PDA

View Full Version : So Charles - did you manage to consume all of it?

World's End Stella
05-16-2018, 11:30 AM
Including the béarnaise and chips? And did you feel worse for it?

I had a very pleasant lamb kofta at a local pub. Would have been perfection if there was one more piece of lamb and those pickled chilli things which I find are a must when eating any form of lamb kebab.

What did you have for dinner last night AWIMB?

Monty92
05-16-2018, 11:42 AM

I had a very pleasant lamb kofta at a local pub. Would have been perfection if there was one more piece of lamb and those pickled chilli things which I find are a must when eating any form of lamb kebab.

Last night I had leftover meat loaf with chips and brocolli.

Tonight I'm going here and I can't make up my mind what to have. Can you basically decide for me? Thanks in advance,

http://www.pittcue.co.uk/user/pages/02.menus/PC-lunch.pdf

World's End Stella
05-16-2018, 11:45 AM

Tonight I'm going here and I can't make up my mind what to have. Can you basically decide for me? Thanks in advance,

Caramel Ribs to start
Beef neck with bone marrow mash and cheddar cauliflower on the side

IUFG
05-16-2018, 12:01 PM

I had a chicken madras, chilli rice and a couple of poppadoms.

This was my third curry of the week. That'll learn someone to leave the freezer door ajar overnight at the weekend.
Drink may have been taken.

Ash
05-16-2018, 12:05 PM
Duck.

And beer, obv.

Monty92
05-16-2018, 12:09 PM
I had a chicken madras, chilli rice and a couple of poppadoms.

This was my third curry of the week. That'll learn someone to leave the freezer door ajar overnight at the weekend.
Drink may have been taken.

Surely stuff stays cold enough overnight to just refreeze it?

IUFG
05-16-2018, 12:15 PM
Surely stuff stays cold enough overnight to just refreeze it?

Twas the freezer in the garage. It was a good 24 hours open. (Luckily the beer in the fridge side was still cold).

Only things in the freezer were curries from the local restaurant some ice cream and ice cubes.

Seemed a good excuse to have high quality curries for almost every meal this week :eat:

Sir C
05-16-2018, 12:25 PM

Yep. The whole, darned thing. Couldn't be bothered with the bearnaise; instead I caramelised a load of onions and added plenty cheese, which mixture I laid 'pon the chips before grilling the mess to melty, ceesey, oniony goodness.

I had to go to bed at 9:30 :-(

Burney
05-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Twas the freezer in the garage. It was a good 24 hours open. (Luckily the beer in the fridge side was still cold).

Only things in the freezer were curries from the local restaurant some ice cream and ice cubes.

Seemed a good excuse to have high quality curries for almost every meal this week :eat:

Hang on. Have I misunderstood something? Are you saying you buy takeaway curry and then freeze it?

Because if that is the case, that’s weird.

Burney
05-16-2018, 01:13 PM

Meatloaf recipe?

I use this one and have never had better

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tuscan_meatloaf_with_mushroom_sauce/

IUFG
05-16-2018, 01:14 PM
Hang on. Have I misunderstood something? Are you saying you buy takeaway curry and then freeze it?

Because if that is the case, that’s weird.

If a get a curry delivered, I will order half a dozen extra extra to have at my convenience.

I live out in the sticks, the 'local' restaurant is miles away and charges for delivery and takes about two hours to arrive.

not weird.

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:15 PM
Meatloaf recipe?

I use this one and have never had better

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tuscan_meatloaf_with_mushroom_sauce/

Meatloaf? That's sort of compressed mince, isn't it?

Weird.

Burney
05-16-2018, 01:17 PM

Weird.

Yes. Much like a hamburger or a meatball.

Not weird.

Burney
05-16-2018, 01:19 PM
If a get a curry delivered, I will order half a dozen extra extra to have at my convenience.

I live out in the sticks, the 'local' restaurant is miles away and charges for delivery and takes about two hours to arrive.

not weird.

Hmmmm. I’m still on the fence as to whether it’s weird, tbh.

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Yes. Much like a hamburger or a meatball.

Not weird.

Hamburgers and meatballs are a manageable size and a distinctive mincular product.

Meatloaf is mince masquerading as a steak, cutlet or chop.

Weird.

World's End Stella
05-16-2018, 01:23 PM

Weird.

Worse - you mix mince with breadcrumbs and bake it. :puke:

Burney
05-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Hamburgers and meatballs are a manageable size and a distinctive mincular product.

Meatloaf is mince masquerading as a steak, cutlet or chop.

Weird.

A slice of meatloaf is around the same size as a decent-sized hamburger. Indeed, I’ve been known to stick it in a bun with some sauce and cheese and serve it thusly.

Pokster
05-16-2018, 01:25 PM
A slice of meatloaf is around the same size as a decent-sized hamburger. Indeed, I’ve been known to stick it in a bun with some sauce and cheese and serve it thusly.

And you think that makes it OK??? I don't comment on food threads normally, but meatloaf is weird

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Why would you fúck about with a burger?

Burney
05-16-2018, 01:26 PM

Bake? Maybe in your barbarian homelands, but this recipe is braised in the sauce of porcini, tomatoes, wine and porcini steeping liquor. It is quite delicious.

Burney
05-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Why would you fúck about with a burger?

I’m not. I’m making a meatloaf sandwich.

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:27 PM
And you think that makes it OK??? I don't comment on food threads normally, but meatloaf is weird

Why don't you comment on food threads then? Do you think you're somehow above the vulgarity of food? Are you better than the rest of us in some way in the matter of comestibles? Have you found a way to live without engaging in the dreadfully boring business of eating?

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:28 PM

There's worse things in life than a handful of breadcrumbs.

I add breadcrumbs to forcemeat.

Deal with it.

World's End Stella
05-16-2018, 01:30 PM
Bake? Maybe in your barbarian homelands, but this game recipe is braised in the sauce of porcini, tomatoes, wine and porcini steeping liquor. It is quite delicious.

You braise mince which has been mixed with breadcrumbs? Or mince on its own?

Both sound vile. As is traditional meatloaf, which is baked. I'm assuming the traditional meatloaf is the Yankee one as as far as I know, no one else eats it. :shrug:

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:31 PM
I’m not. I’m making a meatloaf sandwich.

It's a compressed mince sandwich.

Pokster
05-16-2018, 01:33 PM
Why don't you comment on food threads then? Do you think you're somehow above the vulgarity of food? Are you better than the rest of us in some way in the matter of comestibles? Have you found a way to live without engaging in the dreadfully boring business of eating?

I don't comment because I'm not really a food buff' i'm not into cooking so don't feel as though it is my place to comment on a subject i am not an expert... now if only WES had the same thoughts about football

Burney
You braise mince which has been mixed with breadcrumbs? Or mince on its own?

Both sound vile. As is traditional meatloaf, which is baked. I'm assuming the traditional meatloaf is the Yankee one as as far as I know, no one else eats it. :shrug:

Well since this is a traditional Tuscan recipe, I’m going to say you’re wrong there.

Burney
It's a compressed mince sandwich.

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:35 PM
You say that like it’s a bad thing.

You told me once that an accident roll was bad, being mince in a bun. NOW you reckon mince in a sandwich is God's gift to the alimentary passages :shrug:

World's End Stella
05-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Well since this is a traditional Tuscan recipe, I’m going to say you’re wrong there.

Well you learn something new every day. Italians make meat loaf. Well, that's Italian food down one notch on the WES rankings.

So what is this Tuscan recipe, braised mince or braised mince with breadcrumbs? And why braise mince? Surely it would be far nicer to braise chunks of the meat used to make mince and let them break apart beautifully with time? I can't imagine why anyone would mince it prior to braising it. :shrug:

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:37 PM
I don't comment because I'm not really a food buff' i'm not into cooking so don't feel as though it is my place to comment on a subject i am not an expert... now if only WES had the same thoughts about football

But you're perfectly qualified to comment on food. You really mustn't be overawed by Berni's bizarre attitude to mince.

Mrs p is of a foreign, dare I say froggish nature, n'est ce pas? Does she prepare you les repas gastronomique?

Pokster
05-16-2018, 01:38 PM
But you're perfectly qualified to comment on food. You really mustn't be overawed by Berni's bizarre attitude to mince.

Mrs p is of a foreign, dare I say froggish nature, n'est ce pas? Does she prepare you les repas gastronomique?

She normally has to prepare a couple of different meals, one that teh kids will eat and something nice for us grown ups. She is a fine cook and so i am not allowed otr do much cooking unless it is a BBQ as that is a mans domain

Sir C
05-16-2018, 01:43 PM
She normally has to prepare a couple of different meals, one that teh kids will eat and something nice for us grown ups. She is a fine cook and so i am not allowed otr do much cooking unless it is a BBQ as that is a mans domain

Well there you are then. You wouldn't eat a mince sandwich, would you? And quite rightly so.

Pokster
05-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Well there you are then. You wouldn't eat a mince sandwich, would you? And quite rightly so.

By god , of course not, I'm not Canadian

Burney
05-16-2018, 02:05 PM
You told me once that an accident roll was bad, being mince in a bun. NOW you reckon mince in a sandwich is God's gift to the alimentary passages :shrug:

That mince was raw due to the foul habits of the Dutch. Quite different.

Burney
05-16-2018, 02:09 PM
Well you learn something new every day. Italians make meat loaf. Well, that's Italian food down one notch on the WES rankings.

So what is this Tuscan recipe, braised mince or braised mince with breadcrumbs? And why braise mince? Surely it would be far nicer to braise chunks of the meat used to make mince and let them break apart beautifully with time? I can't imagine why anyone would mince it prior to braising it. :shrug:

Because it makes an entirely different - and quite delicious - dish :shrug:

You might as well ask why people bother with hamburger when they could have steak sandwiches instead.

World's End Stella
05-16-2018, 02:21 PM

You might as well ask why people bother with hamburger when they could have steak sandwiches instead.

People choose hamburger over steak for sandwiches because mincing the meat causes it to break apart more easily when you bite into it. People don't want to chew through a chunk of steak when eating a hamburger.

People use mince in pasta sauces for a not dissimilar reason; you can make the sauce and then easily add the meat which, because it has been minced, breaks into small pieces and becomes part of the sauce, no lumps of meat to chew through.

Mincing it and then braising it makes no sense as the meat will break apart quickly and therefore not absorb the flavours which are part of the braising liquid, which is one of the two reasons you braise it in the first place (the other being that braising causes the fibers in the meat to break down and you get lovely soft, unctuous pieces of meat filled with the flavor of the braising liquid).

Nope, it's just wrong, sorry.

World's End Stella
05-16-2018, 02:23 PM

Oh and just to be clear, you don't add breadcrumbs to the meat before braising, right? That would be especially insane. :nod: