PDA

View Full Version : Anyone who dislikes making mayonnaise. This method is literally,

Sir C
05-17-2018, 08:54 AM
and I literally mean literally, life changing. My life has been changed. Literally.

Just use a stick blender. All your concerns are gone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWbZzGQSgq0

Burney
05-17-2018, 08:58 AM
and I literally mean literally, life changing. My life has been changed. Literally.

Wow. For some reason I’ve always found mayo more difficult than other emulsions. Will deffo do this.
Does it have to be coconut oil, though?

7sisters
05-17-2018, 09:01 AM

This modern fascination with coconut oil is the work of deviants

Sir C
05-17-2018, 09:01 AM
Wow. For some reason I’ve always found mayo more difficult than other emulsions. Will deffo do this.
Does it have to be coconut oil, though?

Nope. I use one egg yolk, some mustard, salt, pepper, lemon juice, 200 ml vegetable oil, 50 ml olive oil. Bosh. Done in 30 seconds. The ingredients aren't important, just the method. Be sure that the stick goies right to the bottom and covers the egg yolk for the first ten seconds. And you need the tall, narrow jug to create the vortex. But it's so simple, so quick, and it never fails.

Sir C
05-17-2018, 09:02 AM
This modern fascination with coconut oil is the work of deviants

Ignore the ingredients. Use your own mayonnaise recipe. It's the method that makes the difference.

7sisters
05-17-2018, 09:06 AM
Nope. I use one egg yolk, some mustard, salt, pepper, lemon juice, 200 ml vegetable oil, 50 ml olive oil. Bosh. Done in 30 seconds. The ingredients aren't important, just the method. Be sure that the stick goies right to the bottom and covers the egg yolk for the first ten seconds. And you need the tall, narrow jug to create the vortex. But it's so simple, so quick, and it never fails.

I'm tempted to try this with the nutribullet. It also blends from the bottom but it could fail as the stick blender smothers the egg.

Sir C
05-17-2018, 09:08 AM
I'm tempted to try this with the nutribullet. It also blends from the bottom but it could fail as the stick blender smothers the egg.

You're not going to get the vortex effect with the nutribullet imo. The jug needs to be narrow.

SWv2
05-17-2018, 10:05 AM

I thought olive oil was a very strict no-no.

Note I have never made mayonaisse.

Sir C
05-17-2018, 10:07 AM
I thought olive oil was a very strict no-no.

Note I have never made mayonaisse.

It's too strongly flavoured to use as the main oil, but add something extra if you use a bit.

SWv2
05-17-2018, 10:12 AM
It's too strongly flavoured to use as the main oil, but add something extra if you use a bit.

And to get to the basics what sort of shelf life are we dealing with here?

Seems a bit of a palaver to go through if for example you are simply making a sandwich for a lunchtime snack on a Saturday, tuna for example, or perhaps ham and cheese.

One may not have any plans for another repast that involves the egg based condiment so what to do.

Chuck it?

Sir C
05-17-2018, 10:15 AM
And to get to the basics what sort of shelf life are we dealing with here?

Seems a bit of a palaver to go through if for example you are simply making a sandwich for a lunchtime snack on a Saturday, tuna for example, or perhaps ham and cheese.

One may not have any plans for another repast that involves the egg based condiment so what to do.

Chuck it?

Yes, one wouldn't want to make a batch just for a sandwich, but if you're having a piece of poached salmon, or making potato salad or coleslaw, there's nothing that matches proper mayonnaise. Fridge life is probably only a couple of days so you just make as much as you need.

It literally takes 30 seconds.

SWv2
05-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Yes, one wouldn't want to make a batch just for a sandwich, but if you're having a piece of poached salmon, or making potato salad or coleslaw, there's nothing that matches proper mayonnaise. Fridge life is probably only a couple of days so you just make as much as you need.

It literally takes 30 seconds.

Well I don't eat salmon because it is fúcking rank and I would suggest you keep this in mind for any future discourse we engage in.