PDA

View Full Version : Apparently Ivan wants Arteta, Raul wants Enrique and Sven wants Naglesmann

Just Trent
04-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Rock-Paper-Scissors ?

And why does nobody want Mickey Pearce?

Sir C
04-24-2018, 12:17 PM
Rock-Paper-Scissors ?

I suppose it's too late for Cruyff?

How about a de Boer? Some Dutchman, anyway. You can't go wrong with footballing Dutchmen.

Rich
04-24-2018, 12:18 PM

How about a de Boer? Some Dutchman, anyway. You can't go wrong with footballing Dutchmen.

You don't fancy giving Denis a shot?

Sir C
04-24-2018, 12:22 PM
You don't fancy giving Denis a shot?

No, nor Dennis.

1. He got the boot from Ajax for being a bit shít.
2. He won't get on an aeroplane.
3. He's not particularly bright.

redgunamo
04-24-2018, 12:24 PM

Yes. Dutch managers are perhaps too good for us. Perhaps too good for English football generally.

Just Trent
04-24-2018, 12:24 PM

Cruyff was in the running to replace Graham in 95. Then suddenly it was Bobby Robson 'in talks'. Then Bruce Rioch turned up :-\

Rich
04-24-2018, 12:25 PM
Rock-Paper-Scissors ?

As all the others report to Ivan, I would imagine that Ivan will get his way.

That being said, Ivan is not a footballing man whereas the others are. So there is hope.

Arteta has advantages, though - He'll be cheaper (more money for playing squad), he would be very keen to make an impression given it would be his first job as a football manager, he is highly thought of at City & I read that he's been earmarked to takeover from Pep, he would play football the Arsenal way whereas Enrique would not (I cannot speak for the German).

Sir C
04-24-2018, 12:36 PM
Cruyff was in the running to replace Graham in 95. Then suddenly it was Bobby Robson 'in talks'. Then Bruce Rioch turned up :-\

Yes, I got so excited about those Cruyff rumours :-(

Luis Anaconda
04-24-2018, 12:36 PM

That being said, Ivan is not a footballing man whereas the others are. So there is hope.

Arteta has advantages, though - He'll be cheaper (more money for playing squad), he would be very keen to make an impression given it would be his first job as a football manager, he is highly thought of at City & I read that he's been earmarked to takeover from Pep, he would play football the Arsenal way whereas Enrique would not (I cannot speak for the German).

Rich - could you give me a quick breakdown on why Ivan is not a football man and the other two are - thanks in advance

Just Trent
04-24-2018, 12:47 PM

That being said, Ivan is not a footballing man whereas the others are. So there is hope .

I thought the point of a sporting director was to advise the CEO and board on footballing decisions? Is Arteta able to handle the size of the job yet? It's one hell of a weight for anyone to take on. I don't have a problem with Enrique's style of play. It's attacking, just more of a mix. I don't want us to get too obsessed with trying to play 'the Arsenal way' either. The whole point of Wenger going is that our style of play hasn't worked often enough.

Luis Anaconda
04-24-2018, 12:49 PM
I thought the point of a sporting director was to advise the CEO and board on footballing decisions? Is Arteta able to handle the size of the job yet? It's one hell of weight for anyone to take on. I don't have a problem with Enrique's style of play. It's attacking, just more of a mix. I don't want us to get too obsessed with trying to play 'the Arsenal way' either. The whole point of Wenger going is that our style of play hasn't worked often enough.
I think Raul will have the final word (or biggest say) for the very reasons you mention - he will also be given the title of Director of Football once Arsene goes

SWv2
04-24-2018, 12:53 PM

Strootman tonight Sir C. His time has come.

Sir C
04-24-2018, 12:53 PM
I think Raul will have the final word (or biggest say) for the very reasons you mention - he will also be given the title of Director of Football once Arsene goes

Fúcking hell, it's still really shocking when you're confronted by it. It's like the weeks after your dad dies, every so often you consciously remember and it's a shock again. :-(

Just Trent
04-24-2018, 12:55 PM
Yes, I got so excited about those Cruyff rumours :-(

I thought he was coming, and bringing some of those wonderful Ajax players ( Seedorf, Davids etc..) with him. Still, we did get Bergkamp a few weeks later.

SWv2
04-24-2018, 12:56 PM

I would expect none of them to get their way what with it being a decision to be arrived at between the 3 of them. However if any party was to get their way I would expect it to be the Spanish.

Just Trent
04-24-2018, 01:07 PM

Little job for Mickey Pearce there. Changing the lettering on Raul's office door.

redgunamo
04-24-2018, 01:11 PM

It's possible that Mikel might just have that "magic", I suppose, but then so might Steve Bould (what of Wenger's coaching staff; are they off too?) And Enrique may bring Lionel Messi with him, which would be a good thing, I think we can all agree.

Personally, I feel there are probably quite enough Luises about the place already, what with you and ben Monty. Ditto: Germans. Natürlich nicht böse gemeint.

Burney
04-24-2018, 01:12 PM
I thought the point of a sporting director was to advise the CEO and board on footballing decisions? Is Arteta able to handle the size of the job yet? It's one hell of a weight for anyone to take on. I don't have a problem with Enrique's style of play. It's attacking, just more of a mix. I don't want us to get too obsessed with trying to play 'the Arsenal way' either. The whole point of Wenger going is that our style of play hasn't worked often enough.

Maybe it's old-fashioned of me, but I would like an ex-Arsenal man, tbh.

I know AW had no connection to the club as such, but he was called Arsene, which I always felt counted for something.

Burney
04-24-2018, 01:16 PM
It's possible that Mikel might just have that "magic", I suppose, but then so might Steve Bould (what of Wenger's coaching staff; are they off too?) And Enrique may bring Lionel Messi with him, which would be a good thing, I think we can all agree.

Personally, I feel there are probably quite enough Luises about the place already, what with you and ben Monty. Ditto: Germans. Natürlich nicht böse gemeint.

What of Vic Akers? A man who is cringeworthily described on the website as having 'red and white coursing through his veins' - which seems to me to ignore the fact that everyone has red and white coursing through their veins. :-\

World's End Stella
04-24-2018, 01:19 PM
I thought the point of a sporting director was to advise the CEO and board on footballing decisions? Is Arteta able to handle the size of the job yet? It's one hell of weight for anyone to take on. I don't have a problem with Enrique's style of play. It's attacking, just more of a mix. I don't want us to get too obsessed with trying to play 'the Arsenal way' either. The whole point of Wenger going is that our style of play hasn't worked often enough.

I thought one of the journo chaps on Sunday Supplement made quite a good point re who we appoint next. It was more or less that there is no obvious choice at this point i.e. a Klopp, Pochettino or Pep, so rather than reach for a young manager who might fail badly (which would be a disaster after letting Wenger go) the club should appoint someone they see as being able to take the club forward for the next 2-3 years as they look for a long term solution.

That sort of feels like Ancelotti or Enrique - neither of whom I can see being here 10 years from now

IUFG
04-24-2018, 01:21 PM
(what of Wenger's coaching staff; are they off too?).

It may well be Boro's fault all along...

MickeyPearce
04-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Rock-Paper-Scissors ?

--

Got a call at 2AM last Monday from Ivan asking me check in with Raul and Sven first thing in the morning.

Thought I was going to get my P45 but they wanted me to organise Arsene's Surprise Going Away party.

That was the first I was told he was leaving :(

They gave me a budget of £100k plus which is to cover the event and a gift.

Also got to go around like a sap asking people to sign his card :shrug: Jesus Christ....I hate this bit.

Not sure what to get him for a gift....might get him a nice watch. Got it down to a Rolex Milgaus, a Jaeger Le Colture Master Ultra Thin Annual Perpertual Calender or the Omega Speedmaster Man on the Moon...he's into his space stuff so maybe something like that with a nice engraving on the back.

Anyone know anything about Cakes? I was going to bake my own but can't be ar sed. Plus I need to do a special one just to placate Hector and his vegan / gluten free diet he's been doing.

Kind Regards

Your Best Mate

Mickey Pearce

PS - All I know is Ancelloti is off the list because he was being a little too pushy...mo fo even started whats apping me so he could get an interview.

AFC East
04-24-2018, 01:23 PM

Maccabi Tel Aviv might have something to say about that!*

* answer involved google.

Sir C
04-24-2018, 01:26 PM
Maccabi Tel Aviv might have something to say about that!*

* answer involved google.

Is this Jordi?

Funny how he ended up a shadow of his father.

redgunamo
04-24-2018, 01:27 PM
I thought one of the journo chaps on Sunday Supplement made quite a good point re who we appoint next. It was more or less that there is no obvious choice at this point i.e. a Klopp, Pochettino or Pep, so rather than reach for a young manager who might fail badly (which would be a disaster after letting Wenger go) the club should appoint someone they see as being able to take the club forward for the next 2-3 years as they look for a long term solution.

That sort of feels like Ancelotti or Enrique - neither of whom I can see being here 10 years from now

No manager we appoint is going to be here in ten years time, I think. We didn't give Wenger a twenty year contract at the start, did we. He had to earn it, and also want it. But He also has a certain work ethic that doesn't really exist anymore.

Luis Anaconda
04-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Fúcking hell, it's still really shocking when you're confronted by it. It's like the weeks after your dad dies, every so often you consciously remember and it's a shock again. :-(

Weeks? Still can shock me after the best part of 33 years. This could be the same

Billy Goat Sverige
04-24-2018, 01:28 PM

Enrique had Barca playing wonderful counter-attacking football which was the Arsenal way for about 60% of Arsene’s reign, you arsewipe.

World's End Stella
04-24-2018, 01:34 PM
No manager we appoint is going to be here in ten years time, I think. We didn't give Wenger a twenty year contract at the start, did we. He had to earn it, and also want it. But He also has a certain work ethic that doesn't really exist anymore.

I think you're right. But I'd like us to appoint someone - at some point - that we think might.

If you see what I mean.

Burney
04-24-2018, 01:37 PM
I think you're right. But I'd like us to appoint someone - at some point - that we think might.

If you see what I mean.

George Graham's still got a few good years left in him imo.

Sir C
04-24-2018, 01:37 PM
George Graham's still got a few good years left in him imo.

Gary Neville would be good.

Luis Anaconda
04-24-2018, 01:41 PM
What of Vic Akers? A man who is cringeworthily described on the website as having 'red and white coursing through his veins' - which seems to me to ignore the fact that everyone has red and white coursing through their veins. :-\

Nonsense - I rarely touch white wine

Burney
04-24-2018, 01:45 PM

Tragically, Brendan Rodgers is being urged to satay at Celtic by the club captain.

We may have to do without him. :-(

Burney
04-24-2018, 01:47 PM
Nonsense - I rarely touch white wine

I toyed with a bottle over lunch on Saturday, actually. I had to serve it in a big earthenware jug, though. I don't know why, but it just seems to taste better that way.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-24-2018, 01:48 PM
Rock-Paper-Scissors ?

We just now need contenders to fill the Lizard - Spock categories

If Ivan wants Arteta, it will prove that he is even more senile than anyone could ever possibly accuse Wenger of being.

Burney
04-24-2018, 01:49 PM

LOOK! ALL THE TRADITIONS ARE DYING! :cry:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/926932/Arsenal-news-shirt-sleeves-Vic-Akers

redgunamo
04-24-2018, 01:49 PM

If you see what I mean.

Thing is, nobody will want whomever it is to stay for ten years if he's no good, will they. And there's the rub. Essentially we're saying, we will want him to stay because he's winning us lots of big trophies. But how do you wrest loyalty from such a successful individual when he knows he's always just three or four consecutive defeats away from the sack?

Wenger is different in that He wanted to stay at the Arsenal regardless. He doesn't see success or failure; just going to work every day until it's time to stop. Doing His job. A professional.

Just Trent
04-24-2018, 01:56 PM
--

Got a call at 2AM last Monday from Ivan asking me check in with Raul and Sven first thing in the morning.

Thought I was going to get my P45 but they wanted me to organise Arsene's Surprise Going Away party.

That was the first I was told he was leaving :(

They gave me a budget of £100k plus which is to cover the event and a gift.

Also got to go around like a sap asking people to sign his card :shrug: Jesus Christ....I hate this bit.

Not sure what to get him for a gift....might get him a nice watch. Got it down to a Rolex Milgaus, a Jaeger Le Colture Master Ultra Thin Annual Perpertual Calender or the Omega Speedmaster Man on the Moon...he's into his space stuff so maybe something like that with a nice engraving on the back.

Anyone know anything about Cakes? I was going to bake my own but can't be ar sed. Plus I need to do a special one just to placate Hector and his vegan / gluten free diet he's been doing.

Kind Regards

Your Best Mate

Mickey Pearce

PS - All I know is Ancelloti is off the list because he was being a little too pushy...mo fo even started whats apping me so he could get an interview.

WD Mickey. Keep us updated on events

IUFG
04-24-2018, 01:58 PM
LOOK! ALL THE TRADITIONS ARE DYING! :cry:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/926932/Arsenal-news-shirt-sleeves-Vic-Akers

it is a fúcking disgrace, b, I tells yer.

Burney
04-24-2018, 02:03 PM
it is a fúcking disgrace, b, I tells yer.

The rot set in when they stopped us using anti-semitic abuse against Tottenham, iufg. :-(

Luis Anaconda
04-24-2018, 02:08 PM
I toyed with a bottle over lunch on Saturday, actually. I had to serve it in a big earthenware jug, though. I don't know why, but it just seems to taste better that way.

gpwm - it has its place

IUFG
04-24-2018, 02:10 PM
The rot set in when they stopped us using anti-semitic abuse against Tottenham, iufg. :-(

tbh, I was never fond of the hissing.

The badge.

Changing the badge. For copyright reasons.

That was the day when the old Arsenal died... :cry:

Burney
04-24-2018, 02:14 PM

The badge.

It wasn't a question of being fond of it, it was part of our birthright as Arsenal fans - AND THEY TOOK IT AWAY! :cry:

They take everything away. The b@stards.

IUFG
04-24-2018, 02:15 PM

You'll not get much of an engraving on the back of an Omega, mp. HTH

IUFG
04-24-2018, 02:16 PM
They take everything away. The b@stards.

One has to keep the snowflakes safe, b

Burney
04-24-2018, 02:17 PM

The badge.

btw, I'm amazed Sir C hasn't been in here yet to tell us the Arsenal died the day they tore down the North Bank.

Pokster
04-24-2018, 02:22 PM
btw, I'm amazed Sir C hasn't been in here yet to tell us the Arsenal died the day they tore down the North Bank.

I'm sorry, Arsenal died the day you put a curse on them. This is ALL your fault b

Burney
04-24-2018, 02:29 PM
I'm sorry, Arsenal died the day you put a curse on them. This is ALL your fault b

We'd been 18 years without the Ashes, p. If my calculations are correct, that means we should win the league again in 2022. Put a monkey on it.

Pokster
04-24-2018, 02:33 PM
We'd been 18 years without the Ashes, p. If my calculations are correct, that means we should win the league again in 2022. Put a monkey on it.

And we used to win the league every 18 yrs until you jonxed it...35,53,71,89....should have won it in 2007 until YOU ****ED IT UP. ****, you, not Arsene

Burney
04-24-2018, 02:41 PM
And we used to win the league every 18 yrs until you jonxed it...35,53,71,89....should have won it in 2007 until YOU ****ED IT UP. ****, you, not Arsene

It was 18 years without a title between 71 and 89. It will be 18 years between 2004 and 2022.

It is written. :nod:

Sir C
04-24-2018, 02:44 PM

:shrug: This is a given, no?

Burney
04-24-2018, 02:48 PM
:shrug: This is a given, no?

Yeah. Annoyingly, you're probably right.

PSRB
04-24-2018, 02:55 PM
Yeah. Annoyingly, you're probably right.

:nod: No disagreement here.....although technically that was Wenger's fault #Wengerout

redgunamo
04-24-2018, 02:58 PM

True. In fairness though, one of them bond thingummies was practically the first large purchase I made with my own money.

Except the proverbial, of course.

Sir C
04-24-2018, 03:00 PM
:nod: No disagreement here.....although technically that was Wenger's fault #Wengerout

Wenger pulled down the North Bank in 1992?

Burney
04-24-2018, 03:04 PM

Of course not. Everyone knows it was Gunnersaurus. The cvnt.

Actually, if we think about it, the writing was definitely on the wall when that daft cvnt started appearing. :-(

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-24-2018, 03:06 PM

Fact....Wenger was first choice to replace Graham.

Tony C
04-24-2018, 03:20 PM
Nagelsmann would certainly be a bold appointment.

All depends on how well Sven can sell it to Ivan and Raul.

I’d expect Raul to be okay about it given he’s been through 6 different appointments at Barca so this should be business as usual for him. Ivan appointed them so he’ll need to trust them rather than his own choice.

Listen if Sven wants him then get him...he’s scouting the players so the new man will need to follow his lead to some extent as opposed to an Ancelotti type who would have his own list.

PSRB
04-24-2018, 03:21 PM

Oh that pulling down, sorry, thought you were referring to moving to Emirates

AFC East
04-24-2018, 04:29 PM
Is this Jordi?

Funny how he ended up a shadow of his father.

Aren't we all? :cry:

Sir C
04-24-2018, 04:53 PM
Aren't we all? :cry:

You’re taking it damned hard, afce :-(

eastgermanautos
04-24-2018, 04:56 PM
Rock-Paper-Scissors ?

I don't see Arteta as a leader of men.

Rich
04-24-2018, 05:44 PM
Rock-Paper-Scissors ?

Ralf Rangnick is apparently on our shortlist.

Who???? :-(

redgunamo
04-24-2018, 05:56 PM

Sounds about right, to be honest. Influential coach, although he's never really scaled the heights. The German Andy Roxburgh, you might say :-\

Burney
04-24-2018, 07:45 PM

I prefer Thor Ragnarok

Just Trent
04-24-2018, 08:03 PM
I don't see Arteta as a leader of men.

Yes, that's what I'd be wondering. I like Arteta. But, would he walk into that dressing room and take charge of Aubameyang and co?
I think we need someone who can tidy up some of the mess we're in. This squad needs a really firm hand imo

Rich
04-24-2018, 08:34 PM
I prefer Thor Ragnarok

Don't you think there is something quite endearing about being managed by a Ralf? It would be a very Arsenal-eque appointment, I have to say.