PDA

View Full Version : All this bóllocks about AI being dangerous

Sir C
02-28-2018, 02:50 PM
and potentially wiping out humanity. Surely this presupposes that when we develop AI we give it access to arms, legs and thermonuclear weapons? I mean, if we're shrewd, surely we just make is as a series of 1s and 0s inside a laptop, or something. What's a laptop going to do, leap into the air and smash you round the face? No, like all computer geeks, it's going to sit in its mum's house touching its winkle.

IUFG
02-28-2018, 02:55 PM
and potentially wiping out humanity. Surely this presupposes that when we develop AI we give it access to arms, legs and thermonuclear weapons? I mean, if we're shrewd, surely we just make is as a series of 1s and 0s inside a laptop, or something. What's a laptop going to do, leap into the air and smash you round the face? No, like all computer geeks, it's going to sit in its mum's house touching its winkle.

Shirley us humans would build the AI with a backdoor, that can be used to break it? [insert your mum gag here]

Monty92
02-28-2018, 02:55 PM

It's an arms race. The threats are not purely existential - they are also political, economic, etc.

Sir C
02-28-2018, 02:57 PM
It's an arms race. The threats are not purely existential - they are also political, economic, etc.

That's wehat I said, the fúcker's got no arms.

Sir C
02-28-2018, 02:57 PM
Shirley us humans would build the AI with a backdoor, that can be used to break it? [insert your mum gag here]

Yes, I mean if the ******* got a bit uppity we could, you know, pull the plug out of the wall. :shrug:

Monty92
02-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Yes, I mean if the ******* got a bit uppity we could, you know, pull the plug out of the wall. :shrug:

You are talking about machines that can produce the equivalent of 20,000 years of human progress in the space of a week.

What you are saying is the equivalent of someone at the genesis of the World Wide Web scoffing at the idea of cyberterrorism.

Sir C
02-28-2018, 03:07 PM
You are talking about machines that can produce the equivalent of 20,000 years of human progress in the space of a week.

What you are saying is the equivalent of someone at the genesis of the World Wide Web scoffing at the idea of cyberterrorism.

I still scoff at the idea of cyberterrorism. Exploding yourself in a shopping mall is terrorism. Creating a virus which makes your Apple watch show the wrong time isn't terrorism.

Monty92
02-28-2018, 03:11 PM
I still scoff at the idea of cyberterrorism. Exploding yourself in a shopping mall is terrorism. Creating a virus which makes your Apple watch show the wrong time isn't terrorism.

But the Ruskies made Brexit and Trump happen by posting mean things about Allans on Twitter, dontcha know.

Sir C
02-28-2018, 03:13 PM
But the Ruskies made Brexit and Trump happen by posting mean things about Allans on Twitter, dontcha know.

There you go. So it is a load of old wánk.

Monty92
02-28-2018, 03:16 PM
There you go. So it is a load of old wánk.

You won't be saying that when you rock up at Barrafina and get told the kitchen's closed because some **** in his bedroom in Shanghai has turned off London's electricity grid.

Sir C
02-28-2018, 03:20 PM
You won't be saying that when you rock up at Barrafina and get told the kitchen's closed because some **** in his bedroom in Shanghai has turned off London's electricity grid.

Jokes on him because I went to Temper. Unless ol' Wung Hung Lo has turned off the wood as well?

Ash
02-28-2018, 03:22 PM

They're letting 'em drive cars. What could possibly go wrong?

Monty92
02-28-2018, 03:22 PM
Jokes on him because I went to Temper. Unless ol' Wung Hung Lo has turned off the wood as well?

How was Dennis's gaff and B&W?

Sir C
02-28-2018, 03:24 PM
How was Dennis's gaff and B&W?

I sacked it off. Didn't feel well. Made Korean fried chicken.

Ash
02-28-2018, 03:27 PM

I presume you realise that this hysteria about Russian bots is nonsense. It was a click-bait business using election themes to get people's attention. If the Septics are stupid enough to believe it was a conspiracy to interfere with their democratic process then they are stupid enough to get us all killed in a nuclear war.

Meanwhile elements of the the FBI and DOJ leadership actually conspire to fix the election against Trump and to depose him if/when he won/

And 72p on adverts did Brexit. :hehe:

Monty92
02-28-2018, 03:40 PM
I presume you realise that this hysteria about Russian bots is nonsense. It was a click-bait business using election themes to get people's attention. If the Septics are stupid enough to believe it was a conspiracy to interfere with their democratic process then they are stupid enough to get us all killed in a nuclear war.

Meanwhile elements of the the FBI and DOJ leadership actually conspire to fix the election against Trump and to depose him if/when he won/

And 72p on adverts did Brexit. :hehe:

It's such an absurd grey area, anyway. I don't see why a country meddling in another's elections online is any different to that **** Obama coming over here and ramping up Project Fear during the EU referendum campaign.

barrybueno
03-01-2018, 01:26 PM

Not a fan of it really, more of a Quark/In Design man me

Hilarious ain't I? :-|