PDA

View Full Version : glw away tonight. I've got some pork belly, was going to make me some sweet banh mi.

Sir C
04-06-2018, 03:16 PM
However, I lack suitable bread. I have therefore decided to substitute chips for bread in my new creation, a sort of fusion banh mi / poutine mash up.

Burney
04-06-2018, 03:21 PM
However, I lack suitable bread. I have therefore decided to substitute chips for bread in my new creation, a sort of fusion banh mi / poutine mash up.

Hong Shao Ru? Or are you doing it another way?

SWv2
04-06-2018, 03:24 PM

Or pork belly and chips?

Sir C
04-06-2018, 03:25 PM
Hong Shao Ru? Or are you doing it another way?

Yes, I thought I'd make a bed of chips, then layer on the hong shao ru and associated juice, another layer of chips, then the pickled carrots, onions and coriander, topped with mayonnaise.

I'm going to die, aren't I?

Sir C
04-06-2018, 03:25 PM

Or pork belly and chips?

:nono: Far from it, sw. It will contain all the elements of a banh mi save the bread.

Burney
04-06-2018, 03:28 PM
Yes, I thought I'd make a bed of chips, then layer on the hong shao ru and associated juice, another layer of chips, then the pickled carrots, onions and coriander, topped with mayonnaise.

I'm going to die, aren't I?

It sounds a bit insane. The vegetables and the chips are incongruous bedfellows. Surely you will simply have soggy chips?

Sir C
04-06-2018, 03:31 PM
It sounds a bit insane. The vegetables and the chips are incongruous bedfellows. Surely you will simply have soggy chips?

Perhaps. It's a chance I'm prepared to take. Chaps out here on the culinary edge must live a little dangerously, so that we may make new discoveries to hand down to the likes of you, living your warm, safe, comfortable lives.

Consider also the effect of crunchy pickled vegetables on chips. Chips? With crunch? And vinegar? HOW BAD IS THAT?

Burney
04-06-2018, 03:34 PM
Perhaps. It's a chance I'm prepared to take. Chaps out here on the culinary edge must live a little dangerously, so that we may make new discoveries to hand down to the likes of you, living your warm, safe, comfortable lives.

Consider also the effect of crunchy pickled vegetables on chips. Chips? With crunch? And vinegar? HOW BAD IS THAT?

I can see that you're hoping for a sort of patatje oorlog thing, but with bits of pork. I just don't want all the pickle juice to make it go wrong for you.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez

Are you able to make decent chips?

I'm assuming that you have a deep fat fryer?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez

Or pork belly and chips?

Or simply bacon and chips?

Sir C
04-06-2018, 03:35 PM
Are you able to make decent chips?

I'm assuming that you have a deep fat fryer?

:nod: Twice fried. None of this triple fry nonsense. Unnecessary. An affectation.

Deep fat fryers are the títs. Just remember to chuck the fúcking thing in the bin when it gets all manky and get a new one. They're about 30 quid, for fúck's sake!

SWv2
04-06-2018, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=SWv2;4204845]

:nono: Far from it, sw. It will contain all the elements of a banh mi save the bread.

I had Char Sui for lunch yesterday and Sushi today.

Now I don't want to go into stereotyping as we both know that is your area, but I wasn't 5 minutes out of the place today and I was contemplating a Mars bar.

SWv2
04-06-2018, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=SWv2;4204845]

Or simply bacon and chips?

He is a card carrying food gay ABS, you and I both know it.

Sir C
04-06-2018, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=Sir C;4204848]

I had Char Sui for lunch yesterday and Sushi today.

Now I don't want to go into stereotyping as we both know that is your area, but I wasn't 5 minutes out of the place today and I was contemplating a Mars bar.

Your genetic racism is showing, sw. But I think you make a good point. Chinamen of all descriptions in their natural environment don't really sit down to three meals a day. They sort of graze continually, perhaps because rice and shít isn't particularly satisfying.

They want a rake of spuds, that's what.

Burney
04-06-2018, 03:40 PM
:nod: Twice fried. None of this triple fry nonsense. Unnecessary. An affectation.

Deep fat fryers are the títs. Just remember to chuck the fúcking thing in the bin when it gets all manky and get a new one. They're about 30 quid, for fúck's sake!

I actually cleaned mine the other day. It comes apart and you can chuck everything bar the heating element in the dishwasher.

Needless to say, it was still filthy after two intensive cycles and I had to take the Brillo pad to it.

I should have just chucked it.

SWv2
04-06-2018, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=SWv2;4204859]

Your genetic racism is showing, sw. But I think you make a good point. Chinamen of all descriptions in their natural environment don't really sit down to three meals a day. They sort of graze continually, perhaps because rice and shít isn't particularly satisfying.

Had to use chopsticks as well.

Wee ****s.

Burney
04-06-2018, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=SWv2;4204859]

You don't want to be imitating Chinamen, that's for sure. I heard they do Mineral Water-flavoured Pringles the other day.

Although I might have dreamt that. :rubchin:

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-06-2018, 03:44 PM

I lived on shoving crap in the deep fat fryer when I was at uni. Findus crispy pancakes and crinkle cut chips :food:

These days the DFF is a very occasional use item, maybe twice a year at the very most and I suspect that we have not used ours for years...... Says the guy making sausage rolls tonight

Burney
[QUOTE=Sir C;4204861]

Had to use chopsticks as well.

Wee ****s.

You have to admire their stubbornness, though, don't you? Despite the manifest superiority of the fork, they persist with the absurdly impractical chopsticks.

Sir C
I actually cleaned mine the other day. It comes apart and you can chuck everything bar the heating element in the dishwasher.

Needless to say, it was still filthy after two intensive cycles and I had to take the Brillo pad to it.

I should have just chucked it.

:nod: Once a year. 30 quid a year to save yourself a load of plutz and aggravation. It's a bargain.

Sir C
04-06-2018, 03:45 PM
I lived on shoving crap in the deep fat fryer when I was at uni. Findus crispy pancakes and crinkle cut chips :food:

These days the DFF is a very occasional use item, maybe twice a year at the very most and I suspect that we have not used ours for years...... Says the guy making sausage rolls tonight

Are you some sort of health freak, a?

Sir C
04-06-2018, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=Alberto Balsam Rodriguez;4204857]

He is a card carrying food gay ABS, you and I both know it.

I'm not the fúcker who orders star anise on his bacon sandwiches.

SWv2
04-06-2018, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=SWv2;4204860]

I'm not the fúcker who orders star anise on his bacon sandwiches.

I will punch you in the face one day.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
04-06-2018, 03:53 PM
Are you some sort of health freak, a?

Not at all, c.

I'm a decent cook but have never really mastered the humble chip. Plus, the effort involved in making them... I can just nip out and get some for £1.50 from the local chip shop.

Pizzas, burgers, curry, lasagna, other bread and pasta products are among my favourites. Hence why I cycle and lift like hell.

Sir C
04-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Not at all, c.

I'm a decent cook but have never really mastered the humble chip. Plus, the effort involved in making them... I can just nip out and get some for £1.50 from the local chip shop.

Pizzas, burgers, curry, lasagna, other bread and pasta products are among my favourites. Hence why I cycle and lift like hell.

Good man. I heartily recommend taking the time to master the chip, though. Simple when you're used to it and so much better than limp, greasy chip shop chips.