PDA

View Full Version : How much money do you reckon we could get back

Billy Goat Sverige
04-16-2018, 02:03 PM
For Mustafi? At this point I’m starting to think it would be so low that you might as well keep him and have him as 4th choice.

Peter
04-16-2018, 02:06 PM
For Mustafi? At this point I’m starting to think it would be so low that you might as well keep him and have him as 4th choice.

You would have to start by finding two players better than him.

Billy Goat Sverige
04-16-2018, 02:07 PM

Not that hard considering he’s ****ing ****.

IUFG
04-16-2018, 02:10 PM

There has to be a defender bought in the summer, and I'd rather have the likes of #gulp# Shawcross in the team, than him. Surely he's got a release clause when they get relegated.

I assume Boateng and Hummels are before him in the international running. Even Howedes must be; and he's nearly dead.

Mustafi will end up being another one running his contract down in the stiffs.

PSRB
04-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Thing is, he'll do a lot of very good stuff and then just has complete brain fade and usually more than once.

PSRB
04-16-2018, 02:11 PM
There has to be a defender bought in the summer, and I'd rather have the likes of #gulp# Shawcross in the team, than him. Surely he's got a release clause when they get relegated.

I assume Boateng and Hummels are before him in the international running. Even Howedes must be; and he's nearly dead.

Only 1 player I want from Stoke, Butland. Shawcross is very average

IUFG
04-16-2018, 02:12 PM
Only 1 player I want from Stoke, Butland. Shawcross is very average

Agree about Butland.

Average? That would be an improvement on Mustafi tbh

Billy Goat Sverige
04-16-2018, 02:15 PM

We need two centre backs. I’d try and get Evans for £3m (if the clause is true) and give him a shortish contract and spend £30-40m on a good one.

PSRB
04-16-2018, 02:19 PM
Agree about Butland.

Average? That would be an improvement on Mustafi tbh

Not sure the rest of the squad would be overly keen on him coming to us, either.

IUFG
04-16-2018, 02:23 PM
Not sure the rest of the squad would be overly keen on him coming to us, either.

Him and Ramsey could have a love in.

Looking at the teams that will most likely go down - Southampton, Stoke and WBA - there isn't much worth picking over, save for Butland.

Peter
04-16-2018, 02:24 PM

I think we are such a mess that you cant really judge a defender in this side. Mustafi isnt ****ing ****, he is just at sea in this team as are many others.

Koscielny haas had periods where he has looked ****ing awful this season. And that isKoscielny.

Luis Anaconda
04-16-2018, 02:30 PM

Why is Howedes almost dead? Only 30 and scored for Juve yesterday

IUFG
04-16-2018, 02:34 PM

I thought he went to Juve and disappeared via a Diaby like injury..?

redgunamo
04-16-2018, 02:49 PM

I would've suggested Nik Süle, but I see he joined you lot in the Summer :homer:

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-16-2018, 02:55 PM

I reckon he'd be fine in a team that can defend. We can go out and buy the best defenders in the world but they would end up looking lost at sea in the current setup.

Peter
04-16-2018, 03:07 PM
I reckon he'd be fine in a team that can defend. We can go out and buy the best defenders in the world but they would end up looking lost at sea in the current setup.

Agreed. I am not convinced that Tony Adams could hold a back four together in this side.

That said, some of the mistakes are still, to some extent, inforgiveable. But then these current league games are among the most pointless we have played in years, with a major focus elsewhere. I wouldnt judge anyone solely on these games.

Rich
04-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Manolas, Evans, Meyer & Martial/Dembele would be my wishlist.

SWv2
04-16-2018, 03:14 PM

I would expect we are looking to replace 2-3 this summer.

Mustafi, Koscielny and Monreal all looking over their shoulders. Questions need to be asked about whether Chambers, Holding and Kolasinac are up to the job.

Cech also.

Rich
04-16-2018, 03:20 PM
I would expect we are looking to replace 2-3 this summer.

Mustafi, Koscielny and Monreal all looking over their shoulders. Questions need to be asked about whether Chambers, Holding and Kolasinac are up to the job.

Cech also.

Cazorla obviously needs replacing (Meyer on a free makes sense - Minsilat was at the Shalke game the other night & they have confirmed he will leave in the summer). This will also cater for Wilshere if we assume that he's leaving on a free.

Agree on Cech - Maybe Ospina can do a job?

Monreal has been strong for the most part this season. However, Kolisinac can't move his feet so I would suggest we look for a longer term replacement (Shaw/Rodriguez?).

Defenders are clearly an issue but I understand that Evans' preference is to remain up north (cannot fathom why). Manolas would be great, though.

SWv2
04-16-2018, 03:21 PM
Cazorla obviously needs replacing (Meyer on a free makes sense - Minsilat was at the Shalke game the other night & they have confirmed he will leave in the summer). This will also cater for Wilshere if we assume that he's leaving on a free.

Agree on Cech - Maybe Ospina can do a job?

Monreal has been strong for the most part this season. However, Kolisinac can't move his feet so I would suggest we look for a longer term replacement (Shaw/Rodriguez?).

Defenders are clearly an issue but I understand that Evans' preference is to remain up north (cannot fathom why). Manolas would be great, though.

You're a twát.

Peter
04-16-2018, 03:22 PM
You're a ****.

Little bit harsh?

Rich
04-16-2018, 03:23 PM
You're a ****.

That is extremely rude.

SWv2
04-16-2018, 03:23 PM
Little bit harsh?

Okay. Noted.

Peter
04-16-2018, 03:26 PM
Okay. Noted.

I was intrigued as to your reasons. Which bit irked you?

Luis Anaconda
04-16-2018, 03:34 PM
You're a twát.

That's actually one of his most reasonable posts. Not saying you are wrong though

SWv2
04-16-2018, 03:48 PM
That's actually one of his most reasonable posts. Not saying you are wrong though

Poor old Sven went the whole way to Germany and Max never made it off the bench.

May as well start a rumour to say he was there to scout Wiegl and then Dick will change to wanting him signed.

Tony C
04-16-2018, 04:10 PM
West Brom will need a replacement for Johnny Evans...that’s Mustafi’s level.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-16-2018, 06:19 PM
Agreed. I am not convinced that Tony Adams could hold a back four together in this side.

That said, some of the mistakes are still, to some extent, inforgiveable. But then these current league games are among the most pointless we have played in years, with a major focus elsewhere. I wouldnt judge anyone solely on these games.

The individual mistakes are a consequence of our overall collective failings. We are not a unit and so, as a result, individuals are under pressure and are always going to be easier to isolate individuals inevitably leading to individual mistakes.

Tony C
04-16-2018, 08:01 PM
Pretty sure Mustafi was just clearing the ball for the 1st goal yesterday.

Man thinking he’s Maldini or Frank De Boer all of a sudden lol

IUFG
04-17-2018, 06:56 AM
Pretty sure Mustafi was just clearing the ball for the 1st goal yesterday.

I suppose it could be even worse. At least we don't have Joe Hart in goal.

World's End Stella
04-17-2018, 08:05 AM
How about Harry Maguire from Leicester? Always seems to play well when I see him play. Or is he not sophisticated enough for us?

Not that it matters. Do we really trust a manager who bought Mustafi, Chambers and Holding to buy the CB we need?

IUFG
04-17-2018, 08:12 AM
How about Harry Maguire from Leicester? Always seems to play well when I see him play. Or is he not sophisticated enough for us?

He has proved to be a steal from Hull City at £12m.

Jarrod Bowen has caught my eye whenever I have had the misfortune to watch Championship football. Still, the last thing we need is another slightly built attacking player.

World's End Stella
04-17-2018, 08:47 AM
He has proved to be a steal from Hull City at £12m.

Jarrod Bowen has caught my eye whenever I have had the misfortune to watch Championship football. Still, the last thing we need is another slightly built attacking player.

That Golovin chap did look very useful and as much as I'd prefer we didn't buy another smallish no. 10 sort of midfielder, Golovin alongside of Ozil and Mikkie behind Aubameyang feels awfully good. Although I've never understood why Wenger doesn't play Ramsey as part of the 3 given how much he likes him and his view that good players find ways to play together. Or perhaps I just haven't been watching enough of us this season. Has he ever played two of Elneny/Wilshere/Xhaka farther back and Ramsey/Ozil/Mikkie behind a striker?

At the back I'm not sure where we start. Remember, we not only generated a profit in the summer transfer window, we didn't buy a single defender if you don't consider Kolasinac a defender. :shrug:

Just Trent
04-17-2018, 08:50 AM

Dear old Arsene will spend all summer trying to sign Smalling from Utd. He'll eventually get him on deadline day, for a hugely inflated fee. After we lose the first two or three games. Then Smalling will be utter **** as well. WD Arsene Wenger imo

Rich
04-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Dear old Arsene will spend all summer trying to sign Smalling from Utd. He'll eventually get him on deadline day, for a hugely inflated fee. After we lose the first two or three games. Then Smalling will be utter **** as well. WD Arsene Wenger imo

Surely we won't allow Arsene to stay if we finish 7th and don't win the Europa League?

IUFG
04-17-2018, 09:27 AM
That Golovin chap did look very useful and as much as I'd prefer we didn't buy another smallish no. 10 sort of midfielder, Golovin alongside of Ozil and Mikkie behind Aubameyang feels awfully good. Although I've never understood why Wenger doesn't play Ramsey as part of the 3 given how much he likes him and his view that good players find ways to play together. Or perhaps I just haven't been watching enough of us this season. Has he ever played two of Elneny/Wilshere/Xhaka farther back and Ramsey/Ozil/Mikkie behind a striker?

A couple of midfielders who don't feel the compulsion to run beyond the ball whenever we're in possession would be nice...

Billy Goat Sverige
04-17-2018, 09:27 AM
Surely we won't allow Arsene to stay if we finish 7th and don't win the Europa League?

He won't be staying if we don't win it and finish 6th.

Pokster
04-17-2018, 09:31 AM

He shouldn't stay no matter what happens between now and the end of the season..... worst league season since he arrived is what he should be judged on... cups are a distraction and not a true vision of how a season goes

World's End Stella
04-17-2018, 09:32 AM
A couple of midfielders who don't feel the compulsion to run beyond the ball whenever we're in possession would be nice...

:nod: Although I would probably take one if the powers that be realize that Ramsey should never be one of the two. Elneny, Xhaka and one new midfielder would be fine.

World's End Stella
04-17-2018, 09:33 AM

Really? Which of him falling on his sword or the board finally getting rid of him do you think is most likely under this scenario?

I struggle to see either happening, might be wrong. :shrug:

Peter
04-17-2018, 09:33 AM

Do you really think finishing sixth matters?

I think he is staying whatever happens.

IUFG
04-17-2018, 09:34 AM

Keep checking houses for sale in Totteridge :thumbup:

Peter
04-17-2018, 09:34 AM

How about a manager who tells them not to do that and drops them if they do?

IUFG
04-17-2018, 09:36 AM
How about a manager who tells them not to do that and drops them if they do?

would be nice.

I'm all for a new manager, p :nod:

Sir C
04-17-2018, 09:39 AM

#totaalvoetball

Just Trent
04-17-2018, 09:45 AM

:nod: Last year people kept on saying 'if he finishes below Spurs he'll go'. Now it's the same nonsense with 6th place and Burnley. ****ing Burnley! Will this madness never end?

Rich
04-17-2018, 09:52 AM
:nod: Last year people kept on saying 'if he finishes below Spurs he'll go'. Now it's the same nonsense with 6th place and Burnley. ****ing Burnley! Will this madness never end?

A top half finish is not to be sniffed at, JT.

Peter
04-17-2018, 10:00 AM

We were absolutely ****ing awful last season and they gave him a new contract. They are not going to sack him and if he was going to walk he would have done it in the summer. We all know we are stuck with him for at least another year.

THe slightest hint of improvement next season and there will be a new contract.....

Billy Goat Sverige
04-17-2018, 10:01 AM

Tell me why they'd keep him? We're miles away from top 4 and the club is losing money because of it. The stadium is half empty most weeks. There's literally no reason for them to want to keep him. Last season we were just behind 4th and won the FA cup. This season if the scenario mentioned plays out we're potless and most likely 15-20 points away from 4th. People are going off what's happened in the past but it's irrelevant because it's never been this bad.

Pokster
04-17-2018, 10:07 AM
Tell me why they'd keep him? We're miles away from top 4 and the club is losing money because of it. The stadium is half empty most weeks. There's literally no reason for them to want to keep him. Last season we were just behind 4th and won the FA cup. This season if the scenario mentioned plays out we're potless and most likely 15-20 points away from 4th. People are going off what's happened in the past but it's irrelevant because it's never been this bad.

Most games lost, most goal against, lowest finish (likely), stadium 3/4 full at best, no away points in 2018...... should be sacked imo

Billy Goat Sverige
04-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Most games lost, most goal against, lowest finish (likely), stadium 3/4 full at best, no away points in 2018...... should be sacked imo

Probably our lowest points total since 94/95. We're now as **** as before he got here.

Peter
04-17-2018, 10:10 AM

Because they gave him a two year deal last season when, lets face it, what has happened this season was always very likely to happen. We knew we had major problems around Sanchez and Ozil, we knew Liverpool, Spurs and United were all improving.

This season cant have come as a major surprise to them, we all knew it was going to be tough. THey are not going to sack him. Clearly they are putting things in place behind the scenes for when he does go so we have some hope of him leaving next summer. THe only way I see him leaving this summer is if he walks and again....he just isnt going to.

Unless they have a detailed plot around who they are bringing in and Wenger is willingly involved in the timing of it. I dont think that is true though....

Peter
04-17-2018, 10:11 AM
Probably our lowest points total since 94/95. We're now as **** as before he got here.

THis is the worst arsenal side since the year they sacked Graham. THat side reached a european final.....

Rich
04-17-2018, 10:14 AM

The only thing that gives me hope is that Arsene himself did say that his performance would be evaluated with the board this summer & a mutual decision reached.

So the question is whether the board see this year as a blip and that normal service of 4th place trophies can be resumed next year.

My personal opinion is that he will only stay if we win the EL (bit worried that we might). If we don't, the board will surely look at Klopp at Liverpool, Pochetino at Spurs etc and see that there are managers doing a significantly better job with less resource.

I think that they gave him a 2 year deal to make a smooth transition. They have made significant changes to the backroom staff with Sanhelli, Milsilant and Fahmy with more to follow this summer (Mertesaker etc). I think this was designed to avoid the 'big bang' scenario that worked so poorly at post-Fergie United.

Billy Goat Sverige
04-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Because they gave him a two year deal last season when, lets face it, what has happened this season was always very likely to happen. We knew we had major problems around Sanchez and Ozil, we knew Liverpool, Spurs and United were all improving.

This season cant have come as a major surprise to them, we all knew it was going to be tough. THey are not going to sack him. Clearly they are putting things in place behind the scenes for when he does go so we have some hope of him leaving next summer. THe only way I see him leaving this summer is if he walks and again....he just isnt going to.

Unless they have a detailed plot around who they are bringing in and Wenger is willingly involved in the timing of it. I dont think that is true though....

So you think they gave him the new contract expecting to be about 15 points worse off? Come off it. They gave it to him because there was no structure in place for a successor and because he narrowly missed out on 4th and won a trophy. It's now the complete opposite in that we're miles away from 4th and the structure to replace him is there.

World's End Stella
04-17-2018, 10:55 AM

Yes, I agree with the bit about them not being willing to sack him and him not being (because of his arrogance) willing to resign.

And allow me another opportunity to point out that despite of all the challenges we knew of, the manager still generated a profit in the summer transfer window and the club let him do it. :-)

SWv2
04-17-2018, 11:15 AM
THis is the worst arsenal side since the year they sacked Graham. THat side reached a european final.....

Not sure it is any worse than some of the early Emirates teams in the periods post Henry.

We had some fúcking corkers playing for us in that time but arguably the overall standard of the PL was lower which allowed us to make top 4.

There are some excellent footballers in the current team, the issue is the manager.

Pat Vegas
04-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Not sure it is any worse than some of the early Emirates teams in the periods post Henry.

We had some fúcking corkers playing for us in that time but arguably the overall standard of the PL was lower which allowed us to make top 4.

There are some excellent footballers in the current team, the issue is the manager.

He had an handy excuse of Chelsea being big spenders
'we can't compete' and we just moved stadium.

Though those squads still played exciting football. The whole period where we had the likes of Arteta (I like him) Squlliaci, Jenkinson, Frimpong, I didn't like at all.

we were not that great last season at Highbury either to be honest except our decent CL run.

SWv2
04-17-2018, 11:54 AM
He had an handy excuse of Chelsea being big spenders
'we can't compete' and we just moved stadium.

Though those squads still played exciting football. The whole period where we had the likes of Arteta (I like him) Squlliaci, Jenkinson, Frimpong, I didn't like at all.

we were not that great last season at Highbury either to be honest except our decent CL run.

Those teams had smashing individuals such as Fabregas and van Persie but some of the others around them should never have been allowed to play for Arsenal such as those you name.

The current side also has smashing individuals, more I would argue, but perhaps a manager who doesn't appear to be able to get the most from their assorted talents.

Rich
04-17-2018, 11:58 AM
Those teams had smashing individuals such as Fabregas and van Persie but some of the others around them should never have been allowed to play for Arsenal such as those you name.

The current side also has smashing individuals, more I would argue, but perhaps a manager who doesn't appear to be able to get the most from their assorted talents.

Does he stay in the summer or does he go, SW?

Furthermore, my preferred replacement would be Massimo Allegri.

SWv2
04-17-2018, 12:03 PM
Does he stay in the summer or does he go, SW?

Furthermore, my preferred replacement would be Massimo Allegri.

Win the EL and he stays, or he might go in a blaze of secondary glory.

No idea.

I would honestly doubt MA is going to leave Juventus for a club that is not even in the CL so while EL success may work in your favour here I also suspect it would be the catalyst for further Wenger.

Peter
04-17-2018, 12:04 PM
So you think they gave him the new contract expecting to be about 15 points worse off? Come off it. They gave it to him because there was no structure in place for a successor and because he narrowly missed out on 4th and won a trophy. It's now the complete opposite in that we're miles away from 4th and the structure to replace him is there.

If they thought this season was going to be any better than last then they are not the sort of people I want hiring our next manager. I said at the time that he was mental to sign a new deal and that the next two years were going to be even harder.

They may not have expected it to be this bad but they must have expected that we would struggle to finish in the top four. At this stage, we could still win the Europa League, he has signed two decent players etc etc......

You can dress up the two previous seasons however you like but it was obvious to any **** that we were getting steadily worse and that has continued this year. THere is no grand departure here, just the same themes accentuated by the fact that we effectively gave up on the top four months ago. Even at this point I could fabricate grounds for optimism, as above....

I just genuinely dont believe they have the guts to sack him.

Tony C
04-17-2018, 12:09 PM
We’ll probably sign Evans and that’s it. Greek Marv and Holding will fight it out for the 2nd spot imo. Koscielny will be the new Per and Mustafi will be at right back after Bellerin p isses off.

Long shot is someone like Maitland making centre half his home like Kolo Toure did.

In midfield probably someone like Abdoulaye Doucouré from Watford with Xhaka staying, Wilshere leaving and Ramsey being the new Alexis / Ox contract rebel.

Tony C
04-17-2018, 12:12 PM
Our new goalie will be just interesting...decent pool to pick from this time around so no excuses ie Butland, Allison or Oblak.

Knowing Wenger it’s most likely Joe Hart or Buffon for 1 last season :nod:

Peter
04-17-2018, 12:25 PM
Our new goalie will be just interesting...decent pool to pick from this time around so no excuses ie Butland, Allison or Oblak.

Knowing Wenger it’s most likely Joe Hart or Buffon for 1 last season :nod:

The rumours seem to be based on transfers no longer being down to Wenger. Left to him, there wont be a new keeper next season. We will stick with Cech.

Billy Goat Sverige
04-17-2018, 12:34 PM
If they thought this season was going to be any better than last then they are not the sort of people I want hiring our next manager. I said at the time that he was mental to sign a new deal and that the next two years were going to be even harder.

They may not have expected it to be this bad but they must have expected that we would struggle to finish in the top four. At this stage, we could still win the Europa League, he has signed two decent players etc etc......

You can dress up the two previous seasons however you like but it was obvious to any **** that we were getting steadily worse and that has continued this year. THere is no grand departure here, just the same themes accentuated by the fact that we effectively gave up on the top four months ago. Even at this point I could fabricate grounds for optimism, as above....

I just genuinely dont believe they have the guts to sack him.

They probably thought if we got around 75 points again it would be close to getting 4th. Instead we’ll be lucky to get 60 and the 4th placed team will probably have 80. This is the thing now. Previously 70-75 (sometimes even lower) got you 4th place but now you’re looking at 80 points. How often has he get 80 points in his 22 years?