PDA

View Full Version : My feelings about the Irish referendum are a bit like my feelings

Monty92
05-25-2018, 11:13 AM
when Spurs used to play one of our fellow title contenders.

You know what would be the right result to favour, but a small part of you can’t help wanting the bad guys to win because of how many ****s it would annoy.

Peter
05-25-2018, 11:26 AM

You know what would be the right result to favour, but a small part of you can’t help wanting the bad guys to win because of how many ****s it would annoy.

So you ideally want both sides to lose?

SWv2
05-25-2018, 11:31 AM

Is the referendum getting much coverage in the UK?

Monty92
05-25-2018, 11:43 AM
Is the referendum getting much coverage in the UK?

A fair amount, but perhaps not as much as you'd expect given that we're constantly told society is only a few steps away from resembling The Handmaid's Tale.

I think it may be another example of the soft bigotry of low expectations. People expect a country like Ireland to be unreconstructed in its views towards women, whereas the UK and America should know better.

SWv2
05-25-2018, 11:48 AM
A fair amount, but perhaps not as much as you'd expect given that we're constantly told society is only a few steps away from resembling The Handmaid's Tale.

I think it may be another example of the soft bigotry of low expectations. People expect a country like Ireland to be unreconstructed in its views towards women, whereas the UK and America should know better.

"People" expect?

:-|

Peter
05-25-2018, 01:43 PM

THis is more about the enduring influence of the catholic church on Irish law and social attitudes Some people would blame the religion for these unreconstructed views.....

SWv2
05-25-2018, 01:52 PM
THis is more about the enduring influence of the catholic church on Irish law and social attitudes Some people would blame the religion for these unreconstructed views.....

Chick canvassed me at lunchtime, asked me if I wanted a sticker to say I had voted (Yes).

I pointed out to her that I had not voted so the sticker would have been false representation. She asked me if I was going to vote later and I responded in the affirmative so she again asked me if I wanted a sticker and I again said No.

She wanted me to lie on behalf of her campaign, and she assumed I was voting on behalf of her campaign.

She wasn’t even a fox.

Peter
05-25-2018, 01:54 PM
Chick canvassed me at lunchtime, asked me if I wanted a sticker to say I had voted (Yes).

I pointed out to her that I had not voted so the sticker would have been false representation. She asked me if I was going to vote later and I responded in the affirmative so she again asked me if I wanted a sticker and I again said No.

She wanted me to lie on behalf of her campaign, and she assumed I was voting on behalf of her campaign.

She wasn’t even a fox.

So, will you be voting? And if so, which way?

Ash
05-25-2018, 01:58 PM

She wasn’t even a fox.

Can she really be a chick AND a fox at the same time though, without seriously mixing the metaphors?

Doesn't the fox get among the chickens, after all? Or am I thinking of cats and pigeons?

Burney
05-25-2018, 02:03 PM

Ireland only fully legalised contraception in 1985; decriminalised homosexuality in 1993 and finally allowed divorce in 1995.

Those low expectations are FULLY merited.

Ireland is a backwards dungheap.

Luis Anaconda
05-25-2018, 02:04 PM
Can she really be a chick AND a fox at the same time though, without seriously mixing the metaphors?

Doesn't the fox get among the chickens, after all? Or am I thinking of cats and pigeons?

I think it is to do with crossing rivers - you can't have a fox and a chick in the same boat but you can't leave the chick with the food otherwise the fat cow will eat it. I hope this is clear

redgunamo
05-25-2018, 02:04 PM

Lovely

https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/79783266-e1475647269371.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&strip=all

Sir C
05-25-2018, 02:05 PM

She wasn’t even a fox.

Did you stare at her tits to ensure she understands who holds the power here?

Burney
05-25-2018, 02:07 PM

...and those people would be absolutely right.

Until very recently, Ireland was in large part a theocracy, with vast swathes of public policy left in the hands of foul, red-faced culchie nonces masquerading as men of god. Needless to say, many of those areas involved the care of young children...with predictable results.

Sir C
05-25-2018, 02:11 PM

Until very recently, Ireland was in large part a theocracy, with vast swathes of public policy left in the hands of foul, red-faced culchie nonces masquerading as men of god. Needless to say, many of those areas involved the care of young children...with predictable results.

I'm sure that many priests were and are extremely good people, trying to act in a decent way and follow their faith. It seems a shame to generalise as if they were all guilty. Certainly I have known several Irish priests who had no interest in my genitals.

Burney
05-25-2018, 02:13 PM
I'm sure that many priests were and are extremely good people, trying to act in a decent way and follow their faith. It seems a shame to generalise as if they were all guilty. Certainly I have known several Irish priests who had no interest in my genitals.

No. Sorry. To me that’s like saying that there were nice members of the Waffen SS. Merely joining makes you an evil, deviant fùck.

Peter
05-25-2018, 02:14 PM

Yes, although historically that religion is inexorably tied to their nationalism- indeed their nationhood.
Admittedly, it has taken far too long to break that historical tie.

Still, they keep a decent drop in every pub. THere is a lot to be said for that

Burney
05-25-2018, 02:17 PM
Yes, although historically that religion is inexorably tied to their nationalism- indeed their nationhood.
Admittedly, it has taken far too long to break that historical tie.

Still, they keep a decent drop in every pub. THere is a lot to be said for that

In fact, though, the Church was firmly opposed to the nationalist cause from the Catholic Emancipation Act onwards and worked hand-in-glove with the British in helping to govern Ireland.

The Church goes where the power is.

Sir C
05-25-2018, 02:18 PM
No. Sorry. To me that’s like saying that there were nice members of the Waffen SS. Merely joining makes you an evil, deviant fùck.

There. You have become over-emotional and intemperate.

Consider the facts. It is Friday, and there is a cold one with your name on it no more than 4 hours away. The weather is set fair for the weekend; you may decide to enjoy your allotment, or experiment with different emulsion sauces, go for a run, take a walk with the glw and bask in the spring sunshine. There will probably be a lovely movie on TV (I shall be watching my DVD of The Mayor of Casterbridge). You have 3 days of perfect freedom before you. :cloud9:

Burney
05-25-2018, 02:20 PM
There. You have become over-emotional and intemperate.

Consider the facts. It is Friday, and there is a cold one with your name on it no more than 4 hours away. The weather is set fair for the weekend; you may decide to enjoy your allotment, or experiment with different emulsion sauces, go for a run, take a walk with the glw and bask in the spring sunshine. There will probably be a lovely movie on TV (I shall be watching my DVD of The Mayor of Casterbridge). You have 3 days of perfect freedom before you. :cloud9:

In fact, we’re off to Paris on Tuesday until Saturday.

Not my idea. If you told me I could never go to Paris again, I shouldn’t be the least bit bothered.

Sir C
05-25-2018, 02:22 PM
In fact, we’re off to Paris on Tuesday until Saturday.

Not my idea. If you told me I could never go to Paris again, I shouldn’t be the least bit bothered.

Ah, Paris in the spring, what could be lovelier? The city of love, b. Perhaps you can make a baby while you're there! Imagine! A brand new mini B. A miracle.

I shall pray for your conjugal rapture to be blessed in this way.

Burney
05-25-2018, 02:23 PM
Ah, Paris in the spring, what could be lovelier? The city of love, b. Perhaps you can make a baby while you're there! Imagine! A brand new mini B. A miracle.

:-( What a perfectly foul idea!

Sir C
05-25-2018, 02:25 PM
:-( What a perfectly foul idea!

:-( You can do it through a hole in a sheet if you find it that offensive, b :-(

Ash
05-25-2018, 02:27 PM
Ireland only fully legalised contraception in 1985; decriminalised homosexuality in 1993 and finally allowed divorce in 1995.

If you were a real conservative you'd see those as three steps backward.

Burney
05-25-2018, 02:29 PM
:-( You can do it through a hole in a sheet if you find it that offensive, b :-(

The ruffty would be enough of a trial, but the thought of having to live with a mewling, puking infant at my age is simply horrific.

Burney
05-25-2018, 02:31 PM
If you were a real conservative you'd see those as three steps backward.

I’ve never claimed to be a conservative - merely a Conservative.

Sir C
05-25-2018, 02:34 PM
The ruffty would be enough of a trial, but the thought of having to live with a mewling, puking infant at my age is simply horrific.

Are you not feeling the jiggyjiggy currently, b? Perhaps you're going through the change.:-(

Burney
05-25-2018, 02:36 PM
Are you not feeling the jiggyjiggy currently, b? Perhaps you're going through the change.:-(

I prefer my allotment these days. It doesn’t expect to be cuddled after I’ve sown my seed in it.

Sir C
05-25-2018, 02:39 PM
I prefer my allotment these days. It doesn’t expect to be cuddled after I’ve sown my seed in it.

The position is ridiculous, the pleasure momentary and the expense damnable, as the man said.

I'm thinking of buying some testosterone off the internet. I assume you can get it in tablet form. I think I'm getting old.

SWv2
05-25-2018, 02:41 PM

A chick can be a fox, a chick can also be a munter. A fox is not a munter.

Clear?

SWv2
05-25-2018, 02:42 PM

I really must object.

Burney
05-25-2018, 02:42 PM
The position is ridiculous, the pleasure momentary and the expense damnable, as the man said.

I'm thinking of buying some testosterone off the internet. I assume you can get it in tablet form. I think I'm getting old.

Why on earth would you want to do that? Do as thon antic Grecian cove did and view it as being unshackled from a lunatic.

Burney
05-25-2018, 02:43 PM
I really must object.

You certainly may object, sw, but the evidence supports my argument, I’m afraid. Facts don’t care about your feelings. :shrug:

Sir C
05-25-2018, 02:44 PM
Why on earth would you want to do that? Do as thon antic Grecian cove did and view it as being unshackled from a lunatic.

It's more for the violence, to be honest. When confronted by an issue / problem / person my instinctive reaction isn't to kick its **** in any more. I miss those days. :-(

redgunamo
05-25-2018, 02:47 PM
I’ve never claimed to be a conservative - merely a Conservative.

And there's the rub; by the time a man appreciates the difference, it's too late to do anything about it.

Ash
05-25-2018, 03:03 PM
A chick can be a fox, a chick can also be a munter. A fox is not a munter.

Clear?

I know all that really.

I was hoofing around. Larking about.

What type of animal is a munter?

SWv2
05-25-2018, 03:04 PM

As a token nod to the great man's 60th birthday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3eGSA4P5vw

HB JWW / PW.

SWv2
05-25-2018, 03:05 PM
I know all that really.

I was hoofing around. Larking about.

What type of animal is a munter?

Oh, I see, all the stress and seriousness of GDPR is in the past, all back to fun and frivolity eh.

Wenger out!

Ash
05-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Oh, I see, all the stress and seriousness of GDPR is in the past, all back to fun and frivolity eh.

Wenger out!

GDPR never ends, my friend. It is a journey, not a destination. :driving:

SWv2
05-25-2018, 03:13 PM
GDPR never ends, my friend. It is a journey, not a destination. :driving:

Oh now, I quite like that and with your permission will look to use it / shoehorn it into a meeting at some point in the future.

I see IUFG has fúcked off now all his dirty work is done. Worse than Peter.