PDA

View Full Version : We're nowhere near 1980s levels of banter though, are we?

Sir C
02-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Come back to me when your squad includes quality like John Hawley, Raphael Meade, Lee Chapman and Brian McDermott.

Peter
02-27-2018, 02:27 PM
Come back to me when your squad includes quality like John Hawley, Raphael Meade, Lee Chapman and Brian McDermott.

Over the years, Wenger has fielded players who would rank alongside the worst ever to play for the club. It isnt really a problem if other players are great.

Rami Shaban is one of the worst goalkeepers I have ever seen. Andre Santos. THat Greek centre back, Tavliridis? Various other cheap crap he picked up along the way.

SWv2
02-27-2018, 02:30 PM
I have fed your statement into my Relevance-ometer and it has been rejected.

We are now one of the richest clubs in the world and the way of the world dictates that the customers of the club expect goods and services in line with this.

If your tailor charged you £500 or whatever for a suit and gave you a polyester thing in return you would stamp your feet.

Sir C
02-27-2018, 02:32 PM
I have fed your statement into my Relevance-ometer and it has been rejected.

We are now one of the richest clubs in the world and the way of the world dictates that the customers of the club expect goods and services in line with this.

If your tailor charged you £500 or whatever for a suit and gave you a polyester thing in return you would stamp your feet.

If my tailor charged me £500 for a suit I would have the chap sectioned.

SWv2
02-27-2018, 02:36 PM

How much does a suit cost?

I ask this in genuine circumstance as I am sure you know I have never been in this scenario. An ordinary suit now, don't be a silly bóllocks.

Mohair, 3 button, side vents, five inches long.

Peter
02-27-2018, 02:36 PM

Quite right too. You can get a suit for 40 quid in Primark.

Sir C
02-27-2018, 02:39 PM
How much does a suit cost?

I ask this in genuine circumstance as I am sure you know I have never been in this scenario. An ordinary suit now, don't be a silly bóllocks.

Mohair, 3 button, side vents, five inches long.

Depending on the material, between £1,300 and £2,000; however, it should be noted that my chap is considered extremely good value by Savile Row standards and if you go to one of the old Savile Row names like Anderson and Shepherd or Huntsman, you will pay considerably more.

AFC East
02-27-2018, 02:45 PM
Over the years, Wenger has fielded players who would rank alongside the worst ever to play for the club.

I'm sorry son, you really have no idea. I assume because you have youth on your side.

Peter
02-27-2018, 02:54 PM
I'm sorry son, you really have no idea. I assume because you have youth on your side.

Give me some names from before Gus Caesar and I will tell you if I am old enough to remember them.

AFC East
02-27-2018, 03:13 PM
Matthews, Hawley, Ure, Wood, Rostron, Gould. Not to mention more recent players like Selley, McGoldrick, Carter, Helder....

Peter
02-27-2018, 03:36 PM
Matthews, Hawley, Ure, Wood, Rostron, Gould. Not to mention more recent players like Selley, McGoldrick, Carter, Helder....

Bit unfair on old 'steady' Eddie there.

Steven Hughes played under Wenger. Remi Garde. Imamoto. Park (come on, for ****s sake!).

Stepanovs was no Bobby Moore. Fabian Caballero (came on as a sub, missed a sitter, chinned someone).

AFC East
02-27-2018, 03:39 PM

Steven Hughes played under Wenger. Remi Garde. Imamoto. Park (come on, for ****s sake!).

Stepanovs was no Bobby Moore. Fabian Caballero (came on as a sub, missed a sitter, chinned someone).

Remi Garde was a very decent addition to the squad and played his part. Many of us thought Hughes was a future star.

Nobody can say any of these things about Carter, Hillier and Selley. Notable that Wenger's apparent major failings are some time ago.

Peter
02-27-2018, 03:39 PM

I forgot Francis Jeffers. Nelson Vivas was ****ing useless.

Peter
02-27-2018, 03:40 PM
Remi Garde was a very decent addition to the squad and played his part. Many of us thought Hughes was a future star.

Nobody can say any of these things about Carter, Hillier and Selley. Notable that Wenger's apparent major failings are some time ago.

Park! (Presumably the only place he was going to get a game....)

AFC East
02-27-2018, 03:49 PM
I forgot Francis Jeffers. Nelson Vivas was ****ing useless.

We were definitely excited to sign the fox in the box, he just didn't work out. Vivas, again did a reasonable job, bit of a thug, but far from the levels of Lydersen for example. Yes of course the far post goal against Leeds in 99 will always hang over him. The OP was right, things are not good right now, but you don't have to go back far to find far worse players in an Arsenal shirt. As for Park, he was a marketing exercise.

Peter
02-27-2018, 03:52 PM
We were definitely excited to sign the fox in the box, he just didn't work out. Vivas, again did a reasonable job, bit of a thug, but far from the levels of Lydersen for example. Yes of course the far post goal against Leeds in 99 will always hang over him. The OP was right, things are not good right now, but you don't have to go back far to find far worse players in an Arsenal shirt. As for Park, he was a marketing exercise.

A marketing exercise??!

I am not really criticising Arsene. Gambling on unknowns has always been a part of who he is and sometimes it has yielded awful footballers, even when we were great.

Peter
02-27-2018, 04:10 PM

Yaya Sanogo- a ****ing postman.

IUFG
02-27-2018, 04:16 PM

He's banging* them in for Toulouse now, p

* 2 in 18 appearances : prolific:

SWv2
02-27-2018, 04:31 PM

I did for one.

And I am known for my scouting abilities.

Peter
02-27-2018, 04:35 PM
I did for one.

And I am known for my scouting abilities.

Not on this occasion though, as he turned out to be ****e.

IUFG
02-27-2018, 04:36 PM
I did for one.

:nod: He scored the other goal of the game when Dennis did this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyTjpNhG2L8

Peter
02-27-2018, 04:39 PM
:nod: He scored the other goal of the game when Dennis did this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyTjpNhG2L8

He was actually rather good, Dennis.

IUFG
02-27-2018, 04:41 PM
He was actually rather good, Dennis.

Watching the current team versus that lot from the late nineties makes you want to pull your eyes out...

SWv2
02-27-2018, 04:47 PM
Not on this occasion though, as he turned out to be ****e.

He was a very talented kid who perhaps thought he had made it too soon, and suffered the pitfalls of same.

He was not the first nor will he be the last. Bentley for instance a very obvious one. We have a new shiny star almost every summer, a Jeff or a Zelalem, young kids that adults who frankly should know better get excited about. Most fall by the wayside.

I recall reading a story about Hughes when he went to Fulham, perhaps on loan, and was horrified to find that his training gear was not duly collected on day 1 and washed/laundered/returned in pristine condition for day 2. Now I expect journalistic licence played a part here as no footballer at that level washes their own gear but it was used to illustrate the gaping difference between the pampered surroundings of AFC and lesser clubs.

SWv2
02-27-2018, 04:47 PM
Watching the current team versus that lot from the late nineties makes you want to pull your eyes out...

Who do you think would win?

:-|

World's End Stella
02-27-2018, 04:49 PM

Aaron Ramsey

This argument need go no further. :-)

Ash
02-27-2018, 04:55 PM
Depending on the material, between £1,300 and £2,000; however, it should be noted that my chap is considered extremely good value by Savile Row standards and if you go to one of the old Savile Row names like Anderson and Shepherd or Huntsman, you will pay considerably more.

Do you buy your shoes from John Lobb? Around £2,200 and a six-month wait.

Sir C
02-27-2018, 05:01 PM

No. I always fancied having a pair of boots built by Lobb, but never got around to it. My days of such indulgences are over now that I am saving hard for retirement.

The Insider
02-27-2018, 05:22 PM

Jeff Brockley cost us the 1973 Cup semi-final and denied us revenge against Dirty Leeds. Useless ****er

redgunamo
02-27-2018, 06:27 PM
Sorry. Whilst I do know you don't go in for this sort of thing, I just couldn't resist :-\

Ash
02-28-2018, 09:38 AM
Sorry. Whilst I do know you don't go in for this sort of thing, I just couldn't resist :-\

Thank-you. It was deftly controlled and finished all the same.

Much like your mum.

AFC East
02-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Aaron Ramsey

This argument need go no further. :-)

One suspects your Arsenal affiliation is a rather recent phenomenon.

AFC East
02-28-2018, 10:37 AM
He was a very talented kid who perhaps thought he had made it too soon, and suffered the pitfalls of same.

He was not the first nor will he be the last. Bentley for instance a very obvious one. We have a new shiny star almost every summer, a Jeff or a Zelalem, young kids that adults who frankly should know better get excited about. Most fall by the wayside.

Good observations.

World's End Stella
02-28-2018, 10:41 AM
One suspects your Arsenal affiliation is a rather recent phenomenon.

I just really, really, really hate Aaron Ramsey. :-)

Sir C
02-28-2018, 10:42 AM
Jeff Brockley cost us the 1973 Cup semi-final and denied us revenge against Dirty Leeds. Useless ****er

He was no Steve Walford though, was he? Spursy ****.

71 Guns - channeling the spirit of Mr Hat
02-28-2018, 10:57 AM

There is no Arsenal player called Jeff Brockley. There was one called Jeff Blockley however. And he was an utterly useless cłnt, albeit our useless cłnt.

Sir C
02-28-2018, 11:02 AM
There is no Arsenal player called Jeff Brockley. There was one called Jeff Blockley however. And he was an utterly useless cłnt, albeit our useless cłnt.

Almost as imperious as Terry Mancini, he was.

02-28-2018, 11:03 AM

Yeah but Tel was a good larf wasn't he? And that was important back in them days, sod the football.

Pokster
02-28-2018, 11:07 AM

I just really, really, really hate Aaron Ramsey. :-)

1969? How old are you?

IUFG
02-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Yeah but Tel was a good larf wasn't he? And that was important back in them days, sod the football.

Yes. The defending here was quite laughable.
Despite the pristine Highbury turf...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2-VL9V54Jk

SWv2
02-28-2018, 11:29 AM

Now an integral part of the Ireland international management set up.

I would ask you to watch what you say.

Pal.

Martin O'Neill. Roy Keane. Steve Walford. Steve Guppy.

:-(

Sir C
02-28-2018, 11:29 AM

I didn't see it, but I was told of a game when he ran out wearing a syrup, which he subsequently launched into the North Bank :hehe:

Pokster
02-28-2018, 11:32 AM
I didn't see it, but I was told of a game when he ran out wearing a syrup, which he subsequently launched into the North Bank :hehe:

For some reason Michael thomas once came out for a home game v Everton with a wig on...never quite sure why???

Sir C
02-28-2018, 11:33 AM
Now an integral part of the Ireland international management set up.

I would ask you to watch what you say.

Pal.

Martin O'Neill. Roy Keane. Steve Walford. Steve Guppy.

:-(

Really? Steve fścking Walford?

:hehe:

Sir C
02-28-2018, 11:34 AM
For some reason Michael thomas once came out for a home game v Everton with a wig on...never quite sure why???

No, don't remember that :-(

02-28-2018, 11:34 AM
Really? Steve fścking Walford?

:hehe:

It is Ireland tbf. The only decent manager they ever had was almost English.

redgunamo
02-28-2018, 11:54 AM
It is Ireland tbf. The only decent manager they ever had was almost English.

Message reported to Jackie Charlton.

Ash
02-28-2018, 12:14 PM

The Pink Panther theme was a smashing piece of work though.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-28-2018, 12:34 PM
Quite the North Bank surge after the first goal in IUFGs link
Invaded by West Ham that day :-(

John Matthews looked impressive