PDA

View Full Version : Little Chef gone

Ash
06-25-2018, 09:10 AM
from all of the A1 from London to Scotch Corner. :-(

Very sad seens. One can still get an all-day brekky from the chain of Yankqui Diners that now inhabit the highway, but not sure if they do double egg, sausage and chips. Mostly they seem to offer pancakes with syrup. :-| However the good ol Stibbington's Diner (pwopah caff) is still within reach.

Rich
06-25-2018, 09:12 AM

Very sad seens. One can still get an all-day brekky from the chain of Yankqui Diners that now inhabit the highway, but not sure if they do double egg, sausage and chips. Mostly they seem to offer pancakes with syrup. :-| However the good ol Stibbington's Diner (pwopah caff) is still within reach.

I noted one a few months ago & remarked on how surprised I was that they were still in business. What sort of people eat in Little Chef's, ffs?

Sir C
06-25-2018, 09:17 AM

There is a Little Chef clone at the petrol station at, hmm, now where is it? The sign says Burger King, and indeed there is one, but next to it is an excellent Little Chef-type thing. Quite high up, it is.

And of course, don't forget the A66 Café on the, well. A66. Quite marvellous.

How was your trip? Bag anything new?

Ash
06-25-2018, 09:17 AM
I noted one a few months ago & remarked on how surprised I was that they were still in business. What sort of people eat in Little Chef's, ffs?

Where was it? It's probably gone by now. Replaced by some ghastly artisan organic vegan bean shop no doubt.

Ash
06-25-2018, 09:21 AM
There is a Little Chef clone at the petrol station at, hmm, now where is it? The sign says Burger King, and indeed there is one, but next to it is an excellent Little Chef-type thing. Quite high up, it is.

And of course, don't forget the A66 Café on the, well. A66. Quite marvellous.

How was your trip? Bag anything new?

Very productive, thanks. Got twelve in all. The six south of Haweswater and the six north of Blencathra. The Haweswater Hotel is superbly kitted out with art deco pieces.

Rich
06-25-2018, 09:23 AM
Where was it? It's probably gone by now. Replaced by some ghastly artisan organic vegan bean shop no doubt.

A31 through the New Forest. It definitely still says Little Chef on it. Though I suppose it may well be shut for good.

Sir C
06-25-2018, 09:25 AM
Very productive, thanks. Got twelve in all. The six south of Haweswater and the six north of Blencathra. The Haweswater Hotel is superbly kitted out with art deco pieces.

Twelve! Twelve already! Good work a! :clap:

IUFG
06-25-2018, 09:54 AM
However the good ol Stibbington's Diner (pwopah caff) is still within reach.

is that the truck stop place near the Nene Valley Railway?

Pat Vegas
06-25-2018, 09:56 AM

I used to love Little chef when I was younger. The one that I liked the best was quite empty and it appeared to have one person working there. He sat us by the window and a couple of other people that came in to make the place look busier.

He then took the order then walked back put a chef hat on and cooked it. Made me laugh when he put it through the serving hatch bit he came out through the door took his hat off and picked it up from the other side and brought it to the table.

Who's this other chain?

Ash
06-25-2018, 10:00 AM
is that the truck stop place near the Nene Valley Railway?

Yeah. I noticed the Railway sign and said "Hey, we should drive up here for a day out. Breakfast at Stibbingtons and a ride on the railway." :cloud9:

Ash
06-25-2018, 10:01 AM
I used to love Little chef when I was younger. The one that I liked the best was quite empty and it appeared to have one person working there. He sat us by the window and a couple of other people that came in to make the place look busier.

He then took the order then walked back put a chef hat on and cooked it. Made me laugh when he put it through the serving hatch bit he came out through the door took his hat off and picked it up from the other side and brought it to the table.

Who's this other chain?

OK Diner. Stamford, Grantham and Newark.

Luis Anaconda
06-25-2018, 10:05 AM

Who's this other chain?
:hehe: I love that story

Burney
06-25-2018, 10:17 AM
:hehe: I love that story

I think I once mentioned that I had a publisher who, when referring to his varying roles, would say 'I have to say, wearing my *Insert name of magazine* hat' AND WOULD THEN DO A LITTLE MIME OF TAKING OFF ONE HAT AND PUTTING ANOTHER ON!!!! :shout:

I very much wish the worst on that man.

7sisters
06-25-2018, 10:18 AM
Good grief.. The Olympic breakfast was the stuff of legend.. Nothing else of note mind.
These places were the default staging posts for roadside interviews for a generation.

Luis Anaconda
06-25-2018, 11:14 AM
I think I once mentioned that I had a publisher who, when referring to his varying roles, would say 'I have to say, wearing my *Insert name of magazine* hat' AND WOULD THEN DO A LITTLE MIME OF TAKING OFF ONE HAT AND PUTTING ANOTHER ON!!!! :shout:

I very much wish the worst on that man.
:hehe: I think I do recall that

IUFG
06-25-2018, 11:19 AM
Yeah. I noticed the Railway sign and said "Hey, we should drive up here for a day out. Breakfast at Stibbingtons and a ride on the railway." :cloud9:

Driven past it countless times, only ever used it to have a píss tbf.

I'll have a nosebag at some point :thumbup: