PDA

View Full Version : Most underrated band of all time?

Sir C
04-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Easy. The Band.

Most underrated song of all time? The Band's 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down', obviously.

This makes me thing of Skynyrd. This convinces me that The South will rise again.

Burney
04-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Easy. The Band.

Most underrated song of all time? The Band's 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down', obviously.

This makes me thing of Skynyrd. This convinces me that The South will rise again.

Yeah. There are no good songs about the boring old Union side. I’d definitely have been a keen Confederate. And not just because of the opportunities for whuppin’ slaves, drinking Mint Juleps and saying things like ‘Ah do declayuh..’ while wearing preposterous facial hair.

Sir C
04-05-2018, 01:13 PM
Yeah. There are no good songs about the boring old Union side. I’d definitely have been a keen Confederate. And not just because of the opportunities for whuppin’ slaves, drinking Mint Juleps and saying things like ‘Ah do declayuh..’ while wearing preposterous facial hair.

I deffo want one of they big ol' houses with the columns and the trees with stuff hanging off them and the mournful singin' of the slaves in the twilight and have that one shaved and washed and brought to my rooms.

Burney
04-05-2018, 01:19 PM
I deffo want one of they big ol' houses with the columns and the trees with stuff hanging off them and the mournful singin' of the slaves in the twilight and have that one shaved and washed and brought to my rooms.

:nod: Absolutely. To be honest, though, have you ever been to the southern United States? It’s brutally, inhumanly hot and humid. If I found myself living there (which the good lord forbid) I would find myself tremendously keen on a system that involved black chaps having to do all the moving about and working instead of me. Of course, one would have to find the energy to flog the *******s once in a while, but you’d wait until the sun had gone down.

Sir C
04-05-2018, 01:25 PM
:nod: Absolutely. To be honest, though, have you ever been to the southern United States? It’s brutally, inhumanly hot and humid. If I found myself living there (which the good lord forbid) I would find myself tremendously keen on a system that involved black chaps having to do all the moving about and working instead of me. Of course, one would have to find the energy to flog the *******s once in a while, but you’d wait until the sun had gone down.

Yes, it has been my dubious pleasure to experience the humidity of Florida, and once the extreme heat of Nevada and Arizona. I suppose I'm really thinking of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, that sort of area, aren't I? Must get out there and take a peek sometime. I wonder if there's a Lynyrd Skynyrd memorial route one might follow.

Burney
04-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Yes, it has been my dubious pleasure to experience the humidity of Florida, and once the extreme heat of Nevada and Arizona. I suppose I'm really thinking of Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, that sort of area, aren't I? Must get out there and take a peek sometime. I wonder if there's a Lynyrd Skynyrd memorial route one might follow.

Surely the Lynrd Sknyrd Memorial Route would involve plummeting to earth from 20,000 ft?

World's End Stella
04-05-2018, 01:31 PM

A late night walk on the plantation that inevitably leads to the huts wherein lie a few bedding wenches. That sort of thing?

Sir C
04-05-2018, 01:32 PM
Surely the Lynrd Sknyrd Memorial Route would involve plummeting to earth from 20,000 ft?

:-( Poor Ronnie.

Burney
04-05-2018, 01:33 PM
A late night walk on the plantation that inevitably leads to the huts wherein lie a few bedding wenches. That sort of thing?

Oh, naturally. The population of ‘High Yallers’ isn’t going to sustain itself otherwise, is it?

World's End Stella
04-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Oh, naturally. The population of ‘High Yallers’ isn’t going to sustain itself otherwise, is it?

That was my favourite part of Roots (just ahead of Kunta having his foot chopped after declining the alternative of being neutered).

Kunta trying to get his leg over only to be told 'Kunta, I'm the massah's bedding wench, any baby come outa me gotta be brown!'

:hehe:

Luis Anaconda
04-05-2018, 01:37 PM

I'm just picturing you in a Yosemite Sam outfit now - worrying thing is, I can see it suiting you

Peter
04-05-2018, 01:38 PM

Funnily enough, Skynyrd werent from Alabama. They were from Florida.

Similarly, I think only one member of the The Band was from the South.

We have had a lot of talk of the Confederacy today, including Herb quoting Nathan Bedford Forrest...most encouraging.

By the way, the most underrated band by you is The Stones.

Sir C
04-05-2018, 01:43 PM
Funnily enough, Skynyrd werent from Alabama. They were from Florida.

Similarly, I think only one member of the The Band was from the South.

We have had a lot of talk of the Confederacy today, including Herb quoting Nathan Bedford Forrest...most encouraging.

By the way, the most underrated band by you is The Stones.

Jacksonville, yes. For some reason I'm thinking of Steve Gaines being from Oklahoma... could be wrong.

Surely Robbie and Levon are Canadian?

Maybe I've just got a blind spot when it comes to the Stones; I'm 53 now, nothing's going to change until, following the blessed release of sweet, sweet death, my flesh is turned to corruption and I pass beyond this suffering. Then you'll see a change.

SWv2
04-05-2018, 01:44 PM
:-( Poor Ronnie.

I was reading just last evening that LS are heading out on what will be a farewell tour.

Sir C
04-05-2018, 01:45 PM
I was reading just last evening that LS are heading out on what will be a farewell tour.

It's just not the same now. Johnny is no Ronnie, for starters.

Peter
04-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Jacksonville, yes. For some reason I'm thinking of Steve Gaines being from Oklahoma... could be wrong.

Surely Robbie and Levon are Canadian?

Maybe I've just got a blind spot when it comes to the Stones; I'm 53 now, nothing's going to change until, following the blessed release of sweet, sweet death, my flesh is turned to corruption and I pass beyond this suffering. Then you'll see a change.

Levon is from Arkansas- a southern boy.

I always though Dead Flowers could have been by The Band. A homage, perhaps?

Skynyrd were good but....... there is something missing there, somewhere. Something short of greatness.

Tony C
04-05-2018, 02:50 PM
Wyld Stallyns imo

Luis Anaconda
04-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Wyld Stallyns imo

:hehe: I was watching that just the other day - still a great film

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
04-06-2018, 06:53 AM
Easy. The Band.

I have Music From Big Pink on vinyl, haven't played it in 25 years. Your post has just reminded me that I should chuck it in the bin :thumbup:

barrybueno
04-06-2018, 09:40 AM
Easy. The Band.

The Monkees. Close thread imo

SWv2
04-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Surprised nobody has stepped forward here to suggest The Style Council.

A brilliant band with some superb singles for public consumption yet a band maligned and in some places hated for no reason other than they weren't The Jam

04-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Surprised nobody has stepped forward here to suggest The Style Council.

A brilliant band with some superb singles for public consumption yet a band maligned and in some places hated for no reason other than they weren't The Jam

:hehe: :clap: v funny SW. They were a bit shíte really though.
https://e.snmc.io/lk/f/a/9bfa161c4727230464264fd29e93bd16/2984308.png

SWv2
04-06-2018, 10:28 AM
:hehe: :clap: v funny SW. They were a bit shíte really though.

I thought the general mood and euphoria after such a glorious European night would allow me to slip this in virtually un-noticed.

:-\

However I stand by my comments.

Speak Like A Child, Ever Changing Moods, Long Hot Summer, Shout to the Top, Walls Come Tumbling Down, Have You Ever Had It Blue. Each a classic and I defy you to not dance around your kitchen when they are playing.

So, in summary.

:vsign:

04-06-2018, 10:37 AM
I thought the general mood and euphoria after such a glorious European night would allow me to slip this in virtually un-noticed.

:-\

However I stand by my comments.

Speak Like A Child, Ever Changing Moods, Long Hot Summer, Shout to the Top, Walls Come Tumbling Down, Have You Ever Had It Blue. Each a classic and I defy you to not dance around your kitchen when they are playing.

So, in summary.

:vsign:

I loved, adored, worshiped etc etc The Jam. Weller's reinvention as a smoothie/soulboy made me :puke: copiously back then and I'm afraid time has done them no favours at all. Some of his solo stuff (including latter day) is alright, mind :D

SWv2
04-06-2018, 10:42 AM
I loved, adored, worshiped etc etc The Jam. Weller's reinvention as a smoothie/soulboy made me :puke: copiously back then and I'm afraid time has done them no favours at all. Some of his solo stuff (including latter day) is alright, mind :D

Do you want a fight?

04-06-2018, 10:43 AM
Do you want a fight?

:rolleyes: typical Irisher.