PDA

View Full Version : Are there other countries where a large section of the population would take great

Pat Vegas
06-28-2018, 01:16 PM
delight in the team representing their country in a major sports tournament the way they do in England? I think it's a peculiar english thing.

Or is it actually an Arsenal fan thing? as most other people I speak to who support different clubs (who also hate spurs) want England to win.

Even if it wasn't full of Harry Kane types I am sure the sentiment would be the same.

LA does this happen in Germany?

Burney
06-28-2018, 01:19 PM
delight in the team representing their country in a major sports tournament the way they do in England? I think it's a peculiar english thing.

Or is it actually an Arsenal fan thing? as most other people I speak to who support different clubs (who also hate spurs) want England to win.

Even if it wasn't full of Harry Kane types I am sure the sentiment would be the same.

I certainly remember United fans a few years ago feeling exactly the same about it.

Pat Vegas
06-28-2018, 01:27 PM
I certainly remember United fans a few years ago feeling exactly the same about it.

has it always been like this or more recently?

PSRB
06-28-2018, 01:27 PM

I'd like England to win :shrug:

Delighted Germany are out, nothing to do with any dislike for them, purely we get Ozil for a full pre-season. Switzerland to get knocked out next and all is good :-)

Burney
06-28-2018, 01:30 PM
has it always been like this or more recently?

I can't really speak for anyone else, but the England team has never really done it for me. I've always found England teams deeply unattractive.

7sisters
06-28-2018, 01:35 PM
The Germans take to their bloody cars following a tournament win. Parading about their streets like some euphoric panza division..

Luis Anaconda
06-28-2018, 01:37 PM
I can't really speak for anyone else, but the England team has never really done it for me. I've always found England teams deeply unattractive.

I was never that interested until we had the Rocky, Tony Adams generation and had a few players in the side. As I didn't live that far from Wembley (and in the direction that was easier to get away from) I used to go to most games. Pretty much lost interest now. Last game I went to was probably the Holland 4-1 - doubt I will ever see an England team play that well again against such good opposition anyway

Luis Anaconda
06-28-2018, 01:38 PM
The Germans take to their bloody cars following a tournament win. Parading about their streets like some euphoric panza division..

Not just the Germans - the Swiss were out in force on Friday (although it may actually have been Albanians...) Had to walk past a bloody samba band on my way to the pub last night - noisy ****ers

Billy Goat Sverige
06-28-2018, 01:40 PM

If you mean does the country go crazy for the national team then over here they do. It’s all you ****ing hear about during a tournament.

Billy Goat Sverige
06-28-2018, 01:41 PM

Delighted Germany are out, nothing to do with any dislike for them, purely we get Ozil for a full pre-season. Switzerland to get knocked out next and all is good :-)

I’m more worried about Uruguay going out to be honest. I want Torreira to get a decent preseason.

Burney
06-28-2018, 01:42 PM

Old-skool AWIMB question: You have a choice between an England World Cup win and Arsenal finishing third. Which do you choose?

PSRB
06-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Old-skool AWIMB question: You have a choice between an England World Cup win and Arsenal finishing third. Which do you choose?

If I choose England then do Arsenal get top 2?

Burney
06-28-2018, 01:46 PM
I was never that interested until we had the Rocky, Tony Adams generation and had a few players in the side. As I didn't live that far from Wembley (and in the direction that was easier to get away from) I used to go to most games. Pretty much lost interest now. Last game I went to was probably the Holland 4-1 - doubt I will ever see an England team play that well again against such good opposition anyway

Yes. It was easier when Adams and Dixon were vaguely permanent fixtures. I was always vaguely proud that Ashley Cole was invariably England's best player in most tournaments (until he went to Chelsea, of course), but generally, no.

Burney
06-28-2018, 01:46 PM
If I choose England then do Arsenal get top 2?

No. I'm being realistic here. Let's not be silly.

Pokster
06-28-2018, 01:47 PM

Why would I be happy for Arsenal to finish 3rd in any year??? ENgland win imho

If you had said England win or Arsenal winning the PL then no competition, Arsenal every time

Pokster
06-28-2018, 01:48 PM

Old school question back at you.... since you sold out and put a curse on Arsenal over 10 yrs ago.. would you be happy for Arsenal to win the PL and England not win the ashes for the next 10 yrs

PSRB
06-28-2018, 01:49 PM
No. I'm being realistic here. Let's not be silly.

England winning is hardly realistic, is it?

7sisters
06-28-2018, 01:50 PM
Yelp.. Easy one for me.. England win. Can’t get excited about finishing third

Burney
06-28-2018, 01:55 PM
England winning is hardly realistic, is it?

Who knows? Anything can happen in a cup competition.

Burney
06-28-2018, 01:58 PM
Why would I be happy for Arsenal to finish 3rd in any year??? ENgland win imho

If you had said England win or Arsenal winning the PL then no competition, Arsenal every time

Yes, well I very deliberately didn't say Arsenal winning the PL for exactly that reason. What your answer tells me is that you would prefer a bunch of Spurs, City, Liverpool and Man U players prancing about, preening themselves with the World Cup to a major improvement in Arsenal's fortunes, a step back on the road to winning the league and a return to the Champions League positions.

This tells me all I need to know. :judge:

Pokster
06-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Yes, well I very deliberately didn't say Arsenal winning the PL for exactly that reason. What your answer tells me is that you would prefer a bunch of Spurs, City, Liverpool and Man U players prancing about, preening themselves with the World Cup to a major improvement in Arsenal's fortunes, a step back on the road to winning the league and a return to the Champions League positions.

This tells me all I need to know. :judge:

The fact that you would rather Germany would win the WC and not England tells me that you are a Nazzi who should be run out of the country :watson:

SWv2
06-28-2018, 02:08 PM
I have no real allegiance within International football and while I can leave the usual fayre behind I do love a WC or Euros.

FTR the Irish go fúcking nuts when we qualify. I mean bat shít crazy on the drink etc.

PSRB
06-28-2018, 02:26 PM
Who knows? Anything can happen in a cup competition.

Apart from Arsenal winning the CL :-(

Ash
06-28-2018, 02:59 PM
Not just the Germans - the Swiss were out in force on Friday (although it may actually have been Albanians...) Had to walk past a bloody samba band on my way to the pub last night - noisy ****ers

Albanians were going mad all night with car horns in Luxembourg when they won a football match in the Euros two years ago.

Luis Anaconda
06-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Albanians were going mad all night with car horns in Luxembourg when they won a football match in the Euros two years ago.
Yep - same here, and when they qualified in the first place. Couldn't remember if I had imagined them qualifying or not

Ash
06-28-2018, 03:27 PM
Yep - same here, and when they qualified in the first place. Couldn't remember if I had imagined them qualifying or not

Albania's qualification was helped by the 3-0 awarded to them after the match against Serbia in Belgrade was abandoned at 0-0 following a riot sparked by a drone flying a Greater Albania flag over the pitch. #Souness

Burney
06-28-2018, 03:32 PM
Albania's qualification was helped by the 3-0 awarded to them after the match against Serbia in Belgrade was abandoned at 0-0 following a riot sparked by a drone flying a Greater Albania flag over the pitch. #Souness

Good banter, that. This is why I'd hoped for a Serbo-Croat game in this WC. Stoopid cack useless Serbs failing to go through :-(

Ash
06-28-2018, 03:43 PM
Good banter, that. This is why I'd hoped for a Serbo-Croat game in this WC. Stoopid cack useless Serbs failing to go through :-(

If it hadn't been for our new thuggy right-back getting away with a blatant pen appeal defending for the Swalbanians, they probably would have. At least ISTR it was Lichtsteiner.