Pat Vegas
04-18-2018, 08:48 AM
Rather than look back in fondness it made me sad :-(

why is this? that team should have done more :-(

SWv2
04-18-2018, 10:19 AM

The absence of a European triumph, or indeed coming close, is often held up as a reason to knock them.

IUFG
04-18-2018, 10:25 AM
The absence of a European triumph, or indeed coming close, is often held up as a reason to knock them.

or not winning back-to-back titles

Burney
04-18-2018, 10:28 AM

The European thing doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the number of leagues United won between 1998 and 2004.

SWv2
04-18-2018, 10:29 AM
or not winning back-to-back titles

Indeed, a real failure in my book.

In the past we seemed to win a title then rest on our laurels as such instead of using the success as a basis for aggressive strengthening. Of course one has to acknowledge that winning the thing is difficult enough in the first place, to retain it would merely be rubber stamping the team's dominance.

SWv2
04-18-2018, 10:32 AM
The European thing doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the number of leagues United won between 1998 and 2004.

Well documented on here that I am no huge fan of Europe apart from in an economic, social and cultural perspective.

One’s domestic league title is always and will always be the first priority to me. We had scattered success in this respect as opposed to sustained.

Certainly 1 was allowed to slip in the period you reference.

Rich
04-18-2018, 10:38 AM

Presumably we can use this as another stick with which to bash Arsene?

Burney
04-18-2018, 10:38 AM
Well documented on here that I am no huge fan of Europe apart from in an economic, social and cultural perspective.

One’s domestic league title is always and will always be the first priority to me. We had scattered success in this respect as opposed to sustained.

Certainly 1 was allowed to slip in the period you reference.

:nod: It's telling, in fact, that during what we like to call our period of dominance, United won just as many leagues as we did.

Rich
04-18-2018, 10:40 AM
:nod: It's telling, in fact, that during what we like to call our period of dominance, United won just as many leagues as we did.

Well they are a significantly bigger club. What constitutes dominance for us is average for them.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-18-2018, 11:13 AM
SWv2 "The absence of a European triumph, or indeed coming close, is often held up as a reason to knock them."

It really was a missed opportunity given the teams which reached the Semi-Final that year
And going out to a Wayne Bridge winner in that Quarter at Highbury... :shout: :cry:

A CL in 04 and another in 06 would have suited me

Burney
04-18-2018, 11:22 AM
SWv2 "The absence of a European triumph, or indeed coming close, is often held up as a reason to knock them."

It really was a missed opportunity given the teams which reached the Semi-Final that year
And going out to a Wayne Bridge winner in that Quarter at Highbury... :shout: :cry:

A CL in 04 and another in 06 would have suited me

Of course, the question is whether we could have sustained our league performance if we'd still been in the CL?

Tony C
04-18-2018, 12:30 PM
That year Chelsea knocked us out was our year and pretty pivotal to the future of European football.

Chelsea played Monaco in the Semi Final but Ranieri found a way to lose but then a young Jose Mourinho masterminded a famous win for Porto in the final...next up was his victory lap around Europe with Chelsea, Real and Inter and years of endless Arsene torment.

:shrug:

Should have got the job done that year imo

Tony C
04-18-2018, 12:33 PM
It’s part of the reason I just can’t see us winning the EL.

After witnessing stuff like the above, Galatasary in the UEFA, Paris in 06, Birmingham in the Carling Cup...I just think we’ll find a way to screw it up.

We’ll probably beat Atlético 5-0 over the 2 legs then lose on penalties to Salzburg in the final :nod:

World's End Stella
04-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Well they are a significantly bigger club. What constitutes dominance for us is average for them.

That's true if you ignore the 25 year period during which they didn't win the league once and were relegated.

New to football, Rich?

IUFG
04-18-2018, 12:53 PM
That's true if you ignore the 25 year period during which they didn't win the league once and were relegated.

New to football, Rich?

I think he is, wes. This moment was obviously sweet for the Citeh fans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8HQhV3ujyg

World's End Stella
04-18-2018, 12:59 PM
I think he is, wes. This moment was obviously sweet for the Citeh fans...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8HQhV3ujyg

Can you imagine Vieira or McLintock relegating us, IUFG? Me, neither. :-)

That really is quite, quite beautiful. :cloud9:

PSRB
04-18-2018, 01:22 PM

Not winning the CL in 2004 annoys me more than than Henry fvcking up vs Barca. 2004 was the year we should have won it.

Burney
04-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Not winning the CL in 2004 annoys me more than than Henry fvcking up vs Barca. 2004 was the year we should have won it.

I wouldn't swap it for the Invincibles year, tbh. And it might have come down to an either/or between the two.

AFC East
04-18-2018, 01:28 PM
We’ll probably beat Atlético 5-0 over the 2 legs then lose on penalties to Salzburg in the final :nod:

I find this course of events perversely amusing. Although a 3-1 victory over Madrid sounds more plausible.

World's End Stella
04-18-2018, 01:29 PM

For some reason the 2002/2003 screw up hurts me the most. It would have been three in a row. :-(

AFC East
04-18-2018, 01:52 PM
For some reason the 2002/2003 screw up hurts me the most. It would have been three in a row. :-(

But possibly gave us the sense of injustice that led to the Invincibles year? Three in a row, or two out of three and an invincible year?

World's End Stella
04-18-2018, 01:57 PM
But possibly gave us the sense of injustice that led to the Invincibles year? Three in a row, or two out of three and an invincible year?

3 in a row and the invincibles, AFCE. :-)

I'm a greedy f*cker.

AFC East
04-18-2018, 01:58 PM
3 in a row and the invincibles, AFCE. :-)

I'm a greedy f*cker.

**** it, let's have the CL in 2004 as well.

We'd probably still just as miserable about finishing 6th/7th :-(

SWv2
04-18-2018, 02:45 PM

I take your point as 2004 was a much better team, however beating Chelsea would have meant us having to avoid ****ing up for 3 more matches, 180 minutes. Who knows how we would have coped with the remaining games and team rotation.

Jeremie Aliadiere to start up top. Blimey.

Henry scoring that chance meant 20 minutes and surely victory?

The circumstances of 2004 certainly hurt more as we utterly blew it, Paris was more a sense of disbelief that we were actually winning.

IUFG
04-18-2018, 03:29 PM
Henry scoring that chance meant 20 minutes and surely victory?

The circumstances of 2004 certainly hurt more as we utterly blew it, Paris was more a sense of disbelief that we were actually winning.

Henrik Fúcking Larsson

Manuel Fúcking Almunia :-(

World's End Stella
04-18-2018, 03:34 PM
Henrik Fúcking Larsson

God was I drunk that night. The George Abbott in Guildford's fault. I fancied lager and they only had Fosters and Stella so I ingeniously decided that watching the CL final and swilling endless pints of Stella was a good idea.

I can still recall the look on the Chinese woman's face at the chippy as I ordered. Not sure what she was more worried about, my ability to take my wallet out and pay or the likelihood that I was about to fall into the glass window behind me. :-(

IUFG
04-18-2018, 03:38 PM
God was I drunk that night. The George Abbott in Guildford's fault. I fancied lager and they only had Fosters and Stella so I ingeniously decided that watching the CL final and swilling endless pints of Stella was a good idea.

I can still recall the look on the Chinese woman's face at the chippy as I ordered. Not sure what she was more worried about, my ability to take my wallet out and pay or the likelihood that I was about to fall into the glass window behind me. :-(

I miss the 5.2% Stella. :cry:

redgunamo
04-19-2018, 07:46 AM

They did plenty, imo. As a rule, we are not greedy supporters.

redgunamo
04-19-2018, 07:48 AM
Henrik Fúcking Larsson

Jens Lehmann :-(