PDA

View Full Version : GDPR. So how come all those companies who told me I wouldn't hear from them

Pat Vegas
06-11-2018, 02:22 PM
anymore after the 25th of May.

Now all email me again :sherlock:

it's a mess at work.

Sir C
06-11-2018, 02:25 PM

it's a mess at work.

Being MD of an SME, f, I took the following view of GDPR, whilst I was being battered with the absolute necessity of embarking ona huge project to prepare for it.

"Ignore it," I thought. "It will be like Y2K, lots of people are going to make lots of money out of 'preparing', and then... everyone will forget about it."

So I did fúck all. And nothing's happened.

Professional.

Ash
06-11-2018, 02:26 PM

it's a mess at work.

Report 'em to the ICO. 0303 123 1113

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

They should get round to your complaint before you die.

Pat Vegas
06-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Being MD of an SME, f, I took the following view of GDPR, whilst I was being battered with the absolute necessity of embarking ona huge project to prepare for it.

"Ignore it," I thought. "It will be like Y2K, lots of people are going to make lots of money out of 'preparing', and then... everyone will forget about it."

Professional.

I think the problem is that nobody actually fully understands it.
I have no idea.

seems weird when somebody wants to use our services who has contacted us I have to get them to fill in a form every single time.
:banghead:

Pat Vegas
06-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Report 'em to the ICO. 0303 123 1113

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

They should get round to your complaint before you die.

excellent. Though I'll let currys off they might have some deals I may wish to take advantage of.

Ash
06-11-2018, 02:36 PM

Professional.

I can offer you a consultancy service if you like. A few pints of beer and a bag of chips should do it. :thumbup:

Sir C
06-11-2018, 02:40 PM
I can offer you a consultancy service if you like. A few pints of beer and a bag of chips should do it. :thumbup:

Kind of you a. Kind of you indeed. At the moment I'm sticking with my 'ignore it and it'll go away' strategy. Should anything change I'll be in touch.

Sir C
06-11-2018, 02:44 PM
excellent. Though I'll let currys off they might have some deals I may wish to take advantage of.

You're definitely going to need new electricals when you move. You can't have a spangly new home with a shítty old kettle and a manky dishwasher and a grubby fridge.

(ao.com is better than Currys.)

Ash
06-11-2018, 02:53 PM
You're definitely going to need new electricals when you move. You can't have a spangly new home with a shítty old kettle and a manky dishwasher and a grubby fridge.

(ao.com is better than Currys.)

We had to buy our fridge from Currys in the end and despite the fridge being excellent the service was appalling. Sat at home for about three days before they actually managed the delivery.

Burney
06-11-2018, 02:55 PM
We had to buy our fridge from Currys in the end and despite the fridge being excellent the service was appalling. Sat at home for about three days before they actually managed the delivery.

In my experience, ao employ hordes of non-English speaking chaps who rock up on time and happily fit your oven. I've had them round three times in the last year and not one has spoken anything better than rudimentary English.

Luis Anaconda
06-11-2018, 02:59 PM

I had to get a new fridge for my flat - I have no idea what the service was like as the tenant never informed me as to whether it turned up or not. I assume it did as there were no complaints but a thank you would have been nice :( It was very nice one as well - not some cheat tat I could really have got away with

PSRB
06-11-2018, 03:00 PM

I avoid Curry's like the plague, Richer Sounds, John Lewis and Smart Home Sounds, they all offer far better customer service and considerably better guarantees.

Not tried AO.com as yet.

Ash
06-11-2018, 03:08 PM
In my experience, ao employ hordes of non-English speaking chaps who rock up on time and happily fit your oven. I've had them round three times in the last year and not one has spoken anything better than rudimentary English.

I'll buy the new oven from them then. We need a new one - the old one's a bit dirty. Can they fit them without ripping the whole kitchen out?

Pat Vegas
06-11-2018, 03:29 PM

they messed around with my dishwasher before christmas.
paid for saturday delivery. got the tracking said it was out for delivery. waited around all day and nothing. couldn't call them as it was past their working hours. then they told me it's out of stock.

That being said my new fridge freezer came the other week no problems.

Burney
06-11-2018, 03:30 PM
I had to get a new fridge for my flat - I have no idea what the service was like as the tenant never informed me as to whether it turned up or not. I assume it did as there were no complaints but a thank you would have been nice :( It was very nice one as well - not some cheat tat I could really have got away with

Your flat wasn't on the fourth floor of the Grenfell Tower was it, la? :sherlock:

Pat Vegas
06-11-2018, 03:31 PM

:nod: my parents had a dishwasher and they paid extra for their 'experts' to install it.
They told a load of crap about having to have loads of salt to run it so they couldn't do it and they left.
Then it wouldn't work as their experts didn't remove the blanking caps from the drain. morons.

Burney
06-11-2018, 03:31 PM
I'll buy the new oven from them then. We need a new one - the old one's a bit dirty. Can they fit them without ripping the whole kitchen out?

The lack of English is quite welcome, actually. I hate talking to tradesmen and this way I don't have to and can simply pretend not to understand their inevitable requests to use my lavatory.

Pat Vegas
06-11-2018, 03:32 PM
oh in other news turns out my ceramic hobs are induction. worth keeping?

IUFG
06-11-2018, 03:33 PM

Yes, though you may need some new pots and pans

almost instant heat control

Pat Vegas
06-11-2018, 03:34 PM
Yes, though you may need some new pots and pans

almost instant heat control

excellent.

Burney
06-11-2018, 03:34 PM

Only if you don't mind throwing away all your existing pans.

Pat Vegas
06-11-2018, 03:35 PM
Only if you don't mind throwing away all your existing pans.

I need to weigh up the cost of changing it to buying new pans.
I bought a temporary adapter plate thing in the meantime.

PSRB
06-11-2018, 03:37 PM
:nod: my parents had a dishwasher and they paid extra for their 'experts' to install it.
They told a load of crap about having to have loads of salt to run it so they couldn't do it and they left.
Then it wouldn't work as their experts didn't remove the blanking caps from the drain. morons.

There's generally a reason they end up 'installing' stuff for Currys

IUFG
06-11-2018, 03:37 PM

try these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Circulon-Premier-Professional-Anodised-2-Piece/dp/B007IUNXUE/ cheap as chips and decent enough for you to try out

Burney
06-11-2018, 03:39 PM

I'd get rid, since induction hobs are weird and everyone will think you're gay. :shrug:

IUFG
06-11-2018, 03:41 PM
I'd get rid, since induction hobs are weird and everyone will think you're gay. :shrug:

that's quite a leap there, b. Induction hob to heemasexness.

good work.

Pat Vegas
06-11-2018, 03:43 PM

****ing magnets, How do they work?

Burney
06-11-2018, 03:44 PM
that's quite a leap there, b. Induction hob to heemasexness.

good work.

:shrug: I don't make the rules, you induction hob-using deviant.

Burney
06-11-2018, 03:45 PM
****ing magnets, How do they work?

Nobody knows, f. Magic, I think. Same as telly and the internet.

IUFG
06-11-2018, 03:45 PM
:shrug: I don't make the rules, you induction hob-using deviant.

Oh, I don't have an induction hob, b.

There was one in the last house we were in. The house didn't have mains gas :-(

Burney
06-11-2018, 03:49 PM
Oh, I don't have an induction hob, b.

There was one in the last house we were in. The house didn't have mains gas :-(

So can you use your induction pans on heterosexual hobs as well?

IUFG
06-11-2018, 03:53 PM
So can you use your induction pans on heterosexual hobs as well?

yes, yes you can.

Most decent, newer pans are compatible with all. Copper ones, generally, are not.

Burney
06-11-2018, 03:56 PM
yes, yes you can.

Most decent, newer pans are compatible with all. Copper ones, generally, are not.

Yeah. All my best pans are copper-bottomed. They cost a cvnting fortune 'n all. :-(

IUFG
06-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Yeah. All my best pans are copper-bottomed. They cost a cvnting fortune 'n all. :-(

I've got a Le Creuset frying pan that cost about £100. The induction hob showed it up that it loses its shape at heat.

No such worries back on the gas hob.

Burney
06-11-2018, 04:11 PM
I've got a Le Creuset frying pan that cost about £100. The induction hob showed it up that it loses its shape at heat.

No such worries back on the gas hob.

Well it's cast iron, tbf. Be a bit weird if it didn't deform at heat.

IUFG
06-12-2018, 08:24 AM
Well it's cast iron, tbf. Be a bit weird if it didn't deform at heat.

It's actually made of aluminium.

Whereas my cast iron griddle pan didn't buckle on the induction hob at all.

Burney
06-12-2018, 08:30 AM
It's actually made of aluminium.

Whereas my cast iron griddle pan didn't buckle on the induction hob at all.

Hang on. Why would Le Creuset make something out of aluminium? I have a Le Creuset frying pan and it's cast iron.

IUFG
06-12-2018, 08:34 AM
Hang on. Why would Le Creuset make something out of aluminium? I have a Le Creuset frying pan and it's cast iron.

they do cast iron, steel and aluminium variants, b

for example https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creuset-Toughened-Non-Stick-Deep-Frying/dp/B0016ZS9I8/?th=1

SWv2
06-12-2018, 09:16 AM

Professional.

Do you ever carry out marketing campaigns to whatever customer database you have?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
06-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Do you ever carry out marketing campaigns to whatever customer database you have?

Why would he want to reveal himself to those people he's flogged dodgy motors to? They'd then know where to send the court summons.

Sir C
06-12-2018, 09:31 AM

Certainly, but you may rest assured that every one of my customers considers himself a personal friend, and would never bubble me up.

Burney
06-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Certainly, but you may rest assured that every one of my customers considers himself a personal friend, and would never bubble me up.

'considers himself' :hehe:

SWv2
06-12-2018, 09:46 AM

You are grand then as that is really only how you could fall foul of the 1000000/1 chance of any action being taken.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
06-12-2018, 11:42 AM

it's a mess at work.

http://newsthump.com/2018/05/16/new-law-designed-to-stop-you-receiving-unwanted-email-generating-terabytes-of-unwanted-email/