PDA

View Full Version : So female tennis players who go off to have a baby will retain their world ranking

Monty92
03-20-2018, 12:37 PM
until they return to the circuit.

Presumably this will apply to men who take paternity leave too?

Luis Anaconda
03-20-2018, 12:41 PM

You do realise that apart from the Grand Slam tournaments men's and women's tennis are run by two completely different organisations, don't you? Women's tennis have also had a protected ranking for injury for some years now (although they were talking of scrapping it)

Sir C
03-20-2018, 12:42 PM

What has you got against da bitchez, dude?

Monty92
03-20-2018, 12:46 PM
You do realise that apart from the Grand Slam tournaments men's and women's tennis are run by two completely different organisations, don't you? Women's tennis have also had a protected ranking for injury for some years now (although they were talking of scrapping it)

Yes, but I assume the groups lobbying for these changes will also be doing the same for the organisation that runs the men's game.

Monty92
03-20-2018, 12:49 PM
What has you got against da bitchez, dude?

Honestly, this gender pay gap business is sending me a bit crazy. I've never, ever seen an issue universally reported and discussed with such specious dishonesty.

There were two documentaries on it last night across the five terrestrial main channels.

It's actually significantly more mental than the transers stuff. Which is pretty fúcking mental.

Luis Anaconda
03-20-2018, 12:54 PM
Yes, but I assume the groups lobbying for these changes will also be doing the same for the organisation that runs the men's game.

You're also aware it is a sport, yes? Which makes playing it while pregnant a bit difficult? That bit doesn't affect the father. It's almost like you're comparing two completely different situations just to make a childish point

IUFG
03-20-2018, 12:56 PM
Honestly, this gender pay gap business is sending me a bit crazy. I've never, ever seen an issue universally reported and discussed with such specious dishonesty.

There were two documentaries on it last night across the five terrestrial main channels.

It's actually significantly more mental than the transers stuff. Which is pretty fúcking mental.

of course isn't.

you should pay men and women the same for doing either, the same work or work of equal value.

The statistics (the mathematical calculation for reporting) do get (sort of) manipulated to suit the agenda of course. . .

SWv2
03-20-2018, 01:03 PM
of course isn't.

you should pay men and women the same for doing either, the same work or work of equal value.

The statistics (the mathematical calculation for reporting) do get (sort of) manipulated to suit the agenda of course. . .

I saw a story earlier about Navratilova complaining she gets just 10% of what McEnroe gets on BBC for Wimbledon coverage.

Now I am no tennis buff but on the summer evening when I do see any tennis he (McEnroe) appears to be a constant presence while the Navratilova is not, presumably off doing lezzer stuff.

Yet the basis of the issue appeared to be simply reduced to man gets loads, man /lady gets less.

Monty92
03-20-2018, 01:05 PM
You're also aware it is a sport, yes? Which makes playing it while pregnant a bit difficult? That bit doesn't affect the father. It's almost like you're comparing two completely different situations just to make a childish point

I think these changes will apply after the baby is born, at which point a man may very well want to take over the child-caring responsibilities. My question is, will the advocates of this rule change also demand the same for men who want to hang out with their sprog for 2 years and then return to the game?

Pokster
03-20-2018, 01:06 PM

don't be a ****

Monty92
03-20-2018, 01:07 PM
of course isn't.

There's no reason to believe women are paid less for the same work, after you've corrected for matters of choice such as having babies.

Pokster
03-20-2018, 01:08 PM
I think these changes will apply after the baby is born, at which point a man may very well want to take over the child-caring responsibilities. My question is, will the advocates of this rule change also demand the same for men who want to hang out with their sprog for 2 years and then return to the game?

don't be a ****

Viva Prat Vegas
03-20-2018, 01:08 PM
As always , Steve is correct

He is utilised to a far greater degree than Martina is
Hours worked
Importance of the matches analysed and co-commented on

Luis Anaconda
03-20-2018, 01:14 PM

You don't actually know what you are talking about which doesn't really help :shrug: A women who takes two years out wouldn't have protected ranking either

IUFG
03-20-2018, 01:17 PM
As always , Steve is correct

He is utilised to a far greater degree than Martina is
Hours worked
Importance of the matches analysed and co-commented on

Difficult to calculate 'pay' when trading on personality. This is where the gig economy, rather than 'employment', is useful.
You can't compare McEnroe to Navratilova, even they are doing, essentially, the same work.

Monty92
03-20-2018, 01:22 PM
You don't actually know what you are talking about which doesn't really help :shrug: A women who takes two years out wouldn't have protected ranking either

This is a fair point. I literally heard the last 10 seconds of the story on the news and am irredeemably ignorant of the details.

But if you think that's going to stop me you are leeetle beeet naive.

Sir C
03-20-2018, 01:24 PM
of course isn't.

Yes, but birds don't do the same work as men, do they? You don't get female coal miners, front line soldiers, doctors or pilots, do you? I mean, you shouldn't, anyway.

Monty92
03-20-2018, 01:29 PM
Yes, but birds don't do the same work as men, do they? You don't get female coal miners, front line soldiers, doctors or pilots, do you? I mean, you shouldn't, anyway.

But who is to say the emotional labour of changing the colostomy bag of some rancid old **** with dementia every day is of less value than the physical labour of working down a coal mine?

PSRB
03-20-2018, 01:30 PM
of course isn't.

of course it's worth pointing out that in the tennis majors, the women get paid the same as the men for less work.........

Viva Prat Vegas
03-20-2018, 01:32 PM
And they serve more slowly
Make more noise though

Sir C
03-20-2018, 01:32 PM
But who is to say the emotional labour of changing the colostomy bag of some rancid old **** with dementia every day is of less value than the physical labour of working down a coal mine?

Oh, she doesn't seem to mind, tbh. :shrug:

Luis Anaconda
03-20-2018, 01:35 PM
This is a fair point. I literally heard the last 10 seconds of the story on the news and am irredeemably ignorant of the details.

But if you think that's going to stop me you are leeetle beeet naive.

:hehe: I'm practically being Kolo Toure there aren't i

Sir C
03-20-2018, 01:38 PM
And they serve more slowly
Make more noise though

Especially in McDonalds.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-20-2018, 01:41 PM
I am more of a Gourmet Burger man
When I can afford one

Sir C
03-20-2018, 01:44 PM
I am more of a Gourmet Burger man
When I can afford one

We all enjoy a quality burger, s. But there are occasions where nature calls and the only available option is the McDonalds :-(

Mind you, the other day I was desperate for a snack and, passing by a McDonalds, I popped in and bought a cheeseburger. Your actual, basic cheeseburger. Just one. Wallop, it was gone in two bites, it was fúcking delicious, and it dealt with the snack requirement. wd mcd.

The chick who served me took fúcking ages and kept grunting though.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-20-2018, 01:49 PM
I too confess to occasionally slipping into McDs for the very same item on account of their relative cheapness
99p in the UK

Was yours lukewarm? Mine usually are :-(

Bearing in mind your single figure bus usage record , I am slightly surprised that you are happy enough to wander into the "London Transport" of fast food gaffs on more than the odd occasion

Sir C
03-20-2018, 01:51 PM
I too confess to occasionally slipping into McDs for the very same item on account of their relative cheapness
99p in the UK

Bearing in mind your single figure bus usage record , I am slightly surprised that you are happy enough to wander into the "London Transport" of fast food gaffs on more than the odd occasion

That would be the first time in 18 months or so, I suppose, so it is very occasional. In the past it might have been a couple of times a year but I can't cope with the sausage and egg mcmuffin hangover cure any more. I'm done with that shít.

Sir C
03-20-2018, 01:52 PM
99p in the UK

Wait, what do you mean, '99p in the UK'? Whichj one of us isn't in the UK?

Pokster
03-20-2018, 01:54 PM
Wait, what do you mean, '99p in the UK'? Whichj one of us isn't in the UK?

sw imo ............

SWv2
03-20-2018, 01:59 PM
sw imo ............

Thank you P.

In Europe we have the Eurosaver menu.

Pokster
03-20-2018, 02:34 PM
Thank you P.

In Europe we have the Eurosaver menu.

We accept you into our hearts, but in reality Berni voted to get away from you, he hates you sw

Luis Anaconda
03-20-2018, 03:01 PM
sw imo ............

IAHYK - though I will be in the UK from Thursday. Deepest, darkest Derbyshire :shudder: