Monty92
03-07-2018, 10:22 PM
:-| Nope, it’s no use, I just can’t summon any steffenfreude at the moment

And they’re blatantly gonna win the FA Cup, anyway :-(

Sir C
03-08-2018, 09:09 AM

The pndits were almost weeping, such was their regret at seeing the Great Tottenham Hotspur robbed of their entitlement by oh I can't be bothered.

It does seem odd that the accepted narrative used to be that top 4 and last 16 of the champions league represented failure, but now apparently defines you as the best team in the country. Strange.

Luis Anaconda
03-08-2018, 09:24 AM
The pndits were almost weeping, such was their regret at seeing the Great Tottenham Hotspur robbed of their entitlement by oh I can't be bothered.

It does seem odd that the accepted narrative used to be that top 4 and last 16 of the champions league represented failure, but now apparently defines you as the best team in the country. Strange.

The Times coverage this morning made me want to vomit - and not just that odious **** Winter

Sir C
03-08-2018, 09:26 AM
The Times coverage this morning made me want to vomit - and not just that odious **** Winter

Are you in Milan, dude?

IUFG
03-08-2018, 09:33 AM

Matt Dickinson :puke:

Tottenham’s great adventure is brought to agonising end

Bouncing on the line as the clock struck 90 minutes, there was a moment when it felt as if the ball was deciding whether Tottenham Hotspur had done enough to deserve a bit of good fortune, a lucky kick off the grass.

Of course Wembley has known previous agonies about the ball crossing the line and here, almost as if the stadium was frozen, we watched to see if it would spin into the net, perhaps bounce in off Gianluigi Buffon’s back to save Spurs and take this brilliantly compelling contest into extra time. Another 30 minutes? Most of us would have been delighted.

what a ****

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tottenhams-great-adventure-is-brought-to-agonising-end-gw769z5wd

IUFG
03-08-2018, 09:40 AM

with glossed over coverage of the nailed on pelanty that was not given to Juventus...

Burney
03-08-2018, 09:42 AM

I think the only appropriate emotion in this context is relief, surely?

Just Trent
03-08-2018, 09:51 AM
I think the only appropriate emotion in this context is relief, surely?

Indeed. The combination of a Spurs CL win and yet another year of Arsene :shudder:

Sir C
03-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Indeed. The combination of a Spurs CL win and yet another year of Arsene :shudder:

You were concerned that Spurs might win it? :hehe:

Imagine them coming up against Real Madrid...

Oh. :-(

Luis Anaconda
03-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Are you in Milan, dude?

Sadly not - it wouldn't be the same anyway

Burney
03-08-2018, 09:57 AM

Liverpool won it. Anything can happen. :shrug:

Sir C
03-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Sadly not - it wouldn't be the same anyway

Perhaps a few negronis at lunchtime as a sort of tribute.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-08-2018, 09:59 AM

In general, The Times has really gone downhill over the last few years.

Luis Anaconda
03-08-2018, 10:14 AM
In general, The Times has really gone downhill over the last few years.
The football coverage is **** - since they got Winter. Cricket and rugby coverage is excellent. I like the rest of the paper as well - some excellent political commentators from both sides of the spectrum. Of course it was never going to be as good after I left :)

Luis Anaconda
03-08-2018, 10:14 AM
Perhaps a few negronis at lunchtime as a sort of tribute.

I shall certainly have one or two pre-game

SWv2
03-08-2018, 10:15 AM

I would like to see Juventus win the thing this year.

Sadly they won't.

Sir C
03-08-2018, 10:16 AM
The football coverage is **** - since they got Winter. Cricket and rugby coverage is excellent. I like the rest of the paper as well - some excellent political commentators from both sides of the spectrum. Of course it was never going to be as good after I left :)

Both Matthew Parris and Caitlin Moran do appear to have suffered some sort of catastrophic mental breakdown, though. It's quite disturbing these days, reading their interminable gibberish; the same nonsense, over and over again, as if they're screaming into a void and getting nothing back.

SWv2
03-08-2018, 10:18 AM

Not impossible all the same.

Very good defence, strong balanced midfield, top class forward.

Odd I thought how they chose to leave their best defender on the bench but there you go. Actually I don't know if he was on the bench.

Burney
03-08-2018, 10:19 AM

It's certainly taken advantage of the Telegraph's woeful decline and The Guardian's descent into lefty madness, I must say.

Monty92
03-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Both Matthew Parris and Caitlin Moran do appear to have suffered some sort of catastrophic mental breakdown, though. It's quite disturbing these days, reading their interminable gibberish; the same nonsense, over and over again, as if they're screaming into a void and getting nothing back.

How does Moran square her lefty credentials with writing for an evil Murdoch paper?

Sir C
03-08-2018, 10:21 AM
How does Moran square her lefty credentials with writing for an evil Murdoch paper?

She opens her gob really wide and gurns, then explains why refusing to shave her pubic area is a revolutionary act. Probably.

Burney
03-08-2018, 10:24 AM

Brexit broke Parris. His schtick as 'every non-tory's favourite tory' has been shown to be a mask for a rabid, unashamed elitist with a deep and abiding hatred of the voting public.

I stopped paying attention to that awful Moran person some time ago.

Sir C
03-08-2018, 10:28 AM
Brexit broke Parris. His schtick as 'every non-tory's favourite tory' has been shown to be a mask for a rabid, unashamed elitist with a deep and abiding hatred of the voting public.

I stopped paying attention to that awful Moran person some time ago.

Be fair, she is truly one of the great thinkers of our time.

Here she is commenting on... something. Anything.

Burney
03-08-2018, 10:29 AM
She opens her gob really wide and gurns, then explains why refusing to shave her pubic area is a revolutionary act. Probably.

I remember reading a piece of hers where she talked about/celebrated her decision to abort her perfectly healthy child that she was in a perfectly good position to support because she didn't really fancy having another baby. It was possibly the most morally vacant thing I've ever read and after that I decided she could go and fvck herself.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-08-2018, 10:35 AM

Agreed re: Football. It is better than the other broadsheets but I'd argue the overall standard of newspapers has declined over the last 20 years. Almost as if society has been dumbed down and the papers have.......... well, you can fill in the blanks

Monty92
03-08-2018, 10:36 AM
I remember reading a piece of hers where she talked about/celebrated her decision to abort her perfectly healthy child that she was in a perfectly good position to support because she didn't really fancy having another baby. It was possibly the most morally vacant thing I've ever read and after that I decided she could go and fvck herself.

You think aborting a baby conceived by accident is immoral if you have the means to support it? Or just the celebrating of it?

PSRB
03-08-2018, 10:42 AM

At the end of the day, they bottled it. Don't care what the **** at ESPN says

Burney
03-08-2018, 10:50 AM
You think aborting a baby conceived by accident is immoral if you have the means to support it? Or just the celebrating of it?

If we're talking in absolutes, I think the aborting of babies per se is immoral, I'm afraid. However, I accept that it is a necessary evil in a number of circumstances. I don't believe that any of those circumstances applied to her. In addition, the self-congratulatory tone of her piece and the refusal to accept that there was a necessary moral stigma to her actions that was not ameliorated by her dogma about her body/her choice.

SWv2
03-08-2018, 10:52 AM
At the end of the day, they bottled it. Don't care what the **** at ESPN says

Quite a simplistic analysis but yes they did given the rather fortuitous situation they found themselves in when Son scored given the most obvious penalty decision ever had gone in their favour.

Should really have been out of the tie at the end of the first leg when Juve let slip the two goal lead.

PSRB
03-08-2018, 10:53 AM
Be fair, she is truly one of the great thinkers of our time.

Here she is commenting on... something. Anything.

I like the metatag moron.jpeg :-)

Monty92
03-08-2018, 10:57 AM
If we're talking in absolutes, I think the aborting of babies per se is immoral, I'm afraid. However, I accept that it is a necessary evil in a number of circumstances. I don't believe that any of those circumstances applied to her. In addition, the self-congratulatory tone of her piece and the refusal to accept that there was a necessary moral stigma to her actions that was not ameliorated by her dogma about her body/her choice.

You think she should have had a baby she didn't want, just because she could afford it?

Agree entirely with your final point.

PSRB
03-08-2018, 11:02 AM
Quite a simplistic analysis but yes they did given the rather fortuitous situation they found themselves in when Son scored given the most obvious penalty decision ever had gone in their favour.

Should really have been out of the tie at the end of the first leg when Juve let slip the two goal lead.

It's all the, better team over both legs, etc. Well, if you're the better over both legs and still manage to lose, then surely that is the epitome of bottling it!?

Burney
03-08-2018, 11:08 AM
You think she should have had a baby she didn't want, just because she could afford it?

Agree entirely with your final point.

Not quite. I think she had no moral (as opposed to legal) right to terminate a life purely at her whim or convenience.

SWv2
03-08-2018, 11:13 AM
It's all the, better team over both legs, etc. Well, if you're the better over both legs and still manage to lose, then surely that is the epitome of bottling it!?

Yes I heard that on BT Sports, might have been Lampard.

Nonsense really. They played well and the result in Turin was indeed a fine one but Juve allowed them a foothold in the game based on the first leg.

In general the reaction to the 2-2 draw was quite hysterical.

PSRB
03-08-2018, 11:16 AM
Yes I heard that on BT Sports, might have been Lampard.

Nonsense really. They played well and the result in Turin was indeed a fine one but Juve allowed them a foothold in the game based on the first leg.

In general the reaction to the 2-2 draw was quite hysterical.

I didn't see the match as was away but heard ALL about it and assumed Spurs had won 2 or 3 nil, was a little surprised to find out it was 2-2 and Juve missed a penalty

redgunamo
03-08-2018, 11:17 AM
Not quite. I think she had no moral (as opposed to legal) right to terminate a life purely at her whim or convenience.

Far too late for that now, I reckon. After all, once you make children a financial consideration, all bets are off surely? For instance, what if she's simply too busy to have another child at the time? Is it "moral" to interfere with her career?

All things considered, it's better to be a chap and simply stay out of the whole sorry business, just make a cash settlement and thank God for it.

7sisters
03-08-2018, 11:26 AM
I'm finding following this thread bloody confusing. I mean, post match Spurs analysis, combined with abortion issues.

This site is mental..

SWv2
03-08-2018, 11:32 AM
I didn't see the match as was away but heard ALL about it and assumed Spurs had won 2 or 3 nil, was a little surprised to find out it was 2-2 and Juve missed a penalty

Purely for balance that media reaction would have been the same no matter which English club had managed to come back from 0-2 away to a genuine European giant.

The fact that Spurs have 2-3 of the future of English football in their side just feeds into it.

Burney
03-08-2018, 11:36 AM
I'm finding following this thread bloody confusing. I mean, post match Spurs analysis, combined with abortion issues.

This site is mental..

This is a way in which the old site was better. However, the use of 'Reply with quote' does tend to make things easier to follow.

That was a hint, by the way.

SWv2
03-08-2018, 11:41 AM

This site is mental..

Stick with me 7, you won't go far wrong.

You could use that as advice for life, not just Awimb.

:nod: