PDA

View Full Version : VAR is good.

Sir C
06-26-2018, 08:16 AM
It hasn't made things perfect, but it has resulted in several wrong decisions being corrected.

Some cretins don't like it. :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
06-26-2018, 08:20 AM
It hasn't made things perfect, but it has resulted in several wrong decisions being corrected.

Mark Lawrenson doesn't like it :judge: Case closed - it works

Billy Goat Sverige
06-26-2018, 08:32 AM

I’m getting great enjoyment out of reading Tim Payton’s daily rant about VAR. He set his stool out early doors and was firmly in the “VAR is ****” camp and now it feels like he’s continuing along that path despite it proving him wrong with every passing day.

WES
06-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Mark Lawrenson doesn't like it :judge: Case closed - it works

Was I the only one screaming at the telly when he kept saying 'not for me' as Ronaldo was clearly chopped down in the box?

Or did I miss the rule change that says that it can't be a penalty unless the ball is attached to your toe at the time you're challenged.

P.S. Little Miss WES now understands that Lawrenson is a 'thick, camp, Scouse ****'.

Luis Anaconda
06-26-2018, 08:50 AM
Was I the only one screaming at the telly when he kept saying 'not for me' as Ronaldo was clearly chopped down in the box?

Or did I miss the rule change that says that it can't be a penalty unless the ball is attached to your toe at the time you're challenged.

P.S. Little Miss WES now understands that Lawrenson is a 'thick, camp, Scouse ****'.

I'm sure you weren't. I didn't actually have the commentary on but would have reacted similarly, no doubt. I thought it was a pen as soon as I saw it.

Poor little Miss WES :(

PSRB
06-26-2018, 10:04 AM
I'm sure you weren't. I didn't actually have the commentary on but would have reacted similarly, no doubt. I thought it was a pen as soon as I saw it.

Poor little Miss WES :(

Absolute stick on penalty, the handball one wasn't. The ref was utter rubbish.

WES
06-26-2018, 10:14 AM
Absolute stick on penalty, the handball one wasn't. The ref was utter rubbish.

Phew! Glad it wasn't just me. Not sure what the BBC muppets have been smoking.

TBF to the ref, he only got that last decision wrong although admittedly it was an absolute shocker. And it was a seriously difficult game to ref, Iranian players are utterly vile when it comes to play acting, gamesmanship, appealing etc etc. They made Pepe look honest and professional, no small feet.

The irony of watching Zabaleta comment on how bad it was wasn't lost on me either. Was hoping someone was going to say 'yeah, you'd never see Argentinian players acting like that'. :hehe:

SWv2
06-26-2018, 11:31 AM

It has worked quite well in this WC though last night it seemed to go a little askew. Not entirely sure what was going on at the end as he seemed to take a lifetime to even realise that a VAR referral was being applied to the penalty, and then after all that he still made a wrong decision.

Ref should have sent off a few Irans for acting the maggot and continually asking for it. I was delighted to see them fúckers go out.

Burney
06-26-2018, 11:43 AM
I’m getting great enjoyment out of reading Tim Payton’s daily rant about VAR. He set his stool out early doors and was firmly in the “VAR is ****” camp and now it feels like he’s continuing along that path despite it proving him wrong with every passing day.

I like ‘set out his stool’. :hehe:

It’s not right, but in Payton’s case it’s wholly apt.

Burney
06-26-2018, 11:45 AM

I like it t, but still maintain it should be appeal-based as in cricket.

PSRB
06-26-2018, 11:49 AM

Then everyone will just appeal for everything.

Burney
06-26-2018, 11:54 AM
Then everyone will just appeal for everything.

Not if you have limited appeals that you lose if incorrect - as in cricket

WES
06-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Not if you have limited appeals that you lose if incorrect - as in cricket

I agree - but I'd limit the scope of potential appeals to goals scored or penalties not given.

Sod this running over to the monitor and stopping the game to see if it was a yellow or red or nothing.

Sir C
06-26-2018, 11:57 AM

Dear Christ no! It'll all get a bit statto like cricket. "You've had your three appeals, now it's time to put your leg behind your silly mid-off and googly your chinaman, then we'll all have some tea and a sandwich."

There's no place for nonsense in the The Beautiful Game, b.

Tony C
06-26-2018, 12:04 PM
They missed something here.

They’ve clamped down on players pressuring referees and those wave imaginary cards by giving them yellows yet nothing for those who’ve started demanding for VAR.

Saw one player stop and do the TV Umpire box thing that cricket umpires do when they’re sending one upstairs. This should be a yellow as well.

Would help clamp down on what’s going on. Just play the game. The officials are watching and observing and if they see something the ref will be notified.

Although who is observing the observers is another question...

Burney
06-26-2018, 12:19 PM
Dear Christ no! It'll all get a bit statto like cricket. "You've had your three appeals, now it's time to put your leg behind your silly mid-off and googly your chinaman, then we'll all have some tea and a sandwich."

There's no place for nonsense in the The Beautiful Game, b.

There clearly is. There is usually less than an hour’s play in 90 minutes’ football. The idea that there isn’t time to check decisions is ludicrous.

Burney
06-26-2018, 12:23 PM
Although who is observing the observers is another question...

This is why taking what is reviewed out of the hands of the officials makes so much sense.

SWv2
06-26-2018, 01:18 PM
I agree - but I'd limit the scope of potential appeals to goals scored or penalties not given.

Sod this running over to the monitor and stopping the game to see if it was a yellow or red or nothing.

The Ronaldo one last night a prime example. Let it go and if there is found to be violent or whatever missed by the referee than sanction the player afterwards.

Silly.

Ash
06-26-2018, 01:58 PM
The Ronaldo one last night a prime example. Let it go and if there is found to be violent or whatever missed by the referee than sanction the player afterwards.

Silly.

If he had properly whacked him in the face then he should have gone for it. A subsequent action would not have addressed what happened within the game. As it was - a yellow was right, I think.

SWv2
06-26-2018, 02:04 PM
If he had properly whacked him in the face then he should have gone for it. A subsequent action would not have addressed what happened within the game. As it was - a yellow was right, I think.

Quite. If he had properly whacked him in the face I like to think it would have been seen and dealt with there and then and with no reference to VAR. As it was there was nothing to see which is why the ref did not see it.

Fúcking ridicules.

And further, had he properly whacked him in the face it would have been too good for him. There was 4-5-6 Irans who needed a good punch in the face.

Ash
06-26-2018, 02:22 PM
Quite. If he had properly whacked him in the face I like to think it would have been seen and dealt with there and then and with no reference to VAR. As it was there was nothing to see which is why the ref did not see it.

Fúcking ridicules.

And further, had he properly whacked him in the face it would have been too good for him. There was 4-5-6 Irans who needed a good punch in the face.

I thought the plucky Persians played quite well tbf. I didn't notice then misbehaving significantly more than other teams on average, although I might not have been paying full attention. I loved Ronaldo's pelanty miss. :hehe: