PDA

View Full Version : This time 20 years ago

Sir C
03-05-2018, 12:25 PM
we were about to go on that winning run that won us a Double :cry:

redgunamo
03-05-2018, 12:32 PM

Indeed. Noticed that Pat Rice was at the Brighton game.

Just Trent

2018: Arsene is talking about running around without his trousers. :-( :nurse:

Herbert Augustus Chapman

Double should not be capitalised following, as it does in your post, an indefinite article. Of course had you referred to The Double with the definite article, it would be correct.

Sir C
03-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Double should not be capitalised following, as it does in your post, an indefinite article. Of course had you referred to The Double with the definite article, it would be correct.

It's an interesting point, h. I'm not sure you're correct, but it's something to ponder.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
03-05-2018, 12:47 PM

Your mum's an indefinite article.

Ash
03-05-2018, 12:50 PM
from 7amkickoff: http://news.arseblog.com/2018/03/records-by-arsenal-in-2017-18-by-the-numbers/

14 – Cech has failed to save 14 consecutive Premier League penalties at Arsenal, this is the 2nd worst rate just behind Brad Friedel and Craig Gordon who have the record with 15
7 – Arsenal have lost 7 of their last 11 matches since selling Alexis Sanchez to Man U
15 – Arsenal have lost 15 times in all competitions this season, losing just 3 of those matches with Alexis Sanchez in the team
13 – Points Arsenal have taken from their first 15 away games, their worst record since 1989-90 when Beats International’s “Dub be good to me” knocked Sinead O’Connor’s “Nothing compares 2 U” off the number one hit charts in the UK.
11 – Consecutive matches in the Premier League without a clean sheet, the worst run since 2002
1983 – First time Brighton and Hove Albion beat Arsenal since 1983

Sir C
03-05-2018, 12:56 PM
from 7amkickoff: http://news.arseblog.com/2018/03/records-by-arsenal-in-2017-18-by-the-numbers/

14 – Cech has failed to save 14 consecutive Premier League penalties at Arsenal, this is the 2nd worst rate just behind Brad Friedel and Craig Gordon who have the record with 15
7 – Arsenal have lost 7 of their last 11 matches since selling Alexis Sanchez to Man U
15 – Arsenal have lost 15 times in all competitions this season, losing just 3 of those matches with Alexis Sanchez in the team
13 – Points Arsenal have taken from their first 15 away games, their worst record since 1989-90 when Beats International’s “Dub be good to me” knocked Sinead O’Connor’s “Nothing compares 2 U” off the number one hit charts in the UK.
11 – Consecutive matches in the Premier League without a clean sheet, the worst run since 2002
1983 – First time Brighton and Hove Albion beat Arsenal since 1983

Odd that we had that poor run in 2002, given how the season ended.

Pokster
03-05-2018, 01:05 PM
Odd that we had that poor run in 2002, given how the season ended.

was late 2002... when we didn't win the title

Sir C
03-05-2018, 01:09 PM
was late 2002... when we didn't win the title

Ah, that explains it. Still, we must have been quite good then.

Peter
03-05-2018, 01:15 PM
Ah, that explains it. Still, we must have been quite good then.

We were playing some outstanding football but couldnt defend for ****. chucking away that title was so ****ing frustrating. Shades of Keegan's Newcastle about it.

World's End Stella
03-05-2018, 01:20 PM
We were playing some outstanding football but couldnt defend for ****. chucking away that title was so ****ing frustrating. Shades of Keegan's Newcastle about it.

Bolton, Allardyce, Andy D'Urso, 2-0 lead, 2 bad tackles injured two players on our right, both goals came down our right

I think. Not that I'm still bitter about it or owt. :-(

Ash
03-05-2018, 01:27 PM
Bolton, Allardyce, Andy D'Urso, 2-0 lead, 2 bad tackles injured two players on our right, both goals came down our right

LA, what have you done with WES and how did you get his password?

Peter
03-05-2018, 01:42 PM
LA, what have you done with WES and how did you get his password?

It might sound unfair, but I am going to say it anyway.... that side should have won more than the two titles in 02 and 04. Even at his peak Wenger's sides had weaknesses. Even with a side as good as that. Our defending dipped a level in the season after both of those title wins. Complacency......

IUFG
03-05-2018, 02:09 PM

Keown own goal? 2-2

I don't think I've seen a game swing from being a walk in the park to shítting ourselves in such a short space of time.

World's End Stella
03-05-2018, 04:08 PM
Keown own goal? 2-2

I don't think I've seen a game swing from being a walk in the park to shítting ourselves in such a short space of time.

Yeah ball played in from our right side. If I recall correctly Lauren was at RB and Freddie right midfield. Both went off injured from bad tackles and both goals came from attacks down that side.

But I should reiterate, in no way am I still bitter about it. It certainly isn't a patch on that awful day in Oct of 2004 in Manchester.*

* wait for IUFG to post THAT video again

Bergkamp Was Best
03-05-2018, 04:20 PM
Keown own goal? 2-2

Try 4-0 up at Newcastle

Peter
03-05-2018, 04:25 PM
Try 4-0 up at Newcastle

4-2 up against Spurs in injury time, their fans were leaving, their players had given up. We still found a way to draw that game.

Ash
03-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Try 4-0 up at Newcastle

A bit unlucky with some decisions that day. A couple of soft pens/free kicks? and Barton provoking our lad then simulating hysterically to get him sent off.

That was the day my washing machine was delivered.

IUFG
03-05-2018, 04:33 PM
4-2 up against Spurs in injury time, their fans were leaving, their players had given up. We still found a way to draw that game.

Thanks, P. I had actually managed to block that one out...

IUFG
03-05-2018, 04:37 PM
A bit unlucky with some decisions that day. A couple of soft pens/free kicks? and Barton provoking our lad then simulating hysterically to get him sent off.

Some dodgy reffing in that game, definitely.

Not as dodgy as in this one, though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM747L9Wf8M

Peter
03-05-2018, 04:39 PM

That was the day my washing machine was delivered.

The refereeing in that game was utterly inexcusable. He started as soon as we went 4-0 up. Starting giving them everything and letting everything they did go. There was an appalling challenge on Arshavin, right through the back of him- he didnt even give the foul and then gave a foul against Diaby a second later.

THe sending off was a joke- Barton's challenge was at least a yellow and I think his third of the game, Diaby was sent off for doing far less than Nolan did in response to it. When does retaliation end?

THe second penalty was ludicrous and the actions of Nolan and Barton on our keeper in retrieving the ball should have been another yellow or red each. Again unpunished.

What a ****ing ****.

That said, it was pathetic from us.

Peter
03-05-2018, 04:41 PM

It sticks in the mind because the game was utterly, utterly dead. We were pushing the ball around on our half way line, spurs were not even chasing it- they had given up. When we gifted it to them it was almost as though the spurs players were thinking 'oh for ****s sake, if you insist'......

I like the catastrophic sequence of events that almost led to Hull equalising in the cup final. Quite hilarious how quickly we can create chaos from a completely innocuous situation.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-05-2018, 05:15 PM
It might sound unfair, but I am going to say it anyway.... that side should have won more than the two titles in 02 and 04. Even at his peak Wenger's sides had weaknesses. Even with a side as good as that. Our defending dipped a level in the season after both of those title wins. Complacency......

But we were devastating going forward that opposing team were almost frightened into submission. Team were more concerned about what we could do to them so they didn't attack our weaknesses.

We don't play good football now and our weaknesses are easier to exploit. We also have more weaknesses.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-05-2018, 05:20 PM

Still.....remembering Spurs 3-0 up at home to 10 man Man City and losing 4-3 in the FA Cup. Now that was funny!

redgunamo
03-05-2018, 05:28 PM

I'm not sure "complacency" is quite fair. We were a good side and won trophies but nobody, least of all us supporters, demanded or expected us to be title-winning machines the way Liverpool and then Manchester United were.

We weren't greedy; we were happy and content with what we'd won, and this was true even under George Graham.