PDA

View Full Version : Socceraid - As expected there's now a whole load of bleating

PSRB
06-12-2018, 11:41 AM
"Why isn't there a women's version?"

I can imagine that will lead to some rather tricky conversations behind the scenes and if it did go ahead it would probably put the women's game back by about 20 years.

7sisters
06-12-2018, 11:50 AM
I caught a glimpse of a wimmins England game against Russia the other day. Think there were about 20 people in the entire stadium..

Luis Anaconda
06-12-2018, 11:51 AM

I can imagine that will lead to some rather tricky conversations behind the scenes and if it did go ahead it would probably put the women's game back by about 20 years.

Whole load of bleating?

PSRB
06-12-2018, 11:54 AM
Whole load of bleating?

on Twitter

Pokster
06-12-2018, 11:56 AM
Whole load of bleating?

Whole load of bleeding more likely

Luis Anaconda
06-12-2018, 11:58 AM
on Twitter

Meh - there's a whole load of bleating about everything on there though

Luis Anaconda
06-12-2018, 11:59 AM
Whole load of bleeding more likely

Period comedy - like it

PSRB
06-12-2018, 12:00 PM
Meh - there's a whole load of bleating about everything on there though

Anyway, the highlight of Socceraid was actually a woman, Kirsty G in that top :-p

Luis Anaconda
06-12-2018, 12:02 PM
Anyway, the highlight of Socceraid was actually a woman, Kirsty G in that top :-p

ffs pic?????

Quite like that Milkers has been taken up by the Times

SWv2
06-12-2018, 12:25 PM

I note one of the mainstream TV channels has employed chicks to pundit on the imminent WC coverage.

Not just a chick but the black chick who took some case or other against the FA for something, discrimination of some sort I expect.

Almost as if they are trying too hard.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 12:27 PM

Is she married to Terry Yorath, or am I confused?

Pokster
06-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Very confused #senileoldgoat

Luis Anaconda
06-12-2018, 12:40 PM
You're thinking about Gabby Yorath who is married to Kenny Logan who sang the theme tune to Footloose and then became Wolverine in the X-Men

Sir C
06-12-2018, 12:45 PM
You're thinking about Gabby Yorath who is married to Kenny Logan who sang the theme tune to Footloose and then became Wolverine in the X-Men

I like him, 'Coward of the County' is a classic and he was great when he did that duet with Dolly Parton.

7sisters
06-12-2018, 01:08 PM
Chicks, be they black or otherwise should be banned from coming within a mile of a match commentary mic. They just remind me of the f*cking schoolboy crowd section attempting a terrace chant, or some type of netball crowd. There’s just no pleasure in hearing them screeching away with their thin reedy voices ..

Ash
06-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Chicks, be they black or otherwise should be banned from coming within a mile of a match commentary mic. They just remind me of the f*cking schoolboy crowd section attempting a terrace chant, or some type of netball crowd. There’s just no pleasure in hearing them screeching away with their thin reedy voices ..

I've had no problem listening to women cricket commentators. They all know more about the game than I do and they're all better than listening to Ian Botham.

Luis Anaconda
06-12-2018, 01:20 PM
I like him, 'Coward of the County' is a classic and he was great when he did that duet with Dolly Parton.

Dolly is a perfect duet on her own tbf

but my - what a beard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X7Sx62plCw

Luis Anaconda
06-12-2018, 01:21 PM
I've had no problem listening to women cricket commentators. They all know more about the game than I do and they're all better than listening to Ian Botham.

Can't believe any one who has been forced to listen to JOhn Motson for 50 billion years can whine about thin reedy voices

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:22 PM

I've had dental work that made for better listening than Ian Botham. The man should have done the decent thing and died in the Autumn of 1981 imo.

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Can't believe any one who has been forced to listen to JOhn Motson for 50 billion years can whine about thin reedy voices

Look, if 'better than Motson' is your benchmark, you're setting the bar fvcking low.

Motson's continued employment by the BBC remains a mystery.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Dolly is a perfect duet on her own tbf

but my - what a beard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X7Sx62plCw

That Gambler lad nicks the last of his whisky, bums a fag, then gives him advice which is utterly nonsensical.

wd gambler.

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:28 PM
That Gambler lad nicks the last of his whisky, bums a fag, then gives him advice which is utterly nonsensical.

wd gambler.

Does he then gang-rape Becky? Or am I getting mixed up?

Viva Prat Vegas
06-12-2018, 01:29 PM
There was a documentary about Lillywhite Motson on the BBC iplayer recently

It was very dull

Viva Prat Vegas
06-12-2018, 01:30 PM
Burney "Does he then gang-rape Becky? Or am I getting mixed up?"

You're thinking of Corrie

Luis Anaconda
06-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Look, if 'better than Motson' is your benchmark, you're setting the bar fvcking low.

Motson's continued employment by the BBC remains a mystery.

Oh god yes - I agree. He remains some sort of God to certain people though. I've never really understood the need for a commentator on footballer, though. In cricket and rugby they can educate the viewer in some of the more difficult rules. Never once has a football commentator done anything as brazen as that

Sir C
06-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Does he then gang-rape Becky? Or am I getting mixed up?

Like you're not utterly familiar with the Rogers canon :rolleyes:

Luis Anaconda
06-12-2018, 01:33 PM
Burney "Does he then gang-rape Becky? Or am I getting mixed up?"

You're thinking of Corrie

I was thinking he meant more Mark Twain, but b is all about the Thatcher

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:34 PM
There was a documentary about Lillywhite Motson on the BBC iplayer recently

It was very dull

Well of course it was. There is literally - famously - nothing interesting about the man. He was a figure of fun for years, constantly mocked for his tedious commentary where he thought that reeling off statistics in a nasal whine was an acceptable substitute for saying something - anything - insightful.

And then - pretty much overnight it seemed - he went from laughing stock to national treasure. It was weird.

PSRB
06-12-2018, 01:34 PM
Oh god yes - I agree. He remains some sort of God to certain people though. I've never really understood the need for a commentator on footballer, though. In cricket and rugby they can educate the viewer in some of the more difficult rules. Never once has a football commentator done anything as brazen as that

:nod: Even Kenneth Wolstenholme's 'Legendry' piece of commentary in 1966 was pretty obvious if you could a) see and b) hear

Viva Prat Vegas
06-12-2018, 01:35 PM
Sir C "Like you're not utterly familiar with the Rogers canon"

O. Kee
O. Kee
O. Kee

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:36 PM

Football commentators are mostly there to tell you who's got the ball and make way for the expert insight.

The very worst commentary team ever was Motson and Trevor Brooking. Jesus fvcking Christ, it was like being waterboarded.

Luis Anaconda
06-12-2018, 01:37 PM
:nod: Even Kenneth Wolstenholme's 'Legendry' piece of commentary in 1966 was pretty obvious if you could a) see and b) hear

Though will give a pass to Brian Moore for 89 :) Although I didn't hear at the time for shouting "Shoot for ****'s sake, Mickey, Shoot"

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:37 PM
Like you're not utterly familiar with the Rogers canon :rolleyes:

I know The Gambler, Coward of the County, Just Dropped In and Islands In The Stream. That's literally it.

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Though will give a pass to Brian Moore for 89 :) Although I didn't hear at the time for shouting "Shoot for ****'s sake, Mickey, Shoot"

Am I right in saying Moore didn't have a co-commentator in that game? Or have I just forgotten?

Viva Prat Vegas
06-12-2018, 01:40 PM
He had Pleat The Perv alongside him

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:41 PM
He had Pleat The Perv alongside him

Oh, that's right! He was actually alright, old Sexcase.

Ash
06-12-2018, 01:44 PM
Oh, that's right! He was actually alright, old Sexcase.

Offered some geniune insight and called us The Arsenal.

And always started with "good evening/afternoon everybody"

Viva Prat Vegas
06-12-2018, 01:46 PM
And was in charge of Spurs when they lost three times at home to us in 8 weeks

:hehe:

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Offered some geniune insight and called us The Arsenal.

And always started with "good evening/afternoon everybody"

Yes. Dreadful taste in suits, though. And, obviously, women.

Is he dead now?

Burney
06-12-2018, 01:53 PM
And was in charge of Spurs when they lost three times at home to us in 8 weeks

:hehe:

He's the sort of Spurs manager I like best. Ineffectual, inoffensive (indeed, likeable) and never likely to drag them above mediocrity. The really hopeless ones are funnier, of course, but you always know they're never going to last. Much better when they have semi-competent ones like Pleat, Francis or Jol who'll hang on for a while, keeping them down.

Obviously, the current incumbent is completely unacceptable. :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
06-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Indeed neither Gross nor Santini were there long enough to even take a Spurs side to Highbury

As you say - disappointed that their current horse-rider hasn't galloped towards the Spanish sun after giving positive signs in the wake of the most recent of their extensive Semi-Final defeats

Burney
06-12-2018, 02:02 PM
Indeed neither Gross nor Santini were there long enough to even take a Spurs side to Highbury

As you say - disappointed that their current horse-rider hasn't galloped towards the Spanish sun after giving positive signs in the wake of the most recent of their extensive Semi-Final defeats

I think Ardiles was my favourite of their truly sh1t managers.

Yes it is a shame he's not going, because - being Spurs - they'd be sure to get someone properly sh1t in to replace him. They're only allowed a good manager once every 30-odd years, after all.

7sisters
06-12-2018, 02:53 PM
Well of course it was. There is literally - famously - nothing interesting about the man. He was a figure of fun for years, constantly mocked for his tedious commentary where he thought that reeling off statistics in a nasal whine was an acceptable substitute for saying something - anything - insightful.

And then - pretty much overnight it seemed - he went from laughing stock to national treasure. It was weird.

See Trevor MacDonald, who always came across to me as being amiable but a bit dim.

Burney
06-12-2018, 02:57 PM
See Trevor MacDonald, who always came across to me as being amiable but a bit dim.

One does wonder if his career would have been so illustrious and whether he'd have become 'Sir Trevor' had he not had - how to put this - a certain novelty value.

I always preferred Alastair Burnett and his nose anyway.

7sisters
06-12-2018, 03:01 PM
One does wonder if his career would have been so illustrious and whether he'd have become 'Sir Trevor' had he not had - how to put this - a certain novelty value.

I think he owes Lenny Henry a fair bit for the avuncular stuff. Everyone's cuddly ex newsreader, just as, Morgan Freeman was every film makers 'go to' God... Oh , hang on.

IUFG
06-12-2018, 03:02 PM

Meh! he was no Reginald Bosanquet imo

7sisters
06-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Reggie was very fond of a glass or six, if I recall.
At the opposite end, has there ever been a more annoying handbag and smug, poncey newsreader than Alisdair Stewart. ?

Burney
06-12-2018, 03:13 PM

Did you know his dad invented the googly? Hence it being known as the 'Bosie' for quite a while.