PDA

View Full Version : Fair to say whatever small chance we had of getting top 4 is now gone.

Billy Goat Sverige
02-12-2018, 10:09 AM
Probably going to be 11 points from 4th when we play our next league game against City. All aboard the Europa League train!!

Sir C
02-12-2018, 10:11 AM
Probably going to be 11 points from 4th when we play our next league game against City. All aboard the Europa League train!!

We'll win the Europa League this season, b. Fear not, from now on we're going to be brilliant.

Billy Goat Sverige
02-12-2018, 10:13 AM
We'll win the Europa League this season, b. Fear not, from now on we're going to be brilliant.

There’s a lot of good teams in it this year. We will need a kind draw.

World's End Stella
02-12-2018, 10:15 AM

I only watched the first 40 minutes which I would describe as 'fairly even with Spurs probably edging it' despite the fact that our recent 350k a week signing and Mikkie seemed to both be playing far below their ability. As I left the house I thought to myself 'if we get to halftime 0-0 we'll be in with a chance as we have to get better'.

:-(

Burney
02-12-2018, 10:26 AM
I only watched the first 40 minutes which I would describe as 'fairly even with Spurs probably edging it' despite the fact that our recent 350k a week signing and Mikkie seemed to both be playing far below their ability. As I left the house I thought to myself 'if we get to halftime 0-0 we'll be in with a chance as we have to get better'.

I was antiquing at the time. I got a rather nice pilgrim's flask with a naive depiction of a shepherd, while the wife took a shine to a Royal Doulton match holder/striker. Then we had a rather nice lunch. She had cod cheeks with chilli, garlic and spring onions followed by fish stew, while I had venison croquettes followed by jägerschnitzel.

By the time I remembered we were playing Tottenham, it was all over. I saw the result, shrugged and went about my business.

Life's too short to put oneself through the distress of watching North London derbies, I'm afraid. They're best ignored.

Sir C
02-12-2018, 10:29 AM
I was antiquing at the time. I got a rather nice pilgrim's flask with a naive depiction of a shepherd, while the wife took a shine to a Royal Doulton match holder/striker. Then we had a rather nice lunch. She had cod cheeks with chilli, garlic and spring onions followed by fish stew, while I had venison croquettes followed by jägerschnitzel.

By the time I remembered we were playing Tottenham, it was all over. I saw the result, shrugged and went about my business.

Life's too short to put oneself through the distress of watching North London derbies, I'm afraid. They're best ignored.

I'm a great fan of cod cheeks. I often panné them and deep-fry them as a sort of scampi. Chips, peas and tartare sauce - is there really a better meal available?

Just Trent
02-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Unfortunately, that was gone the moment Wenger signed on again. Another two transfer windows in denial about addressing the midfield and defence. Has led to the worst away record in recent memory. He just isn't the man for the job anymore. In his current state he was never going to get us above a progressing Liverpool and Spurs.

Sir C
02-12-2018, 10:30 AM
There’s a lot of good teams in it this year. We will need a kind draw.

Ah, but it's almost spring time b. You know what we do in spring time, don't you?

Burney
02-12-2018, 10:33 AM
I'm a great fan of cod cheeks. I often panné them and deep-fry them as a sort of scampi. Chips, peas and tartare sauce - is there really a better meal available?

I love them. wd cods imo.

Do you get them from your monger?

Burney
02-12-2018, 10:35 AM
Ah, but it's almost spring time b. You know what we do in spring time, don't you?

:nod: We're ace when the pressure's off.

Sir C
02-12-2018, 10:35 AM
I love them. wd cods imo.

Do you get them from your monger?

Yes, they're one of the things he always has. Cod cheeks, squid and those large Madagascan farmed prawns. Would it kill the daft sod to keep a couple of lobsters and a bag of clams about the place?

Just Trent
02-12-2018, 10:38 AM

Isn't this a bit of an extended winter though? Still snowing in Feb, and we've got to go and play in Sweden on Thursday night. :snow:

Sir C
02-12-2018, 10:39 AM
Isn't this a bit of an extended winter though? Still snowing in Feb, and we've got to go and play in Sweden on Thursday night. :snow:

Ooh, are we on the telly on Thursday? I must make the Ikea-style meatballs in our honour.

Burney
02-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Ooh, are we on the telly on Thursday? I must make the Ikea-style meatballs in our honour.

Last time I was in Sweden, I had Jansson's Temptation. It was yummy. You should do that instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janssons_frestelse

Sir C
02-12-2018, 10:46 AM
Last time I was in Sweden, I had Jansson's Temptation. It was yummy. You should do that instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janssons_frestelse

Not allowed potatoes this month. I'm living on beans, sweet potatoes, wholemeal pasta and brown rice.

Fúck my luck.

Burney
02-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Not allowed potatoes this month. I'm living on beans, sweet potatoes, wholemeal pasta and brown rice.

Fúck my luck.

I can't believe you're actually eating wholemeal pasta. It's a betrayal of food. :-(

Sweet potatoes are alright, but halfway through eating them and thinking 'these aren't too bad, actually', one remembers that they still aren't potatoes and are in fact a pïsspoor substitute for same.

Sir C
02-12-2018, 10:53 AM
I can't believe you're actually eating wholemeal pasta. It's a betrayal of food. :-(

Sweet potatoes are alright, but halfway through eating them and thinking 'these aren't too bad, actually', one remembers that they still aren't potatoes and are in fact a pïsspoor substitute for same.

I haven't actually succombed to the pasta yet. Thank God February is a short month, I might get away with only having it once or twice.

Roast chicken with broccolli, cabbage and carrt and swede mash sounds ok, doesn't it? Until you peer into the gravy boat and remember that there are no spuds to soak it up :-(

World's End Stella
02-12-2018, 10:57 AM

I made a quite stunning beef Bourgogne Sunday night served with the finest mash I have ever made. My ungrateful children moaned and Mrs WES claimed it was 'very good but over-seasoned'. Ingrates.

First time I have ever boiled the potatoes with the skins I had just removed, not sure if that's why it was so good. :rubchin:

Burney
02-12-2018, 11:01 AM
I haven't actually succombed to the pasta yet. Thank God February is a short month, I might get away with only having it once or twice.

Roast chicken with broccolli, cabbage and carrt and swede mash sounds ok, doesn't it? Until you peer into the gravy boat and remember that there are no spuds to soak it up :-(

In my experience of this, you will eventually tire of trying to find decent potato substitutes because there simply aren't any. Squash, sweet potato, parsnips, swedes - all ultimately shīte because what you actually want is potato and they simply cannot match up.

Much better to go the bean/lentil route and do something more interesting with those in lieu of potatoes.

Sir C
02-12-2018, 11:09 AM
In my experience of this, you will eventually tire of trying to find decent potato substitutes because there simply aren't any. Squash, sweet potato, parsnips, swedes - all ultimately shīte because what you actually want is potato and they simply cannot match up.

Much better to go the bean/lentil route and do something more interesting with those in lieu of potatoes.

Lentils or beans are the usual choice tbh.

Burney
02-12-2018, 11:11 AM
Lentils or beans are the usual choice tbh.

I do a rather nice baked bean type thing with haricots, lardons, sage, bayleaf, tomato, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, chicken stock that would almost - almost - make you forget that there aren't any fecking spuds.

Tony C
02-12-2018, 11:32 AM
At least we’re guaranteed a EL place next season #LeagueCup

Pokster
02-12-2018, 11:37 AM
At least we’re guaranteed a EL place next season #LeagueCup

It's an away game so we will be gubbed, then Burnley will overtake us and we won't get in Europe at all....

so new 3 yr contract for AW wrapped up

Just Trent
02-12-2018, 11:45 AM
It's an away game so we will be gubbed, then Burnley will overtake us and we won't get in Europe at all....

so new 3 yr contract for AW wrapped up

There is already a bit of chatter about giving him a one year extension to this deal. Mainly to avoid next season being overshadowed by the whole 'last year' scenario again.

:hehe: Will the madness never end?

Ash
02-12-2018, 12:47 PM

It's usually cold in Feb. In March the cold turns to rain and wind, and in April the wind is slightly milder.

Ash
02-12-2018, 12:48 PM

With this hopeless away form we'll be out of that too before long.

SWv2
02-12-2018, 12:52 PM
With this hopeless away form we'll be out of that too before long.

Not this round A.

:nono:

We shall laugh in the face of these Swedish part-timers. Mesut probably earns more in one week than their entire staff.

Ash
02-12-2018, 12:56 PM
There is already a bit of chatter about giving him a one year extension to this deal. Mainly to avoid next season being overshadowed by the whole 'last year' scenario again.

:hehe: Will the madness never end?

What depresses me is the man's inability to take any responsibility. I was basically ok with ticking over in the top 4 while waiting for the commercial deals to improve, but here we are now wondering whether we can hold on to sixth, and Mr I-have-managed-1200- games is wondering why his side is utter toilet on the road, as if it cannot possibly have anything to do with him.

He says that every decision he makes is for the good of the club, as if he is some kind of infallible pope-like being, who cannot distinguish between himself and the club and cannot for a second comprehend the notion that being very very good at something once does not mean that you stay very very good at it for ever.

You've upset me now. Mr Trent. I was hoping that he'd be eased out in the summer. :-(

Sir C
02-12-2018, 01:00 PM
What depresses me is the man's inability to take any responsibility. I was basically ok with ticking over in the top 4 while waiting for the commercial deals to improve, but here we are now wondering whether we can hold on to sixth, and Mr I-have-managed-1200- games is wondering why his side is utter toilet on the road, as if it cannot possibly have anything to do with him.

He says that every decision he makes is for the good of the club, as if he is some kind of infallible pope-like being, who cannot distinguish between himself and the club and cannot for a second comprehend the notion that being very very good at something once does not mean that you stay very very good at it for ever.

You've upset me now. Mr Trent. I was hoping that he'd be eased out in the summer. :-(

Wait, am I detecting that you have *gulp* lost faith? :-(

IUFG
02-12-2018, 01:04 PM

Well, whatever decisions he's making at the moment for the good of the club...the future better be pretty ****ing spectacular imo

Herbert Augustus Chapman
02-12-2018, 01:13 PM

Mercy me. Nicosia Gooner will be polishing his most terrifying instruments of torture for Ash for he hath committed the foulest of all possible heresies; apostasy!

Sir C
02-12-2018, 01:15 PM
Mercy me. Nicosia Gooner will be polishing his most terrifying instruments of torture for Ash for he hath committed the foulest of all possible heresies; apostasy!

Let us not mock one of our own, h. That would be... unfortunate.

Peter
02-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Well, whatever decisions he's making at the moment for the good of the club...the future better be pretty ****ing spectacular imo

It is at least nice to know that he isnt deliberately making bad decisions to sabotage the club, even if some of them appear that way.

If I was manager I would believe that every decision that I made was in the interest of the club. Almost all of them would be wrong, of course, and the only one that would genuinely benefit the club would be my decision to resign.

Wenger is in a very similar position. Surely even he can see that he needs to leave......I am stil stunned that he signed up for another two years. He had a great chance to walk away with a shred of dignity and turned it down.

Ash
02-12-2018, 01:27 PM

Yes. Yes, you are.

Sir C
02-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Yes. Yes, you are.

May the Lord have mercy upon you soul. :-(

Viva Prat Vegas
02-12-2018, 01:37 PM
The Lord has his work cut out dealing with almost all our souls

SWv2
02-12-2018, 01:45 PM

Good Lord A.

I actually had to applaud the man's honesty on Saturday when asked about the Kane / Koscielny challenge, one which i expected him to suggest it a foul but no he just dismissed it.

Anyhow, 6th again. Ho hum.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
02-12-2018, 01:47 PM

Surprising lack of bile on here about Saturday. Probably in keeping with the general apathy among Arsenal fans. The acceptance that we are regressing on the pitch has rather sunk in and one suspects that this is the norm for Arsenal fans until Wenger leaves :shrug:

SWv2
02-12-2018, 01:48 PM
Surprising lack of bile on here about Saturday. Probably in keeping with the general apathy among Arsenal fans. The acceptance that we are regressing on the pitch has rather sunk in and one suspects that this is the norm for Arsenal fans until Wenger leaves :shrug:

Yet at half-time I would expect to a man we were quietly confident.

Sir C
02-12-2018, 01:50 PM

Going away to the side constantly being bandied as second best in the league and narrowly losing... disappointing because it's them, of course, but hardly grounds for bile?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
02-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Good Lord A.

I actually had to applaud the man's honesty on Saturday when asked about the Kane / Koscielny challenge, one which i expected him to suggest it a foul but no he just dismissed it.

6th again. We haven't finished sixth in decades, sw?

SWv2
02-12-2018, 01:52 PM
6th again. We haven't finished sixth in decades, sw?

Really, where did we finish last season?

Viva Prat Vegas
02-12-2018, 01:53 PM
I would be annoyed if we had been robbed but the result was so decidedly fair and square that there was even barely any anger on AFTV

Viva Prat Vegas
02-12-2018, 01:54 PM
We finished 5th Steve

SWv2
02-12-2018, 01:55 PM
We finished 5th Steve

So we are in further decline. No CL football again and Ozil activating the clause in his new deal which allows him to leave.

Wenger out.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Yes
This is the first season in the 21st Century where Mind The Gap finally works against us

Ash
02-12-2018, 02:06 PM
Good Lord A.

I gave it a swerve to be honest. Checked at half-time and was surprised to see us level. Checked at the end and though 'ho hum, narrow defeat' and then read that they could have had a jar full of goals. Top four gone now, realistically, so there seems to be a pattern developing here.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
02-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Yet at half-time I would expect to a man we were quietly confident.

At half time happy, yes, confident, I'm not so sure. It took one moment of sloppy play and all the belief in being able to defend went out of the players. We simply fell apart and were lucky that it was not 3 or 4.

Traditionally, Awimb would have been in meltdown.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
02-12-2018, 02:15 PM
Really, where did we finish last season?

I thought we finished 5th and ManU 6th?

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
02-12-2018, 02:20 PM
I gave it a swerve to be honest. Checked at half-time and was surprised to see us level. Checked at the end and though 'ho hum, narrow defeat' and then read that they could have had a jar full of goals. Top four gone now, realistically, so there seems to be a pattern developing here.

We just fell apart after the first goal. Every time we got the ball we gave it away. Some of it was good Spurs pressure, a lot of it was just really piss poor play and players not taking responsibility.

Of course with my new smar****ch and recent (4 successive season now) apathy towards getting all worked up, my pulse remained a constant 71 BPM.

SWv2
02-12-2018, 02:26 PM
We just fell apart after the first goal. Every time we got the ball we gave it away. Some of it was good Spurs pressure, a lot of it was just really piss poor play and players not taking responsibility.

Of course with my new smar****ch and recent (4 successive season now) apathy towards getting all worked up, my pulse remained a constant 71 BPM.

smar****ch

:clap:

eastgermanautos
02-12-2018, 02:32 PM

I thought so too. It's like you were in my head like a frikkin carwash. :-D

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
02-12-2018, 03:13 PM
smar****ch

:clap:

That is f**kin LOL.