PDA

View Full Version : On Saturday, I spent a frankly silly amount of money on a tweed flat cap

Burney
03-28-2018, 08:03 AM
I'm very fond of it, though. I've never really been a hat man before, but I feel an affinity for the flat cap.

Pokster
03-28-2018, 08:24 AM
I'm very fond of it, though. I've never really been a hat man before, but I feel an affinity for the flat cap.

#Northerneratheart

PSRB
03-28-2018, 08:25 AM

I like hats, but I still wear Beanies and baseball caps. I do think I need to admit my age and get something a bit more gentrified.

Burney
03-28-2018, 08:27 AM
I like hats, but I still wear Beanies and baseball caps. I do think I need to admit my age and get something a bit more gentrified.

:nod: Go full Peaky Blinders, psrb.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 08:31 AM

Very much the Irish farmer at heart, I note.

I love my fedora, of course, but I can't wear it in the rain. This displeases me.

Pokster
03-28-2018, 08:39 AM

I love my fedora, of course, but I can't wear it in the rain. This displeases me.

I don't know why, I see you in a leather cap aka Village people style...... back in 5

Burney
03-28-2018, 08:41 AM

A hat you can't wear in the rain is an entirely pointless object imo.

Pokster
03-28-2018, 08:45 AM

You might require a sun hat and a rain hat..... 2 completely different animals

Burney
03-28-2018, 08:47 AM
You might require a sun hat and a rain hat..... 2 completely different animals

But a fedora is not a sun hat.

Pokster
03-28-2018, 08:50 AM
But a fedora is not a sun hat.

It's not a hat I'd wear... you either have a hat because of it being sunny, rainy or windy..... 1 does not cover all. A fedora doesn't seem to cover any bases

World's End Stella
03-28-2018, 08:50 AM

I also have a flat cap, acquired in Hawkshead, Cumbria.

Funny, I was thinking just this morning as I stepped out of Blackfriars tube into pouring rain that all men should wear hats and a suitable, weather proof coat in the rain.

Umbrellas are for women imo.

Pokster
03-28-2018, 08:52 AM

Funny, I was thinking just this morning as I stepped out of Blackfriars tube into pouring rain that all men should wear hats and a suitable, weather proof coat in the rain.

Weather proof coat with a hood... sorted, and no chance of losing said hat.

Apart from on a golf course I can't remember using an umbrella

Sir C
03-28-2018, 08:55 AM
Weather proof coat with a hood... sorted, and no chance of losing said hat.

Apart from on a golf course I can't remember using an umbrella

You realise you have just described an *gulp* anorak, yes?

PSRB
03-28-2018, 08:57 AM

Barbour jacket with a detachable hood....I have the jacket but can't be arsed with the hood.

Living in Manchester, you need a sodding great golf umbrella!

Pokster
03-28-2018, 08:58 AM

Or parka.... I don't own an anorak :nono:

World's End Stella
03-28-2018, 08:59 AM

I have a weather proof jacket acquired at one of those Cotswolds shops. It works very well and has a hood that can be extracted in times of rain.

It never has been extracted, however, as it would look ridiculous and I have my tweed flat cap for that purpose.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Barbour jacket with a detachable hood....I have the jacket but can't be arsed with the hood.

Living in Manchester, you need a sodding great golf umbrella!

The Barbour jacket is a wonderful thing, p, and of course the first thing one does when one gets it home is defenestrate the hood.

A grown man wearing a coat with a hood, for all love. He may as well have mittens in the sleeves connected by a length of string.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 09:01 AM
I have a weather proof jacket acquired at one of those Cotswolds shops. It works very well and has a hood that can be extracted in times of rain.

It never has been extracted, however, as it would look ridiculous and I have my tweed flat cap for that purpose.

A leather bush hat, that's the thing for rain.

SWv2
03-28-2018, 09:03 AM

Just in terms of clarity and accuracy, are we talking about flat cap or baker boy style?

Burney
03-28-2018, 09:04 AM
It's not a hat I'd wear... you either have a hat because of it being sunny, rainy or windy..... 1 does not cover all. A fedora doesn't seem to cover any bases

I suppose the problem for you is that any hat you wear will look like you're trying to hide your baldyness. Like Duncan Goodhew. :-(

SWv2
The Barbour jacket is a wonderful thing, p, and of course the first thing one does when one gets it home is defenestrate the hood.

A grown man wearing a coat with a hood, for all love. He may as well have mittens in the sleeves connected by a length of string.

Me and you will have a full on fist fight one day, that I assure you.

Burney

:nod: I have a Barbour and a tweed cap. I am basically waterproof.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Me and you will have a full on fist fight one day, that I assure you.

:nono: I am afraid that rules of etiquette dictate that I may only enter into fisticuffs with another gentleman, sw. I'm sorry to disappoint you.

I'll happily have one of my chaps give you a thrashing if that suits?

Burney
03-28-2018, 09:06 AM
Just in terms of clarity and accuracy, are we talking about flat cap or baker boy style?

A flat cap. Baker boy indeed!

SWv2
03-28-2018, 09:09 AM
:nono: I am afraid that rules of etiquette dictate that I may only enter into fisticuffs with another gentleman, sw. I'm sorry to disappoint you.

I'll happily have one of my chaps give you a thrashing if that suits?

Thrashing? You clearly have no idea with whom you are dealing.

I had a record once.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 09:11 AM
Thrashing? You clearly have no idea with whom you are dealing.

I had a record once.

Kylie Moinogue's 'Locomotion'?

SWv2
03-28-2018, 09:13 AM

Grievous bodily harm. GBH.

I would take note and proceed with caution, pal. Further I would factor in a modicum of respect in all your future dealings with me.

Pal.

Sir C
03-28-2018, 09:16 AM

I would take note and proceed with caution, pal. Further I would factor in a modicum of respect in all your future dealings with me.

Pal.

This is you, isn't it? :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixFQUpLnr3E

Pokster
03-28-2018, 09:18 AM

Pal.

You should be fine, anyone that wears such an overpriced rain coat as him must be as soft as ****e

SWv2
03-28-2018, 09:25 AM
You should be fine, anyone that wears such an overpriced rain coat as him must be as soft as ****e

You see you are veering close to Northern stereotyping here P, “overpriced”.

Nothing is overpriced if the purchaser a) wants the product and b) can afford the product. We are then simply moving into the area of supply and demand, John Maynard Keynes etc.

In respect of outerwear a man should own a few different options for different weather conditions and different social circumstances.

I have a Barbour, a Belstaff, 2 x Patagonia Torrentshell, a North Face, an Albam cagoule and naturally it goes without saying a Baracuta G9 (Harrington to you and others).

Hats I have at least 4-5.

Burney
03-28-2018, 09:30 AM
You see you are veering close to Northern stereotyping here P, “overpriced”.

Nothing is overpriced if the purchaser a) wants the product and b) can afford the product. We are then simply moving into the area of supply and demand, John Maynard Keynes etc.

In respect of outerwear a man should own a few different options for different weather conditions and different social circumstances.

I have a Barbour, a Belstaff, 2 x Patagonia Torrentshell, a North Face, an Albam cagoule and naturally it goes without saying a Baracuta G9 (Harrington to you and others).

Hats I have at least 4-5.

This is a very touching defence of free market economics, sw. wd.

However, I'm not sure Keynes would be my go-to man in such a defence, since he was little better than a communist and a poofter to boot.

World's End Stella
03-28-2018, 09:30 AM

:clap:

Ooooh, well in, Charles.

Sorry SW :-(

SWv2
03-28-2018, 09:37 AM
This is a very touching defence of free market economics, sw. wd.

However, I'm not sure Keynes would be my go-to man in such a defence, since he was little better than a communist and a poofter to boot.

He is the only one I remember from O and A Level study.

His sexual preferences and deviancy was not something we were made aware of. Given I was at a CBS perhaps it was thought a touchy subject.

barrybueno
03-28-2018, 11:32 AM

One appeared in my kitchen a few weeks ago. I traced the previous night back and it was left in the pub by some **** who I'd been drinking with, I wore it all the way home! Haven't worn it since mind. :freecap:

redgunamo
03-28-2018, 04:59 PM

You've been watching too many Guy Ritchie movies, imo. NTTAWWFCs though.