PDA

View Full Version : Lordy, but we were pretty poor last night.

Burney
04-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Got away with it, though, I s'pose. Hard to avoid the nagging suspicion that someone's going to rip us a new one in this competition pretty soon, though. :-\

Elneny gets better every time I see him, though.

IUFG
04-13-2018, 07:48 AM
Got away with it, though, I s'pose. Hard to avoid the nagging suspicion that someone's going to rip us a new one in this competition pretty soon, though. :-\

He was the best Arsenal player on the pitch last night. Him and Bambi.

OTOH, Cech, Mustafi, Wilshere (and on reflection Monreal) were dog shíte

Burney
04-13-2018, 07:53 AM
He was the best Arsenal player on the pitch last night. Him and Bambi.

OTOH, Cech, Mustafi, Wilshere (and on reflection Monreal) were dog shíte

:nod: Both goals were attributable to poor keeping. Wilshere kept falling over and then eventually did his favourite thing of leaving his foot in and getting injured. Seals learn faster than that boy.

Tony C
04-13-2018, 08:04 AM
On the flip side it’s a clear sign something his fundamentally wrong with the team when Welbeck and Elneny are your standout performers.

Like the old days when Grimandi or Flamini would be man of the match.

Got to get rid of all the flipping No10s imo

Burney
04-13-2018, 08:07 AM
On the flip side it’s a clear sign something his fundamentally wrong with the team when Welbeck and Elneny are your standout performers.

Like the old days when Grimandi or Flamini would be man of the match.

Got to get rid of all the flipping No10s imo

I think that's fair enough with regard to Welbeck (for whom the word 'ordinary' would be high praise), but not to Elneny.

Sir C
04-13-2018, 08:15 AM

No Xhaka, no party. :shrug:

Wilshere clearly has things on his mind. That display was... unacceptable from a professional footballer.

IUFG
04-13-2018, 08:18 AM
No Xhaka, no party. :shrug:

Wilshere clearly has things on his mind. That display was... unacceptable from a professional footballer.

I'm not really sure what Wilshere brings to the party tbh.

No creation, no goals, no defensive cover.

Injuries, that's what he brings...

Sir C
04-13-2018, 08:21 AM
I'm not really sure what Wilshere brings to the party tbh.

No creation, no goals, no defensive cover.

Injuries, that's what he brings...

At his best, (and he has been at his best at times this season) he is the one player we have whose combination of ability to run with the ball and tenacity can drive us forward - he can carry a team when he's on top of his game. When he isn't, he's a bit of as liability.

IUFG
04-13-2018, 08:23 AM
At his best, (and he has been at his best at times this season) he is the one player we have whose combination of ability to run with the ball and tenacity can drive us forward - he can carry a team when he's on top of his game. When he isn't, he's a bit of as liability.

I saw plenty of him running forward with the ball last night. It didn't lead to anything very positive iirc.

Sir C
04-13-2018, 08:26 AM
I saw plenty of him running forward with the ball last night. It didn't lead to anything very positive iirc.

It didn't, because last night he wasn't very good at it. When he's playing well, he's better at it.

World's End Stella
04-13-2018, 08:30 AM
We played, well, a lot like them really. They were terrible at our place and equally bad last night, we just played down to their level.

Although if I think back to it, it could well have been 3-3 at halftime at the Emirates. :shrug:

Can you imagine what Costa and Griezmann will do to us if we play like that? :hehe:

Luis Anaconda
04-13-2018, 08:34 AM
:nod: Both goals were attributable to poor keeping. Wilshere kept falling over and then eventually did his favourite thing of leaving his foot in and getting injured. Seals learn faster than that boy.

First goal was a fantastic save, would have been hard to get it further away than that - defenders didn't react

IUFG
04-13-2018, 08:36 AM
Can you imagine what Costa and Griezmann will do to us if we play like that? :hehe:

and add that Atletico Madrid have only conceded 15 goals in 31 La Liga matches this season... :browntrousers:

Sir C
04-13-2018, 08:37 AM
First goal was a fantastic save, would have been hard to get it further away than that - defenders didn't react

I agree, the initial save was excellent, but (and this sounds churlish, but really isn't...) his reaction time after the save was glacial. Had he been instantly up, he only needed to move two or three feet and he'd have had the near post covered.

Luis Anaconda
04-13-2018, 08:37 AM
and add that Atletico Madrid have only conceded 15 goals in 31 La Liga matches this season... :browntrousers:

They also drew home and away with Qarabag :shrug:

World's End Stella
04-13-2018, 08:38 AM

:nod: Watch Mustafi's defending on that one. When Wenger does actually move on, I'll be curious to see whether the next manager is capable of acquiring and training defenders who can recognize the need to get close to, and stay with, attacking players in the box.

IUFG
04-13-2018, 08:41 AM
They also drew home and away with Qarabag :shrug:

and drawn 2 games with Real Madrid :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
04-13-2018, 08:41 AM
I agree, the initial save was excellent, but (and this sounds churlish, but really isn't...) his reaction time after the save was glacial. Had he been instantly up, he only needed to move two or three feet and he'd have had the near post covered.

Yes - fair point. I think we can all accept we are talking about a keeper past his prime. I would though even cut him some slack for the second - the ball clearly dipped late (would like to see it from behind the goal). I blame modern balls, sir c - was thinking that when Laca had his chance in the first half - a nice Mersonesque chip would have been perfect here, but modern players simply don't do that anymore, probably because they don't trust the ball. Sad

Luis Anaconda
04-13-2018, 08:42 AM
and drawn 2 games with Real Madrid :shrug:

who have lost to tiny teams like Leganes and Spurs

IUFG
04-13-2018, 08:43 AM

:hehe: nice won, la

Luis Anaconda
04-13-2018, 08:44 AM
:nod: Watch Mustafi's defending on that one. When Wenger does actually move on, I'll be curious to see whether the next manager is capable of acquiring and training defenders who can recognize the need to get close to, and stay with, attacking players in the box.

I don't get Mustafi at all - one game he is throwing himself madly at everything the next he is statuesque. Seems an intelligent lad from interviews I have seen - probably a bad thing in a defender

World's End Stella
04-13-2018, 08:47 AM

So isn't the conclusion that big clubs can often not take small clubs as seriously as they should but that they tend to play their best when they know the opposition is really quite good?

In which case, our name is on the trophy. :cloud9:

IUFG
04-13-2018, 08:47 AM
I don't get Mustafi at all - one game he is throwing himself madly at everything the next he is statuesque. Seems an intelligent lad from interviews I have seen - probably a bad thing in a defender

Jackyll and Hyde character. At least you knew where you where with the likes of Djourou and Squillachi.

Intelligence in a defender? No sensible person will put his head in where it shouldn't really be...

exhibit A
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/10/article-2653758-066A39EA0000044D-874_634x477.jpg

Luis Anaconda
04-13-2018, 08:49 AM
So isn't the conclusion that big clubs can often not take small clubs as seriously as they should but that they tend to play their best when they know the opposition is really quite good?

In which case, our name is on the trophy. :cloud9:

Yes - I was thinking of the comparison of our performances against Sutton and Lincoln in the Cup v those against Chelsea and City. Book the Lyons hotel now...

World's End Stella
04-13-2018, 08:50 AM
Jackyll and Hyde character. At least you knew where you where with the likes of Djourou and Squillachi.

Intelligence in a defender? No sensible person will put his head in where it shouldn't really be...

exhibit A
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/10/article-2653758-066A39EA0000044D-874_634x477.jpg

One of my all time favourite football moments over the last 10 years or so. :cloud9:

If I recall correctly, wasn't Terry - as the cliché goes - out before he hit the ground? :-)

Luis Anaconda
04-13-2018, 08:50 AM

exhibit A

That's cheered me right up, i. :bow:

Sir C
04-13-2018, 08:53 AM
Yes - fair point. I think we can all accept we are talking about a keeper past his prime. I would though even cut him some slack for the second - the ball clearly dipped late (would like to see it from behind the goal). I blame modern balls, sir c - was thinking that when Laca had his chance in the first half - a nice Mersonesque chip would have been perfect here, but modern players simply don't do that anymore, probably because they don't trust the ball. Sad

Exactly so, the first shot was a horrible thing to deal with. I miss proper balls, la. I miss a proper bend on a ball.

IUFG
04-13-2018, 08:56 AM
One of my all time favourite football moments over the last 10 years or so. :cloud9:

If I recall correctly, wasn't Terry - as the cliché goes - out before he hit the ground? :-)

Indeed he was. The only disappointing thing in this incident was the over-concern of Baptista.

Rich
04-13-2018, 08:56 AM

When you compare Cech to a De Gea (perhaps unfair), a Lloris or even a Pickford he looks a little cumbersome, don't you think? I would very much like Jan Oblak to join in the summer.

IUFG
04-13-2018, 08:57 AM
I miss a proper bend on a ball.

Indeed. Seem to see a lot more shots nowadays when the ball does not spin at all..?

Sir C
04-13-2018, 09:00 AM
Indeed. Seem to see a lot more shots nowadays when the ball does not spin at all..?

It's that preening ponce Ronaldo who started the fashion for the toe-punt. The problem is that with this shítty ball, it works.

You may mock my age when I yearn for a heavy leather lump with a bladder laced into it, but when you struck such a ball you knew it would go where you aimed it. The skill was in aiming it properly, not punting it into unpredictability and hoping for the best.

Burney
04-13-2018, 09:02 AM

:nod: That's a pretty basic goalkeeping drill, I'd have thought.

Sir C
04-13-2018, 09:03 AM
:nod: That's a pretty basic goalkeeping drill, I'd have thought.

Keepers spend hours and hours on it, such is the importance of making the first save and then reacting to be up for the rebound.

He's just a little on the elderly side, bless him. I'm not the sort to condemn a man for his age. For obvious reasons.

Burney
04-13-2018, 09:06 AM
Keepers spend hours and hours on it, such is the importance of making the first save and then reacting to be up for the rebound.

He's just a little on the elderly side, bless him. I'm not the sort to condemn a man for his age. For obvious reasons.

35. I'd love to be that 'elderly'. :-(

Luis Anaconda
04-13-2018, 09:07 AM
When you compare Cech to a De Gea (perhaps unfair), a Lloris or even a Pickford he looks a little cumbersome, don't you think? I would very much like Jan Oblak to join in the summer.

Yes, wouldn't disagree with that - I would very much like to sign Oblak before we play Atletico

Luis Anaconda
04-13-2018, 09:08 AM
Exactly so, the first shot was a horrible thing to deal with. I miss proper balls, la. I miss a proper bend on a ball.
:nod:
I mean - just look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u--2vzQP6KQ

Burney
04-13-2018, 09:10 AM

Think how I feel :-(

Sir C
04-13-2018, 09:13 AM
:nod:
I mean - just look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u--2vzQP6KQ

He really could peel an orange with his left foot. :cry: Dear old Chippy.

The night he limped off injured during his final season when we knew he was going to leave and the (17,000) North Bank sang, 'Don't go Brady Don't go Brady Don't go Brady Don't g!' so plaintively that grown men wept and he waved at us as if to say, 'Sorry boys, I don't have a choice.' :cry: :cry:

Sir C
04-13-2018, 09:15 AM
Think how I feel :-(

:hehe:

I considered including that gag but my finer instincts prevailed. I'm relieved you rolled it into the corner.

Burney
04-13-2018, 09:17 AM
:hehe:

I considered including that gag but my finer instincts prevailed. I'm relieved you rolled it into the corner.

A Harry Kane-esque tap-in imo.

Luis Anaconda
04-13-2018, 09:22 AM
He really could peel an orange with his left foot. :cry: Dear old Chippy.

The night he limped off injured during his final season when we knew he was going to leave and the (17,000) North Bank sang, 'Don't go Brady Don't go Brady Don't go Brady Don't g!' so plaintively that grown men wept and he waved at us as if to say, 'Sorry boys, I don't have a choice.' :cry: :cry:
I still feel sad now - I only ever got to see him play for West Ham :cry:

Burney
04-13-2018, 09:24 AM

:nod: Me too. He did viciously elbow someone in the face right in front of me and only got a yellow card, though. :hehe:

Sir C
04-13-2018, 09:25 AM

I got two and a half seasons. He really was all we had. The only magic in the place.

When he left we had to rely on Rixy for the special moments. I shall say no more.

PSRB
04-13-2018, 09:29 AM

:hehe: :stanchion:

PSRB
04-13-2018, 09:31 AM
It's that preening ponce Ronaldo who started the fashion for the toe-punt. The problem is that with this shítty ball, it works.

You may mock my age when I yearn for a heavy leather lump with a bladder laced into it, but when you struck such a ball you knew it would go where you aimed it. The skill was in aiming it properly, not punting it into unpredictability and hoping for the best.

When I were a lad, if you toe-punted the ball (and even if you scored) you were derided by both your own players, as well as the opposition

Burney
04-13-2018, 09:35 AM
I got two and a half seasons. He really was all we had. The only magic in the place.

When he left we had to rely on Rixy for the special moments. I shall say no more.

The less said about Rixy and his 'special moments' the better imo. :shakehead:

Viva Prat Vegas
04-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Rixy was never the same after that penalty miss/save
Tried too hard instead of using simple balls
Lost the ball once at OT due to ponsing about with it
United scored
Don Howe said he tried to Fancy Dan it

SWv2
04-13-2018, 10:09 AM
Rixy was never the same after that penalty miss/save
Tried too hard instead of using simple balls
Lost the ball once at OT due to ponsing about with it
United scored
Don Howe said he tried to Fancy Dan it

And he was a nonce.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-13-2018, 10:10 AM
I think criticism of Cech for those two goals is a tad harsh
First one he got down to ground level very well enough
2nd was pushed out to the side from a hard shot

Viva Prat Vegas
04-13-2018, 10:11 AM
He only became a nonce when he went to Chelsea
No ill-feelings when with with us
Crap mullet perm with us though

Viva Prat Vegas
04-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Any idea who Brady gave the elbow to ?

Sir C
04-13-2018, 10:14 AM
He only became a nonce when he went to Chelsea
No ill-feelings when with with us
Crap mullet perm with us though

That was no mullet perm, s. That was a bubble perm. That was why we called him 'Bubbles', remember?

Viva Prat Vegas
04-13-2018, 10:18 AM
He fell for the 'fashion' from about 82 to 87
Short at the sides and long at the back

His straight haired Valencia penalty miss 'look' was OK though

Burney
04-13-2018, 10:27 AM
Any idea who Brady gave the elbow to ?

None at all, I'm afraid. It was at Upton Park. 88-89 season. West Ham were playing some bunch of no-marks or another.

I watched a bunch of West Ham games that year with a West Ham mate on the understanding he'd reciprocate by coming to Highbury.

This meant we got to experience an unsuccessful relegation battle and a league win in the same season. Doesn't get better than that imo.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-13-2018, 10:31 AM
Both ends of the spectrum
Niiiiice
Especially as you/we were at the right end
:clpud9:

Burney
04-13-2018, 10:33 AM
Both ends of the spectrum
Niiiiice
Especially as you/we were at the right end
:clpud9:

:nod: Of course the scousers tried to ruin it by murdering their own fans, but even that couldn't put a damper on it.

Viva Prat Vegas
04-13-2018, 10:37 AM
At one stage I did wonder if the league would be cancelled with a month to go which would have been typical Arsenal luck
:-(

As George Graham said in his programme notes for the Mayday Norwich game
"There is a time for mourning and a time for going back to work"
Something like that

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-13-2018, 11:35 AM

Mustafi was sleeping. I'd say ball watching but he wasn't even doing that.

SWv2
04-13-2018, 12:00 PM
Mustafi was sleeping. I'd say ball watching but he wasn't even doing that.

Mustafi is of course a German international defender but increasingly he looks a little less than what one may come to expect from a German international defender.

IUFG
04-16-2018, 07:55 AM
Mustafi is of course a German international defender but increasingly he looks a little less than what one may come to expect from a German international defender.

Mustafi again.

another shítbucket of a performance from him.

How the fúck has he got international caps? For Germany?

redgunamo
04-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Mustafi again.

another shítbucket of a performance from him.

How the fúck has he got international caps? For Germany?

Different matter entirely, playing for Germany; their team is usually greater than the sum of its parts and it is generally stronger than whomever it is they're playing, in any case. It's not so much about individuals or individuals' performances.

I imagine our performances will massively improve next season anyway.

Tony C
04-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Fwiw I felt at various points yesterday Xhaka found his level.

Sadly can’t see him getting back to his Budesliga form while in England.

Hopefully we can get a deal done for him in the summer...maybe even take a sizeable loss. Hopefully both parties can admit it hasn’t worked out and move on quickly.

I got no idea what happened to him. When he arrived he seemed to tick all the boxes ie aggressive midfield enforcer with potential to captain the side but he’s really struggled.

Tony C
04-16-2018, 01:13 PM
The Dixon quotes the other week were interested..said he’d spoken to Gary Neville about Mustafi (Valencia link)

Apparently Neville said Valencia couldn’t give him away and then Arsenal waltz in with a £35m bid so they gift wrapped him and sent him on his way :shrug:

Peter
04-16-2018, 01:17 PM
The Dixon quotes the other week were interested..said he’d spoken to Gary Neville about Mustafi (Valencia link)

Apparently Neville said Valencia couldn’t give him away and then Arsenal waltz in with a £35m bid so they gift wrapped him and sent him on his way :shrug:

And that is Gary Neville- an authority on everything and somebody who never, ever talks ****.

I think Mustafi would be excellent in a proper defence under a manager who cared about/knew about such things...... our current side could make Baresi look useless.

The defending for Southampton's first goal last week was hilarious :)

PSRB
04-16-2018, 01:39 PM
Fwiw I felt at various points yesterday Xhaka found his level.

Sadly can’t see him getting back to his Budesliga form while in England.

Hopefully we can get a deal done for him in the summer...maybe even take a sizeable loss. Hopefully both parties can admit it hasn’t worked out and move on quickly.

I got no idea what happened to him. When he arrived he seemed to tick all the boxes ie aggressive midfield enforcer with potential to captain the side but he’s really struggled.

What? He's been excellent for the last 7 or 8 matches. Was also good again yesterday. This is now the player I thought we'd signed