PDA

View Full Version : I must admit that getting sucked out of a plane window doesn't sound much fun.

Burney
04-19-2018, 10:28 AM
Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that, of all the ways for aeroplane travel to kill you, only burning alive sounds worse.

Tony C
04-19-2018, 10:32 AM
According to Auric Goldfinger it’s definitely being sucked out of the plane imo

Cracking film..might load it up soon.

Sir C
04-19-2018, 10:35 AM
Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that, of all the ways for aeroplane travel to kill you, only burning alive sounds worse.

It happened at FL320, I believe, so you'd have about 30 seconds before you were rendered unconscious. Add the trauma of the journey through the (very small) window, and I would suspect (and hope) that the poor lady was pretty much instantly insensible.

PSRB
04-19-2018, 10:38 AM
It happened at FL320, I believe, so you'd have about 30 seconds before you were rendered unconscious. Add the trauma of the journey through the (very small) window, and I would suspect (and hope) that the poor lady was pretty much instantly insensible.

I think she was also hit by shrapnel from the engine exploding, that might well have killed her before all the other nasty bits happened.

Rich
04-19-2018, 10:39 AM

Presumably it was just her head that went through. I'd have thought the shoulders would have been too broad to go through. I'm also impressed that the passengers were able to hold onto her.

Pat Vegas

must have been some force. Those windows are not very big.

Burney

Yes. Worrying, though. Not the sort of thing you really want happening.

Burney
04-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Presumably it was just her head that went through. I'd have thought the shoulders would have been too broad to go through. I'm also impressed that the passengers were able to hold onto her.

In which case, one might have been tempted to leave her there to plug the hole, sort of thing.

Monty92
04-19-2018, 10:42 AM

I know she appears to have landed the plane in a highly accomplished fashion and is rightly being lauded for her skill and composure, but still, imagine realising your plane is in serious trouble and then remembering the pilot is a chick :-(

Pat Vegas
04-19-2018, 10:44 AM
I know she appears to have landed the plane in a highly accomplished fashion and is rightly being lauded for her skill and composure, but still, imagine realising your plane is in serious trouble and then remembering the pilot is a chick :-(

that's probably what caused this in the first place.

Sir C
04-19-2018, 10:46 AM

So either her shoulders stopped her going through, or it's impressive that the passngers were able to stop her going through. which is it, dumbass?

Sir C
04-19-2018, 10:47 AM

Birds make good peelohs in my experience.

The best pilot I ever knew was a bird, actually.

Burney
04-19-2018, 10:48 AM
that's probably what caused this in the first place.

My prejudices against pilots are much more national than gender-based. Much better an American woman than a Greek or Spaniard, for instance.

Monty92
04-19-2018, 10:50 AM
My prejudices against pilots are much more national than gender-based. Much better an American woman than a Greek or Spaniard, for instance.

And class-based, shirley?

Rich
04-19-2018, 10:50 AM
So either her shoulders stopped her going through, or it's impressive that the passngers were able to stop her going through. which is it, dumbass?

Now look - your tone is utterly unacceptable. I will now clarify my hypothesis.

- Window broken by engine shrapnel at FL320 (this may require a modification to the plastic used in windows).
- Woman's head sucked through window due to explosive decompression.
- Shoulders must have delayed exit since she'd have been out in a couple of seconds if not.
- Passengers hang on to her - but by this stage aircraft was probably at FL200 or below so was a pointless task (ignoring the fact she would have most likely been deceased by this stage.

Burney
04-19-2018, 10:51 AM
And class-based, shirley?

Obviously. One doesn't want a pilot who can't speak or behave properly.

Burney
04-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Now look - your tone is utterly unacceptable. I will now clarify my hypothesis.

- Window broken by engine shrapnel at FL320 (this may require a modification to the plastic used in windows).
- Woman's head sucked through window due to explosive decompression.
- Shoulders must have delayed exit since she'd have been out in a couple of seconds if not.
- Passengers hang on to her - but by this stage aircraft was probably at FL200 or below so was a pointless task (ignoring the fact she would have most likely been deceased by this stage.

How fat was she? Imagine if a big lardy yank had been the suckee. That would have been something to see.

IUFG
04-19-2018, 11:04 AM
How fat was she? Imagine if a big lardy yank had been the suckee. That would have been something to see.

I'm surprised some **** hasn't uploaded mobile phone footage of the incident onto Youtube already, tbh

Burney
04-19-2018, 11:06 AM
I'm surprised some **** hasn't uploaded mobile phone footage of the incident onto Youtube already, tbh

Damned undignified way to go imo. Halfway out of a plane with your legs dangling. :-(

Sir C
04-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Damned undignified way to go imo. Halfway out of a plane with your legs dangling. :-(

Aircraft. Aeroplane. 'The jet' if you are the one flying it.

Burney
04-19-2018, 11:09 AM
Aircraft. Aeroplane. 'The jet' if you are the one flying it.

These sort of semantics would go by the board when you get sucked off to eternity imo.

IUFG
04-19-2018, 11:28 AM
. . . when you get sucked off to eternity imo.

like a Muslamic martyr?

Luis Anaconda
04-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Obviously. One doesn't want a pilot who can't speak or behave properly.
Surely just getting one that is sober is a bonus

Sir C
04-19-2018, 11:59 AM
Surely just getting one that is sober is a bonus

Are you mad, man? Flying without a drink inside you? The very idea is monstrous.

Rich
04-19-2018, 12:10 PM
Are you mad, man? Flying without a drink inside you? The very idea is monstrous.

I will be making the short hop from Compton Abbas to Normandie in the next few weeks. The main purpose of this trip will be to acquire both wine and cheese. I hadn't considered sampling some of the produce in France but you raise an interesting point to consider.

Luis Anaconda
04-19-2018, 12:11 PM

Good lord, by sober I don't mean not having a drink, just being able to walk and possible talk to the passengers without slurring