PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Bourdain gone.....

PSRB
06-08-2018, 11:28 AM
Should I know who he is?

Sir C
06-08-2018, 11:50 AM
Should I know who he is?

Sure. Wrote ‘Kitchen Confidential’ and made some of the very best travel/food programmes for CNN. A great loss, he is.

PSRB
06-08-2018, 11:52 AM
Sure. Wrote ‘Kitchen Confidential’ and made some of the very best travel/food programmes for CNN. A great loss, he is.

I am unfamiliar with his work. I shall reccy Youtube

Luis Anaconda
06-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Should I know who he is?

actually one of the more interesting celebrity chefs

Burney
06-08-2018, 11:58 AM

The less than subtle addition of the helpline here suggests self-slaughter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44414747

Alsace can do that to a chap, to be fair.

Sir C
06-08-2018, 12:07 PM
The less than subtle addition of the helpline here suggests self-slaughter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44414747

Hanged himself, allegedly.

A pity. I still consult his programmes when visiting the East. He invariably sniffed out the good stuff.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
06-08-2018, 12:09 PM

Dunno b. The only other Alsatian I know was a soppy old tit that stubbornly refused to let go.

Burney
06-08-2018, 12:10 PM

A pity. I still consult his programmes when visiting the East. He invariably sniffed out the good stuff.

I suppose it couldn't have been a bizarre w@nking accident, could it? Somehow I'd find that less sad.

Ash
06-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Dunno b. The only other Alsatian I know was a soppy old tit that stubbornly refused to let go.

A bit harsh on dear old redg imo.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
06-08-2018, 12:17 PM

I think hanging is the most romantic of the Selbstmord methods. The single shot into the roof of the mouth has a violent integrity but should only be used by an officer and gentleman that cannot meet his debts and with a splendid old revolver.

What would you choose c? Something involving copious amounts of the marching powder I reckon. I'd be a CO1 man myself - total coward ya see.

Sir C
06-08-2018, 12:20 PM
I think hanging is the most romantic of the Selbstmord methods. The single shot into the roof of the mouth has a violent integrity but should only be used by an officer and gentleman that cannot meet his debts and with a splendid old revolver.

What would you choose c? Something involving copious amounts of the marching powder I reckon. I'd be a CO1 man myself - total coward ya see.

I have given this matter a great deal of thought as you can imagine, h. Sleeping pills for me, I think. Drift off to the land of nod and never wake up. Lovely. On the other hand, I suppose you might wake up vomiting violently and then go through agony dying of organ failure.

I think we can agree that suicide is fraught with danger.

Sir C
06-08-2018, 12:21 PM
I suppose it couldn't have been a bizarre w@nking accident, could it? Somehow I'd find that less sad.

Nah. I don't think he was the wánking type.

He was a keen coke head and alky, wasn't he? Hoefully he just couldn't take enjoying himself so much any more and decided to check out while he was still ahead.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
06-08-2018, 12:24 PM
I have given this matter a great deal of thought as you can imagine, h. Sleeping pills for me, I think. Drift off to the land of nod and never wake up. Lovely. On the other hand, I suppose you might wake up vomiting violently and then go through agony dying of organ failure.

The old tube from exhaust to inside of car is a dead cert and quite painless my physician friend informs me - unless some damn fool interrupts you and you survive with severe brain damage.

Launching from a high building is fraught with the danger that you might change your mind on the way down.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
06-08-2018, 12:25 PM
Nah. I don't think he was the wánking type.

Every man is the wánking type c. I hear Berni even has a shed devoted to the pursuit with pretty curtains and everything.

Luis Anaconda
06-08-2018, 12:26 PM

There's literally no coming back from this one, Clive

Burney
06-08-2018, 12:30 PM
The old tube from exhaust to inside of car is a dead cert and quite painless my physician friend informs me - unless some damn fool interrupts you and you survive with severe brain damage.

Launching from a high building is fraught with the danger that you might change your mind on the way down.

Not sure that works anymore, h. It relied on Carbon Monoxide coming out of cars, which it simply doesn't anymore.

PSRB
06-08-2018, 12:31 PM

Pills and booze was my thought process before deciding it was all a very silly idea

Luis Anaconda
06-08-2018, 12:32 PM
Not sure that works anymore, h. It relied on Carbon Monoxide coming out of cars, which it simply doesn't anymore.

Don't believe what they tell you, b

Burney
06-08-2018, 12:32 PM

Certainly there's nothing romantic about slowly strangling to death, involving as it does a variety of fluids coming out of you while you spend minutes choking. Unless, of course, you can calculate the right drop to break your neck without pulling your fvcking head off.

I've always thought an opioid or barbiturate overdose would be best, yes.

Burney
06-08-2018, 12:34 PM
Don't believe what they tell you, b

Well, you could still do it with an old car, but mostly what comes out of a modern petrol exhaust is CO2 and water.

Burney
06-08-2018, 12:37 PM
Pills and booze was my thought process before deciding it was all a very silly idea

Yes, although even that can go wrong. If you take too much, you can puke. Or someone can 'save' you, which - as happened to a girl of my acquaintance who took a bunch of paracetamol - means you live, but have a totally fvcked liver and kidneys.

Ash
06-08-2018, 12:39 PM

Running headlong into a wall of machine gun fire at the Somme for me. Imagining that is the only way I get to sleep at night.

Sir C
06-08-2018, 12:40 PM
Running headlong into a wall of machine gun fire at the Somme for me. Imagining that is the only way I get to sleep at night.

Is everything alright, a? Is there anything you'd like to share with the group? :-(

Sir C
06-08-2018, 12:42 PM
Certainly there's nothing romantic about slowly strangling to death, involving as it does a variety of fluids coming out of you while you spend minutes choking. Unless, of course, you can calculate the right drop to break your neck without pulling your fvcking head off.

I've always thought an opioid or barbiturate overdose would be best, yes.

Mind you, a long drop leading to the pulling off of the head is going to be quick and painless, one imagines.

I can't remember ever seeing him cook? Did he do the actual celebrity tv chef thing?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
06-08-2018, 12:44 PM

Opening a vein in the bath, as chosen by Roman nobility, was very considerate. It would look a little sanguinary to whoever discovered the body but one simply empties the bath and the blood is gone - very tidy.

Peter
06-08-2018, 12:44 PM

I was reading somewhere that sleeping pills hardly ever works. It has the worst success rate of any form of suicide, including jumping off buildings.

Revolver through the mouth. Gone in seconds.

Peter
06-08-2018, 12:46 PM

Do you have a WW1 fetish, Ash? Or is this some kind of generational guilt kind of thing?

Viva Prat Vegas
06-08-2018, 12:48 PM
I still favour the booze , pills and body-decomposition-by-running-bath-taps method

Sir C
06-08-2018, 12:48 PM
Opening a vein in the bath, as chosen by Roman nobility, was very considerate. It would look a little sanguinary to whoever discovered the body but one simply empties the bath and the blood is gone - very tidy.

I could crash an aeroplane into a building. A football stadium, perhaps.

You know I'm a licensed pilot, right?

Ash
06-08-2018, 12:53 PM
Do you have a WW1 fetish, Ash? Or is this some kind of generational guilt kind of thing?

Dunno. Maybe both. Romantic though, isn't it? Dulce et decorum est. Pro patria mori. Which as we know translates as "It's fùcking ace to die for a yard of land".

Viva Prat Vegas
06-08-2018, 12:55 PM
Brentan Rodgers could always talk you to death

O. Kee

Sir C
06-08-2018, 12:59 PM
Brentan Rodgers could always talk you to death

O. Kee

I find his voice rather mellifluous. He would simply talk me to sleep.

Burney
06-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Mind you, a long drop leading to the pulling off of the head is going to be quick and painless, one imagines.

I can't remember ever seeing him cook? Did he do the actual celebrity tv chef thing?

No. He did a good line in slagging off celebrity TV chefs, though.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
06-08-2018, 01:26 PM
I could crash an aeroplane into a building. A football stadium, perhaps.

You know I'm a licensed pilot, right?

I think you were a licensed pilot until they found you unconscious in the cockpit of your little Chipmunk, reeking of booze with tell tale white powder coagulations* in your nostrils

*bogies

Sir C
06-08-2018, 01:28 PM
I think you were a licensed pilot until they found you unconscious in the cockpit of your little Chipmunk, reeking of booze with tell tale white powder coagulations* in your nostrils

*bogies

What a beautiful thing a Chipmunk is, h! With control forces so perfectly co-ordinated, it really handles like a little fighter.

Do you know why pre-aerobatic checks (HASELL) include the item 'Brakes off'?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
06-08-2018, 01:42 PM
What a beautiful thing a Chipmunk is, h! With control forces so perfectly co-ordinated, it really handles like a little fighter.

Do you know why pre-aerobatic checks (HASELL) include the item 'Brakes off'?

Because trying to move off in any contraption, flying or otherwise, with one's brakes still on usually results in a face planter? I'm sure you'll explain in more detail and illustrate the point with a tale or two of derring do in which you laughed in the face of death.

Sir C
06-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Because trying to move off in any contraption, flying or otherwise, with one's brakes still on usually results in a face planter? I'm sure you'll explain in more detail and illustrate the point with a tale or two of derring do in which you laughed in the face of death.

Well, it is as you say a fascinating matter. The ground steering system on the Chipmunk involves applying a couple of notches of brake and the using differential braking, but of course with such brakes applied one cannot select full rudder and the Chippy, for all her benign manners, will not recover from a developed spin without full rudder. This item on the RAF checklist became, for some reason, common currency in aeroplanes which have no such brake/rudder issues.

So now you know.

Peter
06-08-2018, 01:57 PM
Dunno. Maybe both. Romantic though, isn't it? Dulce et decorum est. Pro patria mori. Which as we know translates as "It's fùcking ace to die for a yard of land".

I think it is quite common to envision oneself at a place and point in history and romanticise it....

I doubt The Somme in 1916 is a particularly common destination.......

Peter
06-08-2018, 01:58 PM
Well, it is as you say a fascinating matter. The ground steering system on the Chipmunk involves applying a couple of notches of brake and the using differential braking, but of course with such brakes applied one cannot select full rudder and the Chippy, for all her benign manners, will not recover from a developed spin without full rudder. This item on the RAF checklist became, for some reason, common currency in aeroplanes which have no such brake/rudder issues.

So now you know.

Taxi to the runway, point her straight and stick yer boot down.

Its hardly rocket science is it....

Sir C
06-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Taxi to the runway, point her straight and stick yer boot down.

Its hardly rocket science is it....

Which boot p? Why do you want full rudder as you sit stationary on the runway?

Peter
06-08-2018, 02:11 PM
Which boot p? Why do you want full rudder as you sit stationary on the runway?

Stop ****ing about and get her in the air! Pull that thing back or whatever it is you do.

Bloody glorified tube drivers.