PDA

View Full Version : I’m currently sat in the George IV in Great Amwell. It sits just above the monument

Burney
02-28-2018, 01:11 PM
to Hugh Myddleton on an island in the New River.

It’s all very picturesque and the Churchyard opposite contains an original pillory, as well as the grave of Harold Abrahams out of Chariots of Fire. But here’s what troubles me: his gravestone has pebbles piled up on it like what Jews do, which begs the question: what the fúck is a Jew doing in a C of E graveyard? :sherlock:

Ash
02-28-2018, 01:17 PM
to Hugh Myddleton on an island in the New River.

It’s all very picturesque and the Churchyard opposite contains an original pillory, as well as the grave of Harold Abrahams out of Chariots of Fire. But here’s what troubles me: his gravestone has pebbles piled up on it like what Jews do, which begs the question: what the fúck is a Jew doing in a C of E graveyard? :sherlock:

Good old Hugh Myddleton. It's not new, and it's not a river, but I like it, as it is very much a part of Islington history.

I don't care about your problem with Jews though.

Burney
02-28-2018, 01:24 PM
Good old Hugh Myddleton. It's not new, and it's not a river, but I like it, as it is very much a part of Islington history.

I don’t have a problem with Jews, a. Well, not so’s you’d notice, anyway. I just don’t understand what ones doing in a Christian graveyard and demand an explanation.

I mean it’s only a C of E graveyard, anyway. Not like it’s a proper Christian graveyard, so my interest is strictly academic.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-28-2018, 01:29 PM
Abrahams converted to Catholicism in 1934
This is according to the jewornotjew.com website
Their verdict : Borderline Jew

Burney
02-28-2018, 01:31 PM

By the way, a, I don’t know if your perambulations have ever brought you this far, but you’d love it.

Burney
02-28-2018, 01:32 PM
Abrahams converted to Catholicism in 1934
This is according to the jewornotjew.com website
Their verdict : Borderline Jew

Well that’s confused me even more, s. What’s a fùcking Catholic Jew doing in a C of E graveyard? :-(

Sir C
02-28-2018, 01:35 PM
Well that’s confused me even more, s. What’s a fùcking Catholic Jew doing in a C of E graveyard? :-(

Wasn't thon Abrahams chap best mates with (Old Elthamian) Eric Liddell? Eric was a missionary. Perhaps he converted him?

Pokster
02-28-2018, 01:35 PM

The C of E is an open religion, why don't discriminate like your dodgy one....... tbh, I don't care as God doesn't exist

Viva Prat Vegas
02-28-2018, 01:38 PM
Maybe Abrahams failed to maintain his monthly Judaism payments and he was out on a limb

Burney
02-28-2018, 01:46 PM
Wasn't thon Abrahams chap best mates with (Old Elthamian) Eric Liddell? Eric was a missionary. Perhaps he converted him?

Did Liddell go to your place? I thought he was a dirty Jock?

Anyway, he was a filthy prod, so he clearly didn’t bring Harold to Mother Church.

Burney
02-28-2018, 01:48 PM
Maybe Abrahams failed to maintain his monthly Judaism payments and he was out on a limb

:nod: Probably couldn’t keep up with the interest, s.

Sir C
02-28-2018, 01:48 PM
Did Liddell go to your place? I thought he was a dirty Jock?

Anyway, he was a filthy prod, so he clearly didn’t bring Harold to Mother Church.

Yes. They used to be terrifically proud of the búgger. Named the boarding house after him, and everything.

As far as I could make out he was a religious maniac who couldn't be arsed to run at the Olympics and then got deaded by Japs.

Not exactly heroic, imo.

Burney
02-28-2018, 01:49 PM
The C of E is an open religion, why don't discriminate like your dodgy one....... tbh, I don't care as God doesn't exist

A religion that doesn’t discriminate isn’t really a religion, p. Discriminating is sort of the point.

Burney
02-28-2018, 01:51 PM
Yes. They used to be terrifically proud of the búgger. Named the boarding house after him, and everything.

As far as I could make out he was a religious maniac who couldn't be arsed to run at the Olympics and then got deaded by Japs.

Not exactly heroic, imo.

Yes. Wouldn’t drag his arse out of his wànking chariot of fire on a Sunday. Poor form imo.

Sir C
02-28-2018, 01:53 PM
Yes. Wouldn’t drag his arse out of his wànking chariot of fire on a Sunday. Poor form imo.

Scotchish. Probably still pissed from Saturday night.

Sir C
02-28-2018, 01:54 PM

Went on to discover the Smurfs, I believe.

Ash
02-28-2018, 02:03 PM
By the way, a, I don’t know if your perambulations have ever brought you this far, but you’d love it.

It's on the list. New River from source to River Head in Finsbury.