PDA

View Full Version : So the US, Canada and Mexico get the 2026 World Cup.

Burney
06-13-2018, 11:18 AM
That's Mexico's third bite of the cherry since 1970 and the US's second since 1994.

Looks like it'll be a while before we have a World Cup in a country that actually has a major football culture again. I'll be nearly 60 by that time, if I'm spared. :-(

Ash
06-13-2018, 11:20 AM
And Canada utterly despises football, from those I've known (present company excepted). And three teams who don't have to qualify.

At least a WC in a proper football country starts tomorrow. :-)

Tony C
06-13-2018, 11:21 AM
That's Mexico's third bite of the cherry since 1970 and the US's second since 1994.

Looks like it'll be a while before we have a World Cup in a country that actually has a major football culture again. I'll be nearly 60 by that time, if I'm spared. :-(

Best mascot ever imo

PSRB
06-13-2018, 11:28 AM
Best mascot ever imo

No, this is

Burney
06-13-2018, 11:32 AM
No, this is

Yeah, they didn't even bother, really, did they? Even the shape tells you they literally knocked it up on the back of a beer mat about 15 minutes before the deadline.

Luis Anaconda
06-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Yeah, they didn't even bother, really, did they? Even the shape tells you they literally knocked it up on the back of a beer mat about 15 minutes before the deadline.

Yeah, but some of the best work is done that way, b

PSRB
06-13-2018, 11:35 AM

Exactly, they try too hard these days. The Russians have sort of gone with a wolf suffering from glaucoma

Luis Anaconda
06-13-2018, 11:39 AM
Exactly, they try too hard these days. The Russians have sort of gone with a wolf suffering from glaucoma

Just a white Edgar Davids, it's just a white Edgar Davids

Burney
06-13-2018, 11:46 AM

Seems a strange decision not to go with a bear, tbh. Or a double-headed eagle if they wanted to go proper retro.

PSRB
06-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Seems a strange decision not to go with a bear, tbh. Or a double-headed eagle if they wanted to go proper retro.

I was just thinking that, even a Siberian Tiger. Don't really think of Russia and Wolves

Burney
06-13-2018, 11:51 AM
I was just thinking that, even a Siberian Tiger. Don't really think of Russia and Wolves

And why is he wearing goggles?

WES
06-13-2018, 12:31 PM
The 1994 World Cup killed football in America and Canada once and for all, I think.

There actually was a very good build up, loads of adds showing brilliant skill, the media was all over it, I think that despite the fact that football is the polar opposite of the traditional North American sports in pretty much every way, the public was actually hoping to be taken in by it.

Then they saw two traditional powerhouses in the final and thought 'this is really going to be a fantastic game!'. :hehe:

Pokster
06-13-2018, 12:39 PM
The 1994 World Cup killed football in America and Canada once and for all, I think.

There actually was a very good build up, loads of adds showing brilliant skill, the media was all over it, I think that despite the fact that football is the polar opposite of the traditional North American sports in pretty much every way, the public was actually hoping to be taken in by it.

Then they saw two traditional powerhouses in the final and thought 'this is really going to be a fantastic game!'. :hehe:

Could it kill a sport in canada that has hardly been a big sport at any stage there? Football in the States is doing betternow than it was in 1994... which is strange as the USA doesn't reaaly embrace any sport it isn't very good at

Luis Anaconda
06-13-2018, 01:38 PM
Could it kill a sport in canada that has hardly been a big sport at any stage there? Football in the States is doing betternow than it was in 1994... which is strange as the USA doesn't reaaly embrace any sport it isn't very good at

It's the most popular participation sport in Canada and growing fast, so not quite sure of how it was killed though

Pokster
06-13-2018, 01:42 PM
It's the most popular participation sport in Canada and growing fast, so not quite sure of how it was killed though

Hard to kill something that wasn't even alive in 1994..... Football in the states gets more coverage now than when it was a gimic in the 70's

IUFG
06-13-2018, 01:46 PM

I was going to go to that World Cup with a few mates. Koeman and Bergkamp put paid to that. "I'm a metre"

Ended up spending three weeks in LA during which was the OJ trial ("Let loose the Juice"). There was still a lot of racial tension following the Rodney King acquittals.

We got on speaking terms with a gang of black geezers just off Sunset, one of which was murdered during our stay.

Interesting times.

Still, the black guys introduced me to Old English 800 :lager: I accidentally trod on Danny de Vito in a hotel corridor (his 'people' weren't very happy and neither was he, the fúcking short-arsed ****) and shared a flight with Coolio and his entourage.

None of the people we met had any real knowledge of the World Cup just happening in their own, very large and concretey, back yard at Pasadena.

Stupid fúcking Americans. Football is wasted on them imo

Pat Vegas
06-13-2018, 01:47 PM

It's quite popular. my cousin has been watching the premier league for years and good choice he picked to support Arsenal.

Toronto FC are quite popular.

TSN and Sports net show all the premier league games. Craig Forrest in the studio.

Pat Vegas
06-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Though it's strange to have world cups without having a host team be in it. Canada won't qualify.

Does Qatar have a team?

Luis Anaconda
06-13-2018, 01:49 PM
It's quite popular. my cousin has been watching the premier league for years and good choice he picked to support Arsenal.

TSN and Sports net show all the premier league games. Craig Forrest in the studio.
And so is Steven Caldwell quite a lot for some reason (I think he must have played out there) Arsenal must be popular - it's often TSN that my local pub has the game on when we are playing

IUFG
06-13-2018, 01:52 PM
And so is Steven Caldwell quite a lot for some reason (I think he must have played out there.") Arsenal must be popular - it's often TSN that my local pub has the game on when we are playing

Whoever it is that streams TSN onto the internet for free does a decent job imo. Good quality picture and hardly ever hangs.

Pat Vegas
06-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Whoever it is that streams TSN onto the internet for free does a decent job imo. Good quality picture and hardly ever hangs.

I think they show nearly all premier league games. So on those odd occasions where Arsenal is not on in many places it will be on there. but arsenal do seem popular I saw Arsenal shirts in the shop in Toronto. Think there is a arsenal pub in Vancouver too.
same with the league cup.

I either watch it on there or Sky Sports Italy.

Burney
06-13-2018, 02:50 PM

What about that chap who was knobbing Karren Brady? He was one of your lot, wasn't he?

Luis Anaconda
06-13-2018, 03:11 PM
What about that chap who was knobbing Karren Brady? He was one of your lot, wasn't he?

Paul Peschisolido - most famous for this these days https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=VTBkWRs7r-c
with apologies to PRSB for showing the follow up

Burney
06-13-2018, 03:38 PM
Paul Peschisolido - most famous for this these days https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=VTBkWRs7r-c

Oh, yes. I'd forgotten that was him. It really was quite a good save, tbf.

PSRB
06-13-2018, 03:50 PM

Can't believe none of you had ever spotted it before. My stock response when 'that' penalty save gets brought up