PDA

View Full Version : The source of much debate - what is the best colour tie for a blue suit/white shirt

Rich
06-05-2018, 09:49 AM
combination?

Many will say that red is a classic here - but it just makes me think people are trying too hard to dress 'powerfully'.

Burney
06-05-2018, 09:54 AM
combination?

Many will say that red is a classic here - but it just makes me think people are trying too hard to dress 'powerfully'.

You aren't suggesting wearing a solid-colour tie are you, r? This is something only done by spivs, estate agents, footballers and politicians. Your tie should have a subtle, but distinct pattern.

IUFG
06-05-2018, 10:01 AM
combination?

Slightly contrasting blue with a discreet herringbone pattern imo

Burney
06-05-2018, 10:09 AM
Slightly contrasting blue with a discreet herringbone pattern imo

Something like this would work nicely, as well.

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/paul_smith/6-5cm-polka-dot-silk-jacquard-tie/975754?ignoreRedirect=true&ppv=2&cm_mmc=Google-ProductSearch-UK--c-_-MRP_EN_UK_PLA-_-MRP_UK_GS_Designers+%28High%29--Paul+Smith_INTL&gclid=CjwKCAjw6djYBRB8EiwAoAF6ofOye79cDuitQWbBNNTW CBMy3tTJFw9iUotw0bN6uNKMwmFFuSX_TxoCA6EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

IUFG
06-05-2018, 10:23 AM
Something like this would work nicely, as well.

https://www.mrporter.com/en-gb/mens/paul_smith/6-5cm-polka-dot-silk-jacquard-tie/975754?ignoreRedirect=true&ppv=2&cm_mmc=Google-ProductSearch-UK--c-_-MRP_EN_UK_PLA-_-MRP_UK_GS_Designers+%28High%29--Paul+Smith_INTL&gclid=CjwKCAjw6djYBRB8EiwAoAF6ofOye79cDuitQWbBNNTW CBMy3tTJFw9iUotw0bN6uNKMwmFFuSX_TxoCA6EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.hugoboss.com/uk/italian-made-patterned-tie-in-silk-jacquard/hbeu50390062_481.html?cgid=24510-1#start=1

Sir C
06-05-2018, 10:54 AM
You aren't suggesting wearing a solid-colour tie are you, r? This is something only done by spivs, estate agents, footballers and politicians. Your tie should have a subtle, but distinct pattern.

I generally wear solid colour ties.

Are you calling me a spiv?

Burney
06-05-2018, 10:55 AM
I generally wear solid colour ties.

Are you calling me a spiv?

You come under 'footballers' - having played at a certain level and all. ;-)

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
06-05-2018, 10:56 AM
combination?

A paper bag over your head would seem most appropriate

Herbert Augustus Chapman
06-05-2018, 11:52 AM
You come under 'footballers' - having played at a certain level and all. ;-)

The only level the reprehensible old tosser ever played at was "walking football for fat old tossers" level.

Peter
06-05-2018, 12:15 PM
combination?

Ignore the nonsense about solid-colour ties. B is talking ****e.

A burgundy goes well with yourcombination or, if you are looking to make an impression, a goldish yellow- although that can look estate agenty ifyou get the shade wrong.

Rich
06-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Ignore the nonsense about solid-colour ties. B is talking ****e.

A burgundy goes well with yourcombination or, if you are looking to make an impression, a goldish yellow- although that can look estate agenty ifyou get the shade wrong.

With or without tie-clip?

Peter
06-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Tie clip screams '****er' to me but maybe that is just me.

Sir C
06-05-2018, 12:52 PM

Ask yourself this question: 'Is it 1978?' If the answer is 'no', pop the tie clip back in the bin.

Burney
06-05-2018, 02:04 PM

Rich. I'm increasingly forced to conclude that you're some kind of bounder.

Tie-clip, indeed! If you can't manage not to dangle your tie in the soup without the aid of a fastening device, you oughtn't to be allowed out in public.

Peter
06-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Tie-clip, indeed! If you can't manage not to dangle your tie in the soup without the aid of a fastening device, you oughtn't to be allowed out in public.

One can swing the tie over one shoulder and identify oneself as a complete and utter ****.

eastgermanautos
06-05-2018, 03:41 PM
combination?

Follow up question. If the suit has pinstripes does this affect one's thinking?

Luis Anaconda
06-05-2018, 03:45 PM
Follow up question. If the suit has pinstripes does this affect one's thinking?
Of course, it does since you are clearly going to a fancy dress party and the tie is irrelevant

Luis Anaconda
06-05-2018, 03:51 PM

Peter Bowles knew how to dress though - the consummate bounder

Redwater
06-06-2018, 07:54 AM
Burgundy, bottle or lime green, or burnt orange (ideally grenadine or knitted for some texture) would all work very nicely.

Blue with a pattern would be fine but a bit conservative in my opinion.

Dark grey, dark brown or black also safe options.

Pat Vegas
06-06-2018, 09:15 AM
combination?

get a red tie. then you can pretend to be Wenger.
though I prefer red with dark grey suit white shirt, silver rolex.