PDA

View Full Version : I know public information films of the 70s and 80s are a standard comedy trope, but

Burney
05-22-2018, 11:25 AM
fvcking hell! I'd forgotten how grim some of them were. :hehe: It's no wonder we grew up too scared to let our kids go outside. The government spent a decade or so scaring the sh1t out of us.

https://twitter.com/ScarredForLife2/status/998655482125570050

Ash
05-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Gosh. They are a bit strong.

Tufty Club was gentler, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JgaId8o9Jo

IUFG
05-22-2018, 11:39 AM
fvcking hell! I'd forgotten how grim some of them were. :hehe: It's no wonder we grew up too scared to let our kids go outside. The government spent a decade or so scaring the sh1t out of us.

The Finishing Line scarred me. The made us watch this at school...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slJyhOEo-SY

Burney
05-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Gosh. They are a bit strong.

Tufty Club was gentler, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JgaId8o9Jo

It's where they cut back to the tuft of hair, skin and blood after the kid's beaned himself and is about to drown in a puddle. :-(
And the bit where the kid's drowning in slurry. :-(

I remember one where a kid died after playing in a grain silo and had several dozen tons of grain dumped on him. It wasn't a big problem growing up in Croydon, of course, but it still got the message across.

Burney
05-22-2018, 11:42 AM
The Finishing Line scarred me. The made us watch this at school...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slJyhOEo-SY

Yeah, it was a bit conceptual that. Unless they were specifically warning people not to hold school sports days that involved the participants running across a high-speed train track, of course...

Sir C
05-22-2018, 11:43 AM

I seem to remember being repeated warned about the dangers of abandoned fridges. I never really encountered that many abandoned fridges, but clearly the warnings worked, since I didn't die in one.

IUFG
05-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Yeah, it was a bit conceptual that. Unless they were specifically warning people not to hold school sports days that involved the participants running across a high-speed train track, of course...

I bought this a few years ago. A nostalgic watch

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91c9C%2BYbEQL._SL1500_.jpg

I tell you what. I've never mixed my crossply and my radials since

Burney
05-22-2018, 11:47 AM
I seem to remember being repeated warned about the dangers of abandoned fridges. I never really encountered that many abandoned fridges, but clearly the warnings worked, since I didn't die in one.

Yeah. At no point did it occur to them to suggest to manufacturers that perhaps they could introduce a mechanism whereby someone stuck in an abandon fridge could get out, of course. Or, indeed, tell local authorities not to leave old fridges lying about.

Naaah, fvck it. Let's just terrify the kids instead.

It's rabies I remember. I was terrified of rabies as a kid and entirely certain that every foreign dog or cat was riddled with it.

You don't hear much about it these days, do you?

Burney
05-22-2018, 11:48 AM
I bought this a few years ago. A nostalgic watch

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91c9C%2BYbEQL._SL1500_.jpg

I tell you what. I've never mixed my crossply and my radials since

Is that Sir Jingle Jangle top right telling us to do our seatbelts up so we couldn't escape from his Rolls-Royce?

redgunamo
05-22-2018, 11:48 AM

HomosForLife, more like. Where I grew up, all that sort of thing was just known as "going out to play" :shrug:

Viva Prat Vegas
05-22-2018, 11:49 AM
IUFG "I bought this a few years ago. A nostalgic watch"

Good to see that even back then were couple of warnings to steer clear of Jimmy Saville

IUFG
05-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Yeah. At no point did it occur to them to suggest to manufacturers that perhaps they could introduce a mechanism whereby someone stuck in an abandon fridge could get out, of course. Or, indeed, tell local authorities not to leave old fridges lying about.

It's rabies I remember. I was terrified of rabies as a kid and entirely certain that every foreign dog or cat was riddled with it.

:hehe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmwBLln_VdM

IUFG
05-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Is that Sir Jingle Jangle top right telling us to do our seatbelts up so we couldn't escape from his Rolls-Royce?

Yep. Also Rolf. In a swimming pool. With kids :yikes:

Burney
05-22-2018, 11:50 AM
HomosForLife, more like. Where I grew up, all that sort of thing was just known as "going out to play" :shrug:

Well yes, of course. And splendid fun it was, too. Lots of potential for nasty death/life-changing injury, of course, but even so.

Sir C
05-22-2018, 11:51 AM

I was scared of rabies too - there was a B movie on the telly with a rabies theme that freaked me out.

Of course when, a couple of years ago, I petted a stray cat in Zanzibar and it scratched me, I should have gone for a course of rabies shots, but my memories from the film were that such injections went into the stomach and were terrifically painful, so I bottled it, preferring to die, hydrophobic and foaming at the mouth.

Viva Prat Vegas
05-22-2018, 11:51 AM
IUFG "I bought this a few years ago. A nostalgic watch"

6-Down appears to show our new Manager under the wheels of a car

Monty92
05-22-2018, 11:56 AM

How does this tally with the theory that the kids of yesteryear weren't indulged and mollycoddled like today's youth?

Burney
05-22-2018, 11:58 AM
I was scared of rabies too - there was a B movie on the telly with a rabies theme that freaked me out.

Of course when, a couple of years ago, I petted a stray cat in Zanzibar and it scratched me, I should have gone for a course of rabies shots, but my memories from the film were that such injections went into the stomach and were terrifically painful, so I bottled it, preferring to die, hydrophobic and foaming at the mouth.

That’s right. Huge needles straight into the solar plexus, wasn’t it? And you had to get them straight away. If symptoms had started to develop, you were royally fùcked.

I don’t blame you. I remember a programme where some bloke got it off of a fox and then gave it to his girlfriend with a love bite.

Sir C
05-22-2018, 11:58 AM
How does this tally with the theory that the kids of yesteryear weren't indulged and mollycoddled like today's youth?

It illustrates the point. The reason those films were required was that we were out there, playing in electricity substations and farmyards. It was fúcking carnage.

Sir C
05-22-2018, 12:00 PM
That’s right. Huge needles straight into the solar plexus, wasn’t it? And you had to get them straight away. If symptoms had started to develop, you were royally fùcked.

I don’t blame you. I remember a programme where some bloke got it off of a fox and then gave it to his girlfriend with a love bite.

:shudder: Yes, fúck all that. Tie me to a bed and let me die shrieking.

Burney
05-22-2018, 12:01 PM

We weren't mollycoddled, but we were bombarded by terrifying government propaganda to stop us taking risks. Then, when we grew up, we transmitted that terror to our kids.

PSRB
05-22-2018, 12:03 PM
It illustrates the point. The reason those films were required was that we were out there, playing in electricity substations and farmyards. It was fúcking carnage.

Kites and powerlines, gave up on kites after seeing that one. Proper terrifying.

Burney
05-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Kites and powerlines, gave up on kites after seeing that one. Proper terrifying.

To this day, I get the fear crossing railway lines - even when I know there's no electricity and that a train isn't going to come and cut my fvcking feet off.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
05-22-2018, 12:06 PM

Throwing bangers at your mates was great fun though. I can still remember my mate setting off a load in a phone box, not getting out in time, massive bang and him staggering out with his hands over his ears :hehe: His mum wasn't too happy though.

Monty92
05-22-2018, 12:07 PM
We weren't mollycoddled, but we were bombarded by terrifying government propaganda to stop us taking risks. Then, when we grew up, we transmitted that terror to our kids.

I think it's more to do with my own inherent personality than any outside influence, but I literally can't lose sight of my kids for more than 5 seconds without my heart starting to palpitate and images entering my head of me on the news sobbing while viewers at home mutter "he blatantly did it".

Burney
05-22-2018, 12:09 PM
Tie me to a bed and let me die shrieking.

Isn’t that one of your chat-up lines?

Sir C
05-22-2018, 12:10 PM
I think it's more to do with my own inherent personality than any outside influence, but I literally can't lose sight of my kids for more than 5 seconds without my heart starting to palpitate and images entering my head of me on the news sobbing while viewers at home mutter "he blatantly did it".

Remember all those things you said about poor Maddie? :-( Do you ever wake up in the night sweating with fear that karma might be a thing?

Pokster
05-22-2018, 12:11 PM
:shudder: Yes, fúck all that. Tie me to a bed and let me die shrieking.

You've just turned Herbs on

Monty92
05-22-2018, 12:12 PM
Remember all those things you said about poor Maddie? :-( Do you ever wake up in the night sweating with fear that karma might be a thing?

My efforts to mitigate against that involve speaking equally appallingly about my own children.

Sir C
05-22-2018, 12:16 PM
My efforts to mitigate against that involve speaking equally appallingly about my own children.

Well that's going to do fúck all.

God sees into your soul, m. He sees the blackness there and it pleaseth him not. He prepares a place of eternal torment especially for you, infinite years of the Devil himself raping you with hi9s enormous, forked devildick. Yea, thus was it written and thus shall it come to pass. Amen.

redgunamo
05-22-2018, 12:17 PM

Right. Parents deliberately stopped doing any actual parenting a long time ago, allowing the government to step into that breach. A mutually beneficial arrangement. Or a Catch-22, depending on your view.

7sisters
05-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Get a grip man.. One of the main reasons kids are terrified of spiders and bees is attributed to infant recall, growing up with poncey, flakey parents who leapt, screaming and flailing their arms at the first sight of one..

PSRB
05-22-2018, 12:27 PM
Throwing bangers at your mates was great fun though. I can still remember my mate setting off a load in a phone box, not getting out in time, massive bang and him staggering out with his hands over his ears :hehe: His mum wasn't too happy though.

Of course we now call those kids 'scrotes'

Monty92
05-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Right. Parents deliberately stopped doing any actual parenting a long time ago, allowing the government to step into that breach. A mutually beneficial arrangement. Or a Catch-22, depending on your view.

It's funny, my missus was complaining that the self-appointed functionaries who communicate between a school and its parents are always called Class Mums instead of Class Parents, thereby perpetuating gender stereotypes and discouraging women from pursuing more meaningful things such as a career.

The irony of this is of course that the implication is that being a Class Mum is somehow demeaning and not something to value, thereby perpetuating the very stereotypes they claim to be railing against.

Of course, their response to this will be that women who claim to enjoy playing stereotypical roles are simply suffering from false consciousness :rolleyes:

redgunamo
05-22-2018, 12:31 PM

Yes, that's why it's best to let dollies take charge of all that; they have the stronger stomachs. And anyway, if anything goes wrong, they sob more convincingly, and garner more sympathy, on the news than blokes.

Viva Prat Vegas
05-22-2018, 12:33 PM
Have you ever cried Red ?
(Apart from when HE left of course)

redgunamo
05-22-2018, 12:39 PM
It's funny, my missus was complaining that the self-appointed functionaries who communicate between a school and its parents are always called Class Mums instead of Class Parents, thereby perpetuating gender stereotypes and discouraging women from pursuing more meaningful things such as a career.

The irony of this is of course that the implication is that being a Class Mum is somehow demeaning and not something to value, thereby perpetuating the very stereotypes they claim to be railing against.

Of course, their response to this will be that women who claim to enjoy playing stereotypical roles are simply suffering from false consciousness :rolleyes:

Well, the whole scam is designed to allow women, mothers, off the hook, isn't it. Regarding raising children, I mean. Anything which allows them to feel less guilty about that is fair enough, so far as they are concerned.

Which is why I never get involved; I'm a father, not a parent.

Ash
05-22-2018, 02:16 PM

It was John and Tony Podesta. Deffo them in the police sketches. :nod: #PizzaGate

redgunamo
05-22-2018, 04:47 PM
It was John and Tony Podesta. Deffo them in the police sketches. :nod: #PizzaGate

Pop out for a few days and all hell appears to have broken loose in the swamp #ImpeachBHO