PDA

View Full Version : It's beyond tragic now.

Just Trent
03-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Is there anyone willing to put the football club ahead of Wenger's pride and just end this?

Peter
03-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Is there anyone willing to put the football club ahead of Wenger's pride and just end this?

Yes, plenty of people. Just not the ones who are in charge of the club.

7sisters
03-04-2018, 04:35 PM

Whatever pride he had is slowly drowning in a sea of shyte.
All so predictable and avoidable. Not sure Wenger is totally at fault. A more focused board would have seen the real lack of progress several seasons back. Cups, while a nice bonus, are no benchmark of a teams performance.

Ash
03-05-2018, 10:29 AM
WCups, while a nice bonus, are no benchmark of a teams performance.

I said this the other day. When we were a safe top four club and winning no cups people were complaining about the lack of cups. Then we got some cups and now people are saying they are worthless. What really matters is the top four spot that was never ok when we were getting it. :shrug:

Pokster
03-05-2018, 10:45 AM
I said this the other day. When we were a safe top four club and winning no cups people were complaining about the lack of cups. Then we got some cups and now people are saying they are worthless. What really matters is the top four spot that was never ok when we were getting it. :shrug:

I think it was the feeling that finishing top 4 was the aim, not actually trying to win the league or challenge for it is unacceptable for a club of our size and standing

Peter
03-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Nobody ever said top four wasnt important. Of course it was, and it was an achievement during the skint days. THe issue was that people felt we were capable of doing better but that the club wasnt fussed- that fourth was all they cared about.

This is where the rot set in, the point at which our performance on the pitch was geared almost solely towards our needs off it. We didnt NEED to win the league, we needed to finish fourth and everyone was happy and relieved every time we did. Once we had more money I am afraid the rot was still there, the environment where ok was good enough proved too hard to shift. All it was ever going to. Take was clubs like Liverpool and Spurs getting their act together. For a good few years we scraped by because one or both of them were **** and then United went ****, Chelsea went**** for a season etc etc.

Once they all came good we got dumped into fifth with a points total better than many in previous years that had proved good enough for third or even second. We have resolutely stood still for so long

redgunamo
03-05-2018, 10:48 AM

If it's the same folk saying it, perhaps the idea is that the two needn't be mutually exclusive for a club like ours.

IUFG
03-05-2018, 12:12 PM

merely 'challenging' apparently, not tragic.

In other news, the profit has doubled and cash reserves have grown. wd The Arsenal imo

https://www.arsenal.com/sites/default/files/documents/Arsenal%20Holdings%20plc%20Interim%20Results%2030-11-2017.pdf

6 mnth statement

Peter
03-05-2018, 12:20 PM
merely 'challenging' apparently, not tragic.

In other news, the profit has doubled and cash reserves have grown. wd The Arsenal imo

https://www.arsenal.com/sites/default/files/documents/Arsenal%20Holdings%20plc%20Interim%20Results%2030-11-2017.pdf

6 mnth statement

So we can continue to stay in profit in the Europa League as long as we dont spend any money on players.

Cool :)

World's End Stella
03-05-2018, 01:22 PM

Yes, well said. And many of us were pointing out to the servile dimwits (like Monty) at the time that this was true. It was just the first step towards what we are now seeing.

Although I'd be lying if I ever thought it would get this bad. I never thought he'd lose the players but it sort of feels like he has now.

Ash
03-05-2018, 01:36 PM
Yes, well said. And many of us were pointing out to the servile dimwits (like Monty) at the time that this was true. It was just the first step towards what we are now seeing.

Although I'd be lying if I ever thought it would get this bad. I never thought he'd lose the players but it sort of feels like he has now.

I think you were probably replying to someone else.

World's End Stella
03-05-2018, 01:47 PM
I think you were probably replying to someone else.

Nope, twas you :-)

Peter
03-05-2018, 01:51 PM
Nope, twas you :-)

To give you an example of how bad things are....I actually thought we missed Ramsey in the second half of the Brighton game. At least he would have run beyond the forward line. Nobody else was even bothering to do that.

You cant have Ozil, theArmenian and Iwobi all shuffling around on the edge of the box. Somebody has to go past the stationary centre forward at some point.

redgunamo
03-05-2018, 02:39 PM
To give you an example of how bad things are....I actually thought we missed Ramsey in the second half of the Brighton game. At least he would have run beyond the forward line. Nobody else was even bothering to do that.

You cant have Ozil, theArmenian and Iwobi all shuffling around on the edge of the box. Somebody has to go past the stationary centre forward at some point.

Or someone could ... you know ... pass to the centre forward :shrug:

Peter
03-05-2018, 02:41 PM

He is generally standing there with his back to goal, quite heavily marked given that he is the only guy in the bloody box.

If the plan is to play the ball of him for a runner then, sorry, but Giroud was great at that. Should have kept him.....

IUFG
03-05-2018, 02:42 PM

As Aubameyang runs to the right, Iwobi passes to the left and behind him. . .

Fúcking pitiful stuff.

redgunamo
03-05-2018, 02:57 PM
He is generally standing there with his back to goal, quite heavily marked given that he is the only guy in the bloody box.

If the plan is to play the ball of him for a runner then, sorry, but Giroud was great at that. Should have kept him.....

He's a striker, supposedly a world class one. His job is to ensure there's no such thing as "quite heavily marked" so far as he is concerned :shrug:

Perhaps Thierry has been gone so long that all our players have forgotten that.

Peter
03-05-2018, 03:15 PM
He's a striker, supposedly a world class one. His job is to ensure there's no such thing as "quite heavily marked" so far as he is concerned :shrug:

Perhaps Thierry has been gone so long that all our players have forgotten that.

Once the ball is on the edge of the box and a back 8 are in place it is quite difficult for the centre forward to find any room. He needs runners either side of him to move defenders around, or to run into space he has created.

For example, I was stunned he didnt bring on Bellerin earlier in the second half, after around 60 minutes. We were crying out for something like that andChambers was finding space but not using it properly.

We need to look at a very different type of player in place of Iwobi. Someone who isnt Ozil and who definitely isnt Iwobi.

PSRB
03-05-2018, 03:23 PM

They won't pull the trigger now, what's the point? Not like we'll get relegated and we could somehow fluke the EL.

May as well get the right man in place and then do it at the end of the season.

I appreciate this slightly contradicts what I said on Twitter but I'm a bit calmer now.

redgunamo
03-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Once the ball is on the edge of the box and a back 8 are in place it is quite difficult for the centre forward to find any room. He needs runners either side of him to move defenders around, or to run into space he has created.

For example, I was stunned he didnt bring on Bellerin earlier in the second half, after around 60 minutes. We were crying out for something like that andChambers was finding space but not using it properly.

We need to look at a very different type of player in place of Iwobi. Someone who isnt Ozil and who definitely isnt Iwobi.

Sod Bellerin, to Pluto with Chambers and damn Iwobi and Özil too, imo!

http://imgur.com/Vuqp7QQ.gif

Pokster
03-05-2018, 03:28 PM
They won't pull the trigger now, what's the point? Not like we'll get relegated and we could somehow fluke the EL.

I appreciate this slightly contradicts what I said on Twitter but I'm a bit calmer now.

I just hope that they do the right thing and have actually started planning now... imagine what it would be like if he actually stayed, there would be 59,998 booing and Rich and Nicosia (he had a facebook rant on gooner 1990's thread yesterday) on the other side

IUFG
03-05-2018, 03:50 PM
I just hope that they do the right thing and have actually started planning now... imagine what it would be like if he actually stayed, there would be 59,998 booing and Rich and Nicosia (he had a facebook rant on gooner 1990's thread yesterday) on the other side

Is there anybody, apart from Ty, who actually believes he should stay on?

Peter
03-05-2018, 04:04 PM

It is hard to see our fortunes changing between now and the end of the season. Assuming we limp out of Europa the season is over and the remaining games will just be torture. If that happens, surely they have to get rid of him..... if they dont then we will know for a fact that the owners are not remotely interested in the football side of things.

Ash
03-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Is there anybody, apart from Ty, who actually believes he should stay on?

I will be meeting with a certain ex-AWIMBer on Saturday who, when we last spoke of it a few weeks ago, wanted AW to stay.

Clue: We and our respective sweethearts will be going to an exhibition at the Tate Modern.

World's End Stella
03-05-2018, 04:12 PM
I will be meeting with a certain ex-AWIMBer on Saturday who, when we last spoke of it a few weeks ago, wanted AW to stay.

Clue: We and our respective sweethearts will be going to an exhibition at the Tate Modern.

How is Ian nowadays? Still an appalling hypocrite who spends his time on the internet virtue signaling when he isn't cheating on his wife?

Ash
03-05-2018, 04:13 PM
It is hard to see our fortunes changing between now and the end of the season. Assuming we limp out of Europa the season is over and the remaining games will just be torture. If that happens, surely they have to get rid of him..... if they dont then we will know for a fact that the owners are not remotely interested in the football side of things.

I expect to *crash* out rather than ~limp~ out of the Europa. And the remaining games won't be torture. Torture is at least stimulating in some ways. Irrelevant, dull, tedious and pointless might be a closer description imo.

Peter
03-05-2018, 04:19 PM
I expect to *crash* out rather than ~limp~ out of the Europa. And the remaining games won't be torture. Torture is at least stimulating in some ways. Irrelevant, dull, tedious and pointless might be a closer description imo.

Our last visit to Milan was probably the angriest I have ever been with an Arsenal performance. It was an absolute disgrace.

Not compared with recent stuff, admittedly, but at the time....

IUFG
03-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Irrelevant, dull, tedious and pointless might be a closer description imo.

It'll be like 1983-1984 all over again.

But without the manager being sacked.

Tony C
03-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Part of the problem is Wenger’s fitness, mental strength and trial & error approach has run its course.

Fitness wise nutritionists are ten a penny and these days you can get supplements that are basically borderline steroids.

Meanwhile society has moved on and breeding more and more entitled privaliged instagram types who think they’ve made after a few games in the first team and refuse to accept the whole philosophy that saw the likes of Vieira, Parlour, Petit, Gilberto, Bergkamp, Pires, Freddy, Henry etc etc successful.

Bellerin, Iwobi, Ox, Ozil and Ramsey being classic examples of this.

Everything needs to be handed to them on plate when they should be reach out and take the opportunity that’s come their way.

Really hope we get Simeone so he can kick the cr•p out of this lot.

They move let Wenger down after he showed so much faith in them so deserve a brutal taskmaster like Simeone now imo

PSRB
03-05-2018, 04:48 PM
Our last visit to Milan was probably the angriest I have ever been with an Arsenal performance. It was an absolute disgrace.

Not compared with recent stuff, admittedly, but at the time....

:rubchin: Not really helped by Milan digging up both flanks. Tbh, I was angrier about that

SWv2
03-05-2018, 05:22 PM

I am not sure why we would not act now as in immediately.

The slide in form is quite remarkable and the EL is really the only only hope of salvaging the season. Why on earth leave the old man steering the good ship through those waters when he appears to be utterly shot.

Sad seens in a way but fúck him, has to step aside.

There are people such as Ancelotti or Tuchel who could step in though one would like to think the football people at the club have their own ideas.

Not sure if Tuchel is mates with Muslintat any more so that may not work.

Rich
03-05-2018, 05:25 PM

The slide in form is quite remarkable and the EL is really the only only hope of salvaging the season. Why on earth leave the old man steering the good ship through those waters when he appears to be utterly shot.

There are people such as Ancelotti or Tuchel who could step in though one would like to think the football people at the club have their own ideas.

It will be Henry, I'd have thought. Not a bad job for your first gig.

redgunamo
03-05-2018, 05:32 PM

We've prided ourselves for years on not being the sort of club that reaches for the pearl-handled revolver at the first signs of difficulty. As I often point out, if we were of that sort, we would have sacked Wenger after the 8-2 as that was exactly the kind of performance, and especially result, that gets you your papers handed to to you.

Ash
03-05-2018, 05:43 PM
We've prided ourselves for years on not being the sort of club that reaches for the pearl-handled revolver at the first signs of difficulty. As I often point out, if we were of that sort, we would have sacked Wenger after the 8-2 as that was exactly the kind of performance, and especially result, that gets you your papers handed to to you.

This is not the first sign of difficulty. It is beyond the point where almost everyone thinks it is time.

redgunamo
03-05-2018, 05:59 PM
This is not the first sign of difficulty. It is beyond the point where almost everyone thinks it is time.

Right. But to say He should be fired now means you think the whole belief system of the board has changed.

Peter
03-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Right. But to say He should be fired now means you think the whole belief system of the board has changed.

Are you still banging on about the 8-2?

Let it go dude ....

redgunamo
03-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Are you still banging on about the 8-2?

Let it go dude ....

Are you still banging on about #WengerOut?

Let it go, pal ... :-)

Peter
03-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Are you still banging on about #WengerOut?

Let it go, pal ... :-)

Agreed, as soon as he is gone.