PDA

View Full Version : What would you think of someone who went to 5 Guys, ordered a bacon cheeseburger

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 11:18 AM
and then ate it with a knife and fork?

I saw exactly this in Guildford the other day. Middle aged English woman sitting with her husband and two children who - quite rightly - were eating their burgers with their hands.

Bizarre. Almost as bad as people who eat pizza with a knife and fork imo.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 11:20 AM

I saw exactly this in Guildford the other day. Middle aged English woman sitting with her husband and two children who - quite rightly - were eating their burgers with their hands.

She had brought the knife and fork with her? I would be inclined to congratulate her for being so prepared.

PSRB
03-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Does depend on where you're eating the pizza. Domino's, Papa Johns, etc of course you eat with your hands but Pizza Express, etc is a knife and fork job.

Eating a burger must always be done by hand. Off to Almost Famous at lunch :eat: very much looking forward to some incredibly unhealthy eating

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez

I've seen people cut naan bread with a knife and fork

World's End Stella
She had brought the knife and fork with her? I would be inclined to congratulate her for being so prepared.

Only if she brought plastic ones. I suspect she asked for them as they aren't openly offered.

Stupid cow that she was.

Pokster
03-09-2018, 11:23 AM

The question should be, why would you want to go to 5 guys unless you are a wrong 'un

Sir C
03-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Only if she brought plastic ones. I suspect she asked for them as they aren't openly offered.

Stupid cow that she was.

Her nail varnish may still have been a bit tacky. Or she might have had shít on her fingers. :shrug:

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Does depend on where you're eating the pizza. Domino's, Papa Johns, etc of course you eat with your hands but Pizza Express, etc is a knife and fork job.

Eating a burger must always be done by hand. Off to Almost Famous at lunch :eat: very much looking forward to some incredibly unhealthy eating

Yes, I'll give you the Pizza Express one although I expect if you ask they will cut it for you. When I eat there I cut it myself and then pick the pieces up and eat them by hand.

I have learnt to keep my fork in my left hand since moving to England but I draw the line at eating pizza and burgers with utensils. Unacceptable imo.

Pokster
03-09-2018, 11:25 AM
Her nail varnish may still have been a bit tacky. Or she might have had shít on her fingers. :shrug:

Well she noticed the **** on the next table

Burney
03-09-2018, 11:27 AM

When she took us to Wimpy, my granny wouldn't let us eat a burger other than with a knife and fork. She abhorred people eating with their hands. She tolerated sandwiches, but only if they were cut up small enough that one could eat the pieces with one hand. She associated eating things with two hands with the lower orders. And she was right.

People had standards back in those days. Better times.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 11:27 AM
The question should be, why would you want to go to 5 guys unless you are a wrong 'un

I very much enjoyed my burger on the occasion I visited the establishment in question. What struck me, though, was that it was restaurant quality food, at restaurant pricing, in a fast food environment. This I found confusing and unsettling.

Burney
03-09-2018, 11:28 AM

I'm quite impressed that there's a Five Guys in Guildford, tbh.

Pokster
03-09-2018, 11:29 AM

Is Guildord a cultural oasis b and is full of domino's and Burger Kings only?

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:32 AM

I always eat pizza with a knife and fork and I couldnt give a **** what anyone thinks.

But a burger...nah, that is nonsense.

PSRB
03-09-2018, 11:32 AM
I very much enjoyed my burger on the occasion I visited the establishment in question. What struck me, though, was that it was restaurant quality food, at restaurant pricing, in a fast food environment. This I found confusing and unsettling.

I'm struggling to decide what to have today http://www.almostfamousburgers.com/PDF/AF_GN_FOOD_FEB_2018.pdf

Burney
03-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Is Guildord a cultural oasis b and is full of domino's and Burger Kings only?

It's in stark contrast to Hertfordshire. There isn't even a Yo Sushi! in the whole of the county.

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 11:35 AM
I always eat pizza with a knife and fork and I couldnt give a **** what anyone thinks.

But a burger...nah, that is nonsense.

So let me understand this - you order a pick up or takeaway from Dominos, the pizza arrives either way at your house, in your kitchen, cut into 10 slices, as an example. You open up the pizza box, what do you do at that point?

Remove the slices you want with a utensil of some kind, place them on a plate and then eat them with a knife and fork? Or do you remove them with your hands as it is far, far, easier and then eat them with a knife and fork?

Either way, you're weird. :-)

Pokster
03-09-2018, 11:35 AM
It's in stark contrast to Hertfordshire. There isn't even a Yo Sushi! in the whole of the county.

Blimey, we got a yo sushi in Harrogate a few months ago, underneath the Everyman

Sir C
03-09-2018, 11:36 AM
I'm struggling to decide what to have today http://www.almostfamousburgers.com/PDF/AF_GN_FOOD_FEB_2018.pdf

Too much p. They're mucked about with everything! You want a double cheeseburger, no bacon, no pulled pork, no nonsense.

And proper chips. Not sweet pofúckingtatoes.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 11:36 AM
So let me understand this - you order a pick up or takeaway from Dominos, the pizza arrives either way at your house, in your kitchen, cut into 10 slices, as an example. You open up the pizza box, what do you do at that point?

Remove the slices you want with a utensil of some kind, place them on a plate and then eat them with a knife and fork? Or do you remove them with your hands as it is far, far, easier and then eat them with a knife and fork?

Dominos? :hehe: What sort of animal do you think he is?

Pokster
03-09-2018, 11:37 AM

p lives in Essex sc, he's THAT sort of animal

Pat Vegas
03-09-2018, 11:38 AM

I've been there too and it was nice. Those fries things they have make me feel a bit weird after a while.

PSRB
03-09-2018, 11:38 AM
Too much p. They're mucked about with everything! You want a double cheeseburger, no bacon, no pulled pork, no nonsense.

The bacon bacon fries are really good!!!

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 11:41 AM

If you want a takeaway pizza what are the other options? :shrug:

Papa Johns or Dominos or some god awful one off pizza shop run by untrustworthy swarthy types? For me, that has to be Dominos. And my teenage children and their friends all swear by Dominos.

I've always thought that was the sign of a good pizza place, one that is favoured by students. :nod:

Sir C
03-09-2018, 11:41 AM

I'll have a This Is Manchester with a side order of Hot AF wings.

No fires. I'm watching my figure.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Papa Johns or Dominos or some god awful one off pizza shop run by untrustworthy swarthy types? For me, that has to be Dominos. And my teenage children and their friends all swear by Dominos.

I've always thought that was the sign of a good pizza place, one that is favoured by students. :nod:

If those were the options I simply wouldn't order a pizza - not as a matter of food snobbery, just because they're rank.

This is my local pizza take-away place http://www.pizza1889.com/about-us/http://

PSRB
03-09-2018, 11:43 AM
See elsewhere

SWv2
03-09-2018, 11:44 AM

They give you a pizza cutter and from there surely it is all by hand unless you are ordering pasta at which point you should be asked to leave.

PSRB
03-09-2018, 11:44 AM
I'll have a This Is Manchester with a side order of Hot AF wings.

No fires. I'm watching my figure.

I'm going with the Guy Ritchie, Bacon Fries and then I'm undecided between Hot AF and Redneck BBQ wings :rubchin:

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 11:46 AM
I'm going with the Guy Ritchie, Bacon Fries and then I'm undecided between Hot AF and Redneck BBQ wings :rubchin:

Do they deep fry the wings? I have never found an establishment in England that deep fries the wings (other than my house) and baked wings are a nonsense.

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Yep, I remove it from the box by the most appropriate means, put in on a plate and eat it with a knife and fork. Some people consider it weird. It really doesnt bother me. I prefer to eat it like that.

I am with you on the burger.

PSRB
03-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Do they deep fry the wings? I have never found an establishment in England that deep fries the wings (other than my house) and baked wings are a nonsense.

KFC?

I don't know, I shall ask them. They are bloody lovely and a decent size. Not these tiny wings you get in most places

Burney
03-09-2018, 11:49 AM

I'm still chuckling at 'Phok-meat'. :hehe:

Also, what's a frickle?

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:49 AM

You can get plenty of different pizzas through deliveroo. Pizza Express is available for delivery, also Ask, Zizzi.

Dominos really isnt that bad though. I can eat it :)

Burney
03-09-2018, 11:50 AM

Why does it say bacon twice?

IUFG
03-09-2018, 11:53 AM
I am with you on the burger.

what about those ridicules oversized burgers where everything slips out of it?

Is it acceptable to, say, cut in in half with a knife and then eat with hands?

PSRB
03-09-2018, 11:55 AM
Why does it say bacon twice?

In the mayo description? I assume bacon flavoured mayo with bits of bacon in it :shrug:

PSRB
03-09-2018, 11:57 AM
I'm still chuckling at 'Phok-meat'. :hehe:

Also, what's a frickle?

Fried pickle.

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:00 PM
what about those ridicules oversized burgers where everything slips out of it?

Is it acceptable to, say, cut in in half with a knife and then eat with hands?

Right. I am about to get called weird again.....

I would tidy the thing up before I start. If it is dripping with sauce and uneven lumps of salad items then some of this is going to have to go, I'm afraid. The thing needs to hold together otherwise you are left with a sodden mess.

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Fried pickle.

For. Fvck's. Sake. :-( :-( :-(

What sort of deviant animal would do that?

SWv2
03-09-2018, 12:04 PM

It's a Yankee thing, seen it a few times on Diners, Drive ins and Dives.

When in doubt deep fry the ****er.

Burney

I would tidy the thing up before I start. If it is dripping with sauce and uneven lumps of salad items then some of this is going to have to go, I'm afraid. The thing needs to hold together otherwise you are left with a sodden mess.

The most important thing with a big burger is not to put it down at any point. If you do, the thing will fall apart and you'll be eating scraps of gooey sh1te. You can't eat anything else at the same time.

PSRB

I'm with you there, p. It's the issue I have with chilli burgers, a combination of 2 of my favourite things but it's just impossible to eat as a burger.

PSRB
03-09-2018, 12:05 PM
You can get plenty of different pizzas through deliveroo. Pizza Express is available for delivery, also Ask, Zizzi.

Dominos really isnt that bad though. I can eat it :)

My daughters and I love Dominos.........

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:06 PM

Yes, well it was a rhetorical question, really. Obviously, it would be the Yanqui who do this. Sometimes I feel the world might be improved if they shot a few more of each other.

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:06 PM
The most important thing with a big burger is not to put it down at any point. If you do, the thing will fall apart and you'll be eating scraps of gooey sh1te. You can't eat anything else at the same time.

100% agreed. It is basically a race against time before it falls apart. Once you pick it up you accept the clock is ticking. Putting it down is effectively chucking it in the bin.

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:08 PM
I'm with you there, p. It's the issue I have with chilli burgers, a combination of 2 of my favourite things but it's just impossible to eat as a burger.

You cant have too much slop in there and you shouldn't need it. It only dilutes the flavour of the meat, which is supposed to be the point. Likewise, things like cucumber and tomato need to be positioned in reasonable and consistent sizes. You cannot afford lumpsand undulations above or beneath the layer of meat. This inevitably causes structural disintegration at an early stage.

PSRB
They give you a pizza cutter and from there surely it is all by hand unless you are ordering pasta at which point you should be asked to leave.

I have never been offered a pizza cutter in Pizza Express, ever.

Burney
100% agreed. It is basically a race against time before it falls apart. Once you pick it up you accept the clock is ticking. Putting it down is effectively chucking it in the bin.

:nod: Only amateurs (and women) put the burger down halfway through eating it.

Peter
My daughters and I love Dominos.........

It gets a bad press. I know people who wont touch it but love Pizza Hut....that doesnt make any sense to me at all.

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:10 PM
You cant have too much slop in there and you shouldn't need it. It only dilutes the flavour of the meat, which is supposed to be the point. Likewise, things like cucumber and tomato need to be positioned in reasonable and consistent sizes. You cannot afford lumpsand undulations above or beneath the layer of meat. This inevitably causes structural disintegration at an early stage.

The problem is that the more succulent the burger, the more likely it is to disintegrate, as the juices from the meat inevitably seep into the bun and render it structurally unsound.

Also, brioche buns can fvck off.

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:10 PM
:nod: Only amateurs (and women) put the burger down halfway through eating it.

Exactly. Have a few chips first, inspect the rest of the plate. Prepare the burger for holding and then commence once you acknowledge you are ready to go all in. Finish the remaining chips at the end. This can also help to mop up any sauce that may have scraped from the burger during consumption.

redgunamo
03-09-2018, 12:11 PM

An American. Deep-fat fried pickles is a popular delicacy in places like Arkansas and Mississippi. Delicious

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5b/Fried_pickles_closeup.jpg/1024px-Fried_pickles_closeup.jpg

SWv2
I have never been offered a pizza cutter in Pizza Express, ever.

Perhaps I am thinking of another chain, here it is called Milano for whatever reason. There is one on Upper Street just up from Byron, more or less opposite the Hilton.

Probably don't give them out in London as they would be nicked and used as a weapon in a street mugging.

Here in Ireland they give them out with each meal.

Peter
The problem is that the more succulent the burger, the more likely it is to disintegrate, as the juices from the meat inevitably seep into the bun and render it structurally unsound.

Also, brioche buns can fvck off.

THie can create an issue with buns. A dry bun will stand a good soaking whereas a lighter, fluffy one will fold by the second bite, once the overall structure has been compromised.

Trouble is, you then end up with a dry bun :(

Its tricky.

redgunamo
03-09-2018, 12:13 PM

Not "Yankee"; more "Cracker".

PSRB
03-09-2018, 12:14 PM
It gets a bad press. I know people who wont touch it but love Pizza Hut....that doesnt make any sense to me at all.

Ours only does eat in and not delivery......and I'm not eating in a Pizza Hut

PSRB
03-09-2018, 12:17 PM
Perhaps I am thinking of another chain, here it is called Milano for whatever reason. There is one on Upper Street just up from Byron, more or less opposite the Hilton.

Probably don't give them out in London as they would be nicked and used as a weapon in a street mugging.

Here in Ireland they give them out with each meal.

Essentially, if it's been pre-cut or I'm offered a cutter I would eat by hand, if not, then knife and fork

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Ours only does eat in and not delivery......and I'm not eating in a Pizza Hut

100% agree there. I wouldnt even go in and collect it. The one in Colchester is on a retail estate, right in the middle of the car park. They pump out horrific pop music all day.

I am not a snob when it comes to food but I draw the line at going in there.

and anyway, Dominos is better.

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:19 PM
Exactly. Have a few chips first, inspect the rest of the plate. Prepare the burger for holding and then commence once you acknowledge you are ready to go all in. Finish the remaining chips at the end. This can also help to mop up any sauce that may have scraped from the burger during consumption.

You also have to accept that it's not going to be pretty. You need napkins to hand.

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:19 PM
An American. Deep-fat fried pickles is a popular delicacy in places like Arkansas and Mississippi. Delicious

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5b/Fried_pickles_closeup.jpg/1024px-Fried_pickles_closeup.jpg

Take those revolting things out of my face afore I strike ye!

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2018, 12:43 PM

It's a very German thing to do

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:57 PM
You also have to accept that it's not going to be pretty. You need napkins to hand.

This is why some women go for the knife and fork option.

A shish kebab is also a problem here. THe big lumps of meat make it difficult as hand food and if it is lamb, the chewiness can destroy the whole set up. I am 50-50 on this. I often go with cutlery.

Ash
03-09-2018, 01:16 PM
What would you think of someone who went to 5 Guys, ordered a bacon cheeseburger and then ate it with a knife and fork?

I would mind my own business and get on with my life free from the burden of judgemental indignation and outrage.

Maybe they had a bit of a toothache and couldn't bite comfortably.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 01:44 PM
I would mind my own business and get on with my life free from the burden of judgemental indignation and outrage.

Maybe they had a bit of a toothache and couldn't bite comfortably.

Cutlery nazi-ism aside I am just unsure how a person could even do it in said food emporium.

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 02:25 PM

Quite the other way around, I'm afraid. And let's be honest, a Brit lecturing an American or a Canadian on how to eat a burger is pretty rich. :hehe:

The answer is to put it down upside down as you progress through the burger. The top half of the bun is always larger and more likely to hold its shape as it hasn't had the juice and the condiments dripping into it. This way one can take his time with it.

You Brits really are burger amateurs. :hehe:

Pokster
03-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Quite the other way around, I'm afraid. And let's be honest, a Brit lecturing an American or a Canadian on how to eat a burger is pretty rich. :hehe:

The answer is to put it down upside down as you progress through the burger. The top half of the bun is always larger and more likely to hold its shape as it hasn't had the juice and the condiments dripping into it. This way one can take his time with it.

So using your comment above, a Canadian or Yank lecturing us about Football is pretty rich?

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 02:28 PM
It's a very German thing to do

Case closed then, innit?

Peter
03-09-2018, 02:36 PM

Yes, I am not sure the ability to eat a burger would be too high up on Britain's list of cultural accomplishments in any case. But then I suppose if you are Canadian you grab what you can.

You did produce Leonard Cohen, so you are alright by me. Of course, he had to go to NEw York to become Leonard Cohen but nevertheless......

Peter
03-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Case closed then, innit?

Oh, so we are going to start kraut-bashing are we?

Our european partners....

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 03:30 PM
Oh, so we are going to start kraut-bashing are we?

Our european partners....

Seriously, you and Burney should take this opportunity to learn something.

Eat burger. Place upside down and arrange as required, Eat more burger. etc.

There's a valuable lesson for you both here.