PDA

View Full Version : That is a seriously **** team. Awful full backs, dreadful midfield and a useless

Peter
03-08-2018, 05:03 PM
Centre forward.

Leaving aside all the other problems, that is just a **** team.

Burney
03-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Centre forward.

Will we ever win another game, p? :-(

SWv2
03-08-2018, 05:07 PM
Centre forward.

Arguably it is the best we have available.

Actually, is Chambers playing?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-08-2018, 05:13 PM

Yes, right back :-|

Peter
03-08-2018, 05:14 PM

I am not saying it isnt the best available, just that it is ****. CHambers is not a good right back at all and Kolasinec isnt great. Xhaka isa disaster area, and lets not kid ourselves about Danny- he wouldnt set the world alight in the Championship.

I am not going to mention the keeper....

Peter
03-08-2018, 05:14 PM

Yes, but not tonight.

SWv2
03-08-2018, 05:16 PM
Yes, right back :-|

It's alright, midfield will sit and cover him.

Peter
03-08-2018, 05:17 PM
It's alright, midfield will sit and cover him.

I think Ramsey may play on the right of midfield so he will get plenty of over cover from Aaron's diligent tracking back :(

Just Trent
03-08-2018, 05:58 PM

Worse than that B. It's Martin Keown on the TV again. Watching him desperately trying to navigate his way around a criticism of AW, is more painful than all these defeats.

barrybueno
03-08-2018, 06:24 PM
I am not saying it isnt the best available, just that it is ****. CHambers is not a good right back at all and Kolasinec isnt great. Xhaka isa disaster area, and lets not kid ourselves about Danny- he wouldnt set the world alight in the Championship.

I am not going to mention the keeper....

Should have been off and a pelanty, what an honest mug that Milan bloke was. Anyway 1-0 onwards and upwards, Wenger in etc

redgunamo
03-08-2018, 06:53 PM
Centre forward.

2-0 up at half-time though. Not bad.

Great finish from Rambo.

barrybueno
03-08-2018, 07:13 PM

Great finish from Rambo.

Maybe Arsenal should move to Italy? Serie A looks a bit **** right now

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-08-2018, 07:17 PM

Great finish from Rambo.

It doesn't look like Meelan have done their homework on our weaknesses.

Sir C
03-08-2018, 08:52 PM
Centre forward.

This is the most outrageous self-cvnting I have ever seen.

redgunamo
03-08-2018, 08:58 PM
I'm still waiting for my Japanese doggy bag :-(

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-08-2018, 09:01 PM

Or a very good reverse jinxing

Tony C
03-08-2018, 10:19 PM
In the end it all worked out but there is a gap here...Milan are a deadbeat mid table Serie A side while Arsenal are a massively under performing and were able to show a bit of class to get a win.

Back to normality with a 3-1 loss to Watford imo

Thought Chambers offered far more than Bellend while Danny produced one of his old skool tireless performances that Sir Alex would trust upon him.

Whole thing just proves what I said - yes Wenger has to the blame for what happened but don’t forgot the players who let us down badly for the last few seasons.

Hopefully those two improve upon this...

Peter
03-09-2018, 09:24 AM

It is a pretty **** team :).

there are at least four players in that starting line up who sit somewhere between **** and useless. And a couple more I dont care too much for.

Burney
03-09-2018, 09:28 AM

there are at least four players in that starting line up who sit somewhere between **** and useless. And a couple more I dont care too much for.

:nod: Just because Milan are worse doesn't make us any less sh1t imo.

Peter
03-09-2018, 09:30 AM
:nod: Just because Milan are worse doesn't make us any less sh1t imo.

Well, hang on. We have proved our ability to lose to anyone on our day so I think we have to give the players a little bit of credit for mustering a performance of some kind.

Especially when you consider how **** some of them are :)

Sir C
03-09-2018, 09:32 AM

"Awful full backs, dreadful midfield and a useless centre forward"

Kolasinac was highly regarded in the Bundesliga so describing him as 'awful' is a bit silly. Chambers I'll grant you. Welbeck has been pretty useless, agreed. Where you've immersed yourself in juvenile hyperbole is describing the collection of Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere, Xhaka and Mikawossname as 'dreadful'. That's Arsenal Fan TV quality critique, it really is.

Pokster
03-09-2018, 09:35 AM

Kolasinac was highly regarded in the Bundesliga so describing him as 'awful' is a bit silly. Chambers I'll grant you. Welbeck has been pretty useless, agreed. Where you've immersed yourself in juvenile hyperbole is describing the collection of Ozil, Ramsey, Wilshere, Xhaka and Mikawossname as 'dreadful'. That's Arsenal Fan TV quality critique, it really is.

He's been brainwashed by the plastic Yank WES, take everything he says with a pinch of salt because he obviously knows nothing about the fine sport

Peter
03-09-2018, 09:48 AM

Our midfield has been a disgrace all season. Xhaka, the main focus of my fury, is all over the place in pretty much every game. Jesus, even Wenger leapt off the bench to call him a useless **** last night after he blazed a shot 20 years over the bar with three players well positioned ahead of him. Hopeless.

THe left back has done well as a wing back but even Wenger has been reluctant to field him as a left back. When he has, he hasn't performed brilliantly. Maitland-Niles, a right footed midfielder, came on and looked better than him last night.

Chambers and Ospina are, I assume, not on the table for debate.

I think you know when I referred to midfield that I wasnt talking about Ozil et al. I have in fact been ridiculed for saying that Wilshere is miles better than our other central midfielders. That said, Ramsey is a useless ****.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 09:55 AM
Our midfield has been a disgrace all season. Xhaka, the main focus of my fury, is all over the place in pretty much every game. Jesus, even Wenger leapt off the bench to call him a useless **** last night after he blazed a shot 20 years over the bar with three players well positioned ahead of him. Hopeless.

THe left back has done well as a wing back but even Wenger has been reluctant to field him as a left back. When he has, he hasn't performed brilliantly. Maitland-Niles, a right footed midfielder, came on and looked better than him last night.

I think you know when I referred to midfield that I wasnt talking about Ozil et al. I have in fact been ridiculed for saying that Wilshere is miles better than our other central midfielders. That said, Ramsey is a useless ****.

Have you considered numismatism, p? I understand it can be a most satisfying pastime.

Peter
03-09-2018, 09:57 AM
Have you considered numismatism, p? I understand it can be a most satisfying pastime.

I dont like the word hyperbole. Would you mind not using it from now on?

I am prepared to stop referring to aircraft as 'planes' in return.

Deal?

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:00 AM
I dont like the word hyperbole. Would you mind not using it from now on?

I am prepared to stop referring to aircraft as 'planes' in return.

Deal?

It's a tricky one. There's no real synonym for 'hyperbole', is there? I'd be left a bit bereft in the area of describing exaggerated language.

Burney
03-09-2018, 10:01 AM
It's a tricky one. There's no real synonym for 'hyperbole', is there? I'd be left a bit bereft in the area of describing exaggerated language.

Overstatement? Embellishment?

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2018, 10:03 AM

*******s imo

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Too mild, surely? Hyperbole suggests massive overstatement or ridiculous embellishment.

Peter
03-09-2018, 10:04 AM
*******s imo

Right on the money. Call a spade a spade, as it were.

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Too mild, surely? Hyperbole suggests massive overstatement or ridiculous embellishment.

It's a lovely and apt word, sir c - don't let p bully you on your language. Just point and laugh at his utter cretinity when it comes to football. Think Rich knows more than him

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:07 AM

I remember someone describing a chap to me who he considered rather blunt. "He's the kind of bloke," he said, "who calls a spade a fúcking n****r."

Language was so much more poetic back then, somehow.

redgunamo
03-09-2018, 10:07 AM

Embroidery? Embellishment? Lies?

Peter
03-09-2018, 10:08 AM
It's a lovely and apt word, sir c - don't let p bully you on your language. Just point and laugh at his utter cretinity when it comes to football. Think Rich knows more than him

I am here you know.

Peter
03-09-2018, 10:09 AM
I remember someone describing a chap to me who he considered rather blunt. "He's the kind of bloke," he said, "who calls a spade a fúcking n****r."

Language was so much more poetic back then, somehow.

Hmmmm.... yes, I suppose so. Colourful might be another description.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:09 AM

I'd be the first to acknowledge that football is about opinions and judgements about players are, to a degree, subjective, but those with a downer on Ramsey really have me scratching my head. I mean, can't they just look at what he does?

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:10 AM
Embroidery? Embellishment? Lies?

Are you calling him gay?

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 10:10 AM

Hmmm, other than one or two moments I thought Chambers played quite well, it brought back memories of his first season with us when he looked like a good player. Kolasinac is never going to be Baresi defensively but goodness me some of his touches going forward were a joy to watch. And I can't remember muttering 'useless Welsh tw@t' once the entire game. Quite remarkable.

Even Xhaka seemed to be in the right position more often than not. In fact, other than Welbeck being utterly dire for the first 40 minutes or so, I don't think anyone played badly that I recall.

It was almost like not watching Arsenal. :-)

Peter
03-09-2018, 10:11 AM
I'd be the first to acknowledge that football is about opinions and judgements about players are, to a degree, subjective, but those with a downer on Ramsey really have me scratching my head. I mean, can't they just look at what he does?

You could look at what he doesnt do for a more balanced view.

He is capable for being a very good footballer but not, I fear, under Wenger. He needs more direction than he gets with us.

Tony C
Chatted to a Boro fan recently who was adamant that if we gave Chambers a run of games at centre half he would prove to be the answer we’ve been looking for but admitted that he will be probably made a scapegoat and sold before excelling elsewhere.

Was supposedly their best player last year but then they did get relegated....like West Brom and Johnny Evans who we are interested in.

Makes you wonder wants going on...

Holding was playing for Bolton reserves when we signed him
Chambers was at Boro who got relegated
We’re linked to Evans who will suffer the same faith.
We signed Mustafi who Valencia was desperate to get shot of
We’ve signed a Greek kid who was playing for team I never heard of.

No surprise the back line has been rubbish.

Burney

I must admit that I would normally associate hyperbole with excessive positivity rather than negativity, though (as in 'hype'). There ought to be a specific word for excessive and exaggerated negativity.

Peter
03-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Hmmm, other than one or two moments I thought Chambers played quite well, it brought back memories of his first season with us when he looked like a good player. Kolasinac is never going to be Baresi defensively but goodness me some of his touches going forward were a joy to watch. And I can't remember muttering 'useless Welsh tw@t' once the entire game. Quite remarkable.

Even Xhaka seemed to be in the right position more often than not. In fact, other than Welbeck being utterly dire for the first 40 minutes or so, I don't think anyone played badly that I recall.

It was almost like not watching Arsenal. :-)

Its a shame I didnt watch it then because they are all still marked as useless ****s in my book. Until I see something to the contrary....:)

redgunamo
Are you calling him gay?

Oh, he won't mind me saying that, I'm sure.

Luis Anaconda
I am here you know.

:) I was drinking whiskey til gone 2 - I am not going to be in a good mood until I've had breakfast*

* Friday lunchtime drink

redgunamo
03-09-2018, 10:13 AM
Its a shame I didnt watch it then because they are all still marked as useless ****s in my book. Until I see something to the contrary....:)

Not easy if you don't watch them, I should've thought?

Peter
03-09-2018, 10:14 AM
:) I was drinking whiskey til gone 2 - I am not going to be in a good mood until I've had breakfast*

* Friday lunchtime drink

Good heavens. I cant drink whiskey any more. It makes me slightly insane. If I stick to Guinness it hugely decreases the chances of arrest.

Peter
03-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Not easy if you don't watch them, I should've thought?

Sorry, not my problem. You're only as good as your last game (that I saw) :)

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:15 AM
You could look at what he doesnt do for a more balanced view.

He is capable for being a very good footballer but not, I fear, under Wenger. He needs more direction than he gets with us.

I suppose one's point of view depends on whether one sees football through the eyes of Cruyff or Pulis.

Do you ever watch the game naked save for a baseball cap?

Peter
Oh, he won't mind me saying that, I'm sure.

It is quite similar to when you get a gay hound.

Isnt it?

World's End Stella

Ramsey was actually pretty quiet other than the goal and one through ball I seem to recall. Possibly because we were murdering them down our left where Kola, Mikkie and Ozil were torturing their midget right back. A midget right back whose response to being ripped apart was to throw himself to the pitch screaming and then laying there hoping play would be stopped. Followed by mock indignation at the ref. All designed to deflect attention away from the fact that he was rubbish.

He was about 5'5" by the look of him. I've always said never to trust a short man. Never.

redgunamo

* Friday lunchtime drink

I was on the sake until the wee small hours. Perfectly foul.

The breakfast beer took on a different level of importance after that.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:16 AM
I must admit that I would normally associate hyperbole with excessive positivity rather than negativity, though (as in 'hype'). There ought to be a specific word for excessive and exaggerated negativity.

Nah. It works equally well both ways. 'Exaggeration for effect.' I remember it being described to me thus whilst I was at school.

Peter
I suppose one's point of view depends on whether one sees football through the eyes of Cruyff or Pulis.

Do you ever watch the game naked save for a baseball cap?

There are few more distressing sights than that of an englishman in a baseball cap.

Name the song! :o

redgunamo
Sorry, not my problem. You're only as good as your last game (that I saw) :)

:hehe: lol.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Ramsey was actually pretty quiet other than the goal and one through ball I seem to recall. Possibly because we were murdering them down our left where Kola, Mikkie and Ozil were torturing their midget right back. A midget right back whose response to being ripped apart was to throw himself to the pitch screaming and then laying there hoping play would be stopped. Followed by mock indignation at the ref. All designed to deflect attention away from the fact that he was rubbish.

He was about 5'5" by the look of him. I've always said never to trust a short man. Never.

Bit harsh on Berni.

redgunamo
03-09-2018, 10:18 AM
It is quite similar to when you get a gay hound.

Isnt it?

Oh, hounds are never "gay", as such. Everyone enjoys recreational sex though.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:19 AM
There are few more distressing sights than that of an englishman in a baseball cap.

Name the song! :o

Is it some Smiths nonsense?

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Bit harsh on Berni.

True - but only a bit. I mean, he doesn't get this round in, as an example. :shrug:

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:20 AM
True - but only a bit. I mean, he doesn't get this round in, as an example. :shrug:

Oh, he's never, ever left me thirsty. I can assure you of that.

Quite the contrary, usually. :-(

Ash
03-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Here are some hyperbolic functions:

https://www.quizover.com/ocw/mirror/col11964_1.2_complete/m53481/CNX_Calc_Figure_01_05_011.jpg

You could accuse him of being parabolic instead, to add some variation, or variance as statcùnts might say.

http://cdn-4.analyzemath.com/DomainRange/range_graphs/graph_parabola.jpg

That's clearly over-the-top.

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 10:23 AM

To be fair to the vertically challenged, Frimmers is also a midget and he is rather quick to the bar. Exception proves the rule etc etc perhaps.

redgunamo
03-09-2018, 10:25 AM

Yes. Not sure we really needed to hear that, just before lunch :-\

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Good heavens. I cant drink whiskey any more. It makes me slightly insane. If I stick to Guinness it hugely decreases the chances of arrest.

whiskey keeps me sober *

*this is a lie

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2018, 10:27 AM
I was on the sake until the wee small hours. Perfectly foul.

The breakfast beer took on a different level of importance after that.

Evil stuff, r. I only drink it when absolutely necessary (sake - not beer, of course)

Burney
03-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Nah. It works equally well both ways. 'Exaggeration for effect.' I remember it being described to me thus whilst I was at school.

I know that's the definition, but the usage does tend to suggest positivity rather than negativity. Hence the need for a new word to describe the Eeyoreish wallowing in negativity seen in Arsena FanTV.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:42 AM
I know that's the definition, but the usage does tend to suggest positivity rather than negativity. Hence the need for a new word to describe the Eeyoreish wallowing in negativity seen in Arsena FanTV.

No it doesn't.

Peter
03-09-2018, 10:42 AM
Is it some Smiths nonsense?

Nope. More contemporary....

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:45 AM
Nope. More contemporary....

Something really modern? Wait. I know some of these. Stormy? Erm, no, that's the only one :-(

Lady Gaga maybe?

Burney
03-09-2018, 10:46 AM
No it doesn't.

Yes it does. Is 'hype' ever negative?

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Yes it does. Is 'hype' ever negative?

No it doesn't. What's 'hype' got to do with it? The word in question is 'hyperbole'.

Burney
03-09-2018, 10:49 AM
No it doesn't. What's 'hype' got to do with it? The word in question is 'hyperbole'.

And 'hype' is simply a contraction of 'hyperbole' derived from the latter's innately positive overtones.

Peter
03-09-2018, 10:55 AM
Something really modern? Wait. I know some of these. Stormy? Erm, no, that's the only one :-(

Lady Gaga maybe?

Its The Libertines.

Old hat to some, frightfully modern to me....

redgunamo
03-09-2018, 10:56 AM
Its The Libertines.

Never heard of them. Who are they when they're at home?

Sir C
03-09-2018, 10:57 AM
Its The Libertines.

I've heard of them. The Winehouse bloke, no? I'm proper down with the kids.

redgunamo
03-09-2018, 10:59 AM
Evil stuff, r. I only drink it when absolutely necessary (sake - not beer, of course)

Agreed. I had to fork out for a Jap food evening out for the wife and bairns last night, so I could watch the football in peace.

The booze came with the doggy bag.

Pokster
I've heard of them. The Winehouse bloke, no? I'm proper down with the kids.

That's the one... made 1 half decent song and that seems about it from what i can gather

Ash

An absurdly over-rated, over-hyped ultra-fashionable NME-type band, who achieved some level of popularity a decade-or-two back because people were told to like them by the NM fùcking E. Fronted by a complete tosspot.

Just my opinion of course, but HTH :thumbup:

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:00 AM

They were the subject of a great deal of hyperbole around10-15 years ago :)

Kids, Camden, drugs, all that.

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:01 AM
An absurdly over-rated, over-hyped ultra-fashionable NME-type band, who achieved some level of popularity a decade-or-two back because people were told to like them by the NM fùcking E. Fronted by a complete tosspot.

It perhaps lacks a little balance but it isnt a completely inaccurate description.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 11:02 AM

The singly most over-rated and hyped band in the history of recorded music, perhaps with the exception of The Strokes.

NME darlings.

redgunamo
03-09-2018, 11:02 AM

Such a powerful argument compels full agreement and no further questions asked, I reckon.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 11:03 AM
The singly most over-rated and hyped band in the history of recorded music, perhaps with the exception of The Strokes.

NME darlings.

Hyperbole. Classic example.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 11:03 AM

I would struggle to concur with this post more even if I wrote it myself.

Wd A.

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:06 AM

NME darlings.

Hmmm.... werent Suede on the cover of NME or MelodyMaker before they had even released a single?

Sir C
03-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Hmmm.... werent Suede on the cover of NME or MelodyMaker before they had even released a single?

Everyone lost their shít about Sigue Sigue Sputnik, for fúck's sake.

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2018, 11:08 AM

NME darlings.
I quite liked them :hide:

SWv2
03-09-2018, 11:09 AM

Not sure tbh. They were for sure music media darlings around the time of their first album, headlined the NME stage at Glastonbury on the Friday night, criminally pushing Teenage Fanclub into the support slot.

Thing is the media moved on quickly, almost dropped them when Bernard Butler left.

The Libertines took drugs which was a massive part of their cool. Whatever talent they had was almost secondary.

redgunamo
03-09-2018, 11:10 AM

The Theo Walcotts of pop?

Peter

I liked bits of it. But then I also liked The Strokes. And Suede :)

And The Smiths, who seem to take a bashing here on a fairly regular basis.

As with all things, I seem to be a little out of step with the rest of Awimb.

SWv2

I am going to take a speculative stab in the dark here and suggest you were drunk when you heard them.

:guinness:

Sir C
03-09-2018, 11:11 AM

You're a bit of a Camden / Highgate trendy though. I bet you used to hang out doing smack with Amy and everything.

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:11 AM
The Theo Walcotts of pop?

Maybe the Michael Owen. They were seriously ****ing good at first and got gradually worse as they went along.

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:14 AM
Not sure tbh. They were for sure music media darlings around the time of their first album, headlined the NME stage at Glastonbury on the Friday night, criminally pushing Teenage Fanclub into the support slot.

Thing is the media moved on quickly, almost dropped them when Bernard Butler left.

The Libertines took drugs which was a massive part of their cool. Whatever talent they had was almost secondary.

It was Melody Maker, dubbing them the Best New Band in Britain before they had released a sodding thing.

I saw Teenage Fanclub at the Garage in Highbury. Great fun...

I think the media moved on from Suede because they were focused on Oasis and Blur. That said, the first two albums are great and it is patchy from then on.

Burney
03-09-2018, 11:20 AM
I liked bits of it. But then I also liked The Strokes. And Suede :)

And The Smiths, who seem to take a bashing here on a fairly regular basis.

As with all things, I seem to be a little out of step with the rest of Awimb.

The Smiths were - quite simply - the best band these islands have produced since The Beatles. Only closet cases affect to dislike them.

IUFG
03-09-2018, 11:25 AM
The Smiths were - quite simply - the best band these islands have produced since The Beatles. Only closet cases affect to dislike them.

The Smiths? they were very meh!

But different to most DX7 pressing 80's acts, I'll give you that.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 11:26 AM
It was Melody Maker, dubbing them the Best New Band in Britain before they had released a sodding thing.

I saw Teenage Fanclub at the Garage in Highbury. Great fun...

I think the media moved on from Suede because they were focused on Oasis and Blur. That said, the first two albums are great and it is patchy from then on.

Garage was a great venue. Fall out and roll home down the Holloway Road or Highbury Fields.

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Garage was a great venue. Fall out and roll home down the Holloway Road or Highbury Fields.

It had possibly the worst toilets I have seen. You were literallywading through piss. It was easier to just stand at the door and point.

But yes, a great venue. Teenage Fan Club were supported by the MAnic Street Preachers at one of their earliest gigs. I spilt the singer's pint after their set.

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I am not sure I would go that far but they were in a league of their own.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 11:32 AM
The Smiths? they were very meh!

But different to most DX7 pressing 80's acts, I'll give you that.

The 80s is often very unfairly maligned as a bad period for music and is terribly inaccurate, similar to how many people frown on the management of GG at Arsenal focusing only on the latter period and forgetting the brilliance of the earlier years.

The 80s had obviously The Jam and The Style Council but also bands such as The Smiths, Pixies, The Pogues, The Waterboys and then towards the end The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and the early days of The Wonder Stuff, PWEI and many others.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 11:34 AM
It had possibly the worst toilets I have seen. You were literallywading through piss. It was easier to just stand at the door and point.

But yes, a great venue. Teenage Fan Club were supported by the MAnic Street Preachers at one of their earliest gigs. I spilt the singer's pint after their set.

It's the jacks for fúcks sake.

What do you want to do, eat a fúcking sandwich in there.

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:41 AM
The 80s is often very unfairly maligned as a bad period for music and is terribly inaccurate, similar to how many people frown on the management of GG at Arsenal focusing only on the latter period and forgetting the brilliance of the earlier years.

The 80s had obviously The Jam and The Style Council but also bands such as The Smiths, Pixies, The Pogues, The Waterboys and then towards the end The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays and the early days of The Wonder Stuff, PWEI and many others.

Music is often packaged as 'movements' by the record industry and media rather than the simple trend/fashion that it is. When people talk about 80smusic they dont mean the stuff you mention.

I mean the 80s saw horrific stadium rock bands dominate the hard rock genre- but it also saw Guns n Roses reverse that trend by making a genuinely great rock album. Followed by Aerosmith returning to form, the Black Crowes etc....but people remember Bon Jovi and Poison for the haircuts. They are more likely to think of Stock Aitken and Walterman than THe Stone Roses or The Wonder Stuff.

Every decade has some great music, some more than others. Its only silly people in media who like to castigate or celebrate an entire decade of music, usually based on some highly tenuous 'cultural critique' . The other day I read a piece from the Guardian saying that Britpop destroyed british music by being too english in its outlook and cultural references, becoming a cultural abomination that turned its back on british music's heritage of having an. International outlook. What total and utter *******s. As though The Smiths, just a few years before, werent horrifically english in their lyrics and outlook...as though Bowie, Syd Barrett, the Small Faces, Pink Floyd and Chas n Dave didnt do exactly the same.

redgunamo
03-09-2018, 11:42 AM

What do you wan to do, eat a fúcking sandwich in there.

:nod: Only girls care about the toilets.

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:43 AM

What do you wan to do, eat a fúcking sandwich in there.

Normal expectation would be an ability to approach the urinal without being ankle deep in piss. an expectation generally met at every other venue, I might add. Even the old Marquee.

I am not saying its a deal breaker. Just, you know, dont put your dancing shoes on :)

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:43 AM
:nod: Only girls care about the toilets.

THe girls toilets were better, actually. But not much

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 11:44 AM

Really? Who maligns the 80s music, exactly?

As a decade, it was miles better than the 70s (which is the worst decade for music EVER) and I can't even remember anything from the 90s it was so bland.

I assumed everyone recognized the 80s as one of the best decades ever for music. :shrug:

Sir C
03-09-2018, 11:44 AM
THe girls toilets were better, actually. But not much

You need a comfortable cubicle to partake of a line or two.

IUFG
03-09-2018, 11:46 AM

Agreed - I listened to a lot of Chicago House in the 80's, top stuff. There was some decent stuff in the 80's, especially towards the end. Hip Hop and acid house broke through FFS :cloud9:

But to place The Smiths at the zenith of British music since the Beatles . . . :-|

SWv2
03-09-2018, 11:48 AM

As a decade, it was miles better than the 70s (which is the worst decade for music EVER) and I can't even remember anything from the 90s it was so bland.

I assumed everyone recognized the 80s as one of the best decades ever for music. :shrug:

No, as Pedro has for once correctly pointed out it is often looked back on as bland, the decade that gave us Rick Astley and big hair.

The 90s you see as bland but had 3-4 years of so called Brit Pop when music was saved from death. Perhaps the death of the 80s.

IUFG
03-09-2018, 11:49 AM
... I can't even remember anything from the 90s it was so bland.

Sampling? Brit pop? The fragmentation of dance music into countless genres?, Hip Hop becoming mainstream, etc, etc

SWv2
03-09-2018, 11:49 AM
Agreed - I listened to a lot of Chicago House in the 80's, top stuff. There was some decent stuff in the 80's, especially towards the end. Hip Hop and acid house broke through FFS :cloud9:

But to place The Smiths at the zenith of British music since the Beatles . . . :-|

Well you see B has said this to try and illicit a response from me as you and I both can see that he has chosen to overlook The Jam.

Thankfully I am wise to his moves.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Sampling? Brit pop? The fragmentation of dance music into countless genres?, Hip Hop becoming mainstream, etc, etc

Some absolutely superb music released in the 90s.

Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Leftism, Blue Lines, Maxinquaye, Screamadelica.

They are just the very obvious ones that most people will own.

Maybe not The Orb.

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:55 AM

Yeah the 70s was awful, you are right. I mean you had to put up with the likes of Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Dylan, Leoanard Cohen, Neil Young, Aerosmith, Skynyrd, The Who, The Stones, all near the height of their powers. As if that wasn't bad enough you then had to put up with punk later in the decade.

Awful....just awful :)

Burney
03-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Well you see B has said this to try and illicit a response from me as you and I both can see that he has chosen to overlook The Jam.

Thankfully I am wise to his moves.

I am not overlooking The Jam, sw. They were simply hugely inferior to The Smiths. This is a fact. Not a question of taste or opinion, a F-A-C-T.

Peter
03-09-2018, 11:58 AM
I am not overlooking The Jam, sw. They were simply hugely inferior to The Smiths. This is a fact. Not a question of taste or opinion, a F-A-C-T.

100%. It really, really shouldn't need saying.

IUFG
03-09-2018, 11:59 AM
Maybe not The Orb.

of course, you left out Orbital II (the 'brown album') and Exit Planet Dust but, I'll let it go... ;-)

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:00 PM
Yeah the 70s was awful, you are right. I mean you had to put up with the likes of Zeppelin, Purple, Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Dylan, Leoanard Cohen, Neil Young, Aerosmith, Skynyrd, The Who, The Stones, all near the height of their powers. As if that wasn't bad enough you then had to put up with punk later in the decade.

Awful....just awful :)

I'm not disagreeing with you (other than to point out the glaring omission of Bowie, of course, but I'll put that down to carelessness on your part), but I do have to point out that the Stones were well past their best in the 70s. Exile on Main St was - in point of fact - sh1te.

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:01 PM
Some absolutely superb music released in the 90s.

Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, Dubnobasswithmyheadman, Leftism, Blue Lines, Maxinquaye, Screamadelica.

They are just the very obvious ones that most people will own.

Maybe not The Orb.

Leftism, ffs

SWv2
03-09-2018, 12:02 PM
of course, you left out Orbital II (the 'brown album') and Exit Planet Dust but, I'll let it go... ;-)

I listened to this just the other day so you can apologise whenever you are ready.

:vsign:

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:02 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you (other than to point out the glaring omission of Bowie, of course, but I'll put that down to carelessness on your part), but I do have to point out that the Stones were well past their best in the 70s. Exile on Main St was - in point of fact - sh1te.

Ok, Bowie should be in there. It wasnt an exhaustive list. I mean, I didnt even get to putin Wings or the Eagles :)

Exile onMain Street- and I want to be very clear about this, b- is not, in any way, ****. I simply will not have that, I'm sorry.

We are not far from 'formal apology' territory here....

IUFG
03-09-2018, 12:04 PM
Leftism, ffs

now, now, b. Your nescient approach to music is shining through brightly in this thread already...

You're only making it worse for yourself.

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Ok, Bowie should be in there. It wasnt an exhaustive list. I mean, I didnt even get to putin Wings or the Eagles :)

Exile onMain Street- and I want to be very clear about this, b- is not, in any way, ****. I simply will not have that, I'm sorry.

OK. I have perhaps negatively exaggerated. However, Exile on Main Street is yet another example of why double albums are a terrible, terrible idea. A strong single album ruined by being crammed with tedious filler to bulk it out to double status. This is the case for all double albums ever made.

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2018, 12:18 PM
You're a bit of a Camden / Highgate trendy though. I bet you used to hang out doing smack with Amy and everything.

I did enjoy a drink with her once - lovely girl

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:20 PM
OK. I have perhaps negatively exaggerated. However, Exile on Main Street is yet another example of why double albums are a terrible, terrible idea. A strong single album ruined by being crammed with tedious filler to bulk it out to double status. This is the case for all double albums ever made.

Definitely true. The River is a great example of that. A terrible double album that would have been one of his best as a single.

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:21 PM
I did enjoy a drink with her once - lovely girl

I saw here in the Mixer a few times although that was before she was famous.

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:24 PM

'In the mixer' in the Ron Atkinson sense? Was she giving it eyebrows at the near post? Doing lollipops?

I miss Ron. :-(

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:28 PM
'In the mixer' in the Ron Atkinson sense? Was she giving it eyebrows at the near post? Doing lollipops?

I miss Ron. :-(

The Good Mixer, b. A popular Camden boozer. A pub where the use of a quick little eyebrows at the bar is essential in being able to get a drink.

In Ron's world there is no such thing as a near post. There is a first and second post, but no near, far, front or back.

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Definitely true. The River is a great example of that. A terrible double album that would have been one of his best as a single.

There are no exceptions. This is an immutable rule of popular music. Use Your Illusion, Sign O' The Times, Songs In The Key Of Life, Physical Graffiti, Blonde on Blonde, The White Album - it applies to all of them.

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:30 PM
The Good Mixer, b. A popular Camden boozer. A pub where the use of a quick little eyebrows at the bar is essential in being able to get a drink.

In Ron's world there is no such thing as a near post. There is a first and second post, but no near, far, front or back.

Actually, wasn't it 'the back stick'? Weren't people always 'popping up at the back stick'?

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:31 PM
There are no exceptions. This is an immutable rule of popular music. Appetite for Destruction, Sign O' The Times, Songs In The Key Of Life, Physical Graffiti, Blonde on Blonde, The White Album - it applies to all of them.

Appetite for Destruction was a brilliant single album. You are thinking of Use Your Illusion which was not only a double album but Two double albums split in two and released on the same day.

Physical Graffiti is very good for a double album and probably comes closest to making it work.

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:32 PM
Actually, wasn't it 'the back stick'? Weren't people always 'popping up at the back stick'?

Not for Ron. Second post. I believe he did used to refer to the back door, though.

He was the first manager to really embrace black footballers you know? He used to make them sit at the back of the team bus :(

Old school sense of humour, I hope.....

Burney
03-09-2018, 12:33 PM
Appetite for Destruction was a brilliant single album. You are thinking of Use Your Illusion which was not only a double album but Two double albums split in two and released on the same day.

Physical Graffiti is very good for a double album and probably comes closest to making it work.

Sorry, yes. I realised my mistake and edited it. Disagree on PG. It was very much their swansong in every sense.

Luis Anaconda
03-09-2018, 12:34 PM

Yep - great pub back in the day

barrybueno
03-09-2018, 12:51 PM

:nono: That's a nick in these modern times P

Peter
03-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Sorry, yes. I realised my mistake and edited it. Disagree on PG. It was very much their swansong in every sense.

Phys Graf is a great album. It would be a greater one as a single but there are only 3 or 4 songs I would lose.

Presence and In THrough The Out Door are the ones I avoid.

Ash
03-09-2018, 12:59 PM

The second most extraordinary thing about this post is that it is the first time I have seen you say you like the Beatles.

Burney
03-09-2018, 01:00 PM
The second most extraordinary thing about this post is that it is the first time I have seen you say you like the Beatles.

I didn't say I liked them. I do grudgingly admire them, though.

Ash
03-09-2018, 01:01 PM

It is where I met Ms A one Friday night in 1995. :-) She asked me for a light.

wd The Garage.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-09-2018, 01:02 PM
I thought you said She asked me for a fight

Burney
03-09-2018, 01:03 PM
It is where I met Ms A one Friday night in 1995. :-) She asked me for a light.

wd The Garage.

Awwww. That's sweet. The other day, I realised that i ended up with both my long-term partners because I propositioned them while extremely drunk.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 01:46 PM
There are no exceptions. This is an immutable rule of popular music. Use Your Illusion, Sign O' The Times, Songs In The Key Of Life, Physical Graffiti, Blonde on Blonde, The White Album - it applies to all of them.

22 Dreams is a stonewall classic.

Pokster
03-09-2018, 01:58 PM

You sir, are completly wrong on this F A C T.. the Jam were far superior to anyone who actually likes music, the Smiths were for people who pretended they like music and thought it was cool to be into them.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 02:10 PM
You sir, are completly wrong on this F A C T.. the Jam were far superior to anyone who actually likes music, the Smiths were for people who pretended they like music and thought it was cool to be into them.

Thanks P.

There is a lot of people on here who think you're a **** but I have always argued your corner.

Burney
03-09-2018, 02:10 PM
22 Dreams is a stonewall classic.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! :hehe:

Viva Prat Vegas
03-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Agreed SW
Pokster is largely OK

Ash
03-09-2018, 02:18 PM

Oh, I say. Well played Pokster.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 02:22 PM
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!! :hehe:

You are just being mean to me so I shall bid you good day.

:-(

Pokster
03-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Thanks P.

There is a lot of people on here who think you're a **** but I have always argued your corner.

They are correct sw, but since they are usually even bigger ****s i don't care

Pokster
03-09-2018, 02:28 PM
Agreed SW
Pokster is largely OK

I thank you for those kind words

Peter
03-09-2018, 02:33 PM

The Jam always appeared to me to be for people who actually like haircuts. When it comes to music its hardly ****ing Mozart is it....

Nothing wrong with it at all, just massively, massively overrated. And Weller is of course a ****. I can prove it.

Pokster
03-09-2018, 02:34 PM
The Jam always appeared to me to be for people who actually like haircuts. When it comes to music its hardly ****ing Mozart is it....

Nothing wrong with it at all, just massively, massively overrated. And Weller is of course a ****. I can prove it.

Go on then

SWv2
03-09-2018, 02:35 PM

I just got my haircut this lunchtime.

A number 1 fading into a number 3.

:cloud9:

Sir C
03-09-2018, 02:36 PM

I like it. There's a place for pop music. The Jam, Kylie Minogue, Lena Zavarone. It's nice.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 02:38 PM
I like it. There's a place for pop music. The Jam, Kylie Minogue, Lena Zavarone. It's nice.

Too obvious.

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 02:39 PM

Well said, Peter. The bit about Exile anyway, the 70s was still packed with guitar soloing nonsense that made my ears ring.

Tumbling Dice remains one of the greatest Stones songs and without question one of the all time great guitar lines. From Sweet Virginia to Shine a Light to Ventilator Blues to...I could go no and on.

Add this to a love of the Smiths and I'm afraid I have no option but to conclude that Burney knows as much about music as he does about burgers. :nono:

Pokster
03-09-2018, 02:40 PM

A fade to grey then

SWv2
03-09-2018, 02:41 PM
A fade to grey then

Listen pal, getting any fúcking lecture on hair from you is a step too far.

Peter
03-09-2018, 02:41 PM
Go on then

The **** trod on my foot in Marylebone and made no attempt whatsoever to apologise. In that precise moment I looked into his soul and became100% convinced that if you bought him a pint he would not buy you one back. You know as well as I do that you can spot these people a mile off. WEll, I briefly saw into his soul and I know it for sure.....

What a ****!

Ash
03-09-2018, 02:42 PM

Hardly fùcking Mozart?

Well it wouldn't be would it? Because it's not fùcking classical music. Cloth-eared, Almunia-loving cùnt.

Now look what you made me do.

Ash
03-09-2018, 02:43 PM

You usually include Joe Dolce on these sort of lists.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 02:44 PM
You usually include Joe Dolce on these sort of lists.

Shaddap you face a.

Peter
03-09-2018, 02:44 PM
Well said, Peter. The bit about Exile anyway, the 70s was still packed with guitar soloing nonsense that made my ears ring.

Tumbling Dice remains one of the greatest Stones songs and without question one of the all time great guitar lines. From Sweet Virginia to Shine a Light to Ventilator Blues to...I could go no and on.

Add this to a love of the Smiths and I'm afraid I have no option but to conclude that Burney knows as much about music as he does about burgers. :nono:

**** it, I am hooked from song one. Rocks Off is ****ing great.

The Smiths were amazing in a 'you had to be there' kind of you. Looking back now it is not amazing but still incredibly good. If you like that sort of thing. I can see why some people dont. I mean, believeit or not there are people who dont like the Velvet Underground.

Burney likes Roxy Music and has the guts to admit it, on here. He is alright in my book.

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 02:46 PM
The **** trod on my foot in Marylebone and made no attempt whatsoever to apologise. In that precise moment I looked into his soul and became100% convinced that if you bought him a pint he would not buy you one back. You know as well as I do that you can spot these people a mile off. WEll, I briefly saw into his soul and I know it for sure.....

What a ****!

You just described Burney :nod:

Pokster
03-09-2018, 02:46 PM
Listen pal, getting any fúcking lecture on hair from you is a step too far.

I'm too sexy for my hair

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 02:48 PM
**** it, I am hooked from song one. Rocks Off is ****ing great.

The Smiths were amazing in a 'you had to be there' kind of you. Looking back now it is not amazing but still incredibly good. If you like that sort of thing. I can see why some people dont. I mean, believeit or not there are people who dont like the Velvet Underground.

Burney likes Roxy Music and has the guts to admit it, on here. He is alright in my book.

Someone once said that The Smiths was music you liked until you grew up and realized it was sh1t.

In fact, I thought it was Burney (sounds like him) but must have been someone else. Oh, and they were right. :-)

Peter
03-09-2018, 02:50 PM
Hardly fùcking Mozart?

Well it wouldn't be would it? Because it's not fùcking classical music. Cloth-eared, Almunia-loving cùnt.

Now look what you made me do.

Exactly. It is in fact incredibly simple music played by people are generally incredibly simple. We dont love these bands because they are musically wonderful- we fall for what they are saying, how they say it, how they look, how the riff or the drum roll makes you feel.

We all know that all arguments about which band is better are rather silly. THe defence on the grounds of music is probably the silliest.

If we want our bands to be great musicians then surely we should all be listening to Floyd and Zeppelin.

Peter
03-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Someone once said that The Smiths was music you liked until you grew up and realized it was sh1t.

In fact, I thought it was Burney (sounds like him) but must have been someone else. Oh, and they were right. :-)

So you used to like The Smiths?

IUFG
03-09-2018, 02:55 PM
If we want our bands to be great musicians then surely we should all be listening to Floyd and Zeppelin.

Well, Immigrant Song was on Radio 2 this morning. The actual music is ok, classic rock guitar riff and and rhythm.

The lyrics? Bag of shíte. Couldn't they have found something better to sing about to that soundrack?

Burney
03-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Fading upwards or downwards?

IUFG
03-09-2018, 02:56 PM
Fading upwards or downwards?

I thought that :hehe:

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 02:57 PM
So you used to like The Smiths?

No, never. I was always too grown up for that. Not everyone was, of course, and I've grown to accept their lack of good fortune.

Burney
03-09-2018, 02:58 PM
Well, Immigrant Song was on Radio 2 this morning. The actual music is ok, classic rock guitar riff and and rhythm.

The lyrics? Bag of shíte. Couldn't they have found something better to sing about to that soundrack?

Immigrant Song cracks me up every time. Particularly when Percy Plant puts on that cod-Scandi accent to go 'Hemmer off ze godz' :hehe:

A truly preposterous band, Zeppelin.

Peter
03-09-2018, 02:58 PM

They wrote that song in Reykjavik after a night on the piss. I talked a lot of **** when I was there so I will let them off.

THeir lyrics were generally pretty ****.

Burney
03-09-2018, 02:59 PM
I thought that :hehe:

Downwards would be funnier.

Peter
03-09-2018, 02:59 PM
No, never. I was always too grown up for that. Not everyone was, of course, and I've grown to accept their lack of good fortune.

So how can you possibly know that the statement above is true? You didn't like them when you were young, you couldnt stop liking them when you grew up.

For you, at least, it clearly isnt true. Nor for me or Burney.

So it isnt true. Case closed!

Peter
03-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Immigrant Song cracks me up every time. Particularly when Percy Plant puts on that cod-Scandi accent to go 'Hemmer off ze godz' :hehe:

A truly preposterous band, Zeppelin.

Hard to argue with that :hehe:

IUFG
03-09-2018, 03:00 PM

:nod: I did have an image in my mind . . .

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Like Pink Floyd, they had a few very good songs and an awful lot of filler.

Whole Lotta Love is hard to argue with imo.

Burney
03-09-2018, 03:06 PM
Like Pink Floyd, they had a few very good songs and an awful lot of filler.

Whole Lotta Love is hard to argue with imo.

Whole Lotta Love is just a riff. And not an original one. :shrug: Are we asking no more?

Burney
03-09-2018, 03:07 PM

'Felhella we arrrr cummink' :hehe:

SWv2
03-09-2018, 03:07 PM

I'm not a traveller.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-09-2018, 03:09 PM
IUFG " I did have an image in my mind . . ."

:hehe:

Mick Miller or Terry Mancini ?

Viva Prat Vegas
03-09-2018, 03:10 PM
Burney "'Felhella we arrrr cummink' "

That sounds like Father Abraham

Ash
03-09-2018, 03:12 PM
Exactly. It is in fact incredibly simple music played by people are generally incredibly simple. We dont love these bands because they are musically wonderful- we fall for what they are saying, how they say it, how they look, how the riff or the drum roll makes you feel.

We all know that all arguments about which band is better are rather silly. THe defence on the grounds of music is probably the silliest.

It isn't particularly simple by the standard of rock or pop. I don't know why you are setting the basic bar of musicianship or composition arrangements at the level of prog rock - that is absurd.

Foxton is a better bassist than most anyway. Thunderous riffs on such as Tube Station and Eating Trifles.

Burney
03-09-2018, 03:14 PM
It isn't particularly simple by the standard of rock or pop. I don't know why you are setting the basic bar of musicianship or composition arrangements at the level of prog rock - that is absurd.

Foxton is a better bassist than most anyway. Thunderous riffs on such as Tube Station and Eating Trifles.

'Thunderous riffs'? :hehe: There speaks a man whose musical lexicon was heavily shaped by the NME. ;-)

Viva Prat Vegas
03-09-2018, 03:17 PM
:music: The ace of spades :spades:

IUFG
03-09-2018, 03:18 PM
IUFG " I did have an image in my mind . . ."

:hehe:

Mick Miller or Terry Mancini ?

Terry Mancini doing The Big Match...

Ash
03-09-2018, 03:19 PM
'Thunderous riffs'? :hehe: There speaks a man whose musical lexicon was heavily shaped by the NME. ;-)

Coming from the man with sub-Paul Morley wallpaper. :hehe:

I always wondered what that sort of thing was supposed to mean.

Peter
03-09-2018, 03:23 PM

I'm not knocking them. I mean, one painter and decorator may be inherently better than another but you dont give them the keys to the Sistine Chapel.

If you are attracted to a band because of their bass player then there is either something seriously wrong with you or the rest of the band are ****ing awful. In this case it seems to be a little from column A, a little from column B :)

Peter
03-09-2018, 03:24 PM

The bass on Tube Station is pretty good. But it is surely the vocal and lyrics that makes that song what it is.

Ash
03-09-2018, 03:25 PM
I'm not knocking them. I mean, one painter and decorator may be inherently better than another but you dont give them the keys to the Sistine Chapel.

If you are attracted to a band because of their bass player then there is either something seriously wrong with you or the rest of the band are ****ing awful. In this case it seems to be a little from column A, a little from column B :)

Seriously, you are such a complete and utter cùnt that I can no longer continue to converse with you.

Fùck off.

Peter
03-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Seriously, you are such a complete and utter cùnt that I can no longer continue to converse with you.

Fùck off.

Wow. That is rather harsh..... and on my birthday as well :(

Sir C
03-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Fùck off.

:-( Now you two shake hands and make up. I won't have this of a Friday.

Burney
03-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Fùck off.

Blimey, a! You are approaching positively sw-like levels of Weller-related sensitivity.

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 03:28 PM

Fùck off.

BOOM!!!

I always liked the bass line on Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. And Sympathy for the Devil.

Peter
03-09-2018, 03:31 PM
Blimey, a! You are approaching positively sw-like levels of Weller-related sensitivity.

This isn't even Weller. Its about bleedin' Foxton!

I suppose I did suggest there might be something seriously wrong with him, which was of course a joke...I feel bad now. :(

Viva Prat Vegas
03-09-2018, 03:33 PM
Happy Birthday to Provocative Peter

How old might one be ?

SWv2
03-09-2018, 03:34 PM

It is my son's birthday today also.

This is odd.

Burney
03-09-2018, 03:34 PM
:-( Now you two shake hands and make up. I won't have this of a Friday.

Oh, it's the bassist thing, isn't it? a feels his instrument has been maligned. :-(

Burney
03-09-2018, 03:35 PM

I suppose I did suggest there might be something seriously wrong with him, which was of course a joke...I feel bad now. :(

Happy birthday, p. Now say sorry to a like a good gentleman.

Sir C
03-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Oh, it's the bassist thing, isn't it? a feels his instrument has been maligned. :-(

One so hates to start the weekend on a sour note. :-(

Perhaps I will mix myself a nice negroni and try to get over it.

Burney
03-09-2018, 03:36 PM

It's still too cold for negronis in my book. A summer drink.

Is 'negroni' racist, do you think?

Peter
03-09-2018, 03:37 PM

Oh ****. Is he a bassist?

In my defence I didnt know that. If I had I would definitely still have said it all but would have considered putting a smiley face at the end :) (like so)

Sir C
03-09-2018, 03:38 PM

Just use half the ice :shrood:

It's Italian, so, yes, it's racist :shrug:

PSRB
03-09-2018, 03:39 PM

Seen him in his underpants, not a pretty sight. He was knocking off a barmaid that lived above my local, I was also involved with another barmaid who also lived there.

Peter
Happy birthday, p. Now say sorry to a like a good gentleman.

IF I have offended anybody then naturally I am full of regret. It was never my intention.

On balance, perhaps I should have gone to the women's conference today.....

SWv2

Fùck off.

I have to be honest, when I read this response I assumed he was addressing B.

Pedro eh.

Peter
03-09-2018, 03:40 PM
It is my son's birthday today also.

This is odd.

Is that you, dad??

Viva Prat Vegas
SW "I have to be honest, when I read this response I assumed he was addressing B.

Pedro eh"

I thought Jorge had returned for a one-off post

SWv2

I have never had a Negroni though just last evening was reading about them.

Tbh I am not sure they would be my thing. Much prefer a pint.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-09-2018, 03:43 PM
As it's Friday I might have an Aperol
Or a glass of water

Burney
03-09-2018, 03:44 PM

On a balmy evening in a Sicilian piazza, they are perfect. A proper, grown up drink.

However, their utility on a late winter evening in Kent is - to my mind - debatable.

Burney
Or a glass of water

An Aperol? Are you an old lady?

Sir C

You wouldn't like it.

Trust me.

Burney
03-09-2018, 03:45 PM
Just use half the ice :shrood:

It's Italian, so, yes, it's racist :shrug:

'Little blacky'? Something like that?

SWv2
03-09-2018, 03:46 PM
You wouldn't like it.

Trust me.

It sounds like a ladies drink. Is it a ladies drink?

Viva Prat Vegas
03-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Burney "An Aperol? Are you an old lady?"

Someone gave me a bottle for Christmas and the quicker it gets drunk, the quicker it's gone

Viva Prat Vegas
03-09-2018, 03:47 PM
I have had two nips out of it

Sir C
03-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Or a glass of water

Just mix it with Prosecco to make an Aperol spritz. Very nice. Or use it in place of Campari in your negroni.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-09-2018, 03:51 PM
Unfortunately I'm clean out of wine right now but your description is exactly how the the liquid which was in the bottle neck was used
I'm even out of ice
Just two empty trays in the freezer from when I defrosted it

World's End Stella
03-09-2018, 03:51 PM

Funny I was recently drinking Negronis with a Frenchman and an Italian in NY and they assured me that they were an après ski drink on the continent. :shrug:

SWv2
03-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Just mix it with Prosecco to make an Aperol spritz. Very nice. Or use it in place of Campari in your negroni.

My Mrs drinks those Aperol Spritz things. They're fúcking vile.

Viva Prat Vegas
03-09-2018, 03:52 PM
A pair of teeth Wesley

Burney
03-09-2018, 03:53 PM

I had an Aperol Spritz on my birthday in Hungary. It was rather nice, I must admit.

redgunamo

Steady now, there.

Sir C

There you go. I suspected you'd find the bitter quality a little challenging.

Luis Anaconda

Happy birthday p

SWv2
03-09-2018, 03:54 PM
There you go. I suspected you'd find the bitter quality a little challenging.

Bit medicine-y for my basic tastes.

Beer, wine and whiskey I'm afraid Dutch. Not a spirits man unless it's early in the am and you can't find anything else.

Burney
03-09-2018, 03:56 PM

My friend, if you ever want to experience a truly vile drink, this is your lad.

I have drunk most things this world has to offer and smiled, but this stuff I found literally impossible to drink.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 03:59 PM
My friend, if you ever want to experience a truly vile drink, this is your lad.

I have drunk most things this world has to offer and smiled, but this stuff I found literally impossible to drink.

Clues in the name there B. You won't catch me drinking that.

I was given a beer a while back by my friendly off-licence manager, a German smoked beer. I tried so desperately to drink it, even held my nose a few times to try and disguise in some way how bad it was.

Had to fúck it down the sink in the end.

I suspect he had a job lot that he needed shot of.

Burney
03-09-2018, 04:01 PM
Clues in the name there B. You won't catch me drinking that.

I was given a beer a while back by my friendly off-licence manager, a German smoked beer. I tried so desperately to drink it, even held my nose a few times to try and disguise in some way how bad it was.

Had to fúck it down the sink in the end.

I suspect he had a job lot that he needed shot of.

I don't really understand why anyone would want to smoke a beer. :shrug:

Sir C
03-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Bit medicine-y for my basic tastes.

Beer, wine and whiskey I'm afraid Dutch. Not a spirits man unless it's early in the am and you can't find anything else.

But what of the single malt? What of the bourbon, the gin, the frozen vodka?

A man should take hi pleasures from many sources, sw. I don't mean bumming.

Burney
03-09-2018, 04:09 PM

Are you saying there's something wrong with bumming?

Sir C
03-09-2018, 04:11 PM
Are you saying there's something wrong with bumming?

:nod: I think it's alright to be down on the gays now b. It's the transers you have to pretend to be ok with.

SWv2
03-09-2018, 04:15 PM

Not for me.

Bourbon is something you might drink when you're hammered, no other time. See also single malt.

I used to drink gin, 4-5 shots in a pint glass topped up with tonic. Not good. Not since either.

Vodka. Not in about 35 years other than in a Bloody Mary but then let's be honest, who the fúck drinks one of them in a pub.

Osborne18
10-26-2018, 01:14 AM
Agreed SW
Pokster is largely OK

eastgermanautos
10-26-2018, 01:51 PM
Music is often packaged as 'movements' by the record industry and media rather than the simple trend/fashion that it is. When people talk about 80smusic they dont mean the stuff you mention.

I mean the 80s saw horrific stadium rock bands dominate the hard rock genre- but it also saw Guns n Roses reverse that trend by making a genuinely great rock album. Followed by Aerosmith returning to form, the Black Crowes etc....but people remember Bon Jovi and Poison for the haircuts. They are more likely to think of Stock Aitken and Walterman than THe Stone Roses or The Wonder Stuff.

Every decade has some great music, some more than others. Its only silly people in media who like to castigate or celebrate an entire decade of music, usually based on some highly tenuous 'cultural critique' . The other day I read a piece from the Guardian saying that Britpop destroyed british music by being too english in its outlook and cultural references, becoming a cultural abomination that turned its back on british music's heritage of having an. International outlook. What total and utter *******s. As though The Smiths, just a few years before, werent horrifically english in their lyrics and outlook...as though Bowie, Syd Barrett, the Small Faces, Pink Floyd and Chas n Dave didnt do exactly the same.

The Cure, my friend. The Cure. Duran Duran. Can you be so myopic? "Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand." Oh yes sweetheart.