PDA

View Full Version : How awful is the football at the World Cup?

AFC East
06-27-2018, 04:05 PM
Two ****ing terrible teams, playing at pedestrian speeds.

DULL

SWv2
06-28-2018, 10:22 AM

DULL

I must say I am hugely enjoying this World Cup.

:shrug:

Rich
06-28-2018, 10:23 AM

DULL

I think it's been very good for the vast majority of the time. Aside from England's performances to date, I think I enjoyed Croatia's show against Argentina the most.

Pat Vegas
06-28-2018, 10:23 AM

:nod: it's quite good.
Except I will not watch Denmark as I find them extremely boring.

Burney
06-28-2018, 10:31 AM
I think it's been very good for the vast majority of the time. Aside from England's performances to date, I think I enjoyed Croatia's show against Argentina the most.

:nod: I like the Croats generally. I want them to win.

Sir C
06-28-2018, 10:35 AM
:nod: I like the Croats generally. I want them to win.

I'm conflicted about Croats. On the one hand, they're good catholics. On the other, my Serb mates used to delight in tales of slaughtering them, so clearly they did something to deserve it.

Politics is hard, isn't it?

Burney
06-28-2018, 10:38 AM
I'm conflicted about Croats. On the one hand, they're good catholics. On the other, my Serb mates used to delight in tales of slaughtering them, so clearly they did something to deserve it.

Politics is hard, isn't it?

Oh, they're keen ethno-fascists, obviously. But I find that's a fault I'm increasingly happy to overlook. And the Serbs aren't exactly a bed of roses in that regard.

Monty92
06-28-2018, 10:58 AM
Oh, they're keen ethno-fascists, obviously. But I find that's a fault I'm increasingly happy to overlook. And the Serbs aren't exactly a bed of roses in that regard.

Do you ever worry that we're the far right's useful idiots? :-(

(I don't)

Burney
06-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Do you ever worry that we're the far right's useful idiots? :-(

(I don't)

No, because I have enough historical and political perspective not to fall for the ridiculous conflation of mainstream, rational conservatism with the far right.

Monty92
06-28-2018, 11:08 AM
No, because I have enough historical and political perspective not to fall for the ridiculous conflation of mainstream, rational conservatism with the far right.

Yeah, but you did just say you're happy to overlook ethno-fascists. That doesn't sound very "mainstream" :-(

Luis Anaconda
06-28-2018, 11:10 AM

Me too - I think most people would struggle to see the way Mexico; Colombia (in their second game) or Croatia have played as pedestrian. Brazil were quite impressive last night (great finish from the lad who was laughably bad at Spurs but now first choice for Barca); Spain Portugal was one of the best World Cup games I have seen; England managed to batter someone. What's not to love

Burney
06-28-2018, 11:12 AM
Yeah, but you did just say you're happy to overlook ethno-fascists. That doesn't sound very "mainstream" :-(

That was by way of a joke, though, m. Playing up to a sort of exaggerated persona thingy? You of all people would have got that, I'd have thought. :shrug:

Monty92
06-28-2018, 11:20 AM
That was by way of a joke, though, m. Playing up to a sort of exaggerated persona thingy? You of all people would have got that, I'd have thought. :shrug:

Have you seen that the BBC have produced a couple of lengthy skits mocking SJWs? Wozatallabaht?

Burney
06-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Have you seen that the BBC have produced a couple of lengthy skits mocking SJWs? Wozatallabaht?

Tracy Ullman's things? Yes, I did. They're such a comedic open goal that it's amazing it's taken so long. Have you seen this from Canadian show 'Kids In The Hall', though? They did this 24 years ago, which was frighteningly prescient.

https://youtu.be/n1tFbZ5kaY8

AFC East
06-28-2018, 01:22 PM

I'm enjoying some of the results, the drama and VAR has earned its Spurs. I'm probably just expecting too much. After enjoying Man City, Liverpool, even Spurs at times this season :hide:, the pace seems soooo slow. Watching Germany pass the ball around at the speed of one of those woeful Masters 6 a side things, just bored me.

Is it the heat?

SWv2
06-28-2018, 02:05 PM
I'm enjoying some of the results, the drama and VAR has earned its Spurs. I'm probably just expecting too much. After enjoying Man City, Liverpool, even Spurs at times this season :hide:, the pace seems soooo slow. Watching Germany pass the ball around at the speed of one of those woeful Masters 6 a side things, just bored me.

Is it the heat?

It is international football. Almost like a different sport.

A manager / coach may have players from 10 different club sides who are used to playing in a very set way, to then re-program them almost to play in a different way does not always work.

The job of an international coach is a very difficult one, especially at the elite country level.

Tony C
06-28-2018, 02:23 PM
yeah...enjoy Russia...we have Qatar next.

Sir C
06-28-2018, 02:27 PM
yeah...enjoy Russia...we have Qatar next.

t. Sit. Rest awhile. Let's break bread.

You know, it seems only yesterday that you were young and filled with the joys of life. Recently I sense a terrible cynicism in you; a sort of world-weariness. I'm not saying you've become a miserable old bástard like pokster, berni or thon moosefúcker, but it seems to me that something ails you.

In short, sup?

AFC East
06-28-2018, 03:25 PM
The job of an international coach is a very difficult one, especially at the elite country level.

Yes thanks for the back to basics chat ;-). I understand the why, I just find the end product technically dull.

Part of the problem is that it’s much easier to organise a defensive wall, than a cohesive attacking unit.

I’d love to have seen Wenger as an international coach.

Luis Anaconda
06-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Yes thanks for the back to basics chat ;-). I understand the why, I just find the end product technically dull.

Part of the problem is that it’s much easier to organise a defensive wall, than a cohesive attacking unit.

I’d love to have seen Wenger as an international coach.
New Germany manager - mark this post

PSRB
06-28-2018, 03:37 PM

Can't see Deschamps lasting much longer

Luis Anaconda
06-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Can't see Deschamps lasting much longer

Sunday maybe - I have a feeling Argentina will sneak a win on Saturday

Burney
06-28-2018, 03:39 PM

I would love that. Back to his ancestral Heimat, leading Die Mannschaft to glory. :cloud9: