PDA

View Full Version : CarWIMB - I have roughly £10k to spend

PSRB
06-12-2018, 01:40 PM
plus trade in my 15 yr old BMW 3 series.

What should I get? Strongly considering just getting a more recent 3 series

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:42 PM

I'm now looking at new cars and am struggling because I literally don't care which car I buy. They all seem to look much the same.

PSRB
06-12-2018, 01:44 PM
I'm now looking at new cars and am struggling because I literally don't care which car I buy. They all seem to look much the same.

That's why I'm just thinking of staying with the 3 series, decent car, nice to drive, reliable, etc. Just seems a bit dull not to get something different

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:45 PM
That's why I'm just thinking of staying with the 3 series, decent car, nice to drive, reliable, etc. Just seems a bit dull not to get something different

That's what my wife said about her new car. She actually wants to carry on driving the one she's got because she likes it, but when it's suggested she just gets another, she seems to think that would be a waste of an opportunity. :shrug:

Rich
06-12-2018, 01:47 PM

My mileage has recently increased so that I'm doing around 20k a year. I'm thinking about buying/leasing a new Golf GTD. Sigh.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 01:50 PM

I have no real knowledge of the used car market so can't help much, other than to tell you the current thoughts of those inside the industry:

1. Avoid diesel. The hammering is going to get worse.
2. From a medium-term taxation point of view, try to move to hybrid.
3. No one makes a bad car (except the French) any more. Buy the car you want.
4. See the bit in point 3 about French cars? Read it again and remember it.
5. Electric cars are for queers and yoghurt-knitters only. (That's mainly my view rather than indusrty-wide.)

Viva Prat Vegas
06-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Sir C "... indusrty-wide"

You're still thinking about Kirsty G C

PSRB
06-12-2018, 01:55 PM
I have no real knowledge of the used car market so can't help much, other than to tell you the current thoughts of those inside the industry:

5. Electric cars are for queers and yoghurt-knitters only. (That's mainly my view rather than indusrty-wide.)

Point 3. Noted and Point 4. Also noted. I did have a Peugeot 306 once, it was actually rather nice.

Points 1.2. & 5. Also noted, I was thinking at least a 2.0L petrol

On the diesel thing, it that all diesels or will more recent ones be okay? Just thinking of off-loading my wife's 64 plate Tiguain as well

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:55 PM

What car should I get? Not what car do you think I should like, but - given what you know about me and my concerns in these things - what car should I get?

Sole criteria: more bootspace and should be silver - or at least not black.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 01:57 PM
What car should I get? Not what car do you think I should like, but - given what you know about me and my concerns in these things - what car should I get?

Sole criteria: more bootspace and should be silver - or at least not black.

Given what I know about you and cars, I would say, buy the car with the biggest boot on earth. Maybe buy a Transit van? :shrug:

Sir C
06-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Point 3. Noted and Point 4. Also noted. I did have a Peugeot 306 once, it was actually rather nice.

Points 1.2. & 5. Also noted, I was thinking at least a 2.0L petrol

On the diesel thing, it that all diesels or will more recent ones be okay? Just thinking of off-loading my wife's 64 plate Tiguain as well

You're going to find more congestion and emmissions zones which will be nailing diesels. The year won't make much difference.

If I were you I'd consider dumping it if you can. Residual values are fading quickly.

Rich
06-12-2018, 01:59 PM

Is point 1 enough to justify a GTI over a GTD? I would have said that at 20,000 miles pa an oil burner would be in the money?

Burney
06-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Given what I know about you and cars, I would say, buy the car with the biggest boot on earth. Maybe buy a Transit van? :shrug:

Hmmm. I don't think I'm butch enough for a Transit van.

One of those little vans, maybe?

Sir C
06-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Is point 1 enough to justify a GTI over a GTD? I would have said that at 20,000 miles pa an oil burner would be in the money?

You're definitely better off with a diesel Rich. Yes, You should definitely buy a diesel. In fact, buy two! What could be better than one diesel except two diesels?

Diesel is the way foirward. Your residual value will be fantastic, indeed the car is unlikely ever to lose any value at all. If anything, it will increase in value as the years roll by. And the tax on diesel is definitely going down, since all governments are fully committed to encouraging the use of diesel cars. Also, all those problems manufacturers are having achieving EURO Vl emissions aren't going to result in further scandalous exposes, dear me, not at all.

You must be the daftest chump I ever did encounter, r.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 02:05 PM
Hmmm. I don't think I'm butch enough for a Transit van.

One of those little vans, maybe?

:nod: Citroen Berlingo. Diesel. Lovely job.

Rich
06-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Look, drop the attitude. I need something with performance that will get good mpg on the motorway. A GTI will get about 30mpg on the motorway, I would think.

I wish diesel didn’t exist but it does tend to be more economically viable for those that do big miles.

Tell me I’m wrong.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 02:09 PM
Look, drop the attitude. I need something with performance that will get good mpg on the motorway. A GTI will get about 30mpg on the motorway, I would think.

I wish diesel didn’t exist but it does tend to be more economically viable for those that do big miles.

Tell me I’m wrong.

I don't give a fúck what you buy :shrug:

WES
06-12-2018, 02:09 PM

Don't do it. Just like Sonos. :-)

I went down the lease route and couldn't be happier, don't think I'll ever buy again. The key is to get the car that the manufacturers are doing a great deal on, you may need to be patient. No idea why but the way it seems to work is that a manufacturer i.e. VW will release a bunch of cars of a certain model i.e. Golf GTI, and provide or allow (not sure which) great financing and you get a great deal.

I was looking for a Golf GTI as my station car, they seemed to be about £1500 down and £300 a month but I just missed out, they had all gone by the time I was ready to do it. So the chap says to me 'however VW just released a bunch of Scirocco Rs for £280 a month'.

Job done. Excellent car for very little, I took a 3 year lease as the warranty is 3 years so I will always have a car under warranty and every 3 years I get a new one. If you get a deal the numbers are pretty similar to buying, you just have no risk.

Highly recommended. Unlike Sonos which was driving me crazy again the other night. :-(

Burney
06-12-2018, 02:10 PM
:nod: Citroen Berlingo. Diesel. Lovely job.

Seriously, though, I've no fvcking clue.

What's the Kia Sportage like? Is it a girl's car? It is, isn't it?

Sir C
06-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Seriously, though, I've no fvcking clue.

What's the Kia Sportage like? Is it a girl's car? It is, isn't it?

It's a good car. It's not quite as good as the previous one. Kia are where Hyundai were 5 years ago.

Look, contact the bloke whose details I gave you, tell him you want 5 doors, big boot so D segment or SUV, petrol or hybrid and let him tell you what deals he has at that moment. You may find that Kia have released a batch of Sportages at silly money, or Lexus have dumped a load of IS250s on him, or whatever. You're in the best position to come by a bargain if you don't care about the car.

Burney
06-12-2018, 02:15 PM
It's a good car. It's not quite as good as the previous one. Kia are where Hyundai were 5 years ago.

Look, contact the bloke whose details I gave you, tell him you want 5 doors, big boot so D segment or SUV, petrol or hybrid and let him tell you what deals he has at that moment. You may find that Kia have released a batch of Sportages at silly money, or Lexus have dumped a load of IS250s on him, or whatever. You're in the best position to come by a bargain if you don't care about the car.

:thumbup:

Although you should probably tell me what 'D Segment' means so I don't sound like too much of a cvnt.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 02:17 PM
:thumbup:

Although you should probably tell me what 'D Segment' means so I don't sound like too much of a cvnt.

Avensis / Passat sized rep mobile. What would have been a Cortina or Cavalier, back in the day.

Burney
06-12-2018, 02:18 PM
Avensis / Passat sized rep mobile. What would have been a Cortina or Cavalier, back in the day.

Excellent. This is good stuff. I shall definitely whip out the term 'D Segment' next time I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 02:21 PM
Excellent. This is good stuff. I shall definitely whip out the term 'D Segment' next time I want to sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Of course it's a dying area. 5 years ago a massive proportion of cars sold in this country were D segment and diesel. Consider that now Toyota, for example, have no diesel passeger car offer at all, and when current Avensis stocks run out in a couple of months, will have no D segment offering either.

It's all hybrid and SUV now, man.

Burney
06-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Of course it's a dying area. 5 years ago a massive proportion of cars sold in this country were D segment and diesel. Consider that now Toyota, for example, have no diesel passeger car offer at all, and when current Avensis stocks run out in a couple of months, will have no D segment offering either.

Excellent. As a reward for your help, I will show you Ivanka Trump quoting Val Doonican. Really.

https://twitter.com/IvankaTrump/status/1005809679308656640

PSRB
06-12-2018, 02:23 PM

Which is all very depressing

IUFG
06-12-2018, 02:53 PM

Treat yourself, prsb.

Something like this...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801192913951

Ticks all your boxes (I expect) and is incredible fun.

https://i.atcdn.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=8aca363cf4a64de08413c4aa67d3add4&width=720&height=540&paddingColour=e8e8e3

Though extend your mortgage to pay for tyres and fuel :thumbup:

PSRB
06-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Treat yourself, prsb.

Something like this...

https://i.atcdn.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=8aca363cf4a64de08413c4aa67d3add4&width=720&height=540&paddingColour=e8e8e3

Whilst I'd like something a bit sporty, that may be stretching it a touch

Burney
06-12-2018, 02:59 PM
Treat yourself, prsb.

Something like this...

Is PSRB planning to move to the West country/East Anglia, start working on a farm and tearing up and down country lanes of a Friday and Saturday night, then?

PSRB
Don't do it. Just like Sonos. :-)

I went down the lease route and couldn't be happier, don't think I'll ever buy again. The key is to get the car that the manufacturers are doing a great deal on, you may need to be patient. No idea why but the way it seems to work is that a manufacturer i.e. VW will release a bunch of cars of a certain model i.e. Golf GTI, and provide or allow (not sure which) great financing and you get a great deal.

I was looking for a Golf GTI as my station car, they seemed to be about £1500 down and £300 a month but I just missed out, they had all gone by the time I was ready to do it. So the chap says to me 'however VW just released a bunch of Scirocco Rs for £280 a month'.

Job done. Excellent car for very little, I took a 3 year lease as the warranty is 3 years so I will always have a car under warranty and every 3 years I get a new one. If you get a deal the numbers are pretty similar to buying, you just have no risk.

Highly recommended. Unlike Sonos which was driving me crazy again the other night. :-(

My Sonos is wonderful, works like a dream :techcompetent:

No point leasing, I only do about 3-4,000 miles year if that. More that I just want a newer car for occasional use

IUFG
Whilst I'd like something a bit sporty, that may be stretching it a touch

4 seconds to 60mph, psrb, 4 fúcking seconds!

That is a fúcking ace feeling :cloud9:

:revcounterupfuelgaugedown:

Sir C
06-12-2018, 03:02 PM
4 seconds to 60mph, psrb, 4 fúcking seconds!

That is a fúcking ace feeling :cloud9:

:revcounterupfuelgaugedown:

I happen to have the deal of a lifetime on some 2017 MY Nissan GT-Rs, if you fancy one , i.

£77k. 10 grand off :clap:

IUFG
06-12-2018, 03:04 PM
I happen to have the deal of a lifetime on some 2017 MY Nissan GT-Rs, if you fancy one , i.

£77k. 10 grand off :clap:

I hate to admit it, sc, that is a leeeetle bit too steep for me.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 03:06 PM
I hate to admit it, sc, that is a leeeetle bit too steep for me.

Don't say I didn't try to help, i.

IUFG
06-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Don't say I didn't try to help, i.

ty, sc.

two and a bit seconds to 60mph. Frightening innit.

Pat Vegas
06-12-2018, 03:43 PM

can you up it a bit and get a Range Rover evoque :hide:

I am looking at Alfa Romeos quite a lot.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 03:45 PM

The Giullieta is a lovely car, especially the 1.4 petrol turbo. I think they do a 170hp version. Very rapid.

PSRB
06-12-2018, 03:51 PM

We are considering just keeping my BMW and run it into the grand and lump the £10k on top of trading in her Tiguain and getting an Evoque.

I'd love an Alfa, a definite possibility also

IUFG
06-12-2018, 03:51 PM

I drove the 2.5D auto jobby for a few weeks. Acceleration was as laggy as fúck. Led to a few near misses at junctions and roundabouts.

Fúck all boot space too

Sir C
06-12-2018, 03:55 PM
We are considering just keeping my BMW and run it into the grand and lump the £10k on top of trading in her Tiguain and getting an Evoque.

I'd love an Alfa, a definite possibility also

Don't buy an Evoque. Just... don't. Please. :-(

Put it this way. A daily rental company bought 300 of them. They now only ever rent out 250 of them at any point. They keep 50 in reserve to replace the cars which break down.

You knwo when I said earlier that no one makes a bad car except the frogs? I assumed you'd realise that the Great British Workman isn't to be trusted to build motor cars. Consider the Allegro, man.

Burney
06-12-2018, 03:58 PM

Put it this way. A daily rental company bought 300 of them. They now only ever rent out 250 of them at any point. They keep 50 in reserve to replace the cars which break down.

You knwo when I said earlier that no one makes a bad car except the frogs? I assumed you'd realise that the Great British Workman isn't to be trusted to build motor cars. Consider the Allegro, man.

I remember I went to its Press launch. Two days in the West Midlands. ;shudder:

I also had to sit in the back while some cvnt took the thing around a test track. If you are over 4ft 9, the back of an Evoque is no place to be.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 03:59 PM
I remember I went to its Press launch. Two days in the West Midlands. ;shudder:

I also had to sit in the back while some cvnt took the thing around a test track. If you are over 4ft 9, the back of an Evoque is no place to be.

It really is a piece of crap. A nice looking piece of crap.

PSRB
06-12-2018, 04:02 PM

I loved my Allegro Estate.......

IUFG
06-12-2018, 04:05 PM
I loved my Allegro Estate.......

The Allegro, like the Evoque, was/is available in Brown. Brown?

Burney
06-12-2018, 04:07 PM
It really is a piece of crap. A nice looking piece of crap.

And I had to be surrounded by the motoring press, who are second only to the travel press in being the whiniest, most self-important, entitled and above all deeply boring bunch of cùnts I’ve ever had the misfortune to share a profession with.

IUFG
06-12-2018, 04:10 PM
And I had to be surrounded by the motoring press, who are second only to the travel press in being the whiniest, most self-important, entitled and above all deeply boring bunch of cùnts I’ve ever had the misfortune to share a profession with.

oh I reckon that can be topped; you must attend a CIPD Conference at some point, b...

"Learn from the most influential thinkers and practitioners..."

Erm, no thanks

PSRB
06-12-2018, 04:15 PM
The Allegro, like the Evoque, was/is available in Brown. Brown?

Had it in Metallic Blue. The car served as superb bed after get mashed at a rave.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
06-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Get a Mini :shrug:

PSRB
06-12-2018, 04:16 PM

The double barrelled lady was very nice, cost me a marriage but hey

Burney
06-12-2018, 04:23 PM
The double barrelled lady was very nice, cost me a marriage but hey

Ah, yes. I'd forgotten that. Sorry to open old wounds, old chap.

She wasn't there. I was surrounded by a bunch of trainspotterish men who actually appeared to care about things like 'styling' and something called 'trim'. :shrug: When not talking about these things, they spent the rest of their time nitpicking and b1tching about the (entirely free) hotel/restaurant/transport/staff/entertainment/hospitality and slagging off the then Top Gear presenters (of whom they were all plainly very, very envious).

Cvnts.

PSRB
06-12-2018, 04:26 PM
Get a Mini :shrug:

Just a bit small, otherwise I would. Was the BiL go to car for many years

PSRB
06-12-2018, 04:28 PM
Ah, yes. I'd forgotten that. Sorry to open old wounds, old chap.

She wasn't there. I was surrounded by a bunch of trainspotterish men who actually appeared to care about things like 'styling' and something called 'trim'. :shrug: When not talking about these things, they spent the rest of their time nitpicking and b1tching about the (entirely free) hotel/restaurant/transport/staff/entertainment/hospitality and slagging off the then Top Gear presenters (of whom they were all plainly very, very envious).

Cvnts.

I believe she's now shacked up with a TG cameraman and has at least a child and has pretty much walked away from the industry

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
06-12-2018, 04:28 PM
Had it in Metallic Blue. The car served as superb bed after get mashed at a rave.

FFS, that's why you get a truck. Double bed, sofa and a built kitchen in it so you can cook up your K. Ours was a Ford Cargo - won truck of the year 4/5 years in a row.

Though if you want something smaller, the bog standard chic choice - the 3 series if you will - is a long wheel base Merc van. Get parts all over Europe no probs. Can't go wrong with one of those. Get a door on the side as well as the back.

I miss our truck. It's down in Toulouse somewhere.

PSRB
06-12-2018, 04:32 PM
FFS, that's why you get a truck. Double bed, sofa and a built kitchen in it so you can cook up your K. Ours was a Ford Cargo - won truck of the year 4/5 years in a row.

Though if you want something smaller, the bog standard chic choice - the 3 series if you will - is a long wheel base Merc van. Get parts all over Europe no probs. Can't go wrong with one of those. Get a door on the side as well as the back.

I miss our truck. It's down in Toulouse somewhere.

I was 17/18, I couldn't afford a bloody truck, plus you'd never have got it down some of the country roads we had to use