03-14-2018, 12:48 PM
We'll have to get Smiley out of retirement at this rate. :cloud9:

Luis Anaconda
03-14-2018, 12:49 PM

Sir Humphrey lives on

World's End Stella
03-14-2018, 12:53 PM
Yeah but May bottled it. Expelling the oligarchs and seizing assets would have been my choice, especially Abramovich. :-)

They will expel a few of ours and deny the whole thing and nothing will change.

Pathetic.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Burney "We'll have to get Smiley out of retirement at this rate."

He IS coming out of retirement
Set to take over at Southampton

Sir C
03-14-2018, 01:10 PM

Corbyn taking the 'it's all the UK's fault anyway' line. He's like a netto jorge, but less footbasll hipsterish.

Honestly, why do these people hate their own country quite so much?

IUFG
03-14-2018, 01:13 PM
Expelling the oligarchs and seizing assets would have been my choice, especially Abramovich. :-)

**** me, half of London could be reclaimed.

I have a friend who works on building projects for Russian clients. One geezer bought a whole row of houses in Belgravia. Asked the remaining one owner in the middle of the row to 'name their price' for their house. Bought it. Gutted the lot of them and is now 'redeveloping' them :moneylaundering:

Sir C
03-14-2018, 01:17 PM
**** me, half of London could be reclaimed.

I have a friend who works on building projects for Russian clients. One geezer bought a whole row of houses in Belgravia. Asked the remaining one owner in the middle of the row to 'name their price' for their house. Bought it. Gutted the lot of them and is now 'redeveloping' them :moneylaundering:

The question is, what is actually wrong with money laundering? As I see it, it puts the money back into circulation, which is good for everyone.

IUFG
03-14-2018, 01:31 PM
The question is, what is actually wrong with money laundering? As I see it, it puts the money back into circulation, which is good for everyone.

Apparently most of the builders who work on the projects are not actually Latvians and Lithuanians but Russians. Apparently they cost a fortune as the money paid to the intermediary construction company is astronomical. This intermediary construction company is usually owned by the very same person who owns the property. I assume the cash generated by the redevelopment disappears out of the UK as, ultimately, the cash generated by the sale of the house.

I suppose you get a better ROI on London property than interest from a bank for your clean money...

World's End Stella
03-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Not much other than allowing criminals to reap the rewards for their illegal efforts. Who could possibly object to that? :rolleyes:

Pokster
03-14-2018, 02:03 PM
Not much other than allowing criminals to reap the rewards for their illegal efforts. Who could possibly object to that? :rolleyes:

He's a used car salesman, he only deals with cash in hand, no questions asked

Sir C
03-14-2018, 02:07 PM

Bit judgemental.

Burney
03-14-2018, 02:08 PM
Bit judgemental.

Entrepreneurs being allowed to retain and reinvest their wealth is what WES meant, I think.

eastgermanautos
03-14-2018, 02:17 PM
Corbyn taking the 'it's all the UK's fault anyway' line. He's like a netto jorge, but less footbasll hipsterish.

Honestly, why do these people hate their own country quite so much?

I get what you mean, man. Secret allegiance to Vladimir Putin's engorged male member. Kind of disgusting.

eastgermanautos
03-14-2018, 02:19 PM
I get what you mean, man. Secret allegiance to Vladimir Putin's engorged male member. Kind of disgusting.

Speaking of which, one of my contacts is a solid bud of Vladimir Putin. I find it's useful to foster such contacts, and I will continue to do so.

Burney
03-14-2018, 02:23 PM

Orwell - as ever - had these cvnts' number.

England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals 
are ashamed of their own nationality. In left-wing circles it is always felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably true that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of standing to attention during ‘God save the King’ than of stealing from a poor box. All through the critical years many left-wingers were chipping away at English morale, trying to spread an outlook that was sometimes squashily pacifist, sometimes violently pro-Russian, but always anti-British.”

eastgermanautos
03-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Orwell - as ever - had these cvnts' number.

Seriously. Shooting an Elephant. That is my favorite expository essay of all time.

Burney
03-14-2018, 02:36 PM
Seriously. Shooting an Elephant. That is my favorite expository essay of all time.

Yeah, he was a bit of a fanny about that, tbh. Sometimes one simply has to do what is needful to show the coolies who's boss. I don't see the problem myself. :shrug:

Burney
03-14-2018, 04:00 PM
Yeah but May bottled it. Expelling the oligarchs and seizing assets would have been my choice, especially Abramovich. :-)

They will expel a few of ours and deny the whole thing and nothing will change.

Pathetic.

This is a measured response designed to offer the Russians an opportunity to de-escalate while making it clear that more radical options are there should they choose not to. It's part of the dance.

eastgermanautos
03-14-2018, 07:30 PM
Yeah, he was a bit of a fanny about that, tbh. Sometimes one simply has to do what is needful to show the coolies who's boss. I don't see the problem myself. :shrug:

I quite agree.