PDA

View Full Version : Strange that some on here are laughing that Germany are out

Pokster
06-28-2018, 08:45 AM
when they would rather the Germans win the world cup than England

Burney
06-28-2018, 08:51 AM

I'm sure that probably made sense in your head when you thought of it, but you might want to go away and have a little think about why it's a silly thing to say, p.

If one doesn't support any team, there is nothing to stop you being pleased by both Germany's exit and England's exit. It's not an either/or.

Peter
06-28-2018, 09:00 AM
I'm sure that probably made sense in your head when you thought of it, but you might want to go away and have a little think about why it's a silly thing to say, p.

If one doesn't support any team, there is nothing to stop you being pleased by both Germany's exit and England's exit. It's not an either/or.

The last time Germany went out at the group stage Hitler was in charge (not of the football team). I bet he wasnt happy.

It does kind of take the shine of that result in Escape to Victory. Clearly that wasnt a great Germany team and the allies couldn't even beat them with Pele in the side.....

eastgermanautos
06-28-2018, 09:04 AM
The last time Germany went out at the group stage Hitler was in charge (not of the football team). I bet he wasnt happy.

It does kind of take the shine of that result in Escape to Victory. Clearly that wasnt a great Germany team and the allies couldn't even beat them with Pele in the side.....

Is that the one with Sylvester Stallone?

Burney
06-28-2018, 09:13 AM

:nod: And John Wark.

Luis Anaconda
06-28-2018, 09:15 AM
:nod: And John Wark.

And Russell Osman :(

Burney
06-28-2018, 09:18 AM
And Russell Osman :(

No Arsenal players in the Escape to Victory team, of course. And they had Ossie Ardiles. For these reasons, I was supporting the Germans.

Pokster
06-28-2018, 09:20 AM

I don't want to go away and think aboiut it.. i am glad Germany are out as I am supporting England and it gives us a better chance of winning it..... unlike some on here who are ABE in this world cup, which i find frankly rather strange

Burney
06-28-2018, 09:23 AM
I don't want to go away and think aboiut it.. i am glad Germany are out as I am supporting England and it gives us a better chance of winning it..... unlike some on here who are ABE in this world cup, which i find frankly rather strange

I'm not really sure why you find the concept of someone not supporting the same team you do quite so strange, tbh. Opposition fans at football matches must be a constant source of bemusement and upset for you.

Luis Anaconda
06-28-2018, 09:28 AM
No Arsenal players in the Escape to Victory team, of course. And they had Ossie Ardiles. For these reasons, I was supporting the Germans.

**spoiler** It was the Kevin O'Callaghan arm-breaking scene that did it for me. Not only did they put the poor lad in goal when he was a winger but then decided to smash his arm so the Yank could play. Dodgy management. Arsene* out!

*tbf he was more likely to be managing the Germans

Sir C
06-28-2018, 09:28 AM

Name and shame, p. Who are these people who want Germany to win the world cup more than they want England to win the world cup but are nevertheless glas Germany are out? WE MUST HAVE NAMES.

Burney
06-28-2018, 09:32 AM
**spoiler** It was the Kevin O'Callaghan arm-breaking scene that did it for me. Not only did they put the poor lad in goal when he was a winger but then decided to smash his arm so the Yank could play. Dodgy management. Arsene* out!

*tbf he was more likely to be managing the Germans

:nod: Meanwhile, Michael Caine is allowed to lug his paunch around while pointing and shouting. The fans would have booed him off the field.

Pokster
06-28-2018, 09:36 AM
:nod: Meanwhile, Michael Caine is allowed to lug his paunch around while pointing and shouting. The fans would have booed him off the field.

Message reported to Jan Molby

Tony C
06-28-2018, 09:53 AM
One of the worse arm breaks out there...they weren’t fkin about back then imo

Crippler...doubt it was ever fine again.

Pat Vegas
06-28-2018, 10:01 AM
I'd like England to win.
then again I do live in Essex now

Burney
06-28-2018, 10:18 AM
I'd like England to win.
then again I do live in Essex now

Just think, f. Harry Kane holding the World Cup aloft, flanked by Debbie Ali, Danny Rose, Eric Dier and Kieran Trippier. Imagine the headline 'Spurs Win The World Cup'.

Is that what you want? Is it?

Pat Vegas
06-28-2018, 10:20 AM
Just think, f. Harry Kane holding the World Cup aloft, flanked by Debbie Ali, Danny Rose, Eric Dier and Kieran Trippier. Imagine the headline 'Spurs Win The World Cup'.

What if it's the final and late on Kane gets knackered and a bizarre situation occurs where Danny Welbeck somehow manages to get on the pitch and accidentally wins the game with a deflected goal.

Burney
06-28-2018, 10:25 AM
What if it's the final and late on Kane gets knackered and a bizarre situation occurs where Danny Welbeck somehow manages to get on the pitch and accidentally wins the game with a deflected goal.

You're suggesting that Danny Wellbeck could be Geoff Hurst to Kane's Jimmy Greaves? How likely do you think that is, f? Apart from anything, that glory-hunting prick Kane would need to lose a leg before he gave up his place.

eastgermanautos
06-28-2018, 10:46 AM
You're suggesting that Danny Wellbeck could be Geoff Hurst to Kane's Jimmy Greaves? How likely do you think that is, f? Apart from anything, that glory-hunting prick Kane would need to lose a leg before he gave up his place.

:nono: Kane is one of England's finest. Even my mother commented favorably upon his appearance.

Burney
06-28-2018, 10:51 AM
:nono: Kane is one of England's finest. Even my mother commented favorably upon his appearance.

Yes, but we all know your mum isn't picky, don't we?

eastgermanautos
06-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Yes, but we all know your mum isn't picky, don't we?

It's her days as a stripper you want to count against her. :cry:

Monty92
06-28-2018, 11:41 AM

On the plus side, we'd be able to take the piss out of Spurs fans for claiming it as their own trophy.

Burney
06-28-2018, 11:45 AM
On the plus side, we'd be able to take the piss out of Spurs fans for claiming it as their own trophy.

No. Just...no.

SWv2
06-28-2018, 01:11 PM

That is foolish thinking boy.

Burney
06-28-2018, 01:16 PM
That is foolish thinking boy.

Thank you, sw. A madness seems to be descending on some of my fellow Arsenal fans at the moment that is causing them to lose sight of the most important thing about this England team - namely that it is full of Spurs cvnts.

WES
06-28-2018, 01:20 PM

I can't think of anything other than a Spurs fanzine that would publish that and why on earth would I be reading one of those?

And I don't hate any of those people for the person they are (other than Danny Rose I mean) I hate them because they play for Spurs. But when they play for England, they aren't playing for Spurs, so I don't hate them.

Perhaps being a rational, mature, adult male has biased my view.

Burney
06-28-2018, 01:24 PM
I can't think of anything other than a Spurs fanzine that would publish that and why on earth would I be reading one of those?

And I don't hate any of those people for the person they are (other than Danny Rose I mean) I hate them because they play for Spurs. But when they play for England, they aren't playing for Spurs, so I don't hate them.

Well The Mirror (under Piers Morgan) published this in 1998.

And a truly rational, mature, adult male wouldn't care about football in the first place, you spastic.

Pokster
06-28-2018, 01:36 PM

And a truly rational, mature, adult male wouldn't care about football in the first place, you spastic.

And he did it tongue in cheek....... how come you don't feel like this over ENgland cricket, you have the county you support but that doesn't make you act like a demented loon the way football does in your thinking

Luis Anaconda
06-28-2018, 01:39 PM
And he did it tongue in cheek....... how come you don't feel like this over ENgland cricket, you have the county you support but that doesn't make you act like a demented loon the way football does in your thinking

tbf the cricket team does it best to not actually pick English people which might help

Pokster
06-28-2018, 01:41 PM
tbf the cricket team does it best to not actually pick English people which might help

Good point, and lots of the players only play about 5 games a yr for their county

WES
06-28-2018, 01:51 PM

Nonsense and you know it. Our love of football is no different than a love of ballet or fine art or architecture etc etc

The culture surrounding those pursuits may be very different, but the fundamental desire is the same.

Burney
06-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Nonsense and you know it. Our love of football is no different than a love of ballet or fine art or architecture etc etc

The culture surrounding those pursuits may be very different, but the fundamental desire is the same.

You're equating sport with art, which tells me you know very little about either.

Sir C
06-28-2018, 02:03 PM
You're equating sport with art, which tells me you know very little about either.

Of course there is a connection between sport and art, inasmuch as both are to a degree driven by the pursuit of the exceptional and a search for the extraordinary.

Burney
06-28-2018, 02:15 PM
Of course there is a connection between sport and art, inasmuch as both are to a degree driven by the pursuit of the exceptional and a search for the extraordinary.

Hmmm. That sounds like an attempt to try and fit the square peg of sport into the round hole of art. Art to me is a deliberately unpragmatic attempt to make sense of human existence. Sport, on the other hand, seems to me to be society's means of sublimating the natural competitiveness, aggression and athleticism of young men into a socially-acceptable form that also happens to be an enjoyable spectacle.

Sir C
06-28-2018, 02:19 PM
Hmmm. That sounds like an attempt to try and fit the square peg of sport into the round hole of art. Art to me is a deliberately unpragmatic attempt to make sense of human existence. Sport, on the other hand, seems to me to be society's means of sublimating the natural competitiveness, aggression and athleticism of young men into a socially-acceptable form that also happens to be an enjoyable spectacle.

I think there is a definite crossover area. Consider the footballer who has trained his body to achieve the kind of balletic grace and control exhibited by Cruyff, Henry or Messi - this degree of exertion surely points to an individual seeking the truth of the human condition, much like, for example, the ballerina?

Burney
06-28-2018, 02:27 PM
I think there is a definite crossover area. Consider the footballer who has trained his body to achieve the kind of balletic grace and control exhibited by Cruyff, Henry or Messi - this degree of exertion surely points to an individual seeking the truth of the human condition, much like, for example, the ballerina?

OK, but the footballer doesn't do this with the intention of looking good or making any point about anything. He does it with the narrow goal of winning a football match. Besides, in ballet, the dancers are just a tool - they're not artists in their own right. The 'art' lies in the writing of the music and the choreography. The dancing is just the technical physical expression of the art.

Sir C
06-28-2018, 02:35 PM
OK, but the footballer doesn't do this with the intention of looking good or making any point about anything. He does it with the narrow goal of winning a football match. Besides, in ballet, the dancers are just a tool - they're not artists in their own right. The 'art' lies in the writing of the music and the choreography. The dancing is just the technical physical expression of the art.

No no no no no no no no. You misuderstand absolutely the motivation of the top class sportsman. He trains not to win the game, but to be the very best he can - to be extraordinary.

Like the ballerina.

Ash
06-28-2018, 02:36 PM

Are you saying you know more than Arsene Wenger, my friend? :driving:

http://untold-arsenal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Art3-300x124.png

Sir C
06-28-2018, 02:38 PM

:nod: Any activity, undertaken with love, coimmitment and skill can be defined as art or, indeed, prayer.

Ash
06-28-2018, 02:39 PM

And when Constable drew a lansdscape he was merely applying technical brush-strokes to express the creation of man and god, presumably.

SWv2
06-28-2018, 02:40 PM

What about Debbie Alli? Surely you hate him???

He is like Stephen Hunt, but not Stephen Hunt. Everybody hates him.

WES
06-28-2018, 02:42 PM

Yeah, fair enough. Liddle bit I do, yeah.

Burney
06-28-2018, 02:43 PM
No no no no no no no no. You misuderstand absolutely the motivation of the top class sportsman. He trains not to win the game, but to be the very best he can - to be extraordinary.

Like the ballerina.

Of course. But those two motivations are inextricably linked. I don't think you can separate the desire to win from the desire to improve your own performance. Top, top sportsmen have a desire to win that most normal people find almost inhuman.

But, as I say, neither they nor the ballerina are artists.

Burney
06-28-2018, 02:44 PM
And when Constable drew a lansdscape he was merely applying technical brush-strokes to express the creation of man and god, presumably.

Technique is the means to the end. It is not the end itself.

Burney
06-28-2018, 02:45 PM

Arsene - God bless his tiny tie knot - could talk a right load of old b0llocks.

SWv2
06-28-2018, 02:47 PM
Yeah, fair enough. Liddle bit I do, yeah.

I view him as the singly most despicable **** in the Premier League.

He is talented for sure though I am unsure if he deserves the quite ridiculous hype which surrounds him as a player. He is however without one iota of doubt a snide cheat and one who to a degree “gets away” with it.

Yes I know he has been pulled up and booked a fair few times for so called simulation, if you will. Diving for foreigners, simulation for others.

His Spurs-ness is entirely secondary in my view.

Burney
06-28-2018, 02:50 PM

:nod: Look at his ****y face, sw. Imagine that face holding the World Cup. :-(