PDA

View Full Version : I see Stormzy has been trending on twitter because of

Billy Goat Sverige
02-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Some *******s he said about Theresa May at the Brit awards. This was my favourite tweet.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2q8scvn.jpg

Where to start :-|

Burney
02-22-2018, 11:36 AM
Some *******s he said about Theresa May at the Brit awards. This was my favourite tweet.

He's just a thick cünt from Thornton Heath. :shrug:

SWv2
02-22-2018, 11:40 AM

Well I have been exposed to his music and I have to say it is not for me. Nor Skepta.

Politically I am unsure.

Burney
02-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Well I have been exposed to his music and I have to say it is not for me. Nor Skepta.

Politically I am unsure.

He's no Paul Weller, that's for sure, sw.

Billy Goat Sverige
02-22-2018, 11:44 AM

Politically I am unsure.

Stormzy is just doing what Skepta was doing 15 years ago. He’s a ****.

Burney
02-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Stormzy is just doing what Skepta was doing 15 years ago. He’s a ****.

I don't know who Skepta is, bgm.

SWv2
02-22-2018, 11:47 AM

Thank you B.

I didn't want to labour the point but I am glad my message is getting through. I spent two nights just last week in the company of PW and I have to see it was magical.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-22-2018, 11:48 AM

I would say that, musically at least, he is rather shít. His rhymes sound somewhat clumsy and contrived.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Thank you B.

I didn't want to labour the point but I am glad my message is getting through. I spent two nights just last week in the company of PW and I have to see it was magical.

Does that mean you went to see him two nights in a row? he ain't that good s

Billy Goat Sverige
02-22-2018, 11:50 AM
I don't know who Skepta is, bgm.

He’s another grime artist, B. I think he’s popular now because they gave him the Mercury music prize last year. Anyway, he was there when grime first started back in the early 2000s. Stormzy is part of this new wave of grime artists that made it popular among the yut of today but it’s just the same **** people were listening to on pirate radio 15 years ago.

Burney
02-22-2018, 11:51 AM
He’s another grime artist, B. I think he’s popular now because they gave him the Mercury music prize last year. Anyway, he was there when grime first started back in the early 2000s. Stormzy is part of this new wave of grime artists that made it popular among the yut of today but it’s just the same **** people were listening to on pirate radio 15 years ago.

Thank you, bgm. Is Grime the one that comes from Croydon?

Sir C
02-22-2018, 11:53 AM

Who’s his guitar player?

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Who’s his guitar player?

They have eschewed the sacred axe c in favour of a sort of tuneless popping noise created by iPhones.

Burney
02-22-2018, 11:54 AM
Who’s his guitar player?

Have you ever listened to any Davy Graham?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0h-XICWlSA

Billy Goat Sverige
02-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Thank you, bgm. Is Grime the one that comes from Croydon?

I think that’s dubstep. Grime comes from East London, more specifically the Bow/Poplar/Limehouse areas.

Burney
02-22-2018, 11:57 AM
I think that’s dubstep. Grime comes from East London, more specifically the Bow/Poplar/Limehouse areas.

Ah. Thank you.

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-22-2018, 11:57 AM

Do you suppose he affects a little head wobble, Ravi Shanker style, when he plays that tune b?

redgunamo
02-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Was there pirate radio 15 years ago?

redgunamo
02-22-2018, 12:00 PM

:nono: He pinched that one from Simple Minds.

Burney
02-22-2018, 12:01 PM

This is what I think of whenever I hear the term 'pirate radio'

SWv2
02-22-2018, 12:02 PM

One can hear both Belfast Child and When you go away (The Waterboys) in there.

Burney
02-22-2018, 12:02 PM

I can't even find that amusing. My anger with 'Belfast Child' is simply too raw. :-|

Sir C
02-22-2018, 12:03 PM

Self-indulgent ****ery? Not for me, Clive.

redgunamo
I can't even find that amusing. My anger with 'Belfast Child' is simply too raw. :-|

Yeah, sorry about that :-\

Burney

Well that would be because Belfast Child nakedly stole the melody of the beautiful 'She Moves Through The Fair' and turned it into that heap of shíte.

Burney
02-22-2018, 12:04 PM
Self-indulgent ****ery? Not for me, Clive.

Philistine.

Sir C
02-22-2018, 12:05 PM
Philistine.

Smelly hippy.

redgunamo
02-22-2018, 12:05 PM
This is what I think of whenever I hear the term 'pirate radio'

Oh, I used to love old Delbert! As a kid, I didn't know any Windians, much less any of his sort.

Burney
02-22-2018, 12:06 PM
Smelly hippy.

Big gayer.

Sir C
They have eschewed the sacred axe c in favour of a sort of tuneless popping noise created by iPhones.

I bet he shouts into a microphone as well. They don’t even bother to sing any more.

Billy Goat Sverige

:nod: Rinse FM and Deja vu were the main ones.

Sir C
Big gayer.

You always have to go too far, don’t you?

redgunamo
02-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Well that would be because Belfast Child nakedly stole the melody of the beautiful 'She Moves Through The Fair' and turned it into that heap of shíte.

It's no good being all sensitive and precious about that sort of thing though. After all, there's more to music than copyright, isn't there. And if "artists" don't like it and want to make money, they should invest in small, local businesses like dear old Duff McKagan did.

Burney
02-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Oh, I used to love old Delbert! As a kid, I didn't know any Windians, much less any of his sort.

Me too. I do seem to remember finding it genuinely funny. Which is odd, as I find Lenny Henry about as funny as removing a sticking plaster these days.

Burney
02-22-2018, 12:14 PM
It's no good being all sensitive and precious about that sort of thing though. After all, there's more to music than copyright, isn't there. And if "artists" don't like it and want to make money, they should invest in small, local businesses like dear old Duff McKagan did.

It's just irritating when no-one mentions it, though. Like The Dandy Warhols and 'Bohemian Like You'. Nobody* seemed remotely bothered that they'd simply stolen the music from Brown Sugar.

*With the possible exception of m'learned friends working for whoever owns the Stones' back catalogue these days.

SWv2
02-22-2018, 12:17 PM
It's just irritating when no-one mentions it, though. Like The Dandy Warhols and 'Bohemian Like You'. Nobody* seemed remotely bothered that they'd simply stolen the music from Brown Sugar.

*With the possible exception of m'learned friends working for whoever owns the Stones' back catalogue these days.

Was any action taken?

I recall they were very much on the case of The Verve with Bittersweet Symphony.

redgunamo
02-22-2018, 12:20 PM
Me too. I do seem to remember finding it genuinely funny. Which is odd, as I find Lenny Henry about as funny as removing a sticking plaster these days.

Yes, indeed. Genuinely funny.

Burney
02-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Was any action taken?

I recall they were very much on the case of The Verve with Bittersweet Symphony.

I don't know, actually. I can't imagine they wouldn't have sued if they could have.

redgunamo
02-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Oh, I was through the whole Rare Groove and early Hip-Hop eras; long since weary pointing these things out. Thing is, my siblings were my age about fifteen years earlier than me, if you follow, so I had grown up with the radio on all the time playing the "originals".

Viva Prat Vegas
02-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Red "Oh, I used to love old Delbert! As a kid, I didn't know any Windians, much less any of his sort."

I knew a few red
Delbert parodied yer typical flash one

SWv2
02-22-2018, 12:57 PM
Oh, I was through the whole Rare Groove and early Hip-Hop eras; long since weary pointing these things out. Thing is, my siblings were my age about fifteen years earlier than me, if you follow, so I had grown up with the radio on all the time playing the "originals".

Easy. Nice.

:smokin:

redgunamo
02-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Easy. Nice.

:smokin:

And the Beatles should've stung Weller for "Start" an' all :vsign:

Burney
02-22-2018, 01:20 PM

:nod: Taxman

Ash
02-22-2018, 01:37 PM

They actually borrowed the Taxman riff for three songs, and 'She loves You' once as well.

redgunamo
02-22-2018, 01:40 PM
They actually borrowed the Taxman riff for three songs, and 'She loves You' once as well.

Ah, an old school quiz. Great fun.

No, no idea, I'm afraid :-(

Peter
02-22-2018, 01:43 PM

YE!

When YE Go Away.

YE!

SWv2
02-22-2018, 02:39 PM
YE!

When YE Go Away.

YE!

You knew what I meant. You, ye, yiz.

Wánker.

SWv2
02-22-2018, 02:43 PM

To Be Someone?

I also read once that Tube Station in parts could be seen as similar. Start aside I think you probably need a musicians ear to be fully aware of this.

Ash
02-22-2018, 02:51 PM
Ah, an old school quiz. Great fun.

No, no idea, I'm afraid :-(

So apart from Start,
To Be Someone is also powered by the Taxman bass groove.
It's Too Bad uses She Loves You on the bridge between chorus and verse.
Non-stop Dancing uses a slightly modified version of the Taxman bassline. What a song that is btw!

Of course, the way to make the Jam sound twice as good is to listen very intently to the bass guitar all the way through. :-) :nod:

IUFG
02-22-2018, 04:03 PM
Start aside I think you probably need a musicians ear to be fully aware of this.

here you go, sw, have a musician's ear ...

https://www.whosampled.com/The-Jam/

there are only so many notes and chords, etc...

https://youtu.be/YgVv1egwCk4

Ash
02-22-2018, 04:31 PM

Yup, there are only twelve notes.

That site uses 'sampled' wrongly though. Playing someone else's tune / riff / progression on actual instruments isn't the same as sampling.

Peter
02-22-2018, 04:34 PM
You knew what I meant. You, ye, yiz.

Wánker.

Well that was very very rude indeed. Not acceptable.

SWv2
02-22-2018, 04:45 PM

They missed out That's Entertainment covered by The Wonder Stuff, arguably the best version of all.

I don't like them Sleaford Mods chaps. Rude.

IUFG
02-22-2018, 04:50 PM
That site uses 'sampled' wrongly though. Playing someone else's tune / riff / progression on actual instruments isn't the same as sampling.

true. Interpolation and all that.

You can get lost for hours in that site, though...

SWv2
02-22-2018, 05:01 PM
Yup, there are only twelve notes.

:nod:

Borrowing.

Tony C
02-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Never heard of him :shrug:

redgunamo
02-22-2018, 05:33 PM
They missed out That's Entertainment covered by The Wonder Stuff, arguably the best version of all.

I don't like them Sleaford Mods chaps. Rude.

Just had a listen. Not bad.

redgunamo
02-22-2018, 05:34 PM
:nod:

Borrowing.

An homage even.