PDA

View Full Version : In Amsterdam for work, I can't indulge.....

The Insider
06-05-2018, 08:12 PM
.......in one pleasure and have no interest in the other. Any advice on what to do to keep me on the straight and narrow??

Redwater
06-06-2018, 07:46 AM
which one can’t you do, and which one are you not interested in?

Sir C
06-06-2018, 08:10 AM
.......in one pleasure and have no interest in the other. Any advice on what to do to keep me on the straight and narrow??

Rijksmuseum, naturally. Wander the Jordaan and the Negen Straatjes. Check out the Verzetsmuseum. If the sun is shining check out Vondelpark. Try some local delicacies: Hollandse Nieuwe - raw, salted herring, kroketten, bitterballen, frikadellen, patatje oorlog. Go for an Indonesian feast, a rijstafel. Buy some cheese, but go to Albert Heijn, not a rip off tourist shop.

Peter
06-06-2018, 08:17 AM

Lets be honest, this is what everyone wants to know :)

Peter
06-06-2018, 08:18 AM
Rijksmuseum, naturally. Wander the Jordaan and the Negen Straatjes. Check out the Verzetsmuseum. If the sun is shining check out Vondelpark. Try some local delicacies: Hollandse Nieuwe - raw, salted herring, kroketten, bitterballen, frikadellen, patatje oorlog. Go for an Indonesian feast, a rijstafel. Buy some cheese, but go to Albert Heijn, not a rip off tourist shop.

He could get some piss-poor coke off one of the Street merchants. Surely work wouldnt objects to that....

THe rest of the place is just a massive ****hole.

IUFG
06-06-2018, 08:21 AM

https://3m3cna178rlp1rclw43v482p-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/images/febo.jpg

Get yourself to Leidseplein.

Plenty to do around there.

Also Rembrandtplein for eateries and Heineken. and Bavaria. And Grolsch. Not Amstel, mind.

Burney
06-06-2018, 08:24 AM
He could get some piss-poor coke off one of the Street merchants. Surely work wouldnt objects to that....

THe rest of the place is just a massive ****hole.

I remember being with a chap in Amsterdam who hadn't really understood the whole 'decriminalisation' thing and bought hash off a street dealer. This chap pulled this brown lump out of his pants, bit off a piece, charged him a ludicrous quantity of guilders for the privilege (which he dutifully paid) and fvcked off. When he came to smoke this stuff, it behaved, smelled and had all the narcotic effects of burnt plastic. We ripped the p1ss out of him for the rest of the trip.

Burney
06-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Also Rembrandtplein for eateries and Heineken. and Bavaria. And Grolsch. Not Amstel, mind.

Febo. :bow:

Peter
06-06-2018, 08:28 AM
I remember being with a chap in Amsterdam who hadn't really understood the whole 'decriminalisation' thing and bought hash off a street dealer. This chap pulled this brown lump out of his pants, bit off a piece, charged him a ludicrous quantity of guilders for the privilege (which he dutifully paid) and fvcked off. When he came to smoke this stuff, it behaved, smelled and had all the narcotic effects of burnt plastic. We ripped the p1ss out of him for the rest of the trip.

I drunkenly argued with a guy claiming the coke he had given me didnt even feel like coke- thatyoucould rub it in your hand and it didnt crumble and felt like plastic. He very patiently explained that it was in a plastic bag :)

In my defence I was expecting a folded lottery ticket.

He had the last laugh- the cokewas rubbish, although it was quite cheap so..... fair enough I suppose.

WES
06-06-2018, 08:32 AM

Presumably that is cutting edge Dutch cuisine? No wonder Charles knows sod all about food

Burney
06-06-2018, 08:34 AM
Presumably that is cutting edge Dutch cuisine? No wonder Charles knows sod all about food

I'm not sure this line of argument works out well for you, tbh. :-\

WES
06-06-2018, 08:39 AM
I'm not sure this line of argument works out well for you, tbh. :-\

You have posted a picture of a quite superb dish. I have never - and I mean never - met anyone who has not loved it.

Poutine :eat: :cloud9:

IUFG
06-06-2018, 08:39 AM

When you have the munchies, it tastes like heaven, wes

especially those little croquettes of indeterminate spicy stuff

Burney
06-06-2018, 08:41 AM
You have posted a picture of a quite superb dish. I have never - and I mean never - met anyone who has not loved it.

Poutine :eat: :cloud9:

It's disgusting and contains 'cheese curds' - a foodstuff that would make a moose vomit.

Burney
06-06-2018, 08:42 AM
When you have the munchies, it tastes like heaven, wes

especially those little croquettes of indeterminate spicy stuff

:nod: And you can get fried chicken from behind a plastic window. Which seems a bit like magic.

IUFG
06-06-2018, 08:43 AM
:nod: And you can get fried chicken from behind a plastic window. Which seems a bit like magic.

and meatball sandwiches :eat:

Burney
06-06-2018, 08:45 AM
and meatball sandwiches :eat:

Even now when I'm too old for all that silly drug stuff I find a plate of bitterballen with mustard and a beer to be a splendid light lunch.

wd dutchers

WES
06-06-2018, 08:46 AM
It's disgusting and contains 'cheese curds' - a foodstuff that would make a moose vomit.

Cheese curds are dull and unpleasant when cold, when heated they have the consistency of soft mozzarella which is perfect for the dish.

I struggle to understand how anyone couldn't love it. It's pretty much the perfect comfort food. :nod:

Burney
06-06-2018, 08:48 AM
Cheese curds are dull and unpleasant when cold, when heated they have the consistency of soft mozzarella which is perfect for the dish.

I struggle to understand how anyone couldn't love it. It's pretty much the perfect comfort food. :nod:

It's very simple: smothering chips in gravy ruins them. :shrug:

WES
06-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Nonsense - chips and gravy is quite wonderful. You hate it cause northerners love it I reckon.

northernist bigot that you are :nod:

Burney
06-06-2018, 08:55 AM
Nonsense - chips and gravy is quite wonderful. You hate it cause northerners love it I reckon.

northernist bigot that you are :nod:

If you want to dip a chip in gravy, that is fine. You retain the crispness of the chip while enjoying the gravy.

If, on the other hand, you want to smother them in gravy, you simply have soggy chips and might as well not have bothered deep-frying them in the first place. :shrug:

Sir C
06-06-2018, 08:59 AM
If you want to dip a chip in gravy, that is fine. You retain the crispness of the chip while enjoying the gravy.

If, on the other hand, you want to smother them in gravy, you simply have soggy chips and might as well not have bothered deep-frying them in the first place. :shrug:

Had a bit of phone trouble last night. Just seen your picture. Thank you for that.

My hollandaise was perfect yesterday. I will gird my loins and try the mayonnaise again today.

Burney
06-06-2018, 09:05 AM
Had a bit of phone trouble last night. Just seen your picture. Thank you for that.

My hollandaise was perfect yesterday. I will gird my loins and try the mayonnaise again today.

I actually had that moment when preparing yesterday's dinner when I thought 'Oh, sh1t! I've got to make mayonnaise as well - what an arse ache'. Then I remembered that it took mere seconds. You don't even have to measure anything. :cloud9:

Luis Anaconda
06-06-2018, 09:25 AM

Sorry b - couldn't be more wrong. And I don't agree with WES easily

Burney
06-06-2018, 09:28 AM
Sorry b - couldn't be more wrong. And I don't agree with WES easily

Et tu la? :-(

Ash
06-06-2018, 10:11 AM

I like soggy chips. That's why if there isn't any gravy on the plate I soak them in bean juice. :eat:

Burney
06-06-2018, 10:12 AM
I like soggy chips. That's why if there isn't any gravy on the plate I soak them in bean juice. :eat:

I'm surrounded by savages. :-(

Peter
06-06-2018, 10:29 AM
I'm surrounded by savages. :-(

I can see the merits in both arguments. It is very unusual for me to admit that....

Burney
06-06-2018, 10:33 AM
I can see the merits in both arguments. It is very unusual for me to admit that....

Look, I'll concede that chip shop chips can be gravied if you're that sort of person, since they're not crisp in the first place.

However, to make crisp, fluffy chips and then drown them in gravy just seems sacrilegious to me.

Peter
06-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Look, I'll concede that chip shop chips can be gravied if you're that sort of person, since they're not crisp in the first place.

However, to make crisp, fluffy chips and then drown them in gravy just seems sacrilegious to me.

Yeah, there you go. I am with on the smothering/drowning. THat is simply not necessary.

I do rather enjoy Ash's suggestion of beans. I wasnt going to mention it as I know how you feel about the baked bean and you were evidently a little upset already

Burney
06-06-2018, 10:38 AM
Yeah, there you go. I am with on the smothering/drowning. THat is simply not necessary.

I do rather enjoy Ash's suggestion of beans. I wasnt going to mention it as I know how you feel about the baked bean and you were evidently a little upset already

Baked beans are an abomination, p.

IUFG
06-06-2018, 11:02 AM

KFC gravy is a salty, gloopy treat + floppy, soggy french fries = :eat:

The Insider
06-06-2018, 04:07 PM

The one that Mrs Insider has no problem with. Epic fail last night, hence the abcense from here. So f**k it going to go again tonight!

The Insider
06-06-2018, 04:15 PM

I've always loved these machines. Been addicted to them since the mid-eighties. Perfect munchies!