PDA

View Full Version : How **** are the Dutch?

PSRB
03-26-2018, 08:41 AM
They were so poor. Not one player you'd look at think, they'll cause problems.

Sir C
03-26-2018, 08:46 AM
They were so poor. Not one player you'd look at think, they'll cause problems.

It's all terribly depressing, p. No sign of anything exciting coming through either, apparently. The KNVB are alleged to have put together a Big Plan to put things right over the next 15 years, but one doesn't have much faith in the KNVB any more.

PSRB
03-26-2018, 08:49 AM
It's all terribly depressing, p. No sign of anything exciting coming through either, apparently. The KNVB are alleged to have put together a Big Plan to put things right over the next 15 years, but one doesn't have much faith in the KNVB any more.

Young Kluivert? That does seem to be about it, though. Such a shame, grown up watching brilliant sides and knowing if you beat them, that it was a real feather in one's cap.

This side, you'd expect Scotland to give them a game!

Sir C
03-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Young Kluivert? That does seem to be about it, though. Such a shame, grown up watching brilliant sides and knowing if you beat them, that it was a real feather in one's cap.

This side, you'd expect Scotland to give them a game!

Alright, alright. There's no need to go on about it. :-(

Burney
03-26-2018, 08:54 AM
Alright, alright. There's no need to go on about it. :-(

How are we this morning?

Sir C
03-26-2018, 08:57 AM
How are we this morning?

Still sub-optimal. DON'T TELL ME ANY MORE!

SWv2
03-26-2018, 09:01 AM

Handful of players at top level clubs plus couple of very highly thought of young lads at Ajax. Situation could be a lot worse.

The clubs are very much second and maybe even third tier in Europe now, surely it’s a case of having a realistic expectation as opposed to looking back at the glory days of the 70s and 80s.

Sir C
03-26-2018, 09:05 AM
Handful of players at top level clubs plus couple of very highly thought of young lads at Ajax. Situation could be a lot worse.

The clubs are very much second and maybe even third tier in Europe now, surely it’s a case of having a realistic expectation as opposed to looking back at the glory days of the 70s and 80s.

Reached a world cup final in 2010. FIFA ranked no. 1 in the world in 2011. :shrug:

Burney
03-26-2018, 09:07 AM
Still sub-optimal. DON'T TELL ME ANY MORE!

I know no more. I was wondering if you'd had any more flashbacks, though.

I'm still quite impressed that you managed to racially abuse a taxi driver on a five minute journey, though. You must have virtually got into the cab, spewed hate speech at him almost immediately and then got out.

SWv2
03-26-2018, 09:10 AM
Reached a world cup final in 2010. FIFA ranked no. 1 in the world in 2011. :shrug:

This is true however I think we can both agree that the defeat will never be looked back on with the same halcyon memories and imagery of 74 and 78 or the 80s triumphs of Gullit, van Basten and Rijkaard.

Ask any person about Holland 2010 and chances are they will mention de Jong kicking your man in the head.

The FIFA rankings I have dismissed with a level of total disrespect.

Sir C
03-26-2018, 09:12 AM
I know no more. I was wondering if you'd had any more flashbacks, though.

I'm still quite impressed that you managed to racially abuse a taxi driver on a five minute journey, though. You must have virtually got into the cab, spewed hate speech at him almost immediately and then got out.

I was apparently sympathising with him as he described his Saturday night ferrying the drunks of Orpington homeward; people shouting in the street, getting in the cab without shoes, and so on. It would appear that I found this behaviour regrettable, even more so because he struck me as the kind of chap who wouldn't drink alcohol. If you see what I mean.

So I embarked on a rambling apology for what I chose to describe as, 'my culture' which allowed this sort of decadent behaviour...

I thought I was being polite and welcoming.

v was unimpressed. :-(

Sir C
03-26-2018, 09:15 AM
This is true however I think we can both agree that the defeat will never be looked back on with the same halcyon memories and imagery of 74 and 78 or the 80s triumphs of Gullit, van Basten and Rijkaard.

Ask any person about Holland 2010 and chances are they will mention de Jong kicking your man in the head.

The FIFA rankings I have dismissed with a level of total disrespect.

I'm not suggesting that the team of 2010 was comparable to the great sides of 74, 78 or 88, but there have been numerous world cup and Euro quarter finals and semi finals since the great days. The FIFA ranking were based on results, which shows that the team was significantly better than the majority of teams they played.

Peter
03-26-2018, 09:26 AM
I was apparently sympathising with him as he described his Saturday night ferrying the drunks of Orpington homeward; people shouting in the street, getting in the cab without shoes, and so on. It would appear that I found this behaviour regrettable, even more so because he struck me as the kind of chap who wouldn't drink alcohol. If you see what I mean.

So I embarked on a rambling apology for what I chose to describe as, 'my culture' which allowed this sort of decadent behaviour...

Hang on.... you were apologising for our culture?

This sounds like the sort of thing you would normally accuse the likes of me of thinking about doing.

Sir C
03-26-2018, 09:30 AM
Hang on.... you were apologising for our culture?

This sounds like the sort of thing you would normally accuse the likes of me of thinking about doing.

Yes, I am aware of that, but I was inebriated and my usually impeccable judgement was impaired.

Burney
03-26-2018, 09:35 AM

I'm unimpressed that you apologised for your culture. Cringing and kowtowing to these chaps will get you nowhere.

Sir C
03-26-2018, 09:37 AM
I'm unimpressed that you apologised for your culture. Cringing and kowtowing to these chaps will get you nowhere.

Yes but don't you see? I othered him. :-(

SWv2
03-26-2018, 09:38 AM
I'm not suggesting that the team of 2010 was comparable to the great sides of 74, 78 or 88, but there have been numerous world cup and Euro quarter finals and semi finals since the great days. The FIFA ranking were based on results, which shows that the team was significantly better than the majority of teams they played.

The perhaps generous FIFA ranking in 2011 which you quote will have been massively enhanced by the WC final defeat the year before you allude to.

I have actually just googled the current rankings (for shame) and I note the Netherlands currently at 21, one place behind the Wales and 3 ahead of Northern Ireland, both of who are surely enjoying a bounce from performances in the Euros two years ago.

There is not a single Dutch player at what may be termed an elite club, well there is in Arjen Robben but I assume he has retired from the national side. The other top class players who spring to mind such as Sneijder or van Persie are surely close to retirement though I have enjoyed the latter’s recent renaissance at Feyenoord.

Van Dijk, de Vrij, Strootman, Kluivert, Bazoer, van der Wiel, Martins Indi. Two years ago, actually maybe last year, when Ajax made it to the EL final the press was full of praise and hope for the youthful quality of the side.

Koeman is not a bad manager. He is a funny looking and sounding man but surely there is enough to work on.

Peter
03-26-2018, 09:41 AM
Yes, I am aware of that, but I was inebriated and my usually impeccable judgement was impaired.

In vino veritas.... :)

Good to have you with us Sir C... we have treated 'these people' too badly for too long :(

Sir C
03-26-2018, 09:44 AM
In vino veritas.... :)

Good to have you with us Sir C... we have treated 'these people' too badly for too long :(

I really hope the poor chap wasn't offended. Mind you, he didn't hack my head off witha fruit knife or explode himself, so I may have got away with it.

Burney
03-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Yes but don't you see? I othered him. :-(

Well he is other :shrug: He's a brown, muslim immigrant in a largely white, Christian country. :shrug:

Personally, I think you should have shouted 'Jeldi, jeldi! Taxi-wallah!' and had your houseboy thrash him with a lathi if he dared to cheek you.

A firm hand. That's what these chaps understand.

Sir C
03-26-2018, 09:50 AM
The perhaps generous FIFA ranking in 2011 which you quote will have been massively enhanced by the WC final defeat the year before you allude to.

I have actually just googled the current rankings (for shame) and I note the Netherlands currently at 21, one place behind the Wales and 3 ahead of Northern Ireland, both of who are surely enjoying a bounce from performances in the Euros two years ago.

There is not a single Dutch player at what may be termed an elite club, well there is in Arjen Robben but I assume he has retired from the national side. The other top class players who spring to mind such as Sneijder or van Persie are surely close to retirement though I have enjoyed the latter’s recent renaissance at Feyenoord.

Van Dijk, de Vrij, Strootman, Kluivert, Bazoer, van der Wiel, Martins Indi. Two years ago, actually maybe last year, when Ajax made it to the EL final the press was full of praise and hope for the youthful quality of the side.

Koeman is not a bad manager. He is a funny looking and sounding man but surely there is enough to work on.

Sneijder's retired now.

Strootman never pushed on after his injury, Martins Indi is a bit rubbish, Kluivert is only being spoken of because of his dad... there just isn't the same sort of quality as in the past.

Consider the Netherlands squad at Euro 2000:

van der Sar
Reiziger
the de Boers
Stam
Seedorf
Cocu
Davids
Kluivert
Bewrgkamp
Overmars
van Bronkhorst

That is a squad packed with truly exceptional players.

Sir C
03-26-2018, 09:53 AM
Well he is other :shrug: He's a brown, muslim immigrant in a largely white, Christian country. :shrug:

Personally, I think you should have shouted 'Jeldi, jeldi! Taxi-wallah!' and had your houseboy thrash him with a lathi if he dared to cheek you.

A firm hand. That's what these chaps understand.

You would have been impressed when I introduced your daughter's friend(?) to your father, describing him as 'a fine young chap who is taking a degree in the important field of Gender Studies.'

Peter
03-26-2018, 09:54 AM
I really hope the poor chap wasn't offended. Mind you, he didn't hack my head off witha fruit knife or explode himself, so I may have got away with it.

I doubt he was offended. I am sure he appreciated that he was experiencing white, middle class guilt in its drunken context.

I was pissed yesterday and gave a homeless chap all my fags and a tenner. I dont think it made me feel any better and I am sure I uttered some patronising rubbish along the way. Still, he left with a tenner and some fags. I am ok with that.

Burney
03-26-2018, 09:57 AM
You would have been impressed when I introduced your daughter's friend(?) to your father, describing him as 'a fine young chap who is taking a degree in the important field of Gender Studies.'

Yes. Was this Dan? You have the advantage of me in having met him.

Sir C
03-26-2018, 10:00 AM
Yes. Was this Dan? You have the advantage of me in having met him.

Charming fellow. Quite charming. West Ham, but not rabid. Most obliging in the matter of fúcking off down the offy to get me more booze.

Burney
03-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Charming fellow. Quite charming. West Ham, but not rabid. Most obliging in the matter of fúcking off down the offy to get me more booze.

I'm told that you were opining loudly that you would "kill any cvnt" for R. She was very touched. :hehe:

Sir C
03-26-2018, 10:07 AM
I'm told that you were opining loudly that you would "kill any cvnt" for R. She was very touched. :hehe:

NO! PLEASE NO MORE!

I would though, naturally.

Burney
03-26-2018, 10:10 AM
NO! PLEASE NO MORE!

I would though, naturally.

Apparently, you took agin my niece's boyfriend on the grounds that he has a huge head.

Sir C
03-26-2018, 10:11 AM
Apparently, you took agin my niece's boyfriend on the grounds that he has a huge head.

Ah, now I do remember noticing a chap with a massive heid. I didn't know I'd mentioned it aloud though. :-(

SWv2
03-26-2018, 10:13 AM
Sneijder's retired now.

Strootman never pushed on after his injury, Martins Indi is a bit rubbish, Kluivert is only being spoken of because of his dad... there just isn't the same sort of quality as in the past.

Consider the Netherlands squad at Euro 2000:

van der Sar
Reiziger
the de Boers
Stam
Seedorf
Cocu
Davids
Kluivert
Bewrgkamp
Overmars
van Bronkhorst

That is a squad packed with truly exceptional players.

That is almost two decades ago old boy.

Tempus fugit etc.

:-(

Burney
03-26-2018, 10:19 AM
Ah, now I do remember noticing a chap with a massive heid. I didn't know I'd mentioned it aloud though. :-(

From the sound of things, I'd say you weren't at home to Mr Reticence on Saturday.