PDA

View Full Version : The glw has requested gnocchi for dinner.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 12:27 PM
With pesto. Now I rather like gnocchi with pesto, but it's not exactly what you'd call a meal, is it? I mean, it's spuds, but without meat and veg.

What do you serve with your gnocchi to make a proper dinner?

World's End Stella
03-28-2018, 12:32 PM
With pesto. Now I rather like gnocchi with pesto, but it's not exactly what you'd call a meal, is it? I mean, it's spuds, but without meat and veg.

Crsipy fried lardons sprinkled on top and throughout with ciabatta and a fresh salad on the side should cover it.

IUFG
03-28-2018, 12:37 PM

I don't.

Italian food is as bland as fúck, sc

SWv2
03-28-2018, 12:38 PM

Waste of potatoes to be honest, and pesto.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 12:40 PM
I don't.

Italian food is as bland as fúck, sc

Bland? Bland? What of the porchetta, the bistecca alla fiorentina, the lasagna al forno, the vitello Milanese, THE SPAG BOL FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Sir C
03-28-2018, 12:42 PM
Waste of potatoes to be honest, and pesto.

Oh look, here we go, Mr Potatohead steams in, elbows swinging with his tubercentric bigotries.

One suspects you would like to see a rake of spuds boiled for 40 minutes and then slopped onto your plate, entirely unadorned.

Have you discovered plates yet?

Sir C
03-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Crsipy fried lardons sprinkled on top and throughout with ciabatta and a fresh salad on the side should cover it.

1. I had lardons in my tartiflette last night.
2. I've got no ciabatta
3. It's March and it's grey and pissing down. What do I want with salad?
4. Thank you for this incredibly useful response.

IUFG
03-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Bland? Bland? What of the porchetta, the bistecca alla fiorentina, the lasagna al forno, the vitello Milanese, THE SPAG BOL FOR GOD'S SAKE!

exactly, sc.

SWv2
03-28-2018, 12:45 PM

Salad for tea.

Sweet fúcking Jesus.

World's End Stella
03-28-2018, 12:48 PM
2. I've got no ciabatta

1. You could use parma ham baked until crispy instead
2. You have a car, money and a local supermarket - get off your skinny arse
3. You don't eat salad during the grey months in England? Ever had scurvy?
4. Your mum was useful once

Peter
03-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Oh look, here we go, Mr Potatohead steams in, elbows swinging with his tubercentric bigotries.

One suspects you would like to see a rake of spuds boiled for 40 minutes and then slopped onto your plate, entirely unadorned.

Nothing wrong with a good honest spud, bro.

World's End Stella
03-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Salad for tea.

Sweet fúcking Jesus.

I can't imagine eating my BBQ roasted cote de boeuf without a side salad. It's a requirement for those of us who have gone beyond potatoes and boiled vegetables.

Not you, obviously. :rolleyes:

Pokster
03-28-2018, 12:51 PM
2. I've got no ciabatta

But you can get the best Italian ever at some bland Dubai hotel :nod:

SWv2
03-28-2018, 12:51 PM

The potato is a wonderful thing in many of its ways – the humble chip, dauphinoise and of course who does not love buttery, creamy mash.

Now why on earth would you then mix it with flour, make small frankly gay little pillows and boil them again and then toss in pesto which to be blunt would be better used with some simple pasta.

I had gnocchi once in a fancy restaurant and it was more than acceptable as they had “pan” fried it post the boiling malarkey. Every other time I have wondered why I bothered.

p.s. referring to Italian food in native Italian terms does not make it any nicer, just makes you sound like a cóck.

Pokster
03-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Salad for tea.

Sweet fúcking Jesus.

Especially when it is cold and wet outside (most of the year for you), salad is for girls and Canadians imo

Sir C
03-28-2018, 12:52 PM
I can't imagine eating my BBQ roasted cote de boeuf without a side salad. It's a requirement for those of us who have gone beyond potatoes and boiled vegetables.

Not you, obviously. :rolleyes:

You're going to stand in the pissing rain barbecuing cote de boeuf? If I were American I might be tempted to call you a weird-ass moose-fúcker.

Thank God I'm not American.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 12:54 PM
The potato is a wonderful thing in many of its ways – the humble chip, dauphinoise and of course who does not love buttery, creamy mash.

Now why on earth would you then mix it with flour, make small frankly gay little pillows and boil them again and then toss in pesto which to be blunt would be better used with some simple pasta.

I had gnocchi once in a fancy restaurant and it was more than acceptable as they had “pan” fried it post the boiling malarkey. Every other time I have wondered why I bothered.

p.s. referring to Italian food in native Italian terms does not make it any nicer, just makes you sound like a cóck.

How would you describe gnocchi without using 'native Italian terms', dicksplash? (No offence.)

Peter
03-28-2018, 12:56 PM

I cant recall ever agreeing with a post on AWIMB as much as this one.

If you didn't constantly call me Pedro and threaten to kill me we could have been great friends :)

Sir C
03-28-2018, 12:56 PM
But you can get the best Italian ever at some bland Dubai hotel :nod:

I once took a visitor from America or Canadia (whatever) to dinner at an Italian restaurant where he demanded 'spagheddi with spagheddisoss'. One imagines this is what WES spoons up from the tepid buffet selection and imagines himself quite the gourmand.

Pokster
03-28-2018, 12:58 PM
I once took a visitor from America or Canadia (whatever) to dinner at an Italian restaurant where he demanded 'spagheddi with spagheddisoss'. One imagines this is what WES spoons up from the tepid buffet selection and imagines himself quite the gourmand.

We all know that we make the best sauce, everyone's home made sauce tastes better than anything you can get elsewhere

By the way, why wouldyou choose to go to dinner with a Yank or Moose shagger (unless they were going to give you lots of money)

Peter
03-28-2018, 12:58 PM

I think you may have taken this from an episode of The Sopranos.

World's End Stella
03-28-2018, 12:59 PM
You're going to stand in the pissing rain barbecuing cote de boeuf? If I were American I might be tempted to call you a weird-ass moose-fúcker.

Thank God I'm not American.

No, this time of year I do it on the hob using a griddle pan that leaves those lovely cross marks. With a bone marrow sauce that is quite heavenly.

Still have salad, of course, because it goes so well. People who don't eat salad year round are backward imo. And probably unhealthy with bad skin and teeth.

SWv2
03-28-2018, 12:59 PM
How would you describe gnocchi without using 'native Italian terms', dicksplash? (No offence.)

Don't get lemon pal, it was more your earlier rant and your "lasagna al forno" I was laughing at.

You may impress Rich but he is not here.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 01:00 PM
I cant recall ever agreeing with a post on AWIMB as much as this one.

If you didn't constantly call me Pedro and threaten to kill me we could have been great friends :)

It's the worst post I've ever read.

1. The chip is far from humble; it is a complex creation requiring extreme cutting skills, pinpoint temperature control and split-second timing. I appreciate you take the bag out of the freezer and chuck the potato-based product into the oven, but those aren't really chips.

2. He said 'dauphinoise'. Surely using fancy foreign terms classifies him as a cók, according to his peculiar 'logic'.

3. There is no place for cream in mash. Mash is made with potatoes, butter, salt and pepper. Then a lot more butter.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 01:01 PM
We all know that we make the best sauce, everyone's home made sauce tastes better than anything you can get elsewhere

By the way, why wouldyou choose to go to dinner with a Yank or Moose shagger (unless they were going to give you lots of money)

He was an uncle of the ex. I assumed that he was rich and would cut me into the will.

:-(

Peter

1. The chip is far from humble; it is a complex creation requiring extreme cutting skills, pinpoint temperature control and split-second timing. I appreciate you take the bag out of the freezer and chuck the potato-based product into the oven, but those aren't really chips.

2. He said 'dauphinoise'. Surely using fancy foreign terms classifies him as a cók, according to his peculiar 'logic'.

3. There is no place for cream in mash. Mash is made with potatoes, butter, salt and pepper. Then a lot more butter.

Maybe. But he has a record for GBH and has threatened to kill me......I agree with him.

Sir C
don't get lemon pal, it was more your earlier rant and your "lasagna al forno" i was laughing at.

You may impress rich but he is not here.

that's what it's called!

Pokster
03-28-2018, 01:04 PM
He was an uncle of the ex. I assumed that he was rich and would cut me into the will.

:-(

He didn't, so you killed him !!!

SWv2

Creamy is merely a textural description. I am sure you were aware of this.

I will accept the dauphinoise comment but wasn't really sure what else you could call it. No ****er refers in passing to lasagna as lasagna al forno.

Only cócks.

Sir C
No, this time of year I do it on the hob using a griddle pan that leaves those lovely cross marks. With a bone marrow sauce that is quite heavenly.

Still have salad, of course, because it goes so well. People who don't eat salad year round are backward imo. And probably unhealthy with bad skin and teeth.

You want good, earthy greens to see you through the damp at this time of year. Swiss chard, cavolo nero, spinach (no cream), that sort of thing.

Lettucewánker.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Creamy is merely a textural description. I am sure you were aware of this.

I will accept the dauphinoise comment but wasn't really sure what else you could call it. No ****er refers in passing to lasagna and lasagna al forno.

Only cócks.

I accept that I have failed to write for my audience on this occasion. What I meant to say is best described in your terms as 'Aldi frozen ready Italian meal for one alla microwave'.

Burney
03-28-2018, 01:11 PM
that's what it's called!

To be fair, how else would you cook a lasagne but al forno? In a fvcking frying pan?

P.S. The last really delicious gnocchi I had was in Italy with a cream and prosciutto sauce and anointed with a wee bit of pecorino.

Burney
03-28-2018, 01:18 PM
You want good, earthy greens to see you through the damp at this time of year. Swiss chard, cavolo nero, spinach (no cream), that sort of thing.

Lettucewánker.

All early brassicae are horrible. Without exception. Kale and chard are particularly rank. You can shove them.

You need spring and summer for truly great veg, I'm afraid.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Sir C "I once took a visitor from America or Canadia (whatever) to dinner at an Italian restaurant where he demanded 'spagheddi with spagheddisoss'."

:hehe: I imagine you bit your tongue, smiled weakly and resisted the urge to do him some harm

Sir C
03-28-2018, 01:22 PM
Sir C "I once took a visitor from America or Canadia (whatever) to dinner at an Italian restaurant where he demanded 'spagheddi with spagheddisoss'."

:hehe: I imagine you bit your tongue, smiled weakly and resisted the urge to do him some harm

The guy taking our order was just bemused. I suggested our colonial chum probably meant bolognese, which just caused the bloke to explain that he couldn't offer bolognese sauce because the menu was Neapolitan... I think he ended up with polpette. The whole thing was entirely painful.

Burney
03-28-2018, 01:26 PM
The guy taking our order was just bemused. I suggested our colonial chum probably meant bolognese, which just caused the bloke to explain that he couldn't offer bolognese sauce because the menu was Neapolitan... I think he ended up with polpette. The whole thing was entirely painful.

Spageddi wid meadballs? They love that, your yanqui. Did you also ask that the chef put half a bottle of ketchup and a half pound of sugar into the sauce and overcook the spaghetti in order to ensure the true Italian-American pasta experience?

Sir C
03-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Spageddi wid meadballs? They love that, your yanqui. Did you also ask that the chef put half a bottle of ketchup and a half pound of sugar into the sauce and overcook the spaghetti in order to ensure the true Italian-American pasta experience?

I'll never forget the way he said 'spagheddisoss'. It perfectly encapsulated the enormity of the ignorance of the North American / Irishman.

Burney
03-28-2018, 01:36 PM
I'll never forget the way he said 'spagheddisoss'. It perfectly encapsulated the enormity of the ignorance of the North American / Irishman.

I don’t know about you, old chap, but I’m rather saddened that WES has not yet weighed in to tell us that some of the best pasta he’s ever had was in New York. :-(

Sir C
03-28-2018, 01:38 PM
I don’t know about you, old chap, but I’m rather saddened that WES has not yet weighed in to tell us that some of the best pasta he’s ever had was in New York. :-(

:nod: Probably accompanying one of those mushy 'steaks' he admires so much.

Peter
03-28-2018, 01:42 PM

I had pasta in New York, down in a lovely little restaurant in little Italy.

It was ****ing revolting :(

Pat Vegas
03-28-2018, 01:50 PM

Even worse they use the terms and pronounce them wrong.
Even Gordon Ramsay says it wrong.

Burney
03-28-2018, 01:56 PM
I had pasta in New York, down in a lovely little restaurant in little Italy.

It was ****ing revolting :(

I once had a mound of unpleasant spaghetti in a restaurant in Florida. I ate about a third of it. The waiter then asked if I wanted it put in a doggy bag. :yikes: He appeared to think I wanted to take this already overcooked and unpleasant concoction home, let it congeal and then reheat it!

I almost spat in the cûnt’s eye. :furious:

Peter
03-28-2018, 01:59 PM
I once had a mound of unpleasant spaghetti in a restaurant in Florida. I ate about a third of it. The waiter then asked if I wanted it put in a doggy bag. :yikes: He appeared to think I wanted to take this already overcooked and unpleasant concoction home, let it congeal and then reheat it!

I almost spat in the cûnt’s eye. :furious:

I find it quite difficult to get excited about pasta. Even lasagne al forno

Pokster
03-28-2018, 02:02 PM

You haven't tasted sir C's sauce then............

Burney
03-28-2018, 02:02 PM

I wouldn't say I get excited about it, but sometimes it's just the perfect thing. Often you don't realise it was the perfect thing until after you've eaten it.

Peter
03-28-2018, 02:05 PM
I wouldn't say I get excited about it, but sometimes it's just the perfect thing. Often you don't realise it was the perfect thing until after you've eaten it.

Well, yes. I am not saying i dont like it. I think my standards and expectations of it are not that high. I will basically just eat it.

Pat Vegas
03-28-2018, 02:08 PM

carbonara is my favourite

Burney
03-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Well, yes. I am not saying i dont like it. I think my standards and expectations of it are not that high. I will basically just eat it.

Most of the time if you order it in bog standard Italian restaurants it's meh. But when you get a good one, it can be very, very good.

Crucially, pasta should always leave one wanting more. Even the best pasta palls after a certain point.

Burney
03-28-2018, 02:10 PM
carbonara is my favourite

Yes. Although people who put cream in it should be shot. They are worse than people who put pineapple on pizza.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Yes. Although people who put cream in it should be shot. They are worse than people who put pineapple on pizza.

I had a wonderful carbonara in a tiny enoteca halfway up a mountain in Tuscany once; a place no white man had seen before.

It contained both cream and garlic, both 'verboten' to those most ignorant of all 'cooks', the 'blinkered and dogmatic' crowd. #shotsfired

Burney
03-28-2018, 02:34 PM
I had a wonderful carbonara in a tiny enoteca halfway up a mountain in Tuscany once; a place no white man had seen before.

It contained both cream and garlic, both 'verboten' to those most ignorant of all 'cooks', the 'blinkered and dogmatic' crowd. #shotsfired

From the man who insists on food authenticity more dogmatically than any on here, that is - to say the least - a bit fvcking rich. As, I suspect, was your gloopy, garlicky, Tesco microwave-style carbonara.

IUFG
03-28-2018, 02:35 PM
From the man who insists on food authenticity more dogmatically than any on here, that is - to say the least - a bit fvcking rich. As, I suspect, was your gloopy, garlicky, Tesco microwave-style carbonara.

he loves the gloop, b

SWv2
03-28-2018, 02:36 PM
You haven't tasted sir C's sauce then............

Careful P, something pomodoro.

Sauce indeed.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 02:37 PM

How very dare you!

Burney
03-28-2018, 02:40 PM
How very dare you!

Don't dish it out if you can't take it, pal.

For the record, I hope you enjoyed your spaghetti in cream sauce. It wasn't a carbonara, though.

And to think I thought I was being heretical adding nutmeg to mine. :shakehead:

Sir C
03-28-2018, 02:44 PM
Don't dish it out if you can't take it, pal.

For the record, I hope you enjoyed your spaghetti in cream sauce. It wasn't a carbonara, though.

And to think I thought I was being heretical adding nutmeg to mine. :shakehead:

When were you appointed Chief Arbiter of Authentic Carbonara, anyway?

You could open your mind and learn about the huge and fascinating variations in Italian cuisine from region to region, village to village and house to house, or you could carry on operating under the mistaken impression that a little knowledge is a good thing.

I wonder which option you'll choose?

Peter
03-28-2018, 02:46 PM

You could open your mind and learn about the huge and fascinating variations in Italian cuisine from region to region, village to village and house to house, or you could carry on operating under the mistaken impression that a little knowledge is a good thing.

Alright, fellas. We are talking about bloody pasta here. Its hardly worth falling out over is it.....

Italian food is a bit **** anyway....

Sir C
03-28-2018, 02:48 PM
Alright, fellas. We are talking about bloody pasta here. Its hardly worth falling out over is it.....

Italian food is a bit **** anyway....

It's not the pasta, it's the principle of the thing.

Which cuisine would you say is your favourite, p?

Burney
03-28-2018, 02:48 PM

You seem very defensive, my friend. I'll bet WES's favourite chefs in Dubai use cream and garlic, too.

Peter
03-28-2018, 02:55 PM
It's not the pasta, it's the principle of the thing.

Which cuisine would you say is your favourite, p?

At its best, probably Hakka. There is this crispy noodle dish I crave almost all the time. And a tempura crab you just cant do properly here.

But then I do love Indian food as well.

Ooh, this is a tricky one....I'm bloody hungry now.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 02:57 PM
At its best, probably Hakka. There is this crispy noodle dish I crave almost all the time. And a tempura crab you just cant do properly here.

But then I do love Indian food as well.

Ooh, this is a tricky one....I'm bloody hungry now.

You should acquaint yourself with Dutch food, p. The wide variety of subtle, delicate flavours will excite your tastebuds like no other cuisine.

IUFG
03-28-2018, 03:14 PM
You should acquaint yourself with Dutch food, p. The wide variety of subtle, delicate flavours will excite your tastebuds like no other cuisine.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/FEBO_food_vending_machine.JPG/800px-FEBO_food_vending_machine.JPG

Peter
03-28-2018, 03:14 PM

I had some form of fishy omelette thing in amsterdam once. It wasnt great....

Sir C
03-28-2018, 03:16 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/02/FEBO_food_vending_machine.JPG/800px-FEBO_food_vending_machine.JPG

Exactly, i. :cloud9:

IUFG
03-28-2018, 03:19 PM
Exactly, i. :cloud9:

those little crunchy croquette things filled with mystery spicy stuff :cloud9:

Sir C
03-28-2018, 03:20 PM
I had some form of fishy omelette thing in amsterdam once. It wasnt great....

I've missed out on such a thing, other than, of course, the oyster omelette which I have savoured all over south east Asia, from Bangkok to Hong Kong.

The best one comes from a stall on that soi off Charoen Krung down the side of the Robinsons Bangrak. Opposite the roast duck place.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 03:21 PM

:cloud9: Kroketten, i. I make those, but it's a two day labour of love :eat:

SWv2
03-28-2018, 03:22 PM

I had a croquette in Barcelona a few weeks ago, burned the fúcking mouth of myself IUFG.

Angry.

Stupid, but angry.

IUFG
03-28-2018, 03:25 PM
I had a croquette in Barcelona a few weeks ago, burned the fúcking mouth of myself IUFG.

Angry.

Stupid, but angry.

one should always nibble at the corner first , sw

let out the heat.

I have sustained a similar food injury in the past. It involved a pizza, a microwave and about a gallon of strong lager beforehand

IUFG
03-28-2018, 03:29 PM
:cloud9: Kroketten, i. I make those, but it's a two day labour of love :eat:

Shirley it would be easier to fly to Schiphol and go to a Febo :shrug:

Sir C
03-28-2018, 03:32 PM
Shirley it would be easier to fly to Schiphol and go to a Febo :shrug:

It takes 45 minutes to fly from City to Schiphol, then 45 minutes to taxi to the terminal, then 2 or 3 hours for your luggage to appear.

Schiphol makes my tits ache.