PDA

View Full Version : AC/DC- proper rock and roll.

Peter
04-10-2018, 03:58 PM
That is all, you ****ers :)

Sir C
04-10-2018, 03:59 PM

Squealer. There's a record that wouldn't get made today.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-10-2018, 04:01 PM

it since first div football in the mental seventies. Let There Be Rock!

Peter
04-10-2018, 04:03 PM

I was stunned to find out that Back in Black is the second biggest selling album of all time. Unbelievable......

Not that it isnt ****ing great but still....

Peter
04-10-2018, 04:04 PM
Squealer. There's a record that wouldn't get made today.

Clearly there are some serious issues around their references to women but **** that...... who really gives a toss, aside from a few ugly chicks :)

Peter
04-10-2018, 04:19 PM

Christ, I see what you mean....that is dangerously loopy. :)

World's End Stella
04-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Highway to Hell
TNT
Hells Bells
etc

Quality

Herbert Augustus Chapman
04-10-2018, 04:48 PM
Christ, I see what you mean....that is dangerously loopy. :)

it ain't in some kind of smart arsed 'ironic' way - they fackin' well love 'em!

Find 'Whole Lotta Rosie' - madness

Peter
04-11-2018, 10:11 AM
it ain't in some kind of smart arsed 'ironic' way - they fackin' well love 'em!

Find 'Whole Lotta Rosie' - madness

THe numbers as well..... theremust be 200 thousand there.

SWv2
04-11-2018, 12:28 PM

Not for me though I can appreciate the somewhat prolonged and dramatic opening of Hells Bells.

7sisters
04-11-2018, 01:23 PM
Not for me though I can appreciate the somewhat prolonged and dramatic opening of Hells Bells.

It's the 70's school stigma attachment for me. Let's face it, anyone into that sort of noise was brill at maths and physics.. On the flip side, they were also socially awkward, nerdy, and largely considered weird by the top babes in the year; so never really got a look in.

Peter
04-11-2018, 02:13 PM
It's the 70's school stigma attachment for me. Let's face it, anyone into that sort of noise was brill at maths and physics.. On the flip side, they were also socially awkward, nerdy, and largely considered weird by the top babes in the year; so never really got a look in.

Back in Black has sold more than 50 million copies worldwide and is the second biggest selling album of all time.

I think it is safe to say that the appeal has broadened beyond a few geeks who were good at maths.

That said, you have a point :)

World's End Stella
04-11-2018, 03:39 PM
Back in Black has sold more than 50 million copies worldwide and is the second biggest selling album of all time.

I think it is safe to say that the appeal has broadened beyond a few geeks who were good at maths.

That said, you have a point :)

I loved AC DC when I was 17. :-(

Peter
04-11-2018, 03:57 PM
I loved AC DC when I was 17. :-(

And it turns out you were right to do so.

How is your maths? :)

World's End Stella
04-11-2018, 04:00 PM
And it turns out you were right to do so.

How is your maths? :)

I have a degree in nuclear physics. :-(

Peter
04-11-2018, 04:11 PM
I have a degree in nuclear physics. :-(

Textbook :)

Did you have AC/DC written on your lab coat?

SWv2
04-12-2018, 10:21 AM
Textbook :)

Did you have AC/DC written on your lab coat?

Probably Rush imo.

I saw Rush once.

:-\

Peter
04-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Probably Rush imo.

I saw Rush once.

:-\

Really?

You will be quite well versed in Ac/Dc I would imagine. THey were an almost constant presence on the jukebox in the Queen's Head in Tunrpike Lane. I pretty much got to kn ow that album from drinking in there.

SWv2
04-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Really?

You will be quite well versed in Ac/Dc I would imagine. THey were an almost constant presence on the jukebox in the Queen's Head in Tunrpike Lane. I pretty much got to kn ow that album from drinking in there.

Yes, I had 2 older brothers who were very much steeped in “rock” so it would have been a constant factor in my youth – Lizzy, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Rainbow, Rush and then lesser lights such as Blackfoot, Molly Hatchett.

The Rush exposure came not long after I moved to London in 87 and was living in Finchley Central, they were playing Wembley Arena and I went along with another lad I lived with, him a fan and me just being kind.

It was a truly awful venue from memory and in general a long evening.

Queens Head would have had a lot of AC/DC as you say and I seem to recall a lot of Metallica and Faith No More.

Peter
04-12-2018, 10:37 AM
Yes, I had 2 older brothers who were very much steeped in “rock” so it would have been a constant factor in my youth – Lizzy, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Rainbow, Rush and then lesser lights such as Blackfoot, Molly Hatchett.

The Rush exposure came not long after I moved to London in 87 and was living in Finchley Central, they were playing Wembley Arena and I went along with another lad I lived with, him a fan and me just being kind.

It was a truly awful venue from memory and in general a long evening.

Queens Head would have had a lot of AC/DC as you say and I seem to recall a lot of Metallica and Faith No More.

Wembley Arena isnt great. THe onlyoneI have been to thatis worse is probably Earls Court. Oh, and HydePark is a complete waste of time as you can't hear a thing.

Queens Headwas a rock boozer. They used to have a band in there most weekends that did almost exclusively DeepPurple covers. They werent bad....

SWv2
04-12-2018, 10:40 AM
Wembley Arena isnt great. THe onlyoneI have been to thatis worse is probably Earls Court. Oh, and HydePark is a complete waste of time as you can't hear a thing.

Queens Headwas a rock boozer. They used to have a band in there most weekends that did almost exclusively DeepPurple covers. They werent bad....

I saw U2 in Earls Court, freebie tickets. Now I am not a fan there either but I could appreciate them being as big as they are.

I loved the QH, back room where the pool tables were, so dark as to hide many a sin. Good and loud also. No idea how I did it on reflection, an afternoon in the pub on whatever trip we had. Surely better to just sit indoors and hide.

Sir C
04-12-2018, 10:45 AM

Earls Court was OK if you were down the front or in the corporate hospitality. Wembley Arena was, and remains, appalling. Indeed, it's reason for me not to book, even someone I desperately want to see.

The problem with Hyde Park isn't Hyde Park, it's the ridiculously low maximum noise levels applied by the Elf and Safety brigade. You're not allowed to hear rock music as it should be heard any more, lest it trigger your earlobes or something.

SWv2
04-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Earls Court was OK if you were down the front or in the corporate hospitality. Wembley Arena was, and remains, appalling. Indeed, it's reason for me not to book, even someone I desperately want to see.

The problem with Hyde Park isn't Hyde Park, it's the ridiculously low maximum noise levels applied by the Elf and Safety brigade. You're not allowed to hear rock music as it should be heard any more, lest it trigger your earlobes or something.

A rational I employ with respect to gigs in the O2. Not so much that the venue is awful as by all accounts it is excellent, I just don't like the massiveness of it.

So far my policy has only really caused me issues with The Waterboys and Roger Waters.

Sir C
04-12-2018, 10:53 AM
A rational I employ with respect to gigs in the O2. Not so much that the venue is awful as by all accounts it is excellent, I just don't like the massiveness of it.

So far my policy has only really caused me issues with The Waterboys and Roger Waters.

I can cope with 'big' if I have to, but Earls Court... bleeeurgh. I remember sitting back in the middle for a Van Morrison show once where I heard the sound once from the speakers and then again half a second later as it bounced off the back wall, making the whole thing a cacophony of nonsense. Dreadful place.

Pat Vegas
04-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Angus looks weird though imo

SWv2
04-12-2018, 10:58 AM

Did you see the picture of him coming out of Malcolm's funeral?

:-(

Burney
04-12-2018, 11:10 AM

The pension-age bloke who has spent his entire adult professional life wearing a school uniform 'looks a bit weird' you say?

Well I never.

Burney
04-12-2018, 11:10 AM
I can cope with 'big' if I have to

Obligatory 'so can your mum'.

Peter
04-12-2018, 12:45 PM
I can cope with 'big' if I have to, but Earls Court... bleeeurgh. I remember sitting back in the middle for a Van Morrison show once where I heard the sound once from the speakers and then again half a second later as it bounced off the back wall, making the whole thing a cacophony of nonsense. Dreadful place.

Precisely the issue I had there. I saw the Eagles (it was free) and you literally couldn't hear anything but echoes. It was ludicrous.

If I had paid to sit through that I would have been fuming.

Peter
04-12-2018, 12:48 PM

I will never go to a gig at Hyde Park again. That Springsteen show was beyond absurd. You had to shush people around you even from whispering because nobody could hear a ****ing thing. When they pulled the plug at the end because he was beyond curfew, I didnt even notice, I just thought it had got a bit quieter.

Never, ever again.