PDA

View Full Version : Decent of City to take their foot off the gas and go easy on us, I thought

Burney
03-02-2018, 09:09 AM
Mind you, I did find myself half-hoping when they went 3 up that they’d stick 7 or 8 past us and that it might force Wenger out.

But then I remembered that he has no shame or honour and would have stubbornly clung on anyway.

Sir C
03-02-2018, 09:10 AM
Mind you, I did find myself half-hoping when they went 3 up that they’d stick 7 or 8 past us and that it might force Wenger out.

But then I remembered that he has no shame or honour and would have stubbornly clung on anyway.

Oh dear. Not you too, with the intemperate language?

Language matters, old chap.

Burney
03-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Oh dear. Not you too, with the intemperate language?

Language matters, old chap.

I was going to call him a prick, too, but thought better of it. Restrained of me, I thought. :shrug:

Sir C
03-02-2018, 09:17 AM
I was going to call him a prick, too, but thought better of it. Restrained of me, I thought. :shrug:

Does somebody need a nap? Hmm?

One might concede that he is clearly thick-skinned, if that is what you mean by lacking shame, but which manager of a football club isn't capable of shrugging off abuse?

As for dishonourable: no. Simply, no.

Burney
03-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Does somebody need a nap? Hmm?

One might concede that he is clearly thick-skinned, if that is what you mean by lacking shame, but which manager of a football club isn't capable of shrugging off abuse?

As for dishonourable: no. Simply, no.

An honourable man would have shouldered the blame for his ongoing failure and fallen on his sword. Instead he clings on grimly, blaming his players, the referees - anything but the systemic failure of his own management.

To quote dear old Oliver C: “You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!“

redgunamo
03-02-2018, 09:48 AM
An honourable man would have shouldered the blame for his ongoing failure and fallen on his sword. Instead he clings on grimly, blaming his players, the referees - anything but the systemic failure of his own management.

To quote dear old Oliver C: “You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!“

I'm not sure. It's been obvious for some time that His job is to manage the football club, rather than to manage mere football results. And, therefore, He's doing a fine job so there's no reason for Him to leave. Or be pushed out.

redgunamo
03-02-2018, 09:50 AM

Have you been watching too many Martin Scorsese films lately? Joe Pesci?

Burney
03-02-2018, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure. It's been obvious for some time that His job is to manage the football club, rather than to manage mere football results. And, therefore, He's doing a fine job so there's no reason for Him to leave. Or be pushed out.

I fail to see how the ongoing and relentless devaluation of the Arsenal brand constitutes ‘doing a fine job’ in anything but a hopelessly short-term sense, to be honest. The brand ultimately rests on mere football results. Without them, it enters terminal decline.

redgunamo
03-02-2018, 10:02 AM
I fail to see how the ongoing and relentless devaluation of the Arsenal brand constitutes ‘doing a fine job’ in anything but a hopelessly short-term sense, to be honest. The brand ultimately rests on mere football results. Without them, it enters terminal decline.

I'd argue we're more popular, talked about, than ever. Even last night's game was probably a "sell-out".

The brand is worth a billion quid, or so, nowadays, isn't it. That is not going to be threatened by the fact that we failed to win the league cup.

And all that is because of Arsene Wenger.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
03-02-2018, 10:10 AM

How bad was the performance last night, Burney? My only link to the game is Arsenal Fans TV and, as you know, apart from its comical value there isn't much actual insight.

IUFG
03-02-2018, 10:22 AM
How bad was the performance last night, Burney? My only link to the game is Arsenal Fans TV and, as you know, apart from its comical value there isn't much actual insight.

It was a leeeeetle bit an insipid performance from The Arsenal.

Tbf, a couple of their goals were things of beauty. So much so, our lads simply stopped and stared in wonder.

The fragile confidence was shattered in minute 15.

If the weak link isn't Wenger, it is surely Xhaka...

Ash
03-02-2018, 10:25 AM
I'd argue we're more popular, talked about, than ever. Even last night's game was probably a "sell-out".

I think it went to general sale and didn't sell out, which meant that the ticket exchange didn't come into operation. Attendances have been low for some time now.

We may be more popular with Spurs fans at the moment, if you see what I mean. Man City fans certainly think we are a huge joke.