PDA

View Full Version : So a week tomorrow the sky falls on our head.

Ash
05-17-2018, 02:21 PM
If you don't know what I'm on about you either work in a corner shop or you're not prepared.

Burney
05-17-2018, 02:42 PM
If you don't know what I'm on about you either work in a corner shop or you're not prepared.

GDPR?

Big fuss about fùck all imo

Ash
05-17-2018, 02:47 PM
GDPR?

Big fuss about fùck all imo

Maybe not for you. It's a lot of work for others trying to conform to a contradictory, unrefined and never-ending law.

7sisters
05-17-2018, 02:52 PM
Maybe not for you. It's a lot of work for others trying to conform to a contradictory, unrefined and never-ending law.

Another fine example of EU legislation piling more admin misery on an already,admin choked up system.

Will it stop us being bombarded by overseas call centres and being constantly asked to review those fairly insignificant items we purchase ?

Ash
05-17-2018, 02:52 PM

I was being polite here, btw.

Burney
05-17-2018, 03:16 PM

Actualy, it’s pretty important for us,but happily we employ a cohort of detail monkeys for all that. We’ve been paying them coin for years to ensure we have no problem with this.

Billy Goat Sverige
05-17-2018, 03:41 PM

Been a pain in the arse for my girlfriend. She works for a telecoms company who offer paid IT support for their business customers. She’s got about 350 customers and she used to store their info in an excel file, now she’s had to transfer it all over to the internal system. Also slightly related is my local council have decided schools can no longer do school photos :hehe:

Ash
05-17-2018, 03:44 PM
Actualy, it’s pretty important for us,but happily we employ a cohort of detail monkeys for all that. We’ve been paying them coin for years to ensure we have no problem with this.

If something like this law had been introduced a few hundred years ago there'd be no history. Record-keeping is as old as civilisation and it is from those that we learn much of what happened in the past. Suddenly the very concept of keeping records is under question. Not that there aren't some sensible ideas about security and privacy in the legislation, but ultimately compliance with this thing is practically impossible.

I'm sure journalism has worked out how it intends to navigate it all but I am curious - If you print 'fact' A about citizen X, can X claim that you are not only keeping personal information without consent, but that you are publishing and selling it, and that is not even accurate data if they dispute the fact? You can claim public interest but will you win?

The requirements are vast, the obligations complex, yet vague and contradictory, the costs considerable, and the punishments are draconian if the powers-that be want to enforce them (the potential for corrupt political abuse is quite disturbing).

I could go on for hours and I probably will
but I'd sooner put some joy back in ...

etc

Tony C
05-17-2018, 03:54 PM
I was required to do a course on this and pass a test.

C**** made the pass mark 100%

Luckily I passed it first time unlike the Corporate Bribery one...kind of struggled on that one.

PSRB
05-17-2018, 04:07 PM

It was all going really well until we were told we had to clear our emails as well, over 40,000 of them :-\

IUFG
05-17-2018, 04:14 PM

GDPR can **** right off imo :mad:

Ash
05-17-2018, 04:21 PM
It was all going really well until we were told we had to clear our emails as well, over 40,000 of them :-\

Easier to hope that your email server isn't hacked, or just delete the feckin lot and keep an archive in a locked safe so you can restore when you need something.

Rich
05-17-2018, 04:41 PM

What's it all about, then? I keep getting emails which effectively say 'please let me continue to clog your email box with nonsense - you need to give me permission now.

Naturally I will not do this as I am sick with the amount of rubbish I receive which never, ever gets read.

Burney
05-17-2018, 05:03 PM
If something like this law had been introduced a few hundred years ago there'd be no history. Record-keeping is as old as civilisation and it is from those that we learn much of what happened in the past. Suddenly the very concept of keeping records is under question. Not that there aren't some sensible ideas about security and privacy in the legislation, but ultimately compliance with this thing is practically impossible.

I'm sure journalism has worked out how it intends to navigate it all but I am curious - If you print 'fact' A about citizen X, can X claim that you are not only keeping personal information without consent, but that you are publishing and selling it, and that is not even accurate data if they dispute the fact? You can claim public interest but will you win?

The requirements are vast, the obligations complex, yet vague and contradictory, the costs considerable, and the punishments are draconian if the powers-that be want to enforce them (the potential for corrupt political abuse is quite disturbing).

I could go on for hours and I probably will
but I'd sooner put some joy back in ...

etc

Ah, well the joy is that journalism remains protected by the laws theLords tried to destroy last week. GDPR is all about commercial info.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-17-2018, 07:02 PM

You just have to have a concrete plan for being compliant, don't you?.

I look forward to the day after I leave my job where I'll use GDPR to instruct my employer to collate all PI and SPI data and remove it from all internal systems within the appropriate timelines.

SWv2
05-18-2018, 08:03 AM
GDPR can **** right off imo :mad:

Sick to my back bollócks of it already, the number of external DPA I have been asked to fill in and now a stupid and perhaps unnecessary email project to provide people with a link to our new Privacy Policy and the obvious shítstorm from that.

Wenger out!

Pokster
05-18-2018, 08:04 AM

Under 7's President cup match and Under 8's end of season presentation???

SWv2
05-18-2018, 08:05 AM
You just have to have a concrete plan for being compliant, don't you?.

I look forward to the day after I leave my job where I'll use GDPR to instruct my employer to collate all PI and SPI data and remove it from all internal systems within the appropriate timelines.

So how will they pay you then?

:sherlock:

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
05-18-2018, 08:11 AM
So how will they pay you then?

I'll have left by then and all monies will have been paid. You only do this after you leave not during your notice period

SWv2
05-18-2018, 08:15 AM
I'll have left by then and all monies will have been paid. You only do this after you leave not during your notice period

Ah, I see. An important detail you did not include.

I would urge caution however. You go to your new position and for whatever reason it does not work out, your current CV has time assigned to your current employer whom you will be asking to delete all PD and indeed SPI quoting the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/67.

If a potential new employer looks into this your current employer will not be able to verify or confirm any details of your time there.

For all a prospective employer knows you could have been in jail.

IUFG
05-18-2018, 09:06 AM

And they'll say, :vsign: we need to keep your details for 6 years + to fulfill our statutory accounting requirements.

Pat Vegas
05-18-2018, 09:16 AM

It's quite a disaster. Does this mean if I receive emails from people after this date I can sue them

IUFG
05-18-2018, 09:24 AM
It's quite a disaster. Does this mean if I receive emails from people after this date I can sue them

No, but you can report them to the ICO should they continue to contact you after you've asked to be 'forgotten'

Pat Vegas
05-18-2018, 09:27 AM
No, but you can report them to the ICO should they continue to contact you after you've asked to be 'forgotten'

How will it effect credit reference agencies? I assume they are exempt

IUFG
05-18-2018, 09:29 AM

I con't know. I've never worked in that sector.

And I am far from an expert in all this the GDPR bóllocks

SWv2
05-18-2018, 09:31 AM

You could request information to deleted from the systems of Equifax or Experian for example but then it will mean next time you apply for or need credit you will be automatically declined.

Pat Vegas
05-18-2018, 09:31 AM
I con't know. I've never worked in that sector.

And I am far from an expert in all this the GDPR bóllocks

It's affect my job as I work in travel.
we used to hold the regular travelers info. not anymore

SWv2
05-18-2018, 09:33 AM

No.

Any time you received a marketing email you should be afforded a link to update your marketing preferences and also to unsubscribe from further emails. If you action these and continue to receive electronic communications then it becomes an issue but you will not be able to sue on a personal level.

A complaint could be made to your ICO who would deal with it at a corporate level.

Pat Vegas
05-18-2018, 10:11 AM
You could request information to deleted from the systems of Equifax or Experian for example but then it will mean next time you apply for or need credit you will be automatically declined.

What if I only want partial information taken off.
like my new mortgage :hehe:

Ash
05-18-2018, 01:16 PM
What if I only want partial information taken off.
like my new mortgage :hehe:

One of the problems will be the delugue of utter cùnts trying to screw people over by demanding that their debts and contracts are forgotten once they have recieved the goods and services. Ultimately they will not achieve anything other than to waste people's time and stick a dent in the overall economic productivity.

Ash
05-18-2018, 01:19 PM
A complaint could be made to your ICO who would deal with it at a corporate level.

Where it will join the queue of complaints that will go several times round the world. :hehe: I hope the boys and girls at the ICO have big in-trays.