PDA

View Full Version : LondonattratctionsWIMB

Sir C
02-19-2018, 12:37 PM
I'm going here https://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/ on Thursday. Reviews are polarised, some love it, some hate it.

Has anyone here had the pleasure?

Ash
02-19-2018, 12:46 PM
I'm going here https://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/ on Thursday. Reviews are polarised, some love it, some hate it.

Not been myself yet but a relative went and recommended it. It'll be fab. :thumbup:

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2018, 12:52 PM

Pop into the Water Poet afterwards - a proper pub

Sir C
02-19-2018, 12:53 PM
Not been myself yet but a relative went and recommended it. It'll be fab. :thumbup:

ty a. It's a bit of a pain to get to, but at least it's nearby St John for dinner afterwards. I'm going to have bone marrow, kidneys, liver, ears and tail. :eat:

Sir C
02-19-2018, 12:53 PM

Will they do me a Dry Martini (gin, olive) and a decent bottle of claret, la?

Ash
02-19-2018, 12:55 PM
ty a. It's a bit of a pain to get to, but at least it's nearby St John for dinner afterwards. I'm going to have bone marrow, kidneys, liver, ears and tail. :eat:

A pain to get to? Why, have they moved it from Spitalfields to deepest Hackney or something?

Luckily I don't believe your pretendy thing there about going somewhere to eat all the nasty bits that no-one in their right mind would want to eat. :-)

Viva Prat Vegas
02-19-2018, 12:56 PM
It looks just the place someone of refinement and appreciation of historical authenticity would enjoy
I think you'll absorb the environment with pleasure
What's not to like
And it's only a Tenner

Just hope there are no noisy human beings in the vicinity

Sir C
02-19-2018, 12:56 PM
A pain to get to? Why, have they moved it from Spitalfields to deepest Hackney or something?

Luckily I don't believe your pretendy thing there about going somewhere to eat all the nasty bits that no-one in their right mind would want to eat. :-)

If I can't walk it from Victoria, it's the middle of no where imo.

You'd love St John. Proper old-fashioned British food. The starter of mince on dripping toast is spectacular.

Ash
02-19-2018, 12:57 PM

I used to drink there. Well, when we weren't in one of the five pubs on the high street at the time where young ladies gyrated round a pole.

Sir C
02-19-2018, 12:57 PM
It looks just the place someone of refinement and appreciation of historical authenticity would enjoy
I think you'll absorb the environment with pleasure
What's not to like
And it's only a Tenner

Just hope there are no noisy human beings in the vicinity

I've paid to have the whole place, s.

I struggle with mixing with the general public. They make me nervous and they smell bad.

Ash
02-19-2018, 12:59 PM
If I can't walk it from Victoria, it's the middle of no where imo.

You'd love St John. Proper old-fashioned British food. The starter of mince on dripping toast is spectacular.

I quite like the sound of that one. A little ride on the Circle and District line never hurt.

redgunamo
02-19-2018, 12:59 PM

My favourite bits, imo. My dogs get it all nowadays though, of course :-\

Rich
02-19-2018, 01:00 PM
I used to drink there. Well, when we weren't in one of the five pubs on the high street at the time where young ladies gyrated round a pole.

You didn't look at them gyrating, did you? I wouldn't like to accuse you of being a sexual predator.

Sir C
I quite like the sound of that one. A little ride on the Circle and District line never hurt.

That area is full of hipsters now, I understand? At least I'll have something to laugh at.

Luis Anaconda
Will they do me a Dry Martini (gin, olive) and a decent bottle of claret, la?
I would hope so. Of course, you could man the **** up and have a pint

Ash
02-19-2018, 01:01 PM
You didn't look at them gyrating, did you? I wouldn't like to accuse you of being a sexual predator.

:nono: It was art, mate. No different to watching someone singing or playing a musical instrument.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-19-2018, 01:01 PM
A man after my own heart
A heart which incidentally is not on your Hannibal menu

Seriously, booking the place is a wise move

Sir C
02-19-2018, 01:02 PM
I would hope so. Of course, you could man the **** up and have a pint

A pint of dry martini, that would seperate the men from the boys. Also the live from the dead.

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2018, 01:02 PM

Yes - would often end up in the Rainbow Sports bar in that area. For the sport of course

IUFG
02-19-2018, 01:03 PM
:nono: It was art, mate. No different to watching someone singing or playing a musical instrument.

Yes, but not that many people play pocket billiards at a gig

Ash
02-19-2018, 01:04 PM
That area is full of hipsters now, I understand? At least I'll have something to laugh at.

Yep. I think you can get yourself a bowl of cornflakes for a tenner if you really want to enjoy the high life.

Sir C
02-19-2018, 01:04 PM

I suppose the títtybars have all gone now, have they? There used to be a petrol station opposite one where I bought a quaretr of grass off a helpful chap hanging around by the pumps one night.

Sir C
02-19-2018, 01:05 PM
A man after my own heart
A heart which incidentally is not on your Hannibal menu

Seriously, booking the place is a wise move

They told me they would give us complimentary champagne at the end. Fearful of being forced to drink some appalling Italian fizzy wine, I pleaded teatotallry.

Ash
02-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Yes, but not that many people play pocket billiards at a gig

I think perhaps some of the blokes were when we played at The Bell in Kings Cross back when it was a gay pub. (And when it was called The Bell. And when it was a pub, even.) They seemed to take quite a shine to us.

Also, pocket billiards is what the actual billiards was called when pockets were added to the table, and variants of the game became pool and so on.

Burney
02-19-2018, 01:09 PM

I’ve always been tempted whenever I walk past it. However, I do worry that it might just amount to poking around a weirdo’s gaff.

I mean Dennis can’t be completely normal, can he? :shrug:

Ash
02-19-2018, 01:10 PM
I suppose the títtybars have all gone now, have they? There used to be a petrol station opposite one where I bought a quaretr of grass off a helpful chap hanging around by the pumps one night.

That would have been the White Horse. Trendy pub now, of course. I think Browns is still there.

Burney
02-19-2018, 01:13 PM
They told me they would give us complimentary champagne at the end. Fearful of being forced to drink some appalling Italian fizzy wine, I pleaded teatotallry.

:hehe: I have seen you swill rough cider from a plastic carton. I have seen you lick discharge from a dead pig’s nose. This limp aesthete bit will simply not wash.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-19-2018, 01:15 PM
Sir C "They told me they would give us complimentary champagne at the end. Fearful of being forced to drink some appalling Italian fizzy wine, I pleaded teatotallry."
Goes against the historical grain that does
Champagne back then ?
They ought to blend in with the authenticity by having a maid boil up an iron kettle and serve tea

Viva Prat Vegas
02-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Burney " I have seen you swill rough cider from a plastic carton. I have seen you lick discharge from a dead pig’s nose. This limp aesthete bit will simply not wash."

Good lord :-(
The REAL Sir C sounds almost as rough and ready as Barry Bueno (our one, not the nonce one)

Sir C
02-19-2018, 01:17 PM
I’ve always been tempted whenever I walk past it. However, I do worry that it might just amount to poking around a weirdo’s gaff.

I mean Dennis can’t be completely normal, can he? :shrug:

It might well be shíte, but it's worth an hour to find out, I reckon. I'm more looking forward to the dinner, cooked by shaky ol' Fergus.

Luis Anaconda
02-19-2018, 01:18 PM
That would have been the White Horse. Trendy pub now, of course. I think Browns is still there.

I had a walk down there at Christmas - though the White Horse was still boarded up. It was quite late though, I was hunting for Monster Munch. I miss Monster Munch

Viva Prat Vegas
02-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Burney "However, I do worry that it might just amount to poking around a weirdo’s gaff.
I mean Dennis can’t be completely normal, can he? "

:nod: They haven't picked the most welcoming of pictures on the front page
Looks like John Christie writing to tell a lodger's relative that they've disappeared all of a sudden without trace

Sir C
02-19-2018, 01:20 PM
Burney " I have seen you swill rough cider from a plastic carton. I have seen you lick discharge from a dead pig’s nose. This limp aesthete bit will simply not wash."

Good lord :-(
The REAL Sir C sounds almost as rough and ready as Barry Bueno (our one, not the nonce one)

I'm like the Queen, s. I amend my behaviour to make those around me comfortable. When in Berni's company I am happy to play the 'rough diamond' so that he doesn't feel threatened or intimidated by the manners of a gentleman, since he is, at heart, Irish.

Burney
02-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Burney "However, I do worry that it might just amount to poking around a weirdo’s gaff.
I mean Dennis can’t be completely normal, can he? "

:nod: They haven't picked the most welcoming of pictures on the front page
Looks like John Christie writing to tell a lodger's relative that they've disappeared all of a sudden without trace

:hehe: That made me laugh so much I had a coughing fit. :-(

Rich
02-19-2018, 01:36 PM

I used to have to go to the Sainsbury's Local around the corner from Browns to break a 20. Always thought that it broke protocol to put a note into the pint glass and request change.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-23-2018, 02:56 PM
Did you enjoy your trip back in time Sir C ?

Sir C
02-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Did you enjoy your trip back in time Sir C ?

I sacked it off, s. I'm suffering with some manly infection of the snotty areas :-(

Burney
02-23-2018, 02:59 PM
I sacked it off, s. I'm suffering with some manly infection of the snotty areas :-(

I hope you haven’t got the flu. That’s a bitch.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-23-2018, 02:59 PM
Probably wise
Going there you might have contracted cholera or polio

Sir C
02-23-2018, 03:04 PM
I hope you haven’t got the flu. That’s a bitch.

I'm thinking it's just a cold but I do have the aching joints...

Sir C
02-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Probably wise
Going there you might have contracted cholera or polio

I can't raise the enthusiasm for it to re-book at the moment.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-23-2018, 03:08 PM
May I suggest that Sherlock Holmes shop / museum at 221b Baker Street
Free to enter and the staff are dressed up as 19th Century maids in a wood panelled environment
There is a room downstairs next to the bogs which is cordoned off with a rope but has that Holmesian look about it

Sir C
02-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Free to enter and the staff are dressed up as 19th Century maids in a wood panelled environment
There is a room downstairs next to the bogs which is cordoned off with a rope but has that Holmesian look about it

These 'maids' - is one allowed to touch?

SWv2
02-23-2018, 03:18 PM

Is there a bar?

Viva Prat Vegas
02-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Yes
A murder weapon artifact in a glass case

Viva Prat Vegas
02-23-2018, 03:22 PM
"Sir C These 'maids' - is one allowed to touch?"

Only if you fancy the challenge of several petticoat layers
They're students paying for their education so you would not be interested

Ash
02-23-2018, 03:23 PM

Except of course it isn't at 221b, it is some other number. 221b didn't actually exist when it was written but the place it eventually would have been is now on the site of the Art Deco building which used to be a building society but is now flats.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-23-2018, 03:28 PM
Interesting

From WIKI "For many years, Abbey National employed a full-time secretary to answer mail addressed to Sherlock Holmes. "

Dear Mr Holmes,
I would like to receive your most urgent attention ...