PDA

View Full Version : Was taken to “the best Pizzeria outside Italy” last night by a bunch of Neapolitans

Monty92
02-01-2018, 10:42 AM
These people are fúcking mental. A huge platter of fried dough and giant pizza-sized focaccia to start, then pizzas for main (no toppings other than tomato and mozzarella, otherwise it’s not “authentic”), then more dough for dessert, this time coated in nutella and cream. Woke up at 3am and frantically sunk two full pints of water.

Anyway, perhaps even weirder was that according to one AC Milan fan, the Inter team that beat us 3-0 in the Champions League a bunch of years back are known in the city, without irony, as "The Lions of Highbury”.

Sir C
02-01-2018, 10:45 AM
These people are fúcking mental. A huge platter of fried dough and giant pizza-sized focaccia to start, then pizzas for main (no toppings other than tomato and mozzarella, otherwise it’s not “authentic”), then more dough for dessert, this time coated in nutella and cream. Woke up at 3am and frantically sunk two full pints of water.

Anyway, perhaps even weirder was that according to one AC Milan fan, the Inter team that beat us 3-0 in the Champions League a bunch of years back are known in the city, without irony, as "The Lions of Highbury”.

Hold on, WES told me about the best pizzeria outside Italy, it's a branch of Dominos in the all-inclusive resort he goes to in Dubai. :nod:

Actually, he says their deep-pan Hawaiian with the frozen prawns and the tinned pineapple is better than anything you'd find in Italy.

SWv2
02-01-2018, 10:45 AM

What sort of rampant puddle jumper are you ffs?

Pat Vegas
02-01-2018, 10:48 AM

Che Cazzo!

Where is this place?

Monty92
02-01-2018, 10:49 AM
What sort of rampant puddle jumper are you ffs?

So it's homo to respond to being force-fed salt for 2 hours by being very, very thirsty?

Monty92
02-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Che Cazzo!

Where is this place?

L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele in Baker Street. It's owned by the same family as its Naples' namesake, which is known as the best in the city.

Pat Vegas
02-01-2018, 10:55 AM
L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele in Baker Street. It's owned by the same family as its Naples' namesake, which is known as the best in the city.

I remember went to a cool cafe near Goodge Street. secret deal where you bought a panini and a bottle of beer for a £5 and you could go down the secret basement and watch the champions league final.
so I went there when AC Milan got beat by Liverpool. Never seen such a contrast of emotions in one place in the space of a couple of hours.

if I have to pick an Italian team I've been instructed it has to be Inter.

SWv2
02-01-2018, 10:59 AM
So it's homo to respond to being force-fed salt for 2 hours by being very, very thirsty?

Force fed?

We can all experience a post meal thirst, at which point one drinks water.

You awake and frantically drink like a chap lost in the desert for 2 days.

World's End Stella
02-01-2018, 11:03 AM
Hold on, WES told me about the best pizzeria outside Italy, it's a branch of Dominos in the all-inclusive resort he goes to in Dubai. :nod:

Actually, he says their deep-pan Hawaiian with the frozen prawns and the tinned pineapple is better than anything you'd find in Italy.

Worst pizza I've ever had in my life was in Verona. At a place off the main bits which was heaving with locals at lunch hour.

Absolutely awful. You'd think the Eyeties could make a pizza that wasn't dripping in water ffs!

Monty92
02-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Worst pizza I've ever had in my life was in Verona. At a place off the main bits which was heaving with locals at lunch hour.

Absolutely awful. You'd think the Eyeties could make a pizza that wasn't dripping in water ffs!

They probably saw you coming.

Which let's be honest would put anyone off their dough-rolling technique.

World's End Stella
02-01-2018, 11:07 AM
They probably saw you coming.

Which let's be honest would put anyone off their dough-rolling technique.

No, I was with Mrs WES who is very attractive and just the sort of look the Eyeties go mad for.

And other than one osteria that we discovered, all the restaurants in Verona did Italian food that was poor by London or NY standards. Some of it was just embarrassingly amateurish.

Burney
02-01-2018, 11:09 AM
Force fed?

We can all experience a post meal thirst, at which point one drinks water.

You awake and frantically drink like a chap lost in the desert for 2 days.

In fact, the whole post was screamingly effete. Man goes to pizzeria and complains it was a bit carb heavy. Fückssake.

Sir C
02-01-2018, 11:09 AM
No, I was with Mrs WES who is very attractive and just the sort of look the Eyeties go mad for.

And other than one osteria that we discovered, all the restaurants in Verona did Italian food that was poor by London or NY standards. Some of it was just embarrassingly amateurish.

:clap: This is simply magnificent.

Monty92
02-01-2018, 11:12 AM
In fact, the whole post was screamingly effete. Man goes to pizzeria and complains it was a bit carb heavy. Fückssake.

Your mum's a bit carb heavy, imo

World's End Stella
02-01-2018, 11:14 AM
:clap: This is simply magnificent.

If you're interested the same was true of Florence where the 'recommended' restaurant was incredibly average. Again, a local osteria was discovered that provided a reasonably good experience.

But I'm glad you can appreciate my ability to look at food objectively and base my views on the food itself. As opposed to revealing my ignorance by claiming that you can only get good food in locals that I have visited thereby revealing myself to be a small minded muppet with no real ability to understand or appreciate food.

Like you. :thumbup:

Ganpati's Goonerz--AFC's Aboriginal Fertility Cult
02-01-2018, 11:15 AM

The wops know nothing about pizza. Go to France and get the base blanc ones with Crème fraîche. I might be biased cos I hate tomato.

PS didn't we put 5 past the Inter in the return?

Monty92
02-01-2018, 11:17 AM
If you're interested the same was true of Florence where the 'recommended' restaurant was incredibly average. Again, a local osteria was discovered that provided a reasonably good experience.

But I'm glad you can appreciate my ability to look at food objectively and base my views on the food itself. As opposed to revealing my ignorance by claiming that you can only get good food in locals that I have visited thereby revealing myself to be a small minded muppet with no real ability to understand or appreciate food.

Charlie recommended me a fantastic restaurant in Florence. I forced the missus to go and share a massive fúck off Bistecca alla Fiorentina, even though she had basically been ill for the entire week of our holiday and felt as sick as a dog.

I say ill - turned out the thick bint was 8 weeks pregnant :rolleyes:

Burney
02-01-2018, 11:17 AM

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Burney
02-01-2018, 11:19 AM
The wops know nothing about pizza. Go to France and get the base blanc ones with Crème fraîche. I might be biased cos I hate tomato.

PS didn't we put 5 past the Inter in the return?

The best pizzas I've eaten have been in Sicily and Nice. They all had tomato on because pizzas do.

Burney
02-01-2018, 11:20 AM
Charlie recommended me a fantastic restaurant in Florence. I forced the missus to go and share a massive fúck off Bistecca alla Fiorentina, even though she had basically been ill for the entire week of our holiday and felt as sick as a dog.

I say ill - turned out the thick bint was 8 weeks pregnant :rolleyes:

Ironic that she was put off a large portion of meat by a such a small one.

Sir C
02-01-2018, 11:24 AM

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

:hehe: The irony is that it's actually pretty hard to consistently eat badly in Italy, so we know he has some talent, anyway.

Monty92
02-01-2018, 11:24 AM
Ironic that she was put off a large portion of meat by a such a small one.

Small, but perfectly formed, what with it not being tainted by a rancid, pointless, smeg-gathering flap of skin.

My name is Monty and I was mutilated as a baby :-|

Burney
02-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Small, but perfectly formed, what with it not being tainted by a rancid, pointless, smeg-gathering flap of skin.

Evolution doesn't do pointless, m. My foreskin protects my huge, throbbing, glistening glans, ensuring that my experience of sex is much better than yours.

Burney
02-01-2018, 11:29 AM
:hehe: The irony is that it's actually pretty hard to consistently eat badly in Italy, so we know he has some talent, anyway.

The exception I'd give is Rome, where i found eating well on any sort of a budget well-nigh impossible.

Monty92
02-01-2018, 11:30 AM
Evolution doesn't do pointless, m. My foreskin protects my huge, throbbing, glistening glans, ensuring that my experience of sex is much better than yours.

Has it ever seemed like I've not enjoyed myself to you? :rolleyes:

And I'd be keen to know what evolutionary purpose your earlobes perform.

Sir C
02-01-2018, 11:33 AM
The exception I'd give is Rome, where i found eating well on any sort of a budget well-nigh impossible.

Basic schoolboy error. 30 euro invested into the pocket of your friendly concierge on day 1 will ensure proper recommendations.

I did eat the very worst pizza of my life in Rome once, but that was entirely self-inflicted. The place was clearly a tourist trap but I couldn't be bothered to go further. Stupid.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
02-01-2018, 11:33 AM

That's Amore in Temple Fortune. The pizzas there are simply outstanding.

Peter
02-01-2018, 11:37 AM

Just shows your remarkable ignorance, again. Dominos dont do deep pan. :p

Burney
02-01-2018, 11:44 AM
Has it ever seemed like I've not enjoyed myself to you? :rolleyes:

And I'd be keen to know what evolutionary purpose your earlobes perform.

My earlobes - being pendulous - tell others that I am an intelligent, thoughtful and sophisticated person - unlike those misshapen freaks who don't have them.

Burney
02-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Basic schoolboy error. 30 euro invested into the pocket of your friendly concierge on day 1 will ensure proper recommendations.

I did eat the very worst pizza of my life in Rome once, but that was entirely self-inflicted. The place was clearly a tourist trap but I couldn't be bothered to go further. Stupid.

I was too young and impecunious to be splashing out largesse, I'm afraid.

Pokster
02-01-2018, 11:56 AM

Depends which end of your cock you are talking about

Pokster
02-01-2018, 11:57 AM
Just shows your remarkable ignorance, again. Dominos dont do deep pan. :p

And Hawaiian doesn't have prawns

SWv2
02-01-2018, 12:00 PM
Get a decent pizza in Pizza Express on Upper Street.

Food snobs can do one.

Burney
02-01-2018, 12:03 PM

Food snobs can do one.

:nod: A lot of shít is talked about pizza. Yes, there are abominations, but the basics are pretty easy to master and replicate. Ultimately, if you have decent dough thin enough, a good tomato sauce, mozzarella and the right sort of oven, you're basically there.

Sir C
02-01-2018, 12:04 PM

Food snobs can do one.

Pizza Express do a very decent pizza :shrug: Although the last time I had one it was tiny.

Burney
02-01-2018, 12:04 PM
And Hawaiian doesn't have prawns

No pizza should have prawns. The only sea creature that should ever get near a pizza is the anchovy.

Burney
02-01-2018, 12:05 PM
Pizza Express do a very decent pizza :shrug: Although the last time I had one it was tiny.

Does the Nugent still have that pizza stand?

Sir C
02-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Does the Nugent still have that pizza stand?

Yes, and it's still excellent. They've opened another one at Surrey Quays, as well. wd pizza blokes.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-01-2018, 12:07 PM
Stone baked Sourdough is the favoured base
None of that deep pan dross

SWv2
02-01-2018, 12:08 PM
:nod: A lot of shít is talked about pizza. Yes, there are abominations, but the basics are pretty easy to master and replicate. Ultimately, if you have decent dough thin enough, a good tomato sauce, mozzarella and the right sort of oven, you're basically there.

I make my own.

:hide:

Tomato, mozzarella, mushrooms.

Any more than that and you're in silly land.

Burney
02-01-2018, 12:11 PM
I make my own.

:hide:

Tomato, mozzarella, mushrooms.

Any more than that and you're in silly land.

:nod: An excess of ingredients (and too low a heat) is what leads to watery sogginess imo

Viva Prat Vegas
02-01-2018, 12:12 PM
Steve is your oven hot enough for a decent pizza ?
I thought 400 degrees was the correct temperature

Burney
02-01-2018, 12:13 PM
Yes, and it's still excellent. They've opened another one at Surrey Quays, as well. wd pizza blokes.

I have a strange liking for the Calzone. I've no idea why, since it's just a folded over pizza containing lethally hot ingredients that you eat with a knife and fork. But somehow its shape pleases me.

SWv2
02-01-2018, 12:14 PM

It's as hot as it can go and it works. Pizza stone to give you a crispy bottom, if you will.

Never going to mirror a full on wood fired pizza oven but it's a home jobbie so wouldn't expect it to.

Sir C
02-01-2018, 12:15 PM
I have a strange liking for the Calzone. I've no idea why, since it's just a folded over pizza containing lethally hot ingredients that you eat with a knife and fork. But somehow its shape pleases me.

Yes, I confess to a weakness for the calzone. It needs greasey processed pork and chilli, mind. But then, what doesn't?

Burney
02-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Yes, I confess to a weakness for the calzone. It needs greasey processed pork and chilli, mind. But then, what doesn't?

While we're on pizza, people who don't eat their pizza crusts mystify me. They're the best bit.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-01-2018, 12:19 PM
I disagree that the crusts are the best bit but agree that the people who don't eat them are mysterious
Same with toast

Sir C
02-01-2018, 12:20 PM
While we're on pizza, people who don't eat their pizza crusts mystify me. They're the best bit.

As long as they're nice and crispy, with burnt bits. And dipped in chilli oil, naturally.

I'm starving now. I dound a packet of flatbreads! I'm going to cover the flatbreads in bolognese sauce, add grated cheddar, parmesan and chilli, and bake it in the oven. I shall call it the Cray Valley pizza.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-01-2018, 12:20 PM
SWv2 "Pizza stone to give you a crispy bottom, if you will."

I like this idea
I would ask if you roll your own dough but can imagine the response

Viva Prat Vegas
02-01-2018, 12:21 PM
Sir C " I dound a packet of flatbreads! "

Did you Melvyn ?

Sir C
02-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Sir C " I dound a packet of flatbreads! "

Did you Melvyn ?

It bade be bery habby.

Burney
02-01-2018, 12:25 PM

I like this idea

It's genuinely almost impossible to get the dough to the required thinness using a rolling pin. You do have to do a bit of that chucking it about thing to stretch it (not as hard as it looks, btw)

Burney
02-01-2018, 12:26 PM
As long as they're nice and crispy, with burnt bits. And dipped in chilli oil, naturally.

I'm starving now. I dound a packet of flatbreads! I'm going to cover the flatbreads in bolognese sauce, add grated cheddar, parmesan and chilli, and bake it in the oven. I shall call it the Cray Valley pizza.

That sounds out-fücking-standing. Do you not have any mozzarella due to your wife's odd predilection for it on bol?

Sir C
02-01-2018, 12:27 PM
That sounds out-fücking-standing. Do you not have any mozzarella due to your wife's odd predilection for it on bol?

All out of mozzarella, hence the cheddar. Fusion food is still fashionable, right?

Burney
02-01-2018, 12:28 PM
All out of mozzarella, hence the cheddar. Fusion food is still fashionable, right?

Well if people are eating falafel with guacamole, I'd say a bit of Ched Evans is hardly problematic on pizza. At least you're staying on the same continent.

Alberto Balsam Rodriguez
02-01-2018, 12:31 PM

the base of the oven should be 300 degrees. The air temp should be no less than 500 when the pizza is cooking meaning that it should be closer to 600 when the pizza goes into it.

IUFG
02-01-2018, 12:33 PM
Fusion food is still fashionable, right?

I was told it is. 'African food' is going to be the next big thing apparently.

I was told this last weekend by a woman who refers to herself / her job as "a Foodie".

Now, she couldn't tell me whether this was Moroccan tagine stuff, falafal, sadza or chakalaka, merely "African influenced cuisine"

Foodie? Fúck off, imo

Luis Anaconda
02-01-2018, 12:34 PM

I was told this last weekend by a woman who refers to herself / her job as "a Foodie".

Now, she couldn't tell me whether this was Moroccan tagine stuff, falafal, sadza or chakalaka, merely "African influenced cuisine"

Foodie? Fúck off, imo
Is she living in 2007?

Sir C
02-01-2018, 12:35 PM

Foodie? Fúck off, imo

People keep saying that Ethiopian food is going to be the next big thing. Fúck knows what Bob Geldoff would say.

IUFG
02-01-2018, 12:36 PM
Is she living in 2007?

she can live wherever she likes.

As long as it is very far away from me.

an 11 year twist in time fabric seems reasonable.

IUFG
02-01-2018, 12:37 PM
People keep saying that Ethiopian food is going to be the next big thing. Fúck knows what Bob Geldoff would say.

He'd probably draft in the hat-flying, midget, ****ehawk, Bono as his mouthpiece

SWv2
02-01-2018, 12:37 PM

I like this idea

I do.

:vsign:

The most pain in the arse piece of the entire process.

Viva Prat Vegas
02-01-2018, 12:38 PM
I never know whether to wash the Basmati or not
Consistency is a problem

SWv2
02-01-2018, 12:39 PM

Foodie? Fúck off, imo

She needs her shít kicked in tbh.

They all do. I expect Monty and his Mrs refer to themselves as "foodies". Essentially just another word for ****.

IUFG
02-01-2018, 12:43 PM

:nod:

She forced a business card into my hand. It contained the url for her blog/vlog thing.

There was a handy bin for it, next to the door of the cafe we were in.

Burney
02-01-2018, 12:45 PM

If people say 'African Food' to me, I tend to think maize, millet and cassava. I assume that's all they eat. :shrug:

IUFG
02-01-2018, 12:47 PM
I assume that's all they eat. :shrug:

and a bit of khat.

mmmmmmm, khat

Pat Vegas
02-01-2018, 12:49 PM

Food snobs can do one.

I remember when it was called Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Pizza Express but that wasn't very express.

redgunamo
02-01-2018, 12:51 PM
If people say 'African Food' to me, I tend to think maize, millet and cassava. I assume that's all they eat. :shrug:

Not at all :-|

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nu4j6mQlgCA/THNwQ8WWBvI/AAAAAAAAARY/_rR-M5yViA0/s1600/mouse.jpg

Monty92
02-01-2018, 01:00 PM

They all do. I expect Monty and his Mrs refer to themselves as "foodies". Essentially just another word for ****.

xxxxxxxxxx

Burney
02-01-2018, 01:11 PM
Not at all :-|

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_nu4j6mQlgCA/THNwQ8WWBvI/AAAAAAAAARY/_rR-M5yViA0/s1600/mouse.jpg

:-( Well I suppose it’s better than locusts and whatnot

redgunamo
02-01-2018, 01:12 PM
:-( Well I suppose it’s better than locusts and whatnot

Not really, no.

Burney
02-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Not really, no.

I was trying to be nice. :-(

World's End Stella
02-01-2018, 01:35 PM
So I was persuaded by the sight of the falafel bowl being made for the chap in front of me to go for that, with guacamole, of course. And you still get the pita, just on the side.

In hindsight, I think I prefer it all jammed into a pita and eaten like a sandwich, seems to bring everything together better and avoids one having to shovel the stuff together that you want to eat together.

Live and learn, I suppose. :shrug:

redgunamo
02-01-2018, 01:39 PM
I was trying to be nice. :-(

No need, I think. It's a ****hole, as the man allegedly said.

Sir C
02-01-2018, 02:01 PM
No need, I think. It's a ****hole, as the man allegedly said.

Nyama chomba :cloud9:

redgunamo
02-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Nyama chomba :cloud9:

I've heard that one before somewhere. What does it mean?

Sir C
02-01-2018, 02:08 PM
I've heard that one before somewhere. What does it mean?

Literally, 'mixed meat', but it just means barbecue. There's nothing quite as wonderful as a barbecue in the bush, listening to the hyena whooping and praying that chef washed his hands after going for a shít this afternoon. #racistimperialistpatriarchalpig #menotchef

redgunamo
02-01-2018, 02:15 PM
Literally, 'mixed meat', but it just means barbecue. There's nothing quite as wonderful as a barbecue in the bush, listening to the hyena whooping and praying that chef washed his hands after going for a shít this afternoon. #racistimperialistpatriarchalpig #menotchef

Ah, yes. That's it. #bushmeat

Ash
02-01-2018, 02:28 PM

Fizzy bread. That's my recollection of the Ethiopian restaurant round the corner.

Ash
02-01-2018, 02:30 PM

:wave:

Can't be doing that all that work and no actual tomato or cheese on it. I've gone off bread in recent years. Merely a vehicle for more interesting food imo.

World's End Stella
02-01-2018, 02:35 PM
:wave:

Can't be doing that all that work and no actual tomato or cheese on it. I've gone off bread in recent years. Merely a vehicle for more interesting food imo.

Dominos has those garlic mayo sort of things you dip the crusts in, quite nice actually. Not that I need them as, like Burney, I quite enjoy the crusts.

Provided the pizza hasn't been cooked until they are hard, of course. A properly cooked pizza has the crusts as only being slightly firm. Yummy. :eat: