PDA

View Full Version : FilmrevieWIMB

Sir C
03-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Murder On The Orient Express.

Beautifully photographed. Snow, art deco glamour, cracking cast and a great story with which to work.

The result? Dull, dull, dull. Dreadfully dull. Boring. Almost boring. Dull.

Quite why Branagh chose to play Poirot as Clouseau-lite is a mystery.

:judge: An opportunity missed.

Burney
03-19-2018, 11:42 AM

Beautifully photographed. Snow, art deco glamour, cracking cast and a great story with which to work.

Never really understood the whole Agatha Christie thing, tbh. The woman was - frankly - a hack.

There. I've said it.

Sir C
03-19-2018, 11:43 AM
Never really understood the whole Agatha Christie thing, tbh. The woman was - frankly - a hack.

There. I've said it.

D'you know, I've never read a single one? The feature-length Suchet jobs are perfectly excellent, though.

Burney
03-19-2018, 11:57 AM
D'you know, I've never read a single one? The feature-length Suchet jobs are perfectly excellent, though.

They are poorly-written, sophomoric and their plots are, by turns, facile and utterly implausible.

You just like the suits and the art deco.

Sir C
03-19-2018, 11:59 AM
They are poorly-written, sophomoric and their plots are, by turns, facile and utterly implausible.

You just like the suits and the art deco.

Exactly so. :nod:

Tony C
03-19-2018, 02:20 PM
Thank god...was going to watch this last night...will give it a miss.

Peter
03-19-2018, 02:36 PM

I hugely preferred Minder On the Orient Express. But then I would.

Burney
03-19-2018, 02:50 PM
I hugely preferred Minder On the Orient Express. But then I would.

I never really understood why Terry in Minder appeared to be catnip for all the birds. He wasn't exactly sex on legs, was he?

Sir C
03-19-2018, 02:58 PM
I never really understood why Terry in Minder appeared to be catnip for all the birds. He wasn't exactly sex on legs, was he?

He was a real man, see? In an age of long-haired Herberts, pooves and layabouts, you knew ehere you stood with Terry. Nosh him off, make him his tea, lovely jubbly.

Burney
03-19-2018, 03:02 PM
He was a real man, see? In an age of long-haired Herberts, pooves and layabouts, you knew ehere you stood with Terry. Nosh him off, make him his tea, lovely jubbly.

I liked how all his fights with quasi-gangster types were settled with fists. No-one ever even tried to kick him in the balls, let alone stab him or shoot him.

Luis Anaconda
03-19-2018, 03:10 PM

Was listening to a drama on Radio with Dennis Waterman in (from the 1990s, I think), he basically was the same character. Had to do with Welsh people burning cottages- he was still catnip (birdnip?) though

Burney
03-19-2018, 03:13 PM
Was listening to a drama on Radio with Dennis Waterman in (from the 1990s, I think), he basically was the same character. Had to do with Welsh people burning cottages- he was still catnip (birdnip?) though

Yes. It's quite possible that he wrote the thing, though. Which would explain how he was able to portray himself as irresistible to women.

I seem to remember he had a sitcom in the 80s/90s (where he wrote the theme tune, sang the theme tune, natch) and in which he played a wealthy middle aged man who was hugely attractive to women.

redgunamo
03-19-2018, 03:20 PM
Yes. It's quite possible that he wrote the thing, though. Which would explain how he was able to portray himself as irresistible to women.

I seem to remember he had a sitcom in the 80s/90s (where he wrote the theme tune, sang the theme tune, natch) and in which he played a wealthy middle aged man who was hugely attractive to women.

Oh, that was terrific. Sam Kelly and dear old Joan Sims were in it.

Luis Anaconda
03-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Oh, that was terrific. Sam Kelly and dear old Joan Sims were in it.
Just the one Mrs Wembley

Burney
03-19-2018, 03:29 PM
Just the one Mrs Wembley

That's the chap. Anyone remember what it was called?

Luis Anaconda
03-19-2018, 03:29 PM

He was quite good with the birds though - Rula Lenska aside

redgunamo
03-19-2018, 03:30 PM
Just the one Mrs Wembley

That's it! Adorable, wholesome, family fun.

redgunamo
03-19-2018, 03:30 PM
That's the chap. Anyone remember what it was called?

On The Up.

Burney
03-19-2018, 03:32 PM
He was quite good with the birds though - Rula Lenska aside

Didn't they marry and divorce and remarry and divorce?

The triumph of optimism over experience.

Luis Anaconda
03-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Didn't they marry and divorce and remarry and divorce?

The triumph of optimism over experience.

There was something like that, yes. Now I remember his daughter was in EastEnders - different wife/mother though

Luis Anaconda
03-19-2018, 03:43 PM
On The Up.
I love Joan Sims - and Sam Kelly is lovely as well. Fifth best character in Porridge for a start

redgunamo
03-19-2018, 03:47 PM
I love Joan Sims - and Sam Kelly is lovely as well. Fifth best character in Porridge for a start

:hehe: I was just thinking this morning, "She's got gallstones an' all!"

No idea why.

Burney
03-19-2018, 03:50 PM

Remember that time I was in the Passport Office with Sam Kelly and posted about it on here?

I still feel bad that he really didn't get the full value out of that passport renewal. :-(

redgunamo
03-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Remember that time I was in the Passport Office with Sam Kelly and posted about it on here?

I still feel bad that he really didn't get the full value out of that passport renewal. :-(

I think it was Michael Holding who said that fame is like having a meal named after you at your favourite restaurant, and then being forced to eat that meal every day for the rest of your life :-\

Burney
03-19-2018, 03:57 PM
I think it was Michael Holding who said that fame is like having a meal named after you at your favourite restaurant, and then being forced to eat that meal every day for the rest of your life :-\

For me, r, he'll always be the bloke who went "'tler!" a bit late when everyone else was saying 'Heil Hitler!'

I can offer no higher praise. :bow:

redgunamo
03-19-2018, 04:06 PM
For me, r, he'll always be the bloke who went "'tler!" a bit late when everyone else was saying 'Heil Hitler!'

I can offer no higher praise. :bow:

Indeed. RMK, RIF.

Luis Anaconda
03-19-2018, 04:13 PM

:hehe: now you mention it I do remember. Only 70 - seems young these days

Burney
03-19-2018, 04:36 PM
:hehe: now you mention it I do remember. Only 70 - seems young these days

Yes. He got less than a year out of that passport. He should've got some sort of rebate imo. :-(

Mind you, given that he must already have been diagnosed at that stage, he was being optimistic, tbh.

Luis Anaconda
03-19-2018, 04:45 PM
:( - He put up a fight it seems:

It was reported in January 2014, that Kelly had temporarily departed the production due to ill health, and that his replacement from 17 February 2014, would be Martyn Ellis. He was admitted to a hospice on 13 June 2014 and died early the next morning aged 70 after a long battle with cancer

PSRB
03-19-2018, 05:22 PM

Wasn't there a whole comedy skit about Denis Waterman being involved in every element of every TV programme he was asked to appear in? Might have been Spitting Image

Luis Anaconda
03-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Wasn't there a whole comedy skit about Denis Waterman being involved in every element of every TV programme he was asked to appear in? Might have been Spitting Image

Little Britain

PSRB
03-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Little Britain

Ah yes. Thanks, la