!

Ash
07-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Belvedere? :shudder: Talk about barbaric!

You'd have loved it. The caff was decked out with plastic England flags. Canned tomatoes, strong tea served by a lady with a purple face.

Burney
07-16-2018, 03:03 PM
You'd have loved it. The caff was decked out with plastic England flags. Canned tomatoes, strong tea served by a lady with a purple face.

Canned tomatoes. :-( There really is nothing more disgusting in a fry-up. Apart from beans, obviously.

Sir C
07-16-2018, 03:05 PM

Yes, but Belvedere... was this somewhere on the spine road, where all the factories are?

I scarped the walls of a Marmite factory there when I first left school. Then I cleaned out a grain silo. Jesus H Christ, the filth in both those places was beyond human comprehension.

Burney
07-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Yes, but Belvedere... was this somewhere on the spine road, where all the factories are?

I scarped the walls of a Marmite factory there when I first left school. Then I cleaned out a grain silo. Jesus H Christ, the filth in both those places was beyond human comprehension.

I scraped the walls of your mum's Marmite factory.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :-(

Ash
07-16-2018, 03:58 PM

It was on a little parade just north of the station. After brekky we turned east and headed to Erith. Are you sure your Marmite factory wasn't there? It's thrillingly industrial with a very modern focus on sustainability, due to the high concentration of metal recycling facilities. Which used to be called scrapyards. :hehe:

Ash
07-16-2018, 04:00 PM
Canned tomatoes. :-( There really is nothing more disgusting in a fry-up. Apart from beans, obviously.

Well, mushrooms, basically - or as Headgear used to accurately describe them - the devil's cock-fungus.

Tony C
07-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Meh :shrug: fell asleep during the final

Players acting like f aggots with video game celebrations :shrug:

Martinez / Southgate could’ve won a World Cup :shrug:

Ar ses walking around in waistcoats now :shrug:

Billy Goat Sverige
07-16-2018, 04:32 PM

The next one is going to be around Christmas time. It's not right, B :-(

Ash
07-16-2018, 04:59 PM
The next one is going to be around Christmas time. It's not right, B :-(

And the one after that will have 48 teams :-(

Tony C
07-16-2018, 05:23 PM
England’s 2026 WC Group

England
Israel
Burkino Faso
Tahiti

:cloud9:

Winners play the 2nd place team from Netherlands, Kosovo, North Korea and Rwanda...so that’s England v Netherlands in the 2nd round.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
07-16-2018, 08:22 PM
It all seemed a bit meh in the end. France were the best side but at the same time they didn't really look very good.

Germany going out early made it a good world cup :)

Lots ofSpurs players went deep into the tournament, most of ours were home nice and early. That's nice

The sign of a successful world cup imo