PDA

View Full Version : Wenger Outers. Will you still be glad he's gone if we get Arteta?

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
05-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Genuine question.

I'm not trying to start a fight or prove a point.

If this had been 3/4 years ago and we were getting Klopp, fine, Cheerio AW.

But Arteta?

I'd have kept AW for one more year on the condition he used a defensive coach (as he apparently used Keown in 2004).

This team isn't that far away. Yup, more by luck than judgement (Auba and Laca complementing each other, swapping Alexis for Mhikky etc). So maybe Arteta will do.

Peter
05-16-2018, 12:15 PM
Genuine question.

But Arteta?

I'd have kept AW for one more year on the condition he used a defensive coach (as he apparently used Keown in 2004).

This team isn't that far away. Yup, more by luck than judgement (Auba and Laca complementing each other, swapping Alexis for Mhikky etc). So maybe Arteta will do.

Lets say you go a restaurant, order something, and it isnt that great.

If you went back to the restaurant, would you order the same thing again or try something else?

I think everyone fully appreciates that we could be worse next season. We would have to be seriously ****ing awful to do much worse than 7th or 8th but it may happen. THat isnt really an argument for saying that Wenger should have stayed.

It wasnt working and it was getting worse. If our board and other staff cant appoint the right manager then that is a separate problem. It doesnt make Wenger any better or worse as a manager.

Rich
05-16-2018, 12:22 PM
Lets say you go a restaurant, order something, and it isnt that great.

If you went back to the restaurant, would you order the same thing again or try something else?

I think everyone fully appreciates that we could be worse next season. We would have to be seriously ****ing awful to do much worse than 7th or 8th but it may happen. THat isnt really an argument for saying that Wenger should have stayed.

It wasnt working and it was getting worse. If our board and other staff cant appoint the right manager then that is a separate problem. It doesnt make Wenger any better or worse as a manager.

Arteta will not be Arsenal manager this time next year. Mark these words.

Peter
05-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Arteta will not be Arsenal manager this time next year. Mark these words.

Consider them marked- unlike anyone when we defend a corner :)

7sisters
05-16-2018, 12:40 PM
I’m sure people were looking for a marquee manager but these types won’t come without significant funds and a realistic possibility to overhaul Citeh and others with bottomless pockets. Enrique obviously overlooked the script.. I suppose the feeling was to put the club on a fresh footing with a progressive young coach..

Pokster
05-16-2018, 12:51 PM
I’m sure people were looking for a marquee manager but these types won’t come without significant funds and a realistic possibility to overhaul Citeh and others with bottomless pockets. Enrique obviously overlooked the script.. I suppose the feeling was to put the club on a fresh footing with a progressive young coach..

If we wanted an experienced coach we could have just stuck with AW, so Arteta isn't competely leftfield, will work better with our new management structure unlike others who would want more control.... once others had counted themselves out we either had Arteta (or other inexperienced) or Ancelotti

SWv2
05-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Genuine question.

But Arteta?

Yes.

Personally I find the whole thing quite exciting. Arteta is clearly a managerial novice but one would suspect he knows and understands the game of football.

Peter
05-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Yes.

Personally I find the whole thing quite exciting. Arteta is clearly a managerial novice but one would suspect he knows and understands the game of football.

He was certainly a very intelligent player. And he does seem like a nice chap.

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:05 PM
Yes.

Exciting? You've lost the run of yourself. The appointment of a football manager isn't exciting to a grown up.*

*I don't believe that to be true but it's what you'd have said to me if I'd said it was exciting, so I'm saying it to you. A sort of pre-emptive strike.

**Actually exciting is a bit of a silly word to use.

***Because we are grown ups and it's only football.

SWv2
05-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Exciting? You've lost the run of yourself. The appointment of a football manager isn't exciting to a grown up.*

*I don't believe that to be true but it's what you'd have said to me if I'd said it was exciting, so I'm saying it to you. A sort of pre-emptive strike.

**Actually exciting is a bit of a silly word to use.

***Because we are grown ups and it's only football.

Yes, exciting, or if not exciting then certainly not something to be in fear of.

New coach, new ideas, let’s see how things pan out.

He has the bones of a very good team in 5-6 players so with a few new players and perhaps more tactical instruction, or perhaps discipline instead of instruction, we might see a bright future.

World's End Stella
05-16-2018, 01:18 PM
Yes, exciting, or if not exciting then certainly not something to be in fear of.

He has the bones of a very good team in 5-6 players so with a few new players and perhaps more tactical instruction, or perhaps discipline instead of instruction, we might see a bright future.

Genuine question - you think that if Arteta tries to implement the Pep style of play that it will suit our favourite Welsher?

Personally, I can't think of a player less suited to it. You need to be positionally aware in Pep's system (not just endlessly running forward) and possession is king, those who regularly give it away under pressure soon find themselves seated.

Not to say that he can't be taught to play that way, but it will certainly require a change from how he plays now, yes?

7sisters
05-16-2018, 01:19 PM

A bright future .. That there is a statement we’ve long since forgotten and speaking as a dribbling spastic, I found myself in brief moments of joy at the concept of Sean Dyche, Ronald Koeman and even Google Withers taking over the reins.. Such were the ends which Wengers continuation had effected upon my soul...22 years FFS

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:22 PM
A bright future .. That there is a statement we’ve long since forgotten and speaking as a dribbling spastic, I found myself in brief moments of joy at the concept of Sean Dyche, Ronald Koeman and even Google Withers taking over the reins.. Such were the ends which Wengers continuation had effected upon my soul...22 years FFS

:hehe: One of the best things Arsene managed to do was mess with the head of a certain type of individual. It's amazing to me that the genial Frenchman was able to drive the less cerebrally blessed to the verge of requiring therapy just be doing his job incredibly well. :hehe:

Pokster
05-16-2018, 01:23 PM
Genuine question - you think that if Arteta tries to implement the Pep style of play that it will suit our favourite Welsher?

Personally, I can't think of a player less suited to it. You need to be positionally aware in Pep's system (not just endlessly running forward) and possession is king, those who regularly give it away under pressure soon find themselves seated.

Not to say that he can't be taught to play that way, but it will certainly require a change from how he plays now, yes?

He played the way AW wanted him to play, we have established this many times, it wasn't as if he was told to do something and did somthing complately different..... the crap Welsher had a hand in more goals last season than our £350k a week German

World's End Stella
05-16-2018, 01:27 PM
:hehe: One of the best things Arsene managed to do was mess with the head of a certain type of individual. It's amazing to me that the genial Frenchman was able to drive the less cerebrally blessed to the verge of requiring therapy just be doing his job incredibly well. :hehe:

Now, now Charles - play nicely.

Wenger drove a great many people to the verge of requiring therapy by doing his job poorly, the same way, over and over again, for about 8 years.

Everyone loved him in 2006, Charles.

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:29 PM
Now, now Charles - play nicely.

Wenger drove a great many people to the verge of requiring therapy by doing his job poorly, the same way, over and over again, for about 8 years.

Everyone loved him in 2006, Charles.

No further questions, your honour.

7sisters
05-16-2018, 01:37 PM

Ah, but you see, more active and progressive types are less inclined towards maintaining the status quo. One needs occasionally to challenge the accepted wisdom, especially when it’s predicated on the basis of, well, ‘thats how we’ve always done things around here ‘ This isn’t some type of knee jerk fandom but a recognition for change.. One of the reasons why women walk out on a marriage after 15 years, leaving some poor disillusioned soul into wondering why 😀

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:42 PM
Ah, but you see, more active and progressive types are less inclined towards maintaining the status quo. One needs occasionally to challenge the accepted wisdom, especially when it’s predicated on the basis of, well, ‘thats how we’ve always done things around here ‘ This isn’t some type of knee jerk fandom but a recognition for change.. One of the reasons why women walk out on a marriage after 15 years, leaving some poor disillusioned soul into wondering why 😀

Oddly, I thought of exactly this prallel the other week. I remember my wife telling me bitterly that I had reduced us to a statistic... :-( And The Arsenal is now just the same as any other shoddy outfit, a West Ham or Everton, having relegated Arsene to just a statistic. Just another managerial caualty. Just another (once great) football club. :-(

World's End Stella
05-16-2018, 01:43 PM
No further questions, your honour.

You're on thin ice here, Charles. For years people like you and Monty assured those who questioned Wenger that he would turn it around, that we were having a temporary blip that would disappear due to his genius and we would return to the glory years.

Subsequent events have proven this to have been utterly incorrect and that those questioning his performance were actually spot on.

I'd suggest that this might not be the time for *you* to be questioning *their* understanding of the game.

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:44 PM
You're on thin ice here, Charles. For years people like you and Monty assured those who questioned Wenger that he would turn it around, that we were having a temporary blip that would disappear due to his genius and we would return to the glory years.

Subsequent events have proven this to have been utterly incorrect and that those questioning his performance were actually spot on.

I'd suggest that this might not be the time for *you* to be questioning *their* understanding of the game.

I never said any such thing. :shrug:

World's End Stella
05-16-2018, 01:49 PM
I never said any such thing. :shrug:

Yeah you did. But it was your pre mid life crisis, health conscious phase when you were drinking, smoking and consuming drugs at a phenomenal rate so we'll forgive your lack of recall.

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:52 PM
Yeah you did. But it was your pre mid life crisis, health conscious phase when you were drinking, smoking and consuming drugs at a phenomenal rate so we'll forgive your lack of recall.

I never said we would return to the glory days under Wenger; I don't believe such days are available to anyone without the financial clout of Chelsea and the Manchester clubs. The odd fluke like Leicester winnig the title of Liverpool reaching a CL final doesn't change that.

I always said we'd be OK. I always said we'd be there or thereabouts. And we have been. 20 years of CL qualification. 3 FA cups in 4 years. A second place finish a couple of years ago. We've been there or thereabouts as promised. :shrug:

Yesterday Once More
05-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Genuine question.

But Arteta?

Two wrongs don't make a right. Getting Arteta in because we are in too weak a position now to attract one of the elite managers does not vindicate keeping Wenger on any longer. This team is light years away - goalkeeper, the entire defence and the defensive midfield options are not even close to good enough.

Rich
05-16-2018, 03:44 PM

He's going to try and make us City but without the required calibre of player.

Tony C
05-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Both Nelson Vivas and Giovanni Van Bronkhorst have far more managerial experience than Arteta.

I would finish that with an imo but it’s the cold hard indisputable fact.

Nelson would be interesting given the huge success of ex Argentinan players from that time period in European management.

Incredible gamble from Ivan given someone like Ancellotti didn’t even get a look.

I should just mention Vieira who seems a bit upset...I could never tell with him. Down the years he’s always been one to say one thing to the press, say something else to us and do something completely different in the pitch so it’s probably bs that he’s upset.

SWv2
05-16-2018, 04:23 PM
He's going to try and make us City but without the required calibre of player.

Very negative approach there Dick.

Wexiteer
05-17-2018, 05:52 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right. Getting Arteta in because we are in too weak a position now to attract one of the elite managers does not vindicate keeping Wenger on any longer. This team is light years away - goalkeeper, the entire defence and the defensive midfield options are not even close to good enough.

Lol. You got what you fůcking wanted and still you whine. Worse than my 3 yr old.

IUFG
05-17-2018, 08:13 AM
Lol. You got what you fůcking wanted and still you whine. Worse than my 3 yr old.

What a well balanced and thought through comment, w.

Welcome, you're obviously a massive ****, so you'll fit right in here :thumbup:

Sir C
05-17-2018, 08:15 AM

This is quality work, w, especially given the earliness of the hour.

Rich
05-17-2018, 08:17 AM

Welcome aboard, W.

eastgermanautos
05-17-2018, 08:19 AM
Genuine question.

But Arteta?

mrmfklrmflrkafm

Billy Goat Sverige
05-17-2018, 08:24 AM

Ramsey will be sold so no point worrying about it.

World's End Stella
05-17-2018, 08:44 AM

:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Rich
05-17-2018, 09:05 AM

This is most disappointing. I think he's been our best player since Christmas.

World's End Stella
05-17-2018, 10:11 AM
This is most disappointing. I think he's been our best player since Christmas.

Thanks Rich. I shall keep a link to this post for the next time someone tries to defend the useless Welsh c*nt