PDA

View Full Version : The greatest trick Southgate has pulled is in creating what is basically a carbon

Luis Anaconda
07-04-2018, 07:59 AM
copy of the Wimbledon sides of the mid-90s (ie not the good one but the one that kept them up each year) and people seem to like it. This side has almost no creativity outside set-pieces and relying on Trippier and Young crosses

Sir C
07-04-2018, 08:03 AM
copy of the Wimbledon sides of the mid-90s (ie not the good one but the one that kept them up each year) and people seem to like it. This side has almost no creativity outside set-pieces and relying on Trippier and Young crosses

They do look a bit... ordinary, don't they? Obviously they are to be applauded for making the best of limited resources, but it's not exactly scintillating to watch.

I suspect the game against Sweden will be a dull off. They will essentially try to bore each other into submission.

SWv2
07-04-2018, 08:08 AM

Trippier and Young appear, in their own minds, to have invented themselves as some kind of dead ball experts.

Luis Anaconda
07-04-2018, 08:12 AM
They do look a bit... ordinary, don't they? Obviously they are to be applauded for making the best of limited resources, but it's not exactly scintillating to watch.

I suspect the game against Sweden will be a dull off. They will essentially try to bore each other into submission.

I suspect Swedish players might be clever enough not to rugby tackle Harry Kane in the penalty area. We may struggle to score

Luis Anaconda
07-04-2018, 08:13 AM
Trippier and Young appear, in their own minds, to have invented themselves as some kind of dead ball experts.

****s the pair of them. We used to have Gary Neville and Ashley Cole; Anderson and Sansom; Pearce and Dixon - proper full backs

Billy Goat Sverige
07-04-2018, 08:16 AM

That’s why I think Sweden will have a good chance against them. They’ll be able to cope with them at set-pieces and cause a few problems going the other way. It’s saying something when the most creative thing you’ve got your team doing is lining up in a line on corners.

Luis Anaconda
07-04-2018, 08:19 AM
That’s why I think Sweden will have a good chance against them. They’ll be able to cope with them at set-pieces and cause a few problems going the other way. It’s saying something when the most creative thing you’ve got your team doing is lining up in a line on corners.
I don't blame him for playing to his strengths and at least they do some set piece work (the one against Panama was excellent), but yes, Sweden will be ready for it - looked pretty solid yesterday

SWv2
07-04-2018, 08:21 AM
****s the pair of them. We used to have Gary Neville and Ashley Cole; Anderson and Sansom; Pearce and Dixon - proper full backs

I am a fan of neither as both individuals and also as footballers however I think to a degree Southgate has been clever tactically, playing 2 of his current back 3 would leave them exposed to a moment of pure Stones-ness or perhaps Maguire romping up the pitch like a building site equivalent of Ruud Krol.

The current trio with the undoubted pace of Walker, allied with the two lads who are essentially wingers, also allows them to compensate for an extremely bang ordinary and workmanlike midfield. Your Lingaard and Alli characters last night for example, anonymous. Henderson I cannot figure out and Dier when he came on just looked incompetent yet emerges a hero.

And here we are, extremely likely to be 90 minutes from a World Cup final and in the way a Croatia side who could in the mood teach them a lesson, or as I fear could be ‘bored’ into a very low scoring who takes their chance and progresses event.

I am worried LA. I do not mind admitting it.

WES
07-04-2018, 08:22 AM

I recall a few nice passages of play, the header that Kane missed in the first half, Rose going close and Dier's header in the ET. Not a lot I agree but Colombia are a good side whom the referee allowed to be very physical. They were always going to be difficult to break down.

Nonetheless, England completely controlled the game other than the first half of ET. :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
07-04-2018, 08:33 AM
I recall a few nice passages of play, the header that Kane missed in the first half, Rose going close and Dier's header in the ET. Not a lot I agree but Colombia are a good side whom the referee allowed to be very physical. They were always going to be difficult to break down.

Nonetheless, England completely controlled the game other than the first half of ET. :shrug:
I thought Colombia were disappointing - far too defensive and when they decided to give it a go in that first half of extra time they looked dangerous. Anyway - their problem. Still think we lack guile

Burney
07-04-2018, 08:35 AM

But...but... Glenn Hoddle said ‘we’ are a good passing side. So it must be true!

IUFG
07-04-2018, 08:36 AM
Still think we lack guile

Time to introduce Welbeck imo.

The random places the ball goes when he's trying to get it under control could well create a goal scoring opportunity.

Luis Anaconda
07-04-2018, 08:37 AM
Time to introduce Welbeck imo.

The random places the ball goes when he's trying to get it under control could well create a goal scoring opportunity.

My play exactly, i. Get me a waistcoat and send me to Russia

IUFG
07-04-2018, 08:40 AM
My play exactly, i. Get me a waistcoat and send me to Russia

Will a puffa gilet do? :sherwood:

IUFG
07-04-2018, 08:41 AM
But...but... Glenn Hoddle said ‘we’ are a good passing side. So it must be true!

If only ITV would let you change the fúcking audio track on their broadcasts...

Sir C
07-04-2018, 08:43 AM
Will a puffa gilet do? :sherwood:

:nono: #gilet

Luis Anaconda
07-04-2018, 08:46 AM

Dear St Liam and little baby Charlies - he can't really have said that

Rich
07-04-2018, 08:49 AM
I suspect Swedish players might be clever enough not to rugby tackle Harry Kane in the penalty area. We may struggle to score

Southgate has also come up with 'the love train' at set pieces.

Saying we have no creativity is harsh, though. Henderson can pick a pass, Lingard has a spark about him etc.

Luis Anaconda
07-04-2018, 08:55 AM

Saying we have no creativity is harsh, though. Henderson can pick a pass, Lingard has a spark about him etc.

Oh right - one player who can "pick a pass" (any idea what that actually means, r, because to me it seems just to be cliché-ridden *******s). I like Lingard, I don't think he is good enough to unpick the best defences though. No creativity may have been harsh, given that Henderson picking a pass and Lingard having a spark about him is the best you can come up with, I wouldn't say "very limited creativity" is entirely innaccurate

Billy Goat Sverige
07-04-2018, 08:57 AM

They created about 40 chances between them in the league last season. Slightly more than one a game. This is also in teams with better players. The only creative player England have is Alli and I don’t think he has ever had a decent game for England.

Rich
07-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Oh right - one player who can "pick a pass" (any idea what that actually means, r, because to me it seems just to be cliché-ridden *******s). I like Lingard, I don't think he is good enough to unpick the best defences though. No creativity may have been harsh, given that Henderson picking a pass and Lingard having a spark about him is the best you can come up with, I wouldn't say "very limited creativity" is entirely innaccurate

Rashford obviously has some talent, in fairness. And Sterling scored a lot of goals for City this season.

Billy Goat Sverige
07-04-2018, 09:00 AM
Rashford obviously has some talent, in fairness. And Sterling scored a lot of goals for City this season.

Another one who doesn’t perform for England. He has scored two goals in 40 internationals. He should be dropped.

Pokster
07-04-2018, 09:02 AM
Another one who doesn’t perform for England. He has scored two goals in 40 internationals. He should be dropped.

Whichis why Sane wasn't picked by Germany yet they get nothing but slated for not taking him

Luis Anaconda
07-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Wow - you've really won me over. We actually have as much creativity as the Brazil side of 1970. How could I not see it :shrug:

Sir C
07-04-2018, 09:08 AM
Wow - you've really won me over. We actually have as much creativity as the Brazil side of 1970. How could I not see it :shrug:

He's not real. la. We've established that beyond doubt.

You're arguing with a bot.

IUFG
07-04-2018, 09:09 AM
The only creative player England have is Alli and I don’t think he has ever had a decent game for England.

I think the snidey, spursy **** is carrying a (at least) minor injury.

Seems to be rubbing his thigh / hamstring a lot.

In any case, not once, has he played a pass through the defence to Kane (as he seems to every week for them) at this WC.

I'm sure he would have done versus Panama had he played, but then again, so could Stephen Hawking against that lot. And he's dead.

7sisters
07-04-2018, 09:19 AM
An in form jack could have provided a bit more flair. Equally, they’re also missing the Ox. I’m not sure Lingard and Alli together is productive.
Very frustrating to watch Lingard get hunted down like some petrified wilderbeast, each time he found himself in space upfront.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
07-04-2018, 02:22 PM

What was also alarming is the number of times players receiving the ball were unable to control it with their first touch.

IUFG
07-04-2018, 02:25 PM
What was also alarming is the number of times players receiving the ball were unable to control it with their first touch.

Welbeck could look like Pele in comparison?

SWv2
07-04-2018, 03:05 PM
I think the snidey, spursy **** is carrying a (at least) minor injury.

Seems to be rubbing his thigh / hamstring a lot.

In any case, not once, has he played a pass through the defence to Kane (as he seems to every week for them) at this WC.

I'm sure he would have done versus Panama had he played, but then again, so could Stephen Hawking against that lot. And he's dead.

What's with the piece of coloured sellotape Debbi has on his thigh?

IUFG
07-04-2018, 03:07 PM
What's with the piece of coloured sellotape Debbi has on his thigh?

kinesiology tape, I assume