PDA

View Full Version : American golf fans

PSRB
06-18-2018, 11:10 AM
What a complete bunch of no nothing ****wits.

Luis Anaconda
06-18-2018, 11:14 AM
What a complete bunch of no nothing ****wits.

Can't wait for the Ryder Cup - apparently coming over in record numbers :( Thank God it is in Paris

PSRB
06-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Can't wait for the Ryder Cup - apparently coming over in record numbers :( Thank God it is in Paris

Also appears Mickelson can play to his own set of rules

barrybueno
06-18-2018, 11:31 AM

He's been watching too much Happy Gilmore imo

Luis Anaconda
06-18-2018, 11:44 AM

Lucky boy from what I have read but then again the rules are ****ed up. It seems he couldn't be disqualified under one rule he broke because he had broken another one which didn't carry a dq

WES
06-18-2018, 12:06 PM

No, they applied the rules correctly, although you could argue the rules need changing.

American golf fans are muppets at the best of times (YOU DA MAN!!!!!) but drunken NY golf fans are apparently a special kind of awful.

The criticism of the course made me laugh, though. Had that been Carnoustie the British golf media would have been going on about how this is proper golf and not the sanitized American version. :nod:

Luis Anaconda
06-18-2018, 12:13 PM
No, they applied the rules correctly, although you could argue the rules need changing.

American golf fans are muppets at the best of times (YOU DA MAN!!!!!) but drunken NY golf fans are apparently a special kind of awful.

The criticism of the course made me laugh, though. Had that been Carnoustie the British golf media would have been going on about how this is proper golf and not the sanitized American version. :nod:

Simply not true - plenty of criticism when there are been high-scoring Opens if the course has been to blame as opposed to ridiculous conditions. Personally I thought it was great entertainment for the most part. Disappointed Fleetwood didn't win though

WES
06-18-2018, 12:24 PM
Simply not true - plenty of criticism when there are been high-scoring Opens if the course has been to blame as opposed to ridiculous conditions. Personally I thought it was great entertainment for the most part. Disappointed Fleetwood didn't win though

That's not really what I meant. Links golf often relies on the weather to make the course challenging and often that can make it unplayable. It snowed in the British Open (yes, the British Open) a few years back. Some time before that Tiger Woods played in a gale and shot over par, can't remember the course. The British media were saying things like 'you won't find the perfect conditions of Augusta over here Mr Woods' in their typical establishment snobbish way. The next day the winds died down and Woods broke the course record. :hehe:

Anyway, the point is that putting a course next to the sea in northern Scotland probably isn't the brightest idea if you want to remove as much of the luck element as possible yet somehow that is sensible while the pin positions and speed of the greens at Shinnecock was an outrage.

But like you, I really enjoyed it. The best shots still win and watching the pros look more like the amateurs was refreshingly nice.

Pokster
06-18-2018, 12:26 PM

*******s... the USPGA have made cock ups like this on setting US open course up before, including this golf course... please show me where we have had high scoring opens where the set up is to blame rather than the conditions? You will NEVER get an Open course where the greens are unplayable due to pin positions when the weather is forecast to be bad.

Is this yet another sport you are showing your total lack of knowledge?

IUFG
06-18-2018, 12:40 PM
That's not really what I meant. Links golf often relies on the weather to make the course challenging and often that can make it unplayable. It snowed in the British Open (yes, the British Open) a few years back. Some time before that Tiger Woods played in a gale and shot over par, can't remember the course. The British media were saying things like 'you won't find the perfect conditions of Augusta over here Mr Woods' in their typical establishment snobbish way. The next day the winds died down and Woods broke the course record. :hehe:

Anyway, the point is that putting a course next to the sea in northern Scotland probably isn't the brightest idea if you want to remove as much of the luck element as possible yet somehow that is sensible while the pin positions and speed of the greens at Shinnecock was an outrage.

But like you, I really enjoyed it. The best shots still win and watching the pros look more like the amateurs was refreshingly nice.

The Open, WES, The

WES
06-18-2018, 12:46 PM
The Open, WES, The

Nah, not having any of that pretentious *******s. Golf in the UK has far too much of that attitude for my taste. Which may be why young people are abandoning it in record numbers.

The British Open. Nowt wrong with that. It's my second favourite of the four. Masters, British Open, US Open and then the PGA nonsense which shouldn't really qualify imo.

PSRB
06-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Nah, not having any of that pretentious *******s. Golf in the UK has far too much of that attitude for my taste. Which may be why young people are abandoning it in record numbers.

The British Open. Nowt wrong with that. It's my second favourite of the four. Masters, British Open, US Open and then the PGA nonsense which shouldn't really qualify imo.

No, it's The Open, nothing snobby about it. Ridicules that the US have 3 majors

IUFG
06-18-2018, 12:57 PM

It's not pretentious bóllocks to refer to The FA as The FA is it? Or do you call it the English FA?*

Neither is it to refer to The Open as The Open.

* The others seem to include their country in their title

www.fff.fr/
www.cbf.com
www.knvb.nl/
www.rfef.es/
www.figc.it
and of course www.scottishfa.co.uk/

www.thefa.com/

SWv2
06-18-2018, 01:01 PM
It's not pretentious bóllocks to refer to The FA as The FA is it? Or do you call it the English FA?*

www.fff.fr/
www.cbf.com
www.knvb.nl/
www.rfef.es/
www.figc.it

www.thefa.com/

Not forgetting of course the FAI.

You lot are very pretentious and arrogant all the same though I do agree with you, it's just The Open.

IUFG
06-18-2018, 01:07 PM
Not forgetting of course the FAI.

You lot are very pretentious and arrogant all the same though I do agree with you, it's just The Open.

'Us lot' were just very good at inventing sports back in the day, then becoming shít at them.

WES
06-18-2018, 01:08 PM

www.fff.fr/
www.cbf.com
www.knvb.nl/
www.rfef.es/
www.figc.it

www.thefa.com/

Yeah there is. There are many Open Championships in many countries and every country prefaces theirs with the country name to distinguish them. Calling the British Open as The Open makes it sound like it is somehow better. People like to deny it but we all know it's true.

Mind you, I would actually agree that it is the best of the Open Championships, but that's just my opinion. The pretense I refer to is rife in golf in the UK however. Gentlemen must wear a jacket in the clubhouse after 4pm blah, blah, blah...

Can't stand that nonsense.

SWv2
06-18-2018, 01:11 PM
'Us lot' were just very good at inventing sports back in the day, then becoming shít at them.

The Jockanese invented Golf, you can't disown them one second and then claim them as yours next.

Football I will give you though I do believe the Chinese are now trying to claim it as theirs.

PSRB
06-18-2018, 01:14 PM
The Jockanese invented Golf, you can't disown them one second and then claim them as yours next.

Football I will give you though I do believe the Chinese are now trying to claim it as theirs.

See: Murray, A

IUFG
06-18-2018, 01:15 PM

Trusay, sw. It is them that want to disown the UK.*

* I'd happily let that happen just to shut up thon wee Jimmy Krankie lookalike, Nicola Sturgeon

Pokster
06-18-2018, 01:18 PM
Yeah there is. There are many Open Championships in many countries and every country prefaces theirs with the country name to distinguish them. Calling the British Open as The Open makes it sound like it is somehow better. People like to deny it but we all know it's true.

Mind you, I would actually agree that it is the best of the Open Championships, but that's just my opinion. The pretense I refer to is rife in golf in the UK however. Gentlemen must wear a jacket in the clubhouse after 4pm blah, blah, blah...

Can't stand that nonsense.

Strangely enough when you are the first country to have an Open championship you won't prefix it with the the country... so ours is The Open, why should we change the name afterwards

PSRB
06-18-2018, 01:19 PM
Strangely enough when you are the first country to have an Open championship you won't prefix it with the the country... so ours is The Open, why should we change the name afterwards

Also, why Wimbledon isn't The British Open

Luis Anaconda
06-18-2018, 01:21 PM

As Dara Ó Briain points out in his excellent book on the English (Tickling the English) we didn't really invent sports merely unified certain ones under a set of Laws - games similar to rugby, football etc existed all over the world

SWv2
06-18-2018, 01:22 PM
Also, why Wimbledon isn't The British Open

Well strictly speaking Wimbledon isn't Wimbledon.

It is just held there.